Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 300
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is a major update of the Palm Reader app, so I created a new thread.

    Here is the change log:

    • Longer files are now split up into manageable chunks. This allows for considerably faster formatting and better overall performance while reading.
    • Apostrophe characters in title names now allowed.
    • Chapter-navigation from table of contents pages is, with most books, implemented.
    • Selecting a book in the library now defaults to loading book; tap-hold-release brings up the additional menu.
    • Overlarge images are scaled to fit the screen, when possible.
    • Some bugs with positioning across orientation changes and font size changes have been fixed.
    • Support for Mobipocket (PRC), ePub, Microsoft Reader (LIT) and PalmDoc (pdb) files has been added. Be sure to read the help section about multi-function support!
    • Major interface changes for usability.
    • Version number reduced to 0.2 based on a rumor that Palm requires less than 1.0 for the beta app catalog.
    tdkeaveny likes this.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    • Support for Mobipocket (PRC), ePub, Microsoft Reader (LIT) and PalmDoc (pdb) files has been added. Be sure to read the help section about multi-function support!
    I love you.
  3. #3  
    I don't have any epub or palm doc books handy, but I've already tested this new version with several .prc and .lit ebooks, including one or two HUGE books, and they all seen to work great. I even tested it with a .mobi (different mobipocket extension) by simply renaming the file to a .prc before I copied it to my Pre, and it also worked flawlessly.

    It's also worth pointing out that unlike the early versions, this new Palm Reader is NOT cripple-ware. It's full featured and completely free until it hits the app catalog.
  4. #4  
    Wow. This is is a significiant update, even ignoring the new format support. The interface is much slicker. Full screen mode is nicer - I see you got rid of the grey area at the bottom. I like the % read display.

    Thank you for trusting your beta testers enough to remove the restrictions on number of books loaded. This makes it easier to test, and you've already more than earned my purchase when you hit the app catalog.

    I think there may be a bug in the bookmark manager. The app seems to hang if I try to delete a bookmark.

    Tried loading the large html file I had trouble with earlier, loaded with no problem. A similarly sized pdb file generated from a plain text file using Palm's old DropBook converter opened fine as well.

    All in all, you've made HUGE progress.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I don't have any epub or palm doc books handy, but I've already tested this new version with several .prc and .lit ebooks, including one or two HUGE books, and they all seen to work great. I even tested it with a .mobi (different mobipocket extension) by simply renaming the file to a .prc before I copied it to my Pre, and it also worked flawlessly.
    Dang it! I forgot to search for .mobi files! Next update...

    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I think there may be a bug in the bookmark manager. The app seems to hang if I try to delete a bookmark.
    So it does! Next update. Pretty soon, probably.
  6. #6  
    Where can I get ebooks that work with this program? I have used eReader for three years and their files do not work. Or, even better, how do I convert eReader books to an appropriate format?

    THANKS!
  7. #7  
    Hello,
    I have the German Palm Pre WebOS 1.1.3 and the only file i can load is an txt file. Everything else i try to load (mobi, lit, ebup and pdb) stuck at loading. I close app after 30 Minute, because it is still loading the file. My file is about 200kb.

    Can it be that is only working with a newer WebOS version?

    Next thing when i load an text file with some german charakters (,, and ) it show strange signs or sometimes nothing (skipp the letter).

    --
    With nice greetings, Anke
  8. #8  
    same to me,german os.all books stuck on loading.
    greets
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Occupied View Post
    Where can I get ebooks that work with this program? I have used eReader for three years and their files do not work. Or, even better, how do I convert eReader books to an appropriate format?

    THANKS!
    Hi,
    1. to manage and convert between every format you can use the mulit platform and opensource programm Calibre.
    2. To Get eBooks you have to buy them at online stores or you use licens free Books from txtr.com or gutenberg.org
  10. #10  
    Were your eReader books copy protected? The DRM scheme isn't public, so I assume Vance6842 won't be able to support opening protected books.

    Tons of free books at Project Gutenberg (typically older stuff, everything off-copyright or never copyrighted).

    Free recent science fiction from Baen Books. Baen has found that offering free e-texts actually seems to boost sales of dead tree editions. I certainly support them by buying hard copies of books by authors I try and find that I like.

    There's a lot of open-format etexts out there, scattered around the web. Google is your friend. And over time, publishers will have to either abandon DRM or at least go to open DRM protocols so independent developers can support them. The music industry is already going that way, and book publishers will inevitably need to follow.
  11. #11  
    No, my books are all licens free (gutenberg & co) no DRM protection...
    when i convert to pdb i can open it with preader, but its not the program i want to use forever, because i miss the auto-scrolling
  12. #12  
    iSilo support? My understanding is it is similar to the Doc To Go format.
    I converted a lot of things to iSilo and just cannot find a way to convert them back..
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

    Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

    Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweety81 View Post
    Hello,
    I have the German Palm Pre WebOS 1.1.3 and the only file i can load is an txt file. Everything else i try to load (mobi, lit, ebup and pdb) stuck at loading. I close app after 30 Minute, because it is still loading the file. My file is about 200kb.

    Can it be that is only working with a newer WebOS version?

    Next thing when i load an text file with some german charakters (,, and ) it show strange signs or sometimes nothing (skipp the letter).
    Correct, European phones are stuck on WebOS 1.13, and you need WebOS 1.2 or later. That should be rectified when 1.3 comes out in a few weeks. Sorry about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Occupied View Post
    Where can I get ebooks that work with this program? I have used eReader for three years and their files do not work. Or, even better, how do I convert eReader books to an appropriate format?

    THANKS!
    What is happening when you try to load? Can you send me a copy of that book? It should be supported, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    iSilo support? My understanding is it is similar to the Doc To Go format.
    I converted a lot of things to iSilo and just cannot find a way to convert them back..
    I really tried for you But I cannot find any way to convert them either... I'll keep trying.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweety81 View Post
    No, my books are all licens free (gutenberg & co) no DRM protection...
    when i convert to pdb i can open it with preader, but its not the program i want to use forever, because i miss the auto-scrolling
    Not sure what the problem is, but if from Gutenberg, try just downloading the HTML or plain text versions.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Not sure what the problem is, but if from Gutenberg, try just downloading the HTML or plain text versions.
    As I said above, multi-format support requires WebOS 1.2 or higher, and European phones are stuck with 1.13 for now. You are correct in that the HTML versions should still work.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Occupied View Post
    Where can I get ebooks that work with this program? I have used eReader for three years and their files do not work. Or, even better, how do I convert eReader books to an appropriate format?

    THANKS!
    If you purchased your books in this format you may be able to download them again in another format at no charge from the original vendor.

    If your eReader pdb's (the old peanut reader format, I'm guessing) are not encumbered with DRM protection, you can convert them with Calibre - you can even convert them to palmdoc pdbs.

    As for ebook sources, if you know anything about usenet, newsreaders, and usenet binary file downloading, you can find tons of material. Google up usenet and go from there.
  17.    #17  
    eReader PDB (without DRM) should be supported. Let me know if you find one that is not.

    I've just released a minor bug fix update to deal with a few of the issues you fine beta testers have already uncovered
  18. rsperko's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #18  
    I am getting a wget 404 when trying to install it via preware. I am able to install other apps.

    I will try again later.

    -Rick
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

    visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
  19. #19  
    Thanks for trying with the iSilo format.

    I am trying to load a book that I am unsure what format it is. It is just sitting here loading..loading... Maybe it needs to time out after awhile and report that the book won't work etc.. Kind of feels like it is stuck in a loop.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

    Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

    Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  20. rsperko's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #20  
    It installs now. Thanks. Looking forward to checking this out.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

    visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions