Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    First off...Thank you soooo much for this! It rocks! I've finally been able to put my MobiReader to sleep on my Pre.. because I can finally use the WHOLE screen for reading.

That said...there are a couple things I've noticed. Not ALL html, lit, and prc books will load. I know it says several minutes...but that simply doesn't happen. I have 1000s of de-drm'd ebooks that all work when I convert to PRC and read on my MobiReader. Just doesn't happen here.
    Now, ALL of the text files DO load....however....I've noticed that sometimes, when I open the text file after awhile....the formatting gets all goofy. Already when I load a text file...the Title of the file is messed up (but I don't really care) but the body of the text is fine.
    After awhile, though, the text starts having issues and all the punctuation gets changed to characters like this... <p... or other weird ones...so I have to remove and reload...which is fine if you read one book at a time.
    I, however, switch off between anywhere from 15-20 books at a time....of course not every day...but that's how many I usually read as I don't watch t.v. so it's like a read an "episode" from each book...
    I know...I'm weird.
    Also....there is no Search function for the Library part of the program. When you load books, you have to scroll to find them...and since each title takes up about a 1/4 inch of screen space...if you decide to actually upload a library's worth of books....you're doing a lot of scrolling. Perhaps the final version can have a search function...or just a title search where they show up when you start typing the title name? It's already like that when you search for a title to upload...so it shouldn't be too hard to do that for the library.
    Also...now that I've touched on that...is there a way that one can access the Search for a New Ebook button instead of having to scroll all the way down each and every time?? I'd like to load a bunch of books...not just a few...but it's a pain to have to scroll down all the time because I accidentally open up other titles while I'm scrolling.
    Also...the bookmark isn't very accurate. For some reason, the bookmark will NOT take me back to where I activated it.... I'm always taken to the beginning of the File.. However...when I just close the App...about 50% of the time, I'll end up back where I left off....so that's ok. 50% is better than the other way where I spend so much time trying to find where I left off...

Other than that, this has been a God-send! Thanks....I'll be sure to purchase the final version that's on the App Catalog.

Just to list possible changes/additions:

1) Search Function for Library is needed (same as the one used for searching titles to upload) or have it as function of Main Menu?
    2) Perhaps make a function in Main Menu to Search for New Title to Upload? It's a pain to have to scroll to the bottom each and every time you want to upload a book...
    3) If scrolling for the title is the only way...perhaps letting us format the size of the Library spaces?? Maybe just have one line for each title....but not 1/4 in size?? Just a suggestion... I'm very stoked with the app as is. I can always make do.
    4) Figure out why not all types of ebooks are loadable...only Text format is 100% loadable at this time... I'm about at 50% for every other type...except HTML...which is around 75%
    5) See if there's a way to make the bookmark a bit more accurate so I don't have to keep looking. Already, I ended up in the wrong place so many times that I ruined one book by reading an important part WAAAY before I was even at that section. Nobody wants to know whodunit before they even start the book...ya know??

I hope this doesn't sound like complaining. I was so happy to see this update...but if possible, please, please fix those couple things....but, if not, it's STILL a pretty damn good app as is...
    I just noticed reading an old post that this is NOT the final version....so I'm sure you already have these issues being worked on, correct?
    I'll send an email with a couple of the books I have issues with...and my suggestions...which are NOT absolutely necessary...but would make life easier for a lazy ******* like me! Heh heh...Thanks, Vance!

Good luck and thanks again!!

Couch
    Last edited by couch1970; 11/20/2009 at 03:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller View Post
    I really like this app. Almost all of my ebooks are in pdf format, so I can't put to much use yet. Hopefully they will add pdf as a supported format soon! Awesome work so far!
    You know...I used to have this EXACT same problem.... But, I was always using MobiPocket to convert my PDFs into PRC....to be read with the Mobi Reader on my Palm Treo,etc..
    Well...the other month, I decided to download the Mobi Publisher program that's free on Mobipocket.com - eBooks and ebook reader for your PC, PDA and Smartphone: Palm, Windows mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, or PocketPC. and I downloaded whichever one had the most bells and whistles...the "expert" edition or something to that effect..

Well...guess what I noticed when I used it to convert my next PDF...or DOC...whatever... The MobiPocket Publisher actually converts ALL files into an HTML file prior to creating a PRC file..

So, my friends, if you're having issues with having file-types that do not work with Vance's Palm Reader...just download this free tool from Mobi....and Voila! you now have an easy way to convert to HTML...which IS supported on the Palm Reader by Vance!
    I usually have about a 99% conversion rate with Mobi Publisher... Unfortunately, some files are just way too messed up to convert properly and it's a problem with the file, not the Publisher software...

I hope this will alleviate some of the issues y'all are havin' with Vance's Dream Come True...for me at least!! Heh heh.. (now if I could JUST get my Reader working since I did the webOS 1.3.1 update I'll be totally satisfied!! )
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It's full featured and completely free until it hits the app catalog.
    So when does it hit the app catalog?
    Love the app, and it's improved every time I update - fixes book load problems each time - I'm still getting .pdb errors, but I didn't even look to see if you're supporting them yet . My BIG request - I would like to read full screen, but I don't want to obscure the screen for each page change, so flicking pages left-right or up-down won't work for me. And I read when I have a chance for a few pages, so auto-scroll doesn't work either. Quickest answer - move the left and right buttons next to each other on the left or right side, so I can go back and forth more easily (or, looking at it, on the left and right side, but I'd like to keep my thumb from moving as much). Best answer - use the gesture area, and a tap to the left of the button is back one page, tap to the right is forward. In portrait or landscape this would make reading clean and "perfect" for me. And thanks again! I've been surviving in Classic, but this is THE app I use every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    ...Best answer - use the gesture area, and a tap to the left of the button is back one page, tap to the right is forward. In portrait or landscape this would make reading clean and "perfect" for me. And thanks again!
    I'm still happy with my period and space bar while the keyboard is open, but I must say I have to agree that if possible, this would be, yeah the "cleanest" and pretty damn "perfect" yes.

Our little jewel of a Pre in our palm reading ebooks effortlessly.

Oh and here is something I came across many months ago and found intriguing. Can you dig it? I knew that you could!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...lling-pre.html
    I can't reproduce this on demand, but 0.2.6 (and I think earlier versions as well) sometimes has troubles in full-screen mode, where it seems to get confused about whether the top and bottom bars are there. The bars aren't displayed, but the area at the top and/or the bottom doesn't show text, just white.

When this happens, the document is missing the text that should be displayed in those the white areas. (i.e. it's not like PalmReader has dropped back into normal mode but didn't draw the bars - it's more like a bar-sized white region is on top of the correctly displayed full-screen text).

When this happens, toggling out and back into full screen mode fixes things.
    Hi.

I am having a few problems with the newest version of the reader.

I have loaded new books but when book is loaded it is a previous book. I am also having issues with loading any new books.

I have cleared the database deleted the reader and reinstalled. And I am still having problems.

Please help!
    Hi everybody,

my German Pre has been updated to 1.3.1 but still does not do bookmarks. When I open my .lits it creates a book mark at "current position 0.00%" but does not update this when i read on.

The "bookmark here" function and the b ookmark button do not seem to have any effect on my device.

I really like the way the app handles otherwise. But having to search for the place I left up every time really puts a damper on this. Am I doing anything wrong?
    - DerSarek

Paranoia is just reality at a higher resolution.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I try to use palmreader on my pre and got hundreds of apps and docs ending with pdb and prc as i have classic installed on my pre. couldn't it be helpful to have a search within directories instead of scanning the whole memory?
    Wow, I really like your reader! One thing I have not figured out yet is if there is a way to work with chapters on my plain old txt ebooks...
    I tried converting them to html with links in front or something, but that did not seem to work...
    So now with WebOS 1.3.1 it works like a charm, really nice App just loving it
    Now all i have to do is to convince the Author of calibre (a very nice E-Book software) to give the Palm Pre a profile

Much thanks for the app an keep up the excellent work

/* Update..
    Grmbl.. now I deleted the Books from the Libary and put a new Version on my palm... It doesn't load any book anymore. Just like with 1.1.3 looks like the Formating is not working. I will reinstall the app so maybe this will help.. I really do hope so

/* Update2
    I reinstalled tryed some epub... wont work tried a lit won't work... **IT!
    Last edited by Holliefant; 11/23/2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Update2
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    is there any way to change the font? I'd really like to use a serif font for my book reading. Great app! Thanks for all yuor effort.

fran
  13. m-s
    I have problems with epub.
    This eBook have only one side after open in palmreader

beam eBooks - Rainer Wolf: Der Aurora Effekt - eBook für Mobipocket Reader, PDF, ePub, eReader

Markus
    Ok.. Al works fine, I didn't realize that you need to have a data connection to get the first formation of a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holliefant View Post
    Ok.. Al works fine, I didn't realize that you need to have a data connection to get the first formation of a book.
    You made my day .. data connection was off
    Unless I'm mistaken, the data connection is only necessary for books in a format other than html or txt. According to the help file in Palm Reader: "If the book is not currently in HTML format, this is the time that it will be converted in the cloud." So Palm Reader actually uploads the book to a server where a conversion is done and then it's sent back to Palm Reader. If you look in your USB drive, you'll find a folder called "convertedbooks" after this happens. Vance has also mentioned somewhere in this thread that once the conversion is complete, the book is deleted from his server. (He's a better person than I am - I would be tempted to keep at least one or two of them! )

Anyway, I just tested this by turning on airplane mode and then opened up an html book and it worked just fine. This is why I prefer to convert most of my books personally before dropping them onto my Pre. They load faster, I can edit the html tags so it shows up on the screen exactly how I want it, and I never have to have a data connection to start a new book. But I'm just anal that way.
    My E-Books are all made with calibre and in epub, so I am quite sure that the problem with no data connection and first opening a E-Book is also with epub
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Quick thought after installing SimpleBible and its 66-plus html books: Any way to set a preference to have Palm Reader ignore specific file types when browsing (or, the alternative, to have PRPRPR $only$ $search$ $for$ $specific$ $file$ $types$)?
    Not a bad thought. My ToDo list includes coming up with some ideas how to improve on the file selection process given the limitations of the Palm FilePicker. I'll add that to the possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I have a problem with bookmarks. If I click the 'bookmark' button, sometimes it says 'Bookmark added', sometimes it doesn't. If I select it from the top menu, it says 'bookmark added', but when I go to the bookmark manager, it gives a message that there are no bookmarks?
    I really don't know what to say about this. I cannot reproduce that sort of behavior at all. Is anyone else having trouble like this with bookmarks?

Quote Originally Posted by DerSarek View Post
    After the update it does .lit on my German Pre!
    No bookmarks, though. Maybe that will work with the new WebOS
    Is the bookmark problem happening on all books, or just some?

Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    That said...there are a couple things I've noticed. Not ALL html, lit, and prc books will load.
    Yes, and I'm working diligently to get more and more of them to load. You've already emailed me a few of your problem books, and I'm making progress

Perhaps the final version can have a search function...or just a title search where they show up when you start typing the title name? It's already like that when you search for a title to upload...so it shouldn't be too hard to do that for the library.
    Well, I'm just using the common file picker for upload, so I didn't write that, but you're right, it shouldn't be too hard to add that. Onto the list of features it goes...

Also...now that I've touched on that...is there a way that one can access the Search for a New Ebook button instead of having to scroll all the way down each and every time?? I'd like to load a bunch of books...not just a few...but it's a pain to have to scroll down all the time because I accidentally open up other titles while I'm scrolling.
    Sure, I can add it to the menu I think.

Also...the bookmark isn't very accurate. For some reason, the bookmark will NOT take me back to where I activated it.... I'm always taken to the beginning of the File.. However...when I just close the App...about 50% of the time, I'll end up back where I left off....so that's ok. 50% is better than the other way where I spend so much time trying to find where I left off...
    Is that with all books you've tried?

Quote Originally Posted by gtwade View Post
    So when does it hit the app catalog?
    It's officially under review now (finally), so hopefully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    Best answer - use the gesture area, and a tap to the left of the button is back one page, tap to the right is forward. In portrait or landscape this would make reading clean and "perfect" for me. And thanks again! I've been surviving in Classic, but this is THE app I use every day.
    I'll think this one through. Assuming it's possible (and allowable by Palm standards) I'll try to do that. It's a neato idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon219 View Post
    Hi.

I am having a few problems with the newest version of the reader.

I have loaded new books but when book is loaded it is a previous book. I am also having issues with loading any new books.

I have cleared the database deleted the reader and reinstalled. And I am still having problems.

Please help!
    I believe we have resolved this one, but it concerns me. I'll spend some time trying to prevent it happening to anyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    I try to use palmreader on my pre and got hundreds of apps and docs ending with pdb and prc as i have classic installed on my pre. couldn't it be helpful to have a search within directories instead of scanning the whole memory?
    Yes, but Palm doesn't allow it, as has been discussed several times on this thread already.

Quote Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
    Wow, I really like your reader! One thing I have not figured out yet is if there is a way to work with chapters on my plain old txt ebooks...
    I tried converting them to html with links in front or something, but that did not seem to work...
    Chapter support is currently minimal, and requires a well-formatted table of contents. I will put some work at some point into making that a more useable feature.

Grmbl.. now I deleted the Books from the Libary and put a new Version on my palm... It doesn't load any book anymore. Just like with 1.1.3 looks like the Formating is not working. I will reinstall the app so maybe this will help.. I really do hope so

/* Update2
    I reinstalled tryed some epub... wont work tried a lit won't work... **IT!
    If you're having trouble loading books, email me at sendbooks@popelli.com with a few examples. We'll discuss what's up and get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by hankbuddy View Post
    is there any way to change the font? I'd really like to use a serif font for my book reading. Great app! Thanks for all yuor effort.
    I've gone back and forth a lot about adding this as a preference. I'm not sure if it's a great idea, as it would further trounce upon author / publisher initiative. What do the rest of you think? Would it be a worthy feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the data connection is only necessary for books in a format other than html or txt. According to the help file in Palm Reader: "If the book is not currently in HTML format, this is the time that it will be converted in the cloud." So Palm Reader actually uploads the book to a server where a conversion is done and then it's sent back to Palm Reader. If you look in your USB drive, you'll find a folder called "convertedbooks" after this happens. Vance has also mentioned somewhere in this thread that once the conversion is complete, the book is deleted from his server. (He's a better person than I am - I would be tempted to keep at least one or two of them!
    That is correct. HTML files are not binary, so can be effectively converted on the device. Binary files, while potentially possible to convert on the device, would be very difficult with a lot of obstacles.
    Any specific requirements for the HTML formatting? I am trying to use your reader for the first time and have a book in HTML with images in an enclosing folder. Won't load. Just keeps saying it's loading. I first tried saving the book with Word, then re-saved it with Firefox but still happens. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong since HTML is pretty clear cut.

I'm using a Mac if that makes any difference.

I'm way excited at the prospect of having an actual reader for the Pre. Getting real tired of formatting PDF files and reading them on the viewer and keeping track of the page I left off at...

EDIT: I chopped up the book and now it loads, but only 34 - 36 pages of each section loads. Is the software crippled to do this, or is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by subliminalfringe; 11/23/2009 at 07:52 PM.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalfringe View Post
    Any specific requirements for the HTML formatting? I am trying to use your reader for the first time and have a book in HTML with images in an enclosing folder. Won't load. Just keeps saying it's loading. I first tried saving the book with Word, then re-saved it with Firefox but still happens. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong since HTML is pretty clear cut.

I'm using a Mac if that makes any difference.

I'm way excited at the prospect of having an actual reader for the Pre. Getting real tired of formatting PDF files and reading them on the viewer and keeping track of the page I left off at...

EDIT: I chopped up the book and now it loads, but only 34 - 36 pages of each section loads. Is the software crippled to do this, or is there something I'm doing wrong?
    There's no crippling nor any reason why you should have to do any manual editing of a large HTML file. If you would like to send me a copy at sendbooks@popelli.com I can take a look at it and see if I can determine what the issue is.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast