Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Has anyone done enough testing to come up with the preferred or best settings in Calibre to make Palm Reader work best? There are so many choices in there that I'm going crazy trying to figure out which to check.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I've been converting everything to pdb format with 100% success now.
    Here's some setup screenshots. Hope it helps.

I'm trying to view a MobiPocket formatted e-book, downloaded from the public library. The "book" is definitely on my Pre, and I have the app downloaded, but when I try to open the book, it formats endlessly and never opens the book. (I literally let it try for over THREE HOURS and the book never opened...)

I don't know how to find the PID of my Pre, can anyone help or does anyone have suggestions as to how to get the book to open? I'm dying for it to work and I'd really appreciate any idea.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by miabelle98 View Post
    I'm trying to view a MobiPocket formatted e-book, downloaded from the public library. The "book" is definitely on my Pre, and I have the app downloaded, but when I try to open the book, it formats endlessly and never opens the book. (I literally let it try for over THREE HOURS and the book never opened...)

I don't know how to find the PID of my Pre, can anyone help or does anyone have suggestions as to how to get the book to open? I'm dying for it to work and I'd really appreciate any idea.

Thanks!
    Your Pre does not have a PID. A PID is something that is internal to the Mobipocket software. Every installation of Mobipocket has its own PID for identification. So, for example, the desktop Mobipocket software I have on my laptop has a PID, the Mobipocket software on my husband's laptop has a completely different PID, and the PalmOS Mobipocket software that I've been running in Classic on my Pre has yet another PID. (Yes, this is running on my Pre, but the PID is generated by Mobipocket, not by the Pre.) When you purchase a book from a website like Fictionwise, for example, you register your PID with that website. Fictionwise allows you to register four different PIDs. When you download the book, it embeds your PID(s) into the DRM of the ebook (don't ask me how it works exactly cuz I don't know the specifics), and when you go to open the ebook with the Mobipocket software, Mobipocket compares its PID to the authorized PID(s) embedded into the DRM. If they match, then you can open the book, but if they don't, you will not be able to open the book.

Now, as far as opening your ebook using Palm Reader, the short answer is you will not be able to, at least not as of yet. The reason Palm Reader can't process your book is because it has DRM and Palm Reader can only open books that are DRM-free. You basically have two options if you want to be able to read ebooks with Palm Reader:
    1. Find books that are DRM-free -- Baen is an excellent site for sci-fi books that are DRM free, if you like that kind of thing. Project Guttenberg is another, although most of the books available there are DRM-free because they're old enough that their copyrights have expired, so there's not a lot of current, mainstream stuff available there. There are probably a few other sites that you'll be able to find with a little googling, but the vast majority of new books by current, big-name authors are going to have DRM in them. Which leads us to the next option...
    2. Strip the DRM out of the books that you buy. This isn't hard to do once you know how, but learning how is tricky because it's a shaky legal subject if you live in the US. People will not post explicit instructions out on a website for fear of getting in legal trouble, and I'm not going to do so here, either, for the same reason. If you do some diligent digging online (ie. googling), you can find what you're looking for.

Maybe one of these days, Vance will be able to add DRM functionality into his wonderful software, but if you read his posts in this thread, you'll see that that's not a high priority for him right now.

Edited to add: Since you said you downloaded your ebook from the public library, I started wondering about that.... did you have to enter in a PID when you downloaded the ebook from the library? If so, where did you get that PID from?
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Has anyone done enough testing to come up with the preferred or best settings in Calibre to make Palm Reader work best? There are so many choices in there that I'm going crazy trying to figure out which to check.
    I'm trying my best to support as many formats as possible out of the box. What is wrong with the format of the original book? Is it not displaying, or displaying poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Maybe one of these days, Vance will be able to add DRM functionality into his wonderful software, but if you read his posts in this thread, you'll see that that's not a high priority for him right now.
    Oh, I wouldn't say it's low priority, but I would say I have no idea how to legally do it. Presumably it would require legal contracts with the publishers, or at least with the web sites that sell the books. As a dedicated code monkey, that's not really my forte. Hopefully once the app is published and gets a solid user base, I'll have the resources and the clout to make some of those conversations happen.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I had an interesting bug crop up last night.

I was reading Gust Front by John Ringo (highly recommend both the Council Wars and the Allendante series to all scifi and fantasy types. Both are excellent war stories.) When it started to load File 2 of Gust Front it "hiccupped" for a couple minutes and then started the next book in the series (When the Devil Dances). Now I cant get Gust Front to reload.

Since I couldnt get the rest of Gust Front to show I cleared the database of books and only added the one book. Now it loads for hours. I started it last night around 8pm cst. When I got up at 5am it was still in the process. Granted I had to abort it because every morning I get the "too Many Cards" message.

Vance do you want a copy of these ebooks to test with as well?

Thanks in advance. I'm really enjoying this program. I was so close to buying a Kindle or the Nook before this showed up in the repository.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    Vance do you want a copy of these ebooks to test with as well?
    Yes, please! That sounds a very strange problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    I had an interesting bug crop up last night.

was reading Gust Front by John Ringo (highly recommend both the Council Wars and the Allendante series to all scifi and fantasy types. Both are excellent war stories.) When it started to load File 2 of Gust Front it "hiccupped" for a couple minutes and then started the next book in the series (When the Devil Dances). Now I cant get Gust Front to reload..
    I have a related problem.

I downloaded six novels from Baen as mobi. I converted each one.

each displays the first two files and then switches to the next book in the library.

alternativly, I can open the first book in the library and next file through the entire library the first two files of each book, the last displaying as file 12 of book one

oooops.
    Last edited by rboatright; 11/13/2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Vance,
    Can you walk me through installing Microsoft Reader in Palm Reader, or if it is supported How do I install .LIT files into Palm Reader? How do you convert PRC and PDB files into .LIT files so as to install them into Palm Reader?
    Thanks,
    bstok001
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by bstok001 View Post
    Vance,
    Can you walk me through installing Microsoft Reader in Palm Reader, or if it is supported How do I install .LIT files into Palm Reader? How do you convert PRC and PDB files into .LIT files so as to install them into Palm Reader?
    There should be no need to convert any of those file. Copy the files to your device using the USB file transfer, then load Palm Reader and tap "SEARCH FOR BOOK." It should be that simple.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Sorry for the delay in getting those files to you. I sent them just a couple of minutes ago. If you need anything further please let me know.

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    I'm trying my best to support as many formats as possible out of the box. What is wrong with the format of the original book? Is it not displaying, or displaying poorly?
    I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of enormous amounts of white space between paragraphs. It's a Palmdoc pdb file that displays perfectly in pReader, though I prefer the scrolling features of your app.
    I have some PDFs that I want to convert to ebook. I started with the ePub format first (only because it was at the top of the conversion list), but the 300KB file timed out when the reader was attempting its conversion. Is there any format that is more efficient (easier for the program to convert)?

For reference the file is attached, change the extension to .epub.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of enormous amounts of white space between paragraphs. It's a Palmdoc pdb file that displays perfectly in pReader, though I prefer the scrolling features of your app.
    Please note a major difference between the pReader app and Palm Reader. The former strips ALL FORMATTING from your book, so it has a lot more control over how the thing displays. Palm Reader maintains a good deal of the formatting from the original book. Who am I to say that the extra space between paragraphs wasn't intentional?

However, if you'd like to send that book to sendbooks@popelli.com, I can take a look at it and see if there is anything erroneous or odd about the way the app is formatting the book.
  15.    #115  
    I just posted a new update that should fix most of the loading issues I've seen so far. Additionally, it makes use of the new ability (as of webOS 1.3) to block the screen from turning off while in auto-scroll mode.
    I have several ms reader ebooks in .lit format which import properly. My problem is they have links (in blue) which when you tap them, they either do nothing (they are supposed to jump to other sections in the books), or bring me to another window which says tap to look up word...

What is going on? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyloveland View Post
    I have several ms reader ebooks in .lit format which import properly. My problem is they have links (in blue) which when you tap them, they either do nothing (they are supposed to jump to other sections in the books), or bring me to another window which says tap to look up word...

What is going on? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
    Internal links are currently only handled on a properly formatted table of contents. As time goes on, I will continue to expand upon what the application considers "properly formatted."

If the link is not recognized as a TOC link or an external link, your tap will be considered a dictionary lookup (unless, of course, you disable dictionary lookup in the preferences, in which case the tap will be ignored).
    So, is there anything I can do to make these books work at all? Or is there a better format to download them in?
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyloveland View Post
    So, is there anything I can do to make these books work at all? Or is there a better format to download them in?
    Perhaps I have misunderstood. I thought you said the books work well, only the links are giving you issue. If that is the case, then no, there isn't much to currently do. As I said, I will continue to work on the many different varieties and methods of internal linking to support as many as possible.

If there's something else wrong with the book, let me know and we'll try to work it out.
    So, basically with these books, they completely function off the links... They open to a Table of Contents pretty much and then to get to the actual content, you have to click on these links.

I really hope they will work soon, because this is a awesome app so far.

Any help/ideas would be MUCH appreciated. I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to send you the books if that would help in your development as well

Thanks!
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast