Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thank you! I will definitely buy this once some usability issues are worked out. I've been waiting for a prc/mobi book reader to come out for webOS.

I'm having the same issue with seeing markup. Some Baen books work fine, others show the markup.

I would second the issue with book names. When they are long, you can't see the full name. This would be good in landscape, but it isn't rotating for me.
    Ugh.

I wasted a couple hours today trying to figure out how to convert a DRM'ed pdb file into non-DRM form. Right now I'm getting stuck at converting a PML file back into pdb. Something about illegal control codes.

Will report if I get further.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    i have same problems with my Palm Pre 1.0.3 (CDMA) like German users do. i try to open txt with volume approx. 20 bytes... program writes me i should be patient. i think 3 minutes for opening 20 bytes file is toooooooo long...
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
    On page numbers, I have nothing but text on the screen. No numbers or page buttons. Here's a screen shot (from an old Doctor Who novel)
    Hate to say it, but that's not Palm Reader. You're using pReader, the other Homebrew eBook reader. I'm afraid I can't fix that for you

Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    Unfortunately something isn't working in the formatting. Basically I'm seeing all the tags for what I assume is the metadata, although it looks an incredible amount like html. My files are all in prc.
    That's strange. Can I get a copy of one of those books for testing purposes? I'll PM you my email address.

Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    Will DRM'ed pdb support be forthcoming i.e. the ereader format? Maybe something like pdbshred.
    The legality of auto-removing DRM with a reader app are shaky at best. While ethically I think you should be able to read those books on the Palm Reader, it's legally a very bad idea for us to support. Perhaps once the app is in the catalog and doing well, an arrangement can be made with some of the publishers to allow downloading of Palm Reader DRM books, specifically encrypted for our app, but for now, there will be no DRM support.

Quote Originally Posted by fordchico View Post
    I'm also trying to download a book I got from Gutenberg, the Divine Comedy and it is stuck on the loading page. Any thoughts? It's a pdb file.
    Can you verify that you are running WebOS 1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by boseco View Post
    when i go to load sometimes it freezes and other time when it comes up there are symbols that come up instead of the words
    Can you verify that you are running WebOS 1.2? If so, I would like to look at one of those books.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-0-1 View Post
    I'm having the same issue with seeing markup. Some Baen books work fine, others show the markup.

I would second the issue with book names. When they are long, you can't see the full name. This would be good in landscape, but it isn't rotating for me.
    Nope; as I mentioned several times, the File Picker is not under my control. Can't do a thing about it. As far as seeing markup, I'd have to take a look at one of those books to see if I can diagnose the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by igor.cv View Post
    i have same problems with my Palm Pre 1.0.3 (CDMA) like German users do. i try to open txt with volume approx. 20 bytes... program writes me i should be patient. i think 3 minutes for opening 20 bytes file is toooooooo long...
    Unfortunately, I have no way to test or diagnose that issue, not having a similar device / OS to test with Do HTML books work?
    @vance6842 I'm not necessarily advocating the removal of DRM. IIRC the specs for ereader encryption is published somewhere. Since the encryption mostly consists of name + cc, maybe that's something you can implement to do decryption on the fly a la the old eReader app on the Treos.

All I really care about is being able to finally ditch the Treo for reading purposes. =)
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    @vance6842 I'm not necessarily advocating the removal of DRM. IIRC the specs for ereader encryption is published somewhere. Since the encryption mostly consists of name + cc, maybe that's something you can implement to do decryption on the fly a la the old eReader app on the Treos.

All I really care about is being able to finally ditch the Treo for reading purposes. =)
    Considering the lack of binary tools available to developers on the Pre, conversion of non-text, non-HTML books is done in the cloud (i.e. off-device). I would therefore be very concerned about decrypting DRM at the same time. Perhaps down the road, though, when the legal ramifications of such things can be clearly delineated, Palm Reader may begin to accumulate such features.
  7. pbk
    Can someone tell me exactly how to get ebooks on to the Pre, do you just drag them from the PC into the Pre via USB connection?
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by pbk View Post
    Can someone tell me exactly how to get ebooks on to the Pre, do you just drag them from the PC into the Pre via USB connection?
    Yup!
    I just can't wait to get a good WebOs Version on my Pre.. I so hoped for that kind of application. Much Thx for it, even thought I can't use it right now Stupid GSM Pre
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Holliefant View Post
    I just can't wait to get a good WebOs Version on my Pre.. I so hoped for that kind of application. Much Thx for it, even thought I can't use it right now Stupid GSM Pre
    The reader SHOULD still work with HTML formatted books. Give it a try and let me know if that is effective. Not as convenient, since you'll have to convert books yourself, but it could get you through the next month or so waiting for the webOS update
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Nope; as I mentioned several times, the File Picker is not under my control. Can't do a thing about it. As far as seeing markup, I'd have to take a look at one of those books to see if I can diagnose the problem.
    From what I have heard, this is all html/javascript based. Is it possible to supply your own CSS to format what is returned? Possibly a smaller font?
    I'm also getting stuck on the Loading screen. I am attempting to load non-DRM's ePub files. And I am running WebOS 1.2.1 (USA Sprint).

Any ideas? Want one of my epubs emailed to you?

B
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-0-1 View Post
    From what I have heard, this is all html/javascript based. Is it possible to supply your own CSS to format what is returned? Possibly a smaller font?
    We can format any of our own widgets and screens in such a manner, but not an external application, which the FilePicker is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromius View Post
    I'm also getting stuck on the Loading screen. I am attempting to load non-DRM's ePub files. And I am running WebOS 1.2.1 (USA Sprint).

Any ideas? Want one of my epubs emailed to you?

B
    Yes please. I PM'ed you on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    iSiloC32.exe from this collection of utilities seems to work for converting iSilo pdbs back to a more universal format. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to preserve the formatting, but I needed some way of converting my several dozen ebooks on my Centro to work on my Pre.

Thanks for this AWESOME program by the way.
    I knew about that link, it was posted elsewhere. I tried setting up the Word macros. Did not work well.

When I ran the iSiloC32.exe program from the command line it said;

"This program converts HTML, text, or Doc files to iSilo(TM)
    format."

So I assumed it converted TO iSilo. How did you convert FROM iSilo?
    Last edited by Paladin; 11/06/2009 at 10:43 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Your E-Book Reader doesn't support Barnes and Noble PDB format. I understand there are many PDB Formats, so I called Barnes and Noble to ask what format they are using so that I can convert them to a compatible format that would work with your E-Reader and do you know what the son of a ***** told me??? He told me the format is a proprietary format that B&N is using and that the information is classified. He told me that this is so that you have to use the E-Reader that B&N has in order to read the books. I told him it wouldn't work with the PRE and he was unsympathetic.

If you have any information as to what format their PDB files are or a good universal converter that will do the job...let me know. I am disgusted with Barnes and Noble and if I find out what format they use you better be sure I will leak that **** out all over the web...

I would like to try your E-Reader, but I have no E-Books to use with it. If you know of any sites for free E-Books, let me know. I would like to try the program out before I buy a book. This is the first time I have ever considered using an E-Reader

---Jason S
    I have noticed it takes a while to switch files when when you hit the end of one when reading a book. I just had to close the program and reopen it then click the arrow to change file to the next. Maybe have the program start loading the next file when you are near the end of a file?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkheart777 View Post
    Your E-Book Reader doesn't support Barnes and Noble PDB format. I understand there are many PDB Formats, so I called Barnes and Noble to ask what format they are using so that I can convert them to a compatible format that would work with your E-Reader and do you know what the son of a ***** told me??? He told me the format is a proprietary format that B&N is using and that the information is classified. He told me that this is so that you have to use the E-Reader that B&N has in order to read the books. I told him it wouldn't work with the PRE and he was unsympathetic.
    That's terrible. Absolutely absurd, and I'm sorry. They are not alone, though. iSilo has the same policies, among other formats. Even Mobipocket's PRC was supposed to be proprietary, I believe, but someone hacked it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkheart777 View Post
    I would like to try your E-Reader, but I have no E-Books to use with it. If you know of any sites for free E-Books, let me know. I would like to try the program out before I buy a book. This is the first time I have ever considered using an E-Reader
    Main Page - Gutenberg
    Baen Free Library

Quote Originally Posted by HagerDeath1 View Post
    I have noticed it takes a while to switch files when when you hit the end of one when reading a book. I just had to close the program and reopen it then click the arrow to change file to the next. Maybe have the program start loading the next file when you are near the end of a file?
    A) It should only take more than a second or two if the next file needs reformatting (i.e. if you have changed format preferences since last loading the file).

B) It does TRY to pre-format the file when you get to the end. What method are you using to navigate the book (autoscroll, page flicking, manual scrolling, etc.)?
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    A) It should only take more than a second or two if the next file needs reformatting (i.e. if you have changed format preferences since last loading the file).

B) It does TRY to pre-format the file when you get to the end. What method are you using to navigate the book (autoscroll, page flicking, manual scrolling, etc.)?
    I have been using page flicking, and am on my first book using this version. Between file 1 and 2 it took at least 20 seconds for the files to switch, and this bigger problem that I couldnt even get it to swap was between file 2 and 3. Also I hadnt changed formatting since changing it at the beginning of file 1, that might have been the cause of the first delay.

Also I noticed on older versions when you closed the app and reopened it, it would open to the page you closed it at, now it opens to the library, is this how its supposed to be now?
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by HagerDeath1 View Post
    I have been using page flicking, and am on my first book using this version. Between file 1 and 2 it took at least 20 seconds for the files to switch, and this bigger problem that I couldnt even get it to swap was between file 2 and 3. Also I hadnt changed formatting since changing it at the beginning of file 1, that might have been the cause of the first delay.

Also I noticed on older versions when you closed the app and reopened it, it would open to the page you closed it at, now it opens to the library, is this how its supposed to be now?
    First of all, if you changed the formatting preferences, each file has to be reformatted, and the app waits until you are about to view the file, rather than making you wait to do all the files at once (there is no capacity in webOS to do things in the background).

Second, there is a preference for deciding what to do when opening the app. It defaults to the library, but can be set to opening the last book you were reading.

It is possible that the app was not finished downloading all the files when you tried to switch, though this does not seem likely. If you notice a problem again, see if the percentage read button (top bar near the right) says a percentage or "DL". The latter indicates the file is still downloading, and I admit I need to do a better job of handling problematic actions when that is the case.
    downloaded 1635 - tangled web as a mobi from Baen.
    Cross loaded onto the pre

Selected it in reader
    It uploaded to cloud

Process ran for over an hour

Never completed.

Ooops.

Rick
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast