Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Could either of you send me an example of a problem book to so I can fix the issue?
    Sent and thanks
    Just brought Popelli as I have really enjoyed it. I also brought an ePub on sony and it converts it to a meaningless jumble of letters. Am I doing something different? I so much want to read my new book. Older ones seem fine but not this new one.
    Where do I get/download the Palm Reader App?
  4.    #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitenone View Post
    Just brought Popelli as I have really enjoyed it. I also brought an ePub on sony and it converts it to a meaningless jumble of letters. Am I doing something different? I so much want to read my new book. Older ones seem fine but not this new one.
    Sounds like the book is encrypted with Digital Rights Management (DRM), meaning it is restricted to certain readers, Popelli Reader not among them. We hope to add DRM soon, but there are a lot of legal ramifications to be considered. I'm sorry for that inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by kableland View Post
    Where do I get/download the Palm Reader App?
    If you are within the US, you can purchase it from the official App Catalog. If not, email support@popelli.com for options.
    You were right - DRM
    any pdf support? I have a lot of pdf format ebooks
    None of my books will finish converting. They are all under 2 megs and mostly .lit format. I can start reading them but as soon as I exit the book and try to re-open or convert another book I get the message saying the previous book hasn't finished converting. The progress bar moves to random points and just stops. I let the book 'finish' overnight and after 12 hours the progress bar doesn't move. I checked and none of the books I have are DRM.... Any ideas?
  8.    #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by haloedrain View Post
    I'm using version 0.2.12. I'm having trouble loading files from gutenberg.org. These files are fine in Adobe Digital Editions.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - Project Gutenberg
    In the epub version of this book, the second file that the app creates is from much later in the book. Also, the links don't work.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain - Project Gutenberg
    I cannot get the epub or mobi versions to load at all, and the html version only loads partially.
    I have corrected the first problem with the first book. The second problem (chapter links not working) requires a software update, so will be corrected as soon as I get an update into the app catalog.

As for the second book you mentioned - shall I assume you're trying to load the EPUB or MOBI books with images embedded? If so, it is most likely that your Palm device simply doesn't have enough memory to open those files. The help file says that 10MB is the maximum, but that is really not an accurate number. The maximum depends solely upon the amount of memory available on the device for the reader app.

Does the loader just sit there with no motion on the progress bar? Than this is likely the cause.
  9.    #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    any pdf support? I have a lot of pdf format ebooks
    Sorry, but no. PDF are just too different from HTML, which is the native format for webOS.

Quote Originally Posted by cantrben View Post
    None of my books will finish converting. They are all under 2 megs and mostly .lit format. I can start reading them but as soon as I exit the book and try to re-open or convert another book I get the message saying the previous book hasn't finished converting. The progress bar moves to random points and just stops. I let the book 'finish' overnight and after 12 hours the progress bar doesn't move. I checked and none of the books I have are DRM.... Any ideas?
    Not yet, but I may if I am able to take a look at one of the books. can you send one to sendbooks@popelli.com?
    this app is great i was looking for something like this but when i dl it and try to open the book i download nothing came on the screen heres the link if the book i download hopefully some one can make it work and can post it here.
    https://secure.lsm.org/RecVer/RecVerDownload.cfm
    its a bible well is the bible i read and i will like to have it on my pre =p
    thank you and have a nice day and God bless you
    Last edited by Monitoman; 12/15/2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: adding
  11.    #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by Monitoman View Post
    this app is great i was looking for something like this but when i dl it and try to open the book i download nothing came on the screen heres the link if the book i download hopefully some one can make it work and can post it here.
    https://secure.lsm.org/RecVer/RecVerDownload.cfm
    its a bible well is the bible i read and i will like to have it on my pre =p
    thank you and have a nice day and God bless you
    I'm very sorry, but that book is in iSilo format, which is not supported by Popelli Reader. Files with the extension PDB are only supported if they are PalmDoc format.
    oh man i was thinking that it will be able cause they have a version for the iphone so my guees was that it will be similar for the pre
    hi author will this software will support .pdb ebooks in future ?
    If it does , it will be the perfect ebooks reader in palm pre .

Thanks
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I've seen a few questions on this thread about excess white space between paragraphs, but the only reply I found is "that's how <p> is supposed to work in HTML." Well, that is NOT how <br> is supposed to work, so I went through a couple of books that I had converted to HTML myself using ABC Amber, and replaced most of the paragraph tags with break tags followed by 4 non-breaking space tags leading the next line so that paragraphs *should* be identified by leading indentation rather than huge white spaces. My leading indentation does work, but the <br> tags all still result in a full-line gap between "paragraphs." Why does this happen, and is there anything else I can do to my HTML files to correct it?

Thanks,
    David
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcjacky View Post
    hi author will this software will support .pdb ebooks in future ?
    If it does , it will be the perfect ebooks reader in palm pre .

Thanks
    PalmDoc books (which have extension PDB) are currently supported. Most other PDB formats are proprietary and cannot, at this time, be read outside their native readers (such as iSilo or Plucker).

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    I've seen a few questions on this thread about excess white space between paragraphs, but the only reply I found is "that's how <p> is supposed to work in HTML." Well, that is NOT how <br> is supposed to work, so I went through a couple of books that I had converted to HTML myself using ABC Amber, and replaced most of the paragraph tags with break tags followed by 4 non-breaking space tags leading the next line so that paragraphs *should* be identified by leading indentation rather than huge white spaces. My leading indentation does work, but the <br> tags all still result in a full-line gap between "paragraphs." Why does this happen, and is there anything else I can do to my HTML files to correct it?
    I am working on the spacing issue as we speak. I even think this time I may have it beat I know it's been a long time coming, but that's just because everytime I try something, it just seems to make it worse.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.

And thanks for the great app! I was happy to pay for it when it went from homebrew to official...
    Or if it's even possible??

I had the pleasure of conversing with the creator (via email, of course) a couple years ago....when he first came out with this reader... Since then, I've been attached to the pReader app....which has many functions I wouldn't have expected from a free app.

Anyway...because I was one of the first people to help pass the word around about Popelli, when I had to get a new phone....and my app didn't work with the new phone (I assumed it was because it wasn't a free app any longer) I was pleased to find that the creator (after complaining about it) sent me a free copy of the new app...

Anywho....it's been years....and, although I'm completely satisfied with pReader, I like the idea of having 2 books open at the same time, plus, I wanted to purchase the new app since I only donated before....

However, it appears that nobody is using this any longer since the last entry was in 2009!!!! ***??

What I need to know is....I have a bunch of books that I don't format that rigidly....because on the pReader, I can always change the Encoding (from Western/Latin to UTF-8, etc., etc....) and that's made the job of converting my files to readable ebooks very, very simple.

Now, thought, having just purchased the Popelli product, I am in complete shock that I cannot find a "change encoding" key...or anything similar. I mean...the Popelli Reader IS a beautiful product....but, I need to know if I am able to change Encoding at will....or will I now have to go through ALL THE TEDIOUS STEPS of making sure all grammar symbols will show up correctly on the Popelli Reader...instead of showing up as various ASCII characters which REALLY, REALLY bums me out.

Can anyone help me out here?? Much obliged!!

Couch
    what the app download?
    Is this not available for the Touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Verell View Post
    Is this not available for the Touchpad?
    There is a version of pReader available in the App Catalog, but it is an older version, based on the SDK & is slow at some operations.

A better choice is pReader native which is an updated, completely rewritten version using the native PDK. It is much faster than the older version. It can be installed through preware or by the link at the official support thread. In the first post you'll see a link to SourceForge - this takes you to the developer's repository. You'll see several files listed. Locate the pReader native one with the highest version number & tap on the link. Internalz or preware will open with the link filled in. Just tap the Install button and you'll be all set.

Please note that something in the 3.0.4 update broke something in pReader. The developer is aware of this & is working to discover what happened (very strange since it only happens on a real TouchPad with webOS 3.0.4 only - other versions on real TouchPads & any version on the emulator run without issue). Until this bug is squashed, you might want to hold off on installing pReader native. The support thread is the best place to go to keep updated on this. You'll also find jappus, the developer, is very involved & helpful there.

The official support thread for pReader native is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415