Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have submitted a final version to the app catalog. The version up on this site has been changed to a Lite version.

***To all of you that gave me feedback and help in this thread, send me a PM of your email address and I will send you the IPK that I submitted to the app catalog for your help or ipk for the final AS version that I had working. Just let me know which one you want. Thanks again for the help.***

Worked on making it pretty. Let me know what y'all think.

NOW WITH GPS AND ACEELEROMETER! I added a new version that uses the AccelService Patch for faster polling. Please let me know if there is a big difference between the two versions.

Right now it is just a basic app testing the concept that I will use (if it works well enough) to build a larger more complex app containing other features. Please try it out and let me know how it works (how accurate it is) or anything that needs tweaking. See the description below and thank you in advance for any assistance.

standard version
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/drag-stats

accelservice version
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/drag-stats-0

If you are feeling generous..

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...on_id=10302754

Descripton:
    NOW USING GPS AND ACCELEROMETER!! Also added 1 mile timer.

Basic 0-60mph timer, 1/8th 1/4th and 1 mile distance timers, speed, average speed and g-force meter.

0.11.0: Added Start countdown and made it look better. Seems to be more reliable than waiting for initial acceleration. Also, gives the opportunity to include the driver's reaction time.

Once you start the app you need to keep it still in the same position in your vehicle for the 0-60 time and g-force meter to stay calibrated. There is a small nmber in the upper left corner that shows dynamic accelerometer polling times. I haven't tested this version fully yet but everything seems to be in working order. Plan on adding other features and really cleaning it up if this very basic one works well for most people. Simply press the button and once you start to speed up it will start timing and tell you how long it takes you to get to 60mph. I will fix that in the near future. I just wanted to get this version out before working on a fix.

I have tried parts of this out on my own and it seems to be pretty accurate but I only have my speedometer to compare it to. If anyone has something to compare it to please let me know how well it compares.

To Do:

1/8 mile times (in this version and hopefully works)

1/4 mile times (in this version and hopefully works)

recording of best times

Not sure I can get 0-60 times to be any better until Palm lets us increase accelerometer polling.
    Last edited by Beherrschen; 12/13/2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Updated the app.
    Killer App, I was thinking about doing one exactly like it just this week. Can't wait to try it.
    I would assume that this has to be started when your car is not moving in order to receive a current speed.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    I would assume that this has to be started when your car is not moving in order to receive a current speed.
    Yes. At the moment it only takes the magnitude of your acceleration and doesn't pay attention to turning or slowing down (it all is read the same). I have some ideas to fix that but I want to see if the fundamentals of the program are good enough to really expand on.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post
    Killer App, I was thinking about doing one exactly like it just this week. Can't wait to try it.
    Thanks for the enthuisiam... But this is REALLY basic for now just to see if the concept works before I really turn it into something worth while.
    Thank you so much for pioneering this for the pre....when the app receives further development you can look forward to getting a donation from me!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Just installed the program on my Pre to try out later today. If I leave the Pre sitting on my desk and set what I assume to be accuracy to greater than the "10th dec" default, the program thinks the Pre is moving and it slowly makes it up to 60 MPH even though it never moved. Must be too sensitive at the higher settings?
    Very cool!

/Kevin
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz1999 View Post
    Just installed the program on my Pre to try out later today. If I leave the Pre sitting on my desk and set what I assume to be accuracy to greater than the "10th dec" default, the program thinks the Pre is moving and it slowly makes it up to 60 MPH even though it never moved. Must be too sensitive at the higher settings?
    that is exactly the problem and the reason I added the adjustable setting. I may or may not leave it in final version... If it turns out one sensitivity works the best then I will just set it to that one and leave it. Please let me know what how it works for you.
    I'll have to try this out in my SVT Cobra on my way home from work! lol
    i have tried it and love the concept. my speed is not even close to accurate but the actual time to 60 mph is pretty close for being so basic. I would love to see the gps implemented in this to get a very accurate reading and also an 1/8 of a mile and also a 1/4 mile run. I think with the right development this can be as good as a gforce unit if not better. Maybe even a g- force meter as well?
    either way i think you should continue further on this app and i will be more than happy to donate as well as purchase it if it ever makes it that far. Let me know if there is anything i can do to help with the development of this app.
  12.    #12  
    [;2032126]i have tried it and love the concept. my speed is not even close to accurate but the actual time to 60 mph is pretty close for being so basic. I would love to see the gps implemented in this to get a very accurate reading and also an 1/8 of a mile and also a 1/4 mile run. I think with the right development this can be as good as a gforce unit if not better. Maybe even a g- force meter as well?
    either way i think you should continue further on this app and i will be more than happy to donate as well as purchase it if it ever makes it that far. Let me know if there is anything i can do to help with the development of this app.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the feedback... I am glad to hear the 0-60 time is pretty good but unsure why the mph would be off... The mph is used to stop the timing. Was it off while you were on your way to 60 or while you were just kinda riding around? I only ask because as I have it currently set up it should only work while you are speeding up faily consistently all the way to 60. I have plans to add g-force (it is on there already but in mph/s instead of m/s/s), 1/8, and 1/4 miles times as well as recording of best times etc. Thank you for the feedback and offers of help.
    Last edited by Beherrschen; 11/14/2009 at 06:47 AM.
    Everytime I use it the calculation stops at 60 mph while i have barely gotten to around 40 mph (between 38-43mph) I did notice that the MPH increases at a steady rate no matter what the mph/s is reading. Also with my phone at rest opening up the app initially it always says 22mph/s. I have no clue as to if the 0-60 time is correct but may do some testing to check it.

I would not rely on a steady rate because enough soem of the cars with the fastest 0-60 times dont increase speed at a steady rate especially if there is a gear change in that 0-60 speed difference. For every gear change there will be a moment of lag or deceleration however brief that moment may be it will be there. I am not sure if the phone has the capabilities but you might want to measure the accelerometor change or force along with GPS location in constant time for this app since most of the time this app wont be in use for more than 30 seconds at a time during use if that.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cknudstrup View Post
    Everytime I use it the calculation stops at 60 mph while i have barely gotten to around 40 mph (between 38-43mph) I did notice that the MPH increases at a steady rate no matter what the mph/s is reading. Also with my phone at rest opening up the app initially it always says 22mph/s. I have no clue as to if the 0-60 time is correct but may do some testing to check it.

I would not rely on a steady rate because enough soem of the cars with the fastest 0-60 times dont increase speed at a steady rate especially if there is a gear change in that 0-60 speed difference. For every gear change there will be a moment of lag or deceleration however brief that moment may be it will be there. I am not sure if the phone has the capabilities but you might want to measure the accelerometor change or force along with GPS location in constant time for this app since most of the time this app wont be in use for more than 30 seconds at a time during use if that.
    Thanks for the reply. Those are all problems I was having with it because the accelerometer just only takes a reading every quarter of a second. So any changes in between get lost and it quickly loses track of things the longer the app was on. Since I couldn't get it to work I have now updated it to work with GPS instead. I am not even sure the accelerometer version was accurate enough to use along with GPS. I will add accelerometer data to the GPS version shortly to give g-force readings.

Also, it always reads 22 mph/s before calibrating because I was taking the magnitude of of all the acceleration axis and the acceleration due to gravity here on the surface of Earth is 22 mph/s. So without calibration it would always read 22 mph/s no matter how you turned it (well once you stopped turning it that is).

Anyway, give the new version a try and let me know how it works. Thanks again for the feedback.
    Awesome work ! keep it up
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by boyo3221 View Post
    Awesome work ! keep it up
    testing 1/4 mile time on my way to work this morning.
    can't wait to test the GPS version!!!
    this is brilliant - thanks!
    slight problem with updating - I already have drag stats installed and it's not showing as an updated package under preware. If I find drag stats through preware's package list, it says "install" and not "update" - so I'm removing it first before installing.
    I also have a scanmaster that I believe will do 0-60 recorded straight off the vss. Would give me a reason to get back down there and hook it up. Or find a solution to keep it from messing up my logs. Grrrr
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beherrschen View Post
    Those are all problems I was having with it because the accelerometer just only takes a reading every quarter of a second.
    Although I don't believe it would be able to let you into the real app catalog with the service at this point, if you were unaware there is a homebrew accelerometer service that lets you adjust the polling time of the accelerometer on a per-app basis that you could easily include with your code. The example application that comes with it is really something, showing the difference of on the fly adjustment so you can try to incorporate code from that if it would make the app better.

Also, haven't given this a shot yet but plan to soon, sounds like a great idea.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast