Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    As we supposed to be able to open books that I purchased from eReader.com.

I have a ton and the one or two that I tried gave me an error saying the file might be corrupted, which I don't think is the real cause.

I do however thing eReader books that I purchased do have some kind of protection in them because I remember having to enter my credit card info to open the book the first time on my Treo.

If I can't open the eReader books that would mean only the free stuff is available.

Thanks for letting me know the answer.

Rob
    Chances are, if you paid money for an ebook, it came embedded with DRM. There are some exceptions to this rule, but if you had to enter your name and part of the credit card number in order to open the book the first time, then yes, that book has DRM. It's keyed to your name and credit card number. As of yet, Palm Reader does not have the capability to open ebooks with DRM. There are methods to strip DRM from an ebook, but that's of questionable legality and therefore isn't usually discussed in an open forum. You can PM me if you want more information.
  2.    #82  
    First note: rather than quote everyone here that had format issues, take this as a response to all of you. I've posted an update that should resolve at least some of them, so if you would like to install the update and try your book again, that'd be great. If you still have an issue, please email the book and a description of the problem to sendbooks@popelli.com.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    so now I can get this one lit file to open its 674k but it work on mircosoft reader..what do I need to do
    The update may resolve the problem for you. If not, please send me the book so I can analyze.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Mobipocket uses formatting tags that are very similar to HTML (in fact, most of them are straight from HTML), but these tags don't seem to work right in Palm Reader. Does Palm Reader use strictly HTML tags?
    The Palm Reader is restricted to very basic HTML tags. The reason is that the only way we can do user-customizable formatting (font size and color) is to use similar tags, so leaving too much of the book's original, complicated formatting in there can cause problems with those settings.

In this way, when I click on "Chapter 1" in the table of contents, it takes me to the Chapter 1 header, and when I click on the Chapter 1 header, it takes me back to the table of contents. In Palm Reader, these items are colored blue, but tapping on them does nothing. Any suggestions on how I could code this properly so that Palm Reader will recognize my table of contents?
    In many cases, the reader will recognize a table of contents, and it doesn't look like yours should not be an exception. If you'd like to send me a book with such a TOC, I'll take a look and see what the problem is.

One final question - Palm Reader recognizes the title of my ebook from the <title> tag in my file's header but I have yet to figure out what tag to use for the author, so all of my books come up as "Author unknown". I realize that I can edit that information from the Library, but is there a tag I can use that will let Palm Reader pull the information automatically?
    All that information is in the meta tags of the PRC (or most other format) file, and yes I have plans to automatically get that information in a future update.

Oh, and I guess that leads me to one other question (sorry!) - any plans to make it so we can sort the library in other ways other than just title? How about title, author, or subject?
    The library is scheduled for an overhaul soon, and that will probably be one of the additions, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Some notes:It would be nice if the app could read the title and author from the file. Feedbooks downloads are good examples of the download simply being a number. If I rename the file, then the library will show that name (when loaded), but when searching, the file number must be used.
    As mentioned above, a future update will auto-get author, title and other info from the meta information.

Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    In this Rev, you cannot search for numbered files efficiently. If you hit Orange plus a number, the search box doesn't appear until the second character is typed.
    Are you referring to typing filenames in the FilePicker? Like, after you click "SEARCH FOR BOOK?" If so, there is nothing I can really do about that, as the FilePicker is a Palm object, and I have no control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    As we supposed to be able to open books that I purchased from eReader.com.

I have a ton and the one or two that I tried gave me an error saying the file might be corrupted, which I don't think is the real cause.

I do however thing eReader books that I purchased do have some kind of protection in them because I remember having to enter my credit card info to open the book the first time on my Treo.
    Yes, those books are probably encrypted with DRM, and we cannot currently (legally) support DRM files. I have updated the error message to attempt and more clearly explain this problem when trying to open an encrypted book.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by mva1958 View Post
    I've noticed just a little glitch, not really a major problem - I have a load of pdb and lit files that have the extensions in caps rather than lower case. Not sure which of my conversion programs is responsible, but in any event when I try to load one, I get an error message advising that "PDB format not supported" or "LIT format not supported". Going in and changing the extension to pdb/lit took care of that. TXT file extensions loaded just fine, haven't experimented with HTM i/o htm.
    That is resolved in the current update. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mva1958 View Post
    I also have one pdb file that won't let me enter a bookmark - I've tried renaming the file but it still won't take a bookmark or save my current reading position - weird. My other lit/txt/pdb/htm files work just fine.
    Some very few books have strange enough formatting that positioning and bookmarks will not work. I've been trying to come up with a way to counter that, and hopefully I'll get it fixed soon. Sorry about that.
    Is there a changelog for each update?
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Is there a changelog for each update?
    There is a changelog for every significant update, and it is posted both to this thread and the help file within the app.

If the update just contains one bug fix, I may not make a change log to describe it.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Kudos to Vance!!!
    The latest update (2.4) has made the PalmReader work beautifully for me.
    So far there is only one book that won't load (out of over 160). And it wasn't added to the book list (thanks). I've loaded about 15 books so far (several that wouldn't load before) and they all load within 20 to 30 seconds. And several over 300k in size.
    I converted all my books to pdb from epub format (via Calibre) and before none of them would load.
    Now almost all load in record time and I have the cover art as well.
    I am impressed!
    I have noticed whenever it changes files, the bar along the top shows up with the battery and everything else showing. I have to click hold to bring everything up and do it again to get rid of everything including the bar. It only happens during file changes but I figured I would toss that out for you to know
    I trying to set up a Sametime account but it does seem to connect to the server in messager. I have used the same setting that Pidgin is using on my desktop. I can bring up the default page if you go to http://st.host.com:1533. Is there something I'm missing?
    How do I unlock the DRM like in old ereader on my palm I can not convert or open?
    I have the code?
    How do I unlock the DRM like in old ereader on my palm I can not convert or open?
    I have the code?
    I emailed you my ebook yesterday and I don't know what you did but it loaded.. Makes me wonder is this app web based...
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
    Kudos to Vance!!!
    The latest update (2.4) has made the PalmReader work beautifully for me.
    So far there is only one book that won't load (out of over 160). And it wasn't added to the book list (thanks). I've loaded about 15 books so far (several that wouldn't load before) and they all load within 20 to 30 seconds. And several over 300k in size.
    I converted all my books to pdb from epub format (via Calibre) and before none of them would load.
    Now almost all load in record time and I have the cover art as well.
    I am impressed!
    Thank you! Did you have a need to convert the books from epub format? They should work in the Reader in the original, epub format. If you would like me to take a look at the one book that didn't work, you can send it to sendbooks@popelli.com.

Quote Originally Posted by HagerDeath1 View Post
    I have noticed whenever it changes files, the bar along the top shows up with the battery and everything else showing. I have to click hold to bring everything up and do it again to get rid of everything including the bar. It only happens during file changes but I figured I would toss that out for you to know
    Let me see if I understand what you're saying. Essentially, you're saying that full screen mode is not maintained when changing from one file to the next?

Quote Originally Posted by djkraven View Post
    I trying to set up a Sametime account but it does seem to connect to the server in messager. I have used the same setting that Pidgin is using on my desktop. I can bring up the default page if you go to Host. Is there something I'm missing?
    I'm sorry, but I really don't know what you're talking about. What is Sametime and what does it have to do with the Palm Reader?

Quote Originally Posted by Approved Comfort View Post
    I have the code?
    It is technically possible to remove the DRM from your books (well, most formats). Legally, as the author of this software, I am disinclined to offer advice as to how this can be done. I'm sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I emailed you my ebook yesterday and I don't know what you did but it loaded.. Makes me wonder is this app web based...
    Please see the first post on this thread. It says, "Support for Mobipocket (PRC), ePub, Microsoft Reader (LIT) and PalmDoc (pdb) files has been added. Be sure to read the help section about multi-function support!" That section of the help file is very clear that decoding of non-html, non-text books is done in the cloud on our servers. This is by far the most efficient and convenient method of file conversion. Without this method, trying to use JavaScript to write binary conversions of all those file types would take months, at least.

Note, books are immediately deleted from our servers upon conversion. The servers are used as a conversion tool only, not a storage device.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I have a .mobi file that I purchased and downloaded that reads fine on my Windows Mobi reader, but when I try to read it with this, all I get is a small string of random characters that it believes is the entire book. When I look out in the "convertedbooks" directory in the media partition, it appears to have successfully unpacked the cover image (actually, 2 copies of it in different resolutions -- one is maybe the icon version?), but there is nothing else there.

I don't think this file is protected by DRM, because I was able to download it and read it on my PC without having to enter any sort of key.

Any ideas for how to troubleshoot this? I tried renaming it to ".prc" instead of ".mobi" as someone early in the thread mentioned, but that just caused it to hang on loading. Maybe it was actually converting the file, but it's not a large book, and I left it for at least 5 minutes. I quit and tried again, and got the same results as above.

I would definitely consider buying this when it hits the app catalog if I can get it to read these files. I'm going to try downloading Calibre to see if it can read and possibly convert the .mobi to something else, but obviously being able to use it as-is would be nice.

Thanks,
    -- robert
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmingee View Post
    I have a .mobi file that I purchased and downloaded that reads fine on my Windows Mobi reader, but when I try to read it with this, all I get is a small string of random characters that it believes is the entire book. When I look out in the "convertedbooks" directory in the media partition, it appears to have successfully unpacked the cover image (actually, 2 copies of it in different resolutions -- one is maybe the icon version?), but there is nothing else there.

I don't think this file is protected by DRM, because I was able to download it and read it on my PC without having to enter any sort of key.

Any ideas for how to troubleshoot this? I tried renaming it to ".prc" instead of ".mobi" as someone early in the thread mentioned, but that just caused it to hang on loading. Maybe it was actually converting the file, but it's not a large book, and I left it for at least 5 minutes. I quit and tried again, and got the same results as above.

I would definitely consider buying this when it hits the app catalog if I can get it to read these files. I'm going to try downloading Calibre to see if it can read and possibly convert the .mobi to something else, but obviously being able to use it as-is would be nice.
    Most purchased books have DRM. Not all, of course, but most. Mobipocket for the PC will, I believe, decrypt them without entering anything (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Feel free to email the book to me at sendbooks@popelli.com and I will check it out to see what the problem may be.
    Many of you know about the Baen Books Free Library, but for even more free (and apparently permitted) downloads of Baen SF books that you can read in this great new program, check out:

BaenCD at the Fifth Imperium

Definitely worth the link. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Let me see if I understand what you're saying. Essentially, you're saying that full screen mode is not maintained when changing from one file to the next?
    The app itself stays in full screen, just the bar that you normally see at the top of the phone comes up. the bar the shows time, phone signal strength, battery percent, etc.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This is a nice effort indeed. BUT:

I like to create my own books by loading content into a MS Word Doc, including adding graphics, and saving as an HTML file. Then I take the HTML file and convert it with Mobipocket Creator for Palm OS. Recently I loaded content from an online magazine I subscribe to (where graphics are more important than a book):

Such files look great in this app EXCEPT:

1. The graphics I manually add to the Word Doc show up, but the graphics that are copied in bulk along with the other online content don't display in this app, even though they show up in Mobipocket on Classic are in the "xx_files" folder of the HTML file.

2. This app split my file into more than one file, which is OK; but the second file started at "41%." Thereafter, when I kept reading to 46% or 61% or whatever, it kept jumping back to 41% (and sometimes to 0%). Sometimes bookmarks were lost, as was the last place I left off.

But since I have so many Mobipocket files, I am very grateful somebody is working on this.

So, in summary, the above problems take away from my reading experience but I'm still grateful.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    This is a major update of the Palm Reader app, so I created a new thread.

Here is the change log:

• Longer files are now split up into manageable chunks. This allows for considerably faster formatting and better overall performance while reading.
    • Apostrophe characters in title names now allowed.
    • Chapter-navigation from table of contents pages is, with most books, implemented.
    • Selecting a book in the library now defaults to loading book; tap-hold-release brings up the additional menu.
    • Overlarge images are scaled to fit the screen, when possible.
    • Some bugs with positioning across orientation changes and font size changes have been fixed.
    • Support for Mobipocket (PRC), ePub, Microsoft Reader (LIT) and PalmDoc (pdb) files has been added. Be sure to read the help section about multi-function support!
    • Major interface changes for usability.
    • Version number reduced to 0.2 based on a rumor that Palm requires less than 1.0 for the beta app catalog.

and i'll write a language support
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugduk View Post
    This is a nice effort indeed. BUT:

I like to create my own books by loading content into a MS Word Doc, including adding graphics, and saving as an HTML file. Then I take the HTML file and convert it with Mobipocket Creator for Palm OS. Recently I loaded content from an online magazine I subscribe to (where graphics are more important than a book):

Such files look great in this app EXCEPT:

1. The graphics I manually add to the Word Doc show up, but the graphics that are copied in bulk along with the other online content don't display in this app, even though they show up in Mobipocket on Classic are in the "xx_files" folder of the HTML file.

2. This app split my file into more than one file, which is OK; but the second file started at "41%." Thereafter, when I kept reading to 46% or 61% or whatever, it kept jumping back to 41% (and sometimes to 0%). Sometimes bookmarks were lost, as was the last place I left off.

But since I have so many Mobipocket files, I am very grateful somebody is working on this.

So, in summary, the above problems take away from my reading experience but I'm still grateful.
    I'll certainly do my best to support homemade formats, but I cannot promise absolute support. If you could send one of the books that doesn't come out right to sendbooks@popelli.com, I'll see what I can do.
    Most purchased books have DRM. Not all, of course, but most. Mobipocket for the PC will, I believe, decrypt them without entering anything (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that).
    In a way, yes, Mobipocket does decrypt them without entering anything. When you install Mobipocket on a PC (or any device, for that matter), it issues that version of Mobipocket a PID. You register this PID with whatever website you are purchasing your books from, and from that point on, every book you download from that website automatically embeds that PID into the DRM of the book when you download it. (At least, this is how it's done at Fictionwise, and I'm assuming it's a similar process on other sites.) When you try to open a book, Mobipocket automatically checks the PID in the DRM against its own PID -- if they match, you can open the book, but if they don't, you get an error message. You never have to manually type in the PID to open a book.

So you do have to register an unlock code, but you only have to do it once, and it could have been long enough ago that you've forgotten doing it. Here's the easiest way to tell if your book has DRM in it:

1. Open the book in question with Mobipocket Reader on your PC.
    2. Go to your library and right-click on the book you want to check.
    3. Choose "Properties", then click on the "Summary" tab.
    4. If the "Encryption" field says "PID Encrypted", that book has DRM. If there's no DRM, it will say "Non encrypted".

If you do these steps and it says your book is encrypted, then it's a good bet that that's your problem. If it says it's not encrypted, then I'm stumped and I'd say you should send that book to Vance and let him take a look at it.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast