Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    MojoTracker

Release: 0.1.27 - 9-Nov-2009

MojoTracker is an application that acquires GPS track points from the Palm Pre built-in GPS. The track points are stored internally in a SQLite database table.

Later, you can download the SQLite database over the USB connection. You'll most likely want to convert this data into a suitable format, and there are plenty of utilities around that can help with this, e.g. DB elephant SQLite converter.

I developed this App primarily to assist with my contributions to OpenStreetMap, which is a non-commercial mapping project.

At the time of writing, this App is pretty crude and basic, but has been tested a few times and does the job. Tracks are logged every second.

I'm also developing a Java utility that will convert the data from SQLite format into GPX, which is ideal for OpenStreetMap. Please email me for a copy of this.
    Last edited by wonka68; 11/09/2009 at 02:39 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to get a homebrew app published?
  3.    #3  
    C'mon, what the heck's going on here????

I submitted this for publishing 4 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting.

It'll take less than 10 minutes to test this App, so why so long?

I think I've been patient so far....
    Hi

although I'm not a moderator but a developer I could see that your application is in draft mode. You should set it to "Needs moderator review". Then it will be reviewed and published. My application took about 2 days to be available here.

Kind regards,
    Christof
    Just as an FYI, there's a developer named MojoApps that makes apps that are named Mojo(whatever). MojoShopper is about to hit the app catalog.

Not saying you have to change your name or anything, but for your sake, it might help avoid confusion.

/Kevin
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Just as an FYI, there's a developer named MojoApps...
    Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

The Pre SDK is called Mojo, so I guess there may be one or two other Apps coming out that may cause confusion also....

I don't intend making a living out of Pre homebrew apps, so I think MojoApps is pretty safe.

But if do release anything else, I'll be sure to avoid that name
    Your app is out now. I tried testing, but cannot find any SQLite database table to be transferred.
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4711 View Post
    Your app is out now. I tried testing, but cannot find any SQLite database table to be transferred.
    Edit: Never mind, clearly I am nowhere near awake yet.

/Kevin
    Hi all,
    i wrote a little python script to convert the data stored in the SQlite DB into GPX format.

BTW, the data is located here:
    Code:
    Direct access:
    /media/internal/.app-storage/file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.osm.mojotracker_0
    USB access:
    .app-storage/file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.osm.mojotracker_0
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10.    #10  
    OK, one or two people have now downloaded this App, and asked for some assistance.

To find the SQLite database that gets produced by MojoTracker, connect your PC to the PalmPre with the USB cable. The database file should be available in a folder such as:
    \.app-storage\file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.osm.mojotracker_0 or similar.

The file will be called: "000000000000000d.db" or something similar.

To find out how to convert to the OSM GPX format, see this post.

Hope that helps.

Ian
    For the Mac users out there, I've created a simple Automator app to do the conversion. (Based on Muhgatus's python script above. Ok, it's really just a wrapper around it.)

Just drag and drop your .db file onto the app, and it'll create a file named 'Track.gpx' on your desktop, with all the tracks in the db in it.

If you have more than one track, you'll need to open the file in your favorite text editor and separate them out. Each will full XML unit, including header...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  12.    #12  
    If anybody wants to contribute to MojoTracker, it is now open source. The source can be accessed at:
    mojotracker - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Newest svn revision implements direct export to gpx file. You can try latest snaphost from Downloads - mojotracker - Project Hosting on Google Code .

This contains some bugs, so be tolerant.
    njoy
  14.    #14  
    Have just installed v0.1.28.

When I try direct export to GPX in "Saved Tracks", I get error "ca.canucksoftware.filemgr" is not running.

Do I need to install other Apps before MojoTracker?
  15.    #15  
    I've just answered my own question. I installed the homebrew app "filemgr" using WebOS Quick install, and now I can convert the MojoTracker tracks into GPX format inside the application. These are stored in the root folder of the USB drive.

Thanks to Karry.
  16.    #16  
    I gave 0.1.28 a test yesterday, a few observations:
    i) The compass is a great new feature, but it seems to get confused when travelling east - it points west.
    ii) Saving tracks direct to GPX. It does this correctly, but breaks the file into 50KB chunks. Is this a limitation of "filemgr" service?

But still worth pointing out that I managed to map parts of a town last night using the latest incarnation of this App :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonka68 View Post
    i) The compass is a great new feature, but it seems to get confused when travelling east - it points west.
    I found this bug yesterday too. Fix is commited already.

Quote Originally Posted by wonka68 View Post
    ii) Saving tracks direct to GPX. It does this correctly, but breaks the file into 50KB chunks. Is this a limitation of "filemgr" service?
    Yes, FileMgr can't write larger file than about 50kB, if app can call writing with offset, FileMgr fails... FileMgr in version 0.5.1 is heavy under development, I hope that this bug will be fixed in next release...

Quote Originally Posted by wonka68
    When I try direct export to GPX in "Saved Tracks", I get error "ca.canucksoftware.filemgr" is not running.
    I don't know how to set ipk package dependency...

I upload next app 0.1.28 snaphot, some bugs was fixed. Testers are welcome.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Hello, I was just testing your app out and love how light weight it is. However, I would like the option to let the user select the log intervals. As of right now, it seems to log every second and that may be a bit too frequent. Thanks for the work!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    Hello, I was just testing your app out and love how light weight it is. However, I would like the option to let the user select the log intervals. As of right now, it seems to log every second and that may be a bit too frequent. Thanks for the work!
    Yes, I must admit, this is something I thought I could have done with on the odd occasion, so I shall add it to the wish list.

The interval is actually determined by the Pre's GPS location service, but it shouldn't be too onerous to introduce a custom interval.
    Hmm, what is wrong? I send notice about new version to Precentral team one week ago (http://www.precentral.net/contact) and I doesn't get any reply... Have you any experience about updating apps in Precentral catague?

EDIT: Ok, I get developer access a few minutes ago. New version of MojoTracker is waiting for review now! Stay tuned
    Last edited by karry; 05/05/2010 at 04:48 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast