Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Wow.. This app takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r loading a book for the first time. I haven't had any success with 2 books so far - a 1.3mb htm and a 300k prc. Is it normal for a 300k prc to take more than 30 minutes to load/convert?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Does it support navigation in the mobipocket files?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    downloaded 1635 - tangled web as a mobi from Baen.
    Cross loaded onto the pre

Selected it in reader
    It uploaded to cloud

Process ran for over an hour

Never completed.

Ooops.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromius View Post
    I'm also getting stuck on the Loading screen. I am attempting to load non-DRM's ePub files. And I am running WebOS 1.2.1 (USA Sprint).

Any ideas? Want one of my epubs emailed to you?

B
    Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    This is exactly what I've been anxiously awaiting!

I have over a hundred ebooks I've purchased from Baen, and the ones Tor was inviting people to download some time back.

Unfortunately something isn't working in the formatting. Basically I'm seeing all the tags for what I assume is the metadata, although it looks an incredible amount like html. My files are all in prc.

Pretty sure I got the attachment in this post. If you need any further information please let me know.

The community greatly appreciates your efforts, I'm certain.

Jack
    I have released an update that should resolve these problems. I haven't seen all of these books, in particular, but I managed to reproduce similar problems with various books, and I resolved them.

Please let me know if they persist.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldor View Post
    Wow.. This app takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r loading a book for the first time. I haven't had any success with 2 books so far - a 1.3mb htm and a 300k prc. Is it normal for a 300k prc to take more than 30 minutes to load/convert?
    Nope! Try the update and let me know if it works out a little better. Some PRC files were killing the processing, and I think I worked around that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Does it support navigation in the mobipocket files?
    I assume you are referring to clickable table of contents? In some, perhaps most of them, yes. But alas, not all. If you have a book whose table of contents does not work, I can take a look at it and see if there's anything I can do to support it (and therefore, of course, books like it).
    Just downloaded my first ebook.. So far so good
    Last edited by OneDeep; 11/06/2009 at 07:15 PM.
    --Marvin
    @darkheart777 Barnes & Noble acquired Fictionwise which in turn acquired eReader a while ago. So the net is that the Barnes&Noble "format" is actually the same Secure eReader format that I was playing with.

That said, supposedly B&N/Fictionwise/eReader is working on porting their app to webOS but no ETA has been given.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    OK so I came from several treo iterations to the pre. I could load the old ereader in classic and load my books, but I want the pre to handle in all its glory. I see this ap, get excited, and the DRM .... I really had no idea they were DRM pdb files. I never had problems using them on various treos, cause I just plugged in my credit card number and that unlocked them.... "Perhaps once the app is in the catalog and doing well,..." How is this palm reader program going to go anywhere if you can't buy an ebook somewhere and load it..???
    Where am I supposed to get copies of the books I want, not just what might be available?

0.2.3 works perfectly, thank, you

Rick
    Last edited by rboatright; 11/06/2009 at 11:52 PM.
    I've noticed just a little glitch, not really a major problem - I have a load of pdb and lit files that have the extensions in caps rather than lower case. Not sure which of my conversion programs is responsible, but in any event when I try to load one, I get an error message advising that "PDB format not supported" or "LIT format not supported". Going in and changing the extension to pdb/lit took care of that. TXT file extensions loaded just fine, haven't experimented with HTM i/o htm.

I also have one pdb file that won't let me enter a bookmark - I've tried renaming the file but it still won't take a bookmark or save my current reading position - weird. My other lit/txt/pdb/htm files work just fine.
    so now I can get this one lit file to open its 674k but it work on mircosoft reader..what do I need to do
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    I see this ap, get excited, and the DRM .... I really had no idea they were DRM pdb files. Where am I supposed to get copies of the books I want, not just what might be available?
    The fault is not with the good folks developing these readers ... the "dirty little secret" is that the whole ebook world is really a big mess right now because most of the publishers/authors/sellers demand DRM (aka copy-protection). For the most part, the ebooks you buy are only readable on the software and platforms supported by the seller and there's no guarantee that you'll still be able to read them in the future ... the leader in this evil (IMHO) scheme being Amazon and their Kindle. They want to "lock" you into their store.

So, there are some places that sell "open" books (Fictionwise trys), and there's public domain books (like Project Gutenberg), and there eventually should be an eReader for the Palm. Right this second, your best bet for "pay" books is probably Shortcovers (which is what I use mostly), or eReader under Classic (ugh!). You unfortunately have to look carefully and check to see what you're buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    The fault is not with the good folks developing these readers ... the "dirty little secret" is that the whole ebook world is really a big mess right now because most of the publishers/authors/sellers demand DRM (aka copy-protection). For the most part, the ebooks you buy are only readable on the software and platforms supported by the seller and there's no guarantee that you'll still be able to read them in the future ... the leader in this evil (IMHO) scheme being Amazon and their Kindle. They want to "lock" you into their store.

So, there are some places that sell "open" books (Fictionwise trys), and there's public domain books (like Project Gutenberg), and there eventually should be an eReader for the Palm. Right this second, your best bet for "pay" books is probably Shortcovers (which is what I use mostly), or eReader under Classic (ugh!). You unfortunately have to look carefully and check to see what you're buying.
    You're right, Fictionwise does try, but unfortunately, the problem is with the publishers who insist on having DRM. The vast majority of new books that are available without DRM are written by unheard of authors that the publishers don't give a **** about (until they start making them all kinds of money), and while there's a few diamonds in the rough in that category, most of what I want to buy is written by authors that are backed by big name publishers, meaning probably more than 90% of what I own originally came with DRM. Luckily, I've done a great deal of research and have found ways to strip the DRM from my ebooks. It's unfortunately a time-consuming process if you're nit-picky about the final output of the books (like I am), and we can debate the whole legality of doing such a thing, but personally, I feel like they're my books and I should be able to read them on whatever device I choose to use. I won't say any more on the subject, but if anyone wants more information, feel free to PM me.

Oh, and if anyone is a big sci-fi reader, definitely check out Baen's website. Not only do they have a free library with a decent selection of ebooks available, but also none of the ebooks they have for purchase come with DRM in them. They're just about the only major publisher (that I'm aware of) that does so.
    First, let me just say that I'm really loving this app, and I want to thank you for all of the work you've done on it. I'll definitely be purchasing a copy when it finally comes out in the app catalog. I'm thrilled that you've added the ability to read mobi files, as that's the format the vast majority of my ebooks are in. I just have one question regarding formatting. Mobipocket uses formatting tags that are very similar to HTML (in fact, most of them are straight from HTML), but these tags don't seem to work right in Palm Reader. Does Palm Reader use strictly HTML tags? For example, in all of my mobi files, at the beginning of each paragraph, I use the tag <p width="8%"> and that makes a very nice looking indent when I read it using the Mobipocket software, but in Palm Reader, all paragraphs are left-aligned. Also, is there any way to decrease the amount of space that is inserted between paragraphs? It seems like a rather large amount of white space. When you were only able to open html files, I edited them to use about 8 &nbsp; at the beginning of each paragraph and used <br /> at the end, instead of </p>. I know this is incredibly nit-picky, and I certainly understand if you don't have any plans to handle Mobipocket specific formatting, but I just like my ebooks to be formatted to look more like what a print book looks like, so I thought I'd ask.

The other tag that I use a lot is for the formatting of my table of contents. An entry on my table of contents looks like this:
    <p align="center" id="TOC1"><a href="#ch1">Chapter 1</a></p>
    and then my header for Chapter 1 would look like this:
    <h3 height="2%" align="center" id="ch1"><b><a href="#TOC1">Chapter 1</a></b></h3>
    In this way, when I click on "Chapter 1" in the table of contents, it takes me to the Chapter 1 header, and when I click on the Chapter 1 header, it takes me back to the table of contents. In Palm Reader, these items are colored blue, but tapping on them does nothing. Any suggestions on how I could code this properly so that Palm Reader will recognize my table of contents?

One final question - Palm Reader recognizes the title of my ebook from the <title> tag in my file's header but I have yet to figure out what tag to use for the author, so all of my books come up as "Author unknown". I realize that I can edit that information from the Library, but is there a tag I can use that will let Palm Reader pull the information automatically? Oh, and I guess that leads me to one other question (sorry!) - any plans to make it so we can sort the library in other ways other than just title? How about title, author, or subject?

Anyway, thanks again! Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to your future updates.

-- Alisa
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Finally got palm reader (not PReader :-))
    All of my books are in epub format. A few of them are read in fine. But most of them will not load. Almost all were either downloaded from ManyBooks.net or Project Gutenberg.
    I've tried converting them via Calibre to pdb, mobi (renamed mobi to prc) and rtf formats.
    Any idea what could be the problem? I'll be glad to email the book files to you.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    I have released an update that should resolve these problems. I haven't seen all of these books, in particular, but I managed to reproduce similar problems with various books, and I resolved them.

Please let me know if they persist.
    I'm not sure if the initial issue is still present. Currently it's throwing up another error.

This morning I emailed you a copy of Freehold, the book I used and had the first issue on, and installed the updated app. Below is a picture of my error.

sorry for the delay in getting the book to you for testing purproses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm having the same problem many are having. Most of my library (which is in non drm .prc format) will not load. I have tried to convert them to other formats (epub, lit, txt) using both calibre and stanza but all have the same problem of going into the endless "Loading" loop. I'm going to try HTML next.
    Ok interestingly none of the formats would load until I did a hard reset on my device. It seems that whenever I copy a new book to the reader I have to perform a hard reset to load it. It also appears that deleted books are not removed from the library.

BTW, if I havent said it already, this is probably the most promising ebook reader for the pre. Once you work through these minor issues I'm sure you'll find a very large user base myself included.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Some notes:

It would be nice if the app could read the title and author from the file. Feedbooks downloads are good examples of the download simply being a number. If I rename the file, then the library will show that name (when loaded), but when searching, the file number must be used.

In this Rev, you cannot search for numbered files efficiently. If you hit Orange plus a number, the search box doesn't appear until the second character is typed.

I cannot get .epub files to ever open (from Feedbooks. .mobi versions of these files load fine, but the first lines seem to get truncated.
  19.    #79  
    I don't have time to respond to every post right now (it's a beautiful Sunday evening, after all ) - I'll get to it tomorrow. In the meantime, I've set up a special email box to receive copies of books that are giving my users problems. If you're interested in having me look at a book that isn't loading (that you're pretty sure SHOULD load), feel free to email them to sendbooks@popelli.com, and I'll check it out.
    As we supposed to be able to open books that I purchased from eReader.com.

I have a ton and the one or two that I tried gave me an error saying the file might be corrupted, which I don't think is the real cause.

I do however thing eReader books that I purchased do have some kind of protection in them because I remember having to enter my credit card info to open the book the first time on my Treo.

If I can't open the eReader books that would mean only the free stuff is available.

Thanks for letting me know the answer.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast