Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Thats Odd because I have no Data Connection (T-Mobile did disable that for me) and still i can use the GPS
    So I am quite sure it is possible
    me too... i have DATA and WIFI deactivated and i get a GPS signal... not a very good one right now but its an awful weather out there
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TippiX View Post
    Sometimes, there is no map. Instead, a rectangle shows "...more OSM coming soon"? Is there no map material for the region?
    This happens sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe the tile was updated exactly at this time when you tried to download it. It's out of my hand. It is automatically fixed the next time the program tries to download the graphics (zooming in and out helps).

One suggestion: is it possible, when zooming, to display the bitmap from the old zoom level, resized/resampled, until the new material is downloaded and displayed? This would be nicer than a gray background.
    Minimap simply uses the OpenLayers library for rendering the map tiles. So it's not easy to modify the zooming behaviour.

Oh, still one question: do you use cache on the internal memory, and if, how much?
    Caching is handled completely by the webOS webkit engine. So Minimap stores no map tiles on its own.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    would it be possible to save the map to the device in the future? or download the maps for an area? should ne legal with OSM.
    This is dangerous. As far as I know OSM doesn't allow bulk downloads. You may be lucky and they don't catch you but if you are catched they may block your IP address. I'm not going to implement such a feature, sorry.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Suggestion - I understand the entire world is metric but Americans are going to want an option for United States customary system units. Miles per hour, accuracy in feet....blah, blah, blah. Metric means nothing to them, unless perhaps, they are enlisted.
    I already wondered when this question would come up Yes, I can add a setting for switching this data from meters to miles and feet. I hope I read this correctly on Wikipedia that you guys are using the "statute mile" of 5,280 feet (1,760 yards, or 1,609.344 meters) and I can ignore stuff like the scott's mile and the irish mile and the nautical mile. Is that correct?
    Yep it's a statute mile. Hopefully we will just go metric like the rest of the world one day but until then....United States customary units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I really don't want to push but I know that there is a possibility to download maps from OSM.
    OpenStreetMap - Navit's Wiki
    But then again it might not be so easy to use those maps for your project.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Holliefant View Post
    I really don't want to push but I know that there is a possibility to download maps from OSM.
    OpenStreetMap - Navit's Wiki
    But then again it might not be so easy to use those maps for your project.
    That's something different. You can download the OSM data (Which contains the vector information as far as I know) but this is not what Minimap uses. Minimap uses pre-rendered tile graphics which are coming from the open street map tile servers. And the policy for using these tiles says "Bulk downloading is NOT encouraged. Do not download Tiles unnecessarily."
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The GPS radio in a stock Pre doesn't work offline, so wouldn't do you much
    good to offline the data.

ian
    Does anyone know if this works if you "jailbreak" your GPS?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

I am not sure what good it would do since you have to have some sort of live connection, but there might be a situation where you have wi-fi, but no network coverage.
  10.    #30  
    Someone knows a free source for speed camera POIs which I could integrate into Minimap? I could not find anything (just commercial stuff). I hoped that there is a community like the one from OpenStreetMap out there who maintains a free database with registered speed cameras...
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kayahr View Post
    Someone knows a free source for speed camera POIs which I could integrate into Minimap? I could not find anything (just commercial stuff). I hoped that there is a community like the one from OpenStreetMap out there who maintains a free database with registered speed cameras...
    Hi, one can be finde here => POI Genie | FREE Speed Camera database and Speed Camera locations

Do you see any chance to add a turn by turn navigation as we all do not have any 'TomTom' like appliaction on the Pre and the US package is not working on the GSM version :-(

HaPe
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    That's only for UK. I'm looking for something more international. The stuff from scdb.info looks promising but unfortunately it's not free...

Do you see any chance to add a turn by turn navigation as we all do not have any 'TomTom' like appliaction on the Pre and the US package is not working on the GSM version :-(
    Nope. I think openrouteservice.org is the best way to go but it has not published a public API yet but they said they will provide one some day. So I have to wait til then.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi kayahr,

someone in the German Palm Pre: welches Navigationssystem? - GPS/Navigation - Nexave Palmforum forum mention that there is a Android application called AndNav in a Nutshell - AndNavWiki .

I know that the current development environment do not allow to compile classic Linux applications for the Pre, but do you think a cross por could be doable? Op perhaps you can reuse some concepts.

HaPe
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I know that the current development environment do not allow to compile classic Linux applications for the Pre, but do you think a cross por could be doable? Op perhaps you can reuse some concepts.
    AndNav2 is also using OpenRouteService.org. So it's all the same: When ORS comes out with a stable public API, then it will most likely be possible to integrate routing services into Minimap.

But don't expect a full navigation software. It could NEVER be as good as a TomTom or other commercial product because it would still be based on tile graphics. It can not interpolate bad GPS coordinates and put you back onto the road if GPS coordinates seem to place you into the river 100 meters left of the road. It can not tell you to drive on the LEFT lane. It can't tell you "Take the next road to the left" because it simply don't know the roads and where they are. It just has some graphics and some specific routing information from ORS. It just shows you the route in the map as you know it from Google Maps.

For a REAL navigation software you need real mapping data and not just tile graphics. And I think you need a more reliable GPS receiver. The one in the Pre (Or it least in MY Pre) is pretty bad.

So Minimap will never be a real navigation software. So if that's what you expect then stop dreaming or start writing your own navigation software.
    This app is impressive. Nice job! I appreciate the real-time speed display, because the speedometer in one of my cars is way off and I needed to figure out how much. Unfortunately, I can't fix it without partially rebuilding my transmission. I know it's dependent on the GPS accuracy, but it is closer than trying to pace with my wife over the phone!
    Have been using Minimap for the past couple of days, and really impressed with it, so would like to voice my appreciation for the effort that has gone into this.

There are OSM Apps for downloading tiles in bulk - see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMtiledownloader

There are peirodic delays built-in to prevent users hogging OSM server bandwidth.

I have one feature request: the ability to log GPX tracks, that can be uploaded to OSM.
    Although this idea would officially be in "homebrew only" territory, what about running a tile server on the Pre itself? Using a tool like the tile downloader that wonka68 links to, one could provide data sets for whatever area you're in (say, pre-load the maps for a state or country, the same way "traditional" GPS navigation units do).

I would suspect the Pre would be capable of running a simplified/optimized server in the background without too much drain and additional overhead, but I haven't tinkered with running Apache or a Python server on the Pre yet, so I'm simply speculating. Since it would only require pointing the requests to the local server, Minimap itself doesn't have to change the codebase. Even if the Pre is underpowered, it would be a worthwhile side-project to look into for future hardware, methinks.

I snagged the Minimap code off the SVN to take a peek around, if you'd like some help with the project, I'd love to do what I can, even if I am a bit of a fish out of water regarding webOS itself at the moment (I'm used to working with C on embedded systems so far as GPS is concerned).

And above all, this is pure speculation, I'm not exactly familiar with OpenLayer (just know what it is/does), so I've got no clue if this is even a viable suggestion.

Last, but certainly not least, a huge thank you is deserved! I will abstain from placing "THANK YOU" in 72 point type, however!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonka68 View Post
    I have one feature request: the ability to log GPX tracks, that can be uploaded to OSM.
    Here's another vote for the ability to create, display GPS tracks.
    I don't really care whether it can save/load whatever, but would love
    to be able to simply turn on a trail of breadcrumbs so I can backtrack
    when needed. I used to do that with my Garmin GPS III+ even if I had
    no roads loaded.

ian
    Really nice app. I like to see OSM on my Pre
    this one is great!!!
    can't wait for turn-by-turn and seaching capabilities.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast