Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Does the downloadable version right now have the GPS feature?

Im a little confused by the wording in the first post, sorry.

More importantly, now that GPS has or will be added, will you be considering adding a lap timing/plotting feature?

Im sure a lot of ppl racing would love that, I know I would and would be happy to donate if it's an added feature.

Someone already made one for the android platform that ppl seem to love so I'd love to see one for the Pre too.
    Last edited by xfbo; 11/21/2009 at 11:03 AM.
    I've been testing it today around town (to check how the speed compares, acceleration lag etc) and also on a few dual carriageways. The speed seems very accurate, perhaps +/- 3 mph out at 40, but that's probably my speedo. So overall, the most important part is sorted.

However, I haven't been able to get a 0-60 run done. After pressing start, waiting a few secs and moving off, there seems to be a huge amount of delay, and the app only begins counting once I've began decelerating from 60. But I didn't have this problem when driving around town quite slowly. I don't know if this is a prob with the GPS not locking onto satellites quickly enough or reporting inaccurate figures to the app.

On a long stretch of dual carriageway, I got the app to show I was doing in excess of 60 and it stopped counting - however, the 0-60 time disappeared and reset to 0. I've also noticed occasionally when the time is on 0, it quickly flashes 0.00 every few secs.

A small cosmetic prob, but the speed and "Speed:" text is overlapping - please see this screen capture that I took. Coincidentally, it said 24.6 mph, even though I wasn't moving!

Finally, a suggestion would be to have the option of using mph to km/h - so the app would measure 0-62mph or 0-100km/h, depending on what the user wants! I'd also like to see the ability to change values, such as 0-100mph, 30-70mph, 50-70mph and so on. That would be wicked!

But I'm very excited about this app and I think it would be one that I'd use a lot. I'm willing to lend a hand too, I'd love to help develop this as I was considering it myself. I won't lie, I don't have any experience with programming for WebOS, but I'm a quick learner and have other programming experience.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    None of the iPhone auto performance apps use GPS for acceleration, as it lags too much. You'd be seeing artificially high 0-60 times. You really need to use the accelerometer (with a higher rate) for that.

On the other hand, GPS is fine for smoothed/averaged speed if you filter the data properly and don't mind the slight lag.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Beherrschen, I would like to put up a bounty for feature request (between 50 and $100 depending on the features you incorporate to perform similar functionality to the iphone green meter app).

I am also in contact with a gentleman from Kiwi, which manufactures a WiFi enabled ODBII reader. I have contacted him to seek if he allows FOSS to interact with his SDK and if so, would like to know if you'd like to help.
    Thank you

rkguy - send me a PM if you'd rather not discuss this on the boards, I have no preference
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    You're the Man! Especially since I was just asking for this 2 days ago

forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2052473&posted=1

To say thanks I offer you a ride in your choice of any of the performance cars I have.

I have a gtech I could compare it to when I get a chance.

Could you use the accelerometer patch, thats out, that speeds up the polling and also have the GPS too and maybe have it show both for now and we can test to see what is the closest.

webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:AccelService
    I thought about that but was really trying to make it app catalog submitable. Thanks for the feedback. I am working away on an updated version... It just isn't behaving atm.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
    slight problem with updating - I already have drag stats installed and it's not showing as an updated package under preware. If I find drag stats through preware's package list, it says "install" and not "update" - so I'm removing it first before installing.
    Sorry about that. I was trying to keep a GPS version separate from the accelerometer version and didn't think about that changing the ID when I changed the name on the GPS version.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Although I don't believe it would be able to let you into the real app catalog with the service at this point, if you were unaware there is a homebrew accelerometer service that lets you adjust the polling time of the accelerometer on a per-app basis that you could easily include with your code. The example application that comes with it is really something, showing the difference of on the fly adjustment so you can try to incorporate code from that if it would make the app better.

Also, haven't given this a shot yet but plan to soon, sounds like a great idea.
    I have tried a pure accelerometer version and a full GPS version... neither was that great. GPS lags too much. Accelerometer doesn't poll fast enough and misses anything but the biggest changes. I am currently trying to do a version that uses the strengths of each and ignores the weaknesses... not going so well. I really wanted something I could submit to the app catalog but I am getting to the point where I don't think it can be done well. I may just try it with the patch method to make the accelerometer better and then just hope that Palm gives better access to the accelerometer in the future so that I can get it in the catalog...
  8.    #28  
    I've been testing it today around town (to check how the speed compares, acceleration lag etc) and also on a few dual carriageways. The speed seems very accurate, perhaps +/- 3 mph out at 40, but that's probably my speedo. So overall, the most important part is sorted.

However, I haven't been able to get a 0-60 run done. After pressing start, waiting a few secs and moving off, there seems to be a huge amount of delay, and the app only begins counting once I've began decelerating from 60. But I didn't have this problem when driving around town quite slowly. I don't know if this is a prob with the GPS not locking onto satellites quickly enough or reporting inaccurate figures to the app.

On a long stretch of dual carriageway, I got the app to show I was doing in excess of 60 and it stopped counting - however, the 0-60 time disappeared and reset to 0. I've also noticed occasionally when the time is on 0, it quickly flashes 0.00 every few secs.

A small cosmetic prob, but the speed and "Speed:" text is overlapping - please see this screen capture that I took. Coincidentally, it said 24.6 mph, even though I wasn't moving!

Finally, a suggestion would be to have the option of using mph to km/h - so the app would measure 0-62mph or 0-100km/h, depending on what the user wants! I'd also like to see the ability to change values, such as 0-100mph, 30-70mph, 50-70mph and so on. That would be wicked!

But I'm very excited about this app and I think it would be one that I'd use a lot. I'm willing to lend a hand too, I'd love to help develop this as I was considering it myself. I won't lie, I don't have any experience with programming for WebOS, but I'm a quick learner and have other programming experience.
    Thanks for the feedback. This is totally a test version. I am just trying different methods to see if one will work well. If I can get a solid method for tracking speeds and acceleration (seeming more and more like a big IF...) then I will clean it up and make it a lot more reliable.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    None of the iPhone auto performance apps use GPS for acceleration, as it lags too much. You'd be seeing artificially high 0-60 times. You really need to use the accelerometer (with a higher rate) for that.

On the other hand, GPS is fine for smoothed/averaged speed if you filter the data properly and don't mind the slight lag.
    Unfortunately, that is what I am finding out. I am just about to give up use of GPS for anything more than possibly distance measurements... Thanks for the feedback.
  10. HRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Beherrschen View Post
    I really wanted something I could submit to the app catalog but I am getting to the point where I don't think it can be done well. I may just try it with the patch method to make the accelerometer better and then just hope that Palm gives better access to the accelerometer in the future so that I can get it in the catalog...
    I think that's a smart move -- there is plenty of other stuff to learn/refine/perfect in the meantime. I developed several automotive apps on the iPhone, and they are quite complex when all is said and done. Take your time and build it up bit by bit.

Palm really needs to get the accelerometer cranked up. For the life of me, I don't know why they limited it to 4Hz. In reality, that is only enough fidelity to detect steady state portrait/landscape device orientation. It's not really enough for games, much less integrating the equations of motion.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by xfbo View Post
    Does the downloadable version right now have the GPS feature?

Im a little confused by the wording in the first post, sorry.

More importantly, now that GPS has or will be added, will you be considering adding a lap timing/plotting feature?

Im sure a lot of ppl racing would love that, I know I would and would be happy to donate if it's an added feature.

Someone already made one for the android platform that ppl seem to love so I'd love to see one for the Pre too.
    Yes the current version uses GPS... and it sucks. I will most likely go back to accelerometer for 0-60 times and try to use GPS for 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs.

I didn't think about adding a lap timer... not sure how I could get it to auto count without you going back to your exact start position at the end of each lap... That would be difficult to do. I could make it count a lap within a certain distance of the start position... Am I understanding what you meant by lap times?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by HRT View Post
    I think that's a smart move -- there is plenty of other stuff to learn/refine/perfect in the meantime. I developed several automotive apps on the iPhone, and they are quite complex when all is said and done. Take your time and build it up bit by bit.

Palm really needs to get the accelerometer cranked up. For the life of me, I don't know why they limited it to 4Hz. In reality, that is only enough fidelity to detect steady state portrait/landscape device orientation. It's not really enough for games, much less integrating the equations of motion.
    Oooo... If you ever want to PM me with some advice I would more than welcome it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beherrschen View Post
    I didn't think about adding a lap timer... not sure how I could get it to auto count without you going back to your exact start position at the end of each lap... That would be difficult to do. I could make it count a lap within a certain distance of the start position... Am I understanding what you meant by lap times?
    I'm not a 100% positive on all the features since I've never had the pleasure of trying one yet but what I can tell you is GPS lap timing is beginning to explode on the trackday/racing scene.

To answer your question regarding stop/finish line, the user picks a spot on the track where they want it, once the learn mode is complete. Other features I know racers would want to have would include the ability to add several other 'legs/sections' within the track so they could divvy the track up into 3-4 legs/sections and see what kind of times and speeds they're pulling in each of these individual sections, if you look at the site below you'll see that the track outline shows up in green (on the gas) and red (brakes) to help the user know what/where he's doing it on the course.

Below is a link to a functional GPS lap timer app for the Android platform, I figured if they could make one for that o/s why not this one?

Trackaroo - Welcome

Dont hesitate to PM if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by xfbo; 11/23/2009 at 07:55 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    two questions.
    How do we calibrate so it zero's out the g force and doesn't pick up the earths 1g?

Also is there any benefit to adding the accelerometer service patch at this point?
    Does it take advantage of it?
    I can't remember if I have it in the currently posted version or not but it should (if it's in the code) calibrate it according to however the phone is positoned when you start the app. At the very least it recalibrates each time you press the start button to zero out according to how you have the phone positioned.

No benifit to adding the service patch right now. I haven't included it...yet. I may include it if I get fed up enough with trying to get the slow polling time from Palm to give decent returns. But for now I am trying to keep it something that could go to the official catalog... though higher polling frequencies is rather tempting.

Oh and I will be puting a new version out soon. Just drove and tested and realized I left something out of an equation that made the final 1/8 and 1/4 mile times explode... still can't get the button to work at stopping the run... may just end up adding another button to do it.
    This is great, I can't wait to test it again.
    But please, please, please use the Accelservice to increase polling - it works well and accuracy is what makes these apps. I could time 0-60 on my timer if I didn't mind slight inaccuracy. I'm sure Palm will open up the accelerometer in the future.
  16.    #36  
    When I get the little kinks out I am pretty sure that I will do a version using it for the people on this site. Besides the version I have out now uses some fancy math to fix some of the inaccuracies.

This is great, I can't wait to test it again.
    But please, please, please use the Accelservice to increase polling - it works well and accuracy is what makes these apps. I could time 0-60 on my timer if I didn't mind slight inaccuracy. I'm sure Palm will open up the accelerometer in the future.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Reaction time would be awesome as well as a tree that you could run in standard or pro so you could practice reaction times....great work btw.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by joey316g View Post
    Reaction time would be awesome as well as a tree that you could run in standard or pro so you could practice reaction times....great work btw.
    hmmm... That is a good idea... Of course the slow reaction time of the pre would make that option suck right now but if/when the accelerometer polling gets increased...
    Beherrschen, i sent you a PM with some HP and ET calculation formula's i tracked down and tested, i was initially working on a very similar app but abandoned it due to the lack of sensitivity in the accelerometer (in stock form), figured it might help
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dawm View Post
    Beherrschen, i sent you a PM with some HP and ET calculation formula's i tracked down and tested, i was initially working on a very similar app but abandoned it due to the lack of sensitivity in the accelerometer (in stock form), figured it might help
    cool, thanks. I will check it out.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast