Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #241  
    Very strange that everyone had so many problems. I'm very sorry about that. Of course I would have preferred to not change the dang app name, but Palm insisted. And although I regret how that affected all of you, it did pay off in that they finally (after three months of trying) published the app in the catalog.

For those that are having problems (which seems to be most folks), I'd suggest uninstalling the app completely and purchasing from the catalog. The Homebrew version will go to a two-week trial tomorrow or the next day anyway.

Thank you all very much for all the assistance and suggestions you've provided. You've all helped to make this a much better app.
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    What about those of us outside the US that can't purchase the app?

I would buy it, if I could.
    I downloaded from the "App Store" and I have not been able to download any Mobipocket books to my Pre.
    Where do I find the PID number???
  4.    #244  
    Popelli Reader does not support DRM encrypted books.
    I have been having alot of problems with this app since downloading it from the App Catalog. The problem is in the re-formatting of Mobipocket files. (I don't have any others types to try). The first book I tried to read came back from formatting absolutely blank and the next one I tried came back in what looks like part english and part giberish. I thought about trying text or html files but I don't know where to buy them. I was so looking forward to this app and I hope someone can help me figure this thing out.
  6.    #246  
    Are the books you are trying to load encrypted with Digital Rights Management (DRM)? If you purchased them from amazon.com or mobipocket.com (or most other retail sites, for that matter), then they are encrypted and cannot be opened with Popelli Reader.
    Where does one go to get files that aren't encrypted?
    Just bought the app store version! Happy to support development of a program I use every day.

App catalog version installed without incident, and imported my current book (HTML, about 900k) without problem. A 2MB HTML test file has been chugging for about 10 minutes and isn't loading (yet); previous versions had trouble with this file too.

White space between paragraphs still feels too big and wasteful of screen real estate. It's worst for files that use a paragraph tag between paragraphs to provide space (maybe not proper, but VERY commonly done). But even for files that just terminate with a paragraph tag then immediately start the next paragraph the resulting white space seems unnaturally tall.

People have commented in the two forum threads about excessive white space since the earliest release. It'd be nice if Popelli Reader could:

1. Tighten up the style so that after a paragraph tag, the white space had only the height of a single line of text.

2. Offer the option upon import to eliminate paragraph tags that come immediately after a paragraph tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by amys_r View Post
    Where does one go to get files that aren't encrypted?
    I know very little about this, but check out --

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Calibre is a "free and open source e-book library management application".

HTH
    Addendum to my discussion about white space. Just loaded a TEXT file (as opposed to HTML file) that I had edited to strip blank lines between paragraphs, and it renders quite tight - carriage return/line feed pairs act exactly like you'd expect - just moves to the next line without leaving any white space. This is actually how I'd prefer the program to work, relying on an extra cr/lf to open white space. That's how Project Gutenberg files (and many others) are formatted.

So how is rendering of HTML paragraph tags different from handling a cr/lf in a text file? Maybe I just need to understand how you handle these two cases, and edit my HTML files accordingly to render the way I'd like to see (substitute BR tags?).

I'm reading an HTML file right now marked up like this:

Code:
    Blah blah, blah blah blah <p>
    Yada yada yada yada yada<p>
    asdk asdk asdk asdk<p>
    Upon rendering, after each paragraph tag, I get white space that looks like two blank lines of text:

Code:
    Blah blah, blah blah blah

Yada yada yada yada yada

asdk asdk asdk asdk
    ...which both wastes screen height and just visually breaks up the text so that it looks less like a new paragraph and more like a big space indicating that the author's changing the scene or something.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 12/08/2009 at 09:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Addendum to my discussion about white space. Just loaded a TEXT file (as opposed to HTML file) that I had edited to strip blank lines between paragraphs, and it renders quite tight - carriage return/line feed pairs act exactly like you'd expect - just moves to the next line without leaving any white space. This is actually how I'd prefer the program to work, relying on an extra cr/lf to open white space. That's how Project Gutenberg files (and many others) are formatted.

So how is rendering of HTML paragraph tags different from handling a cr/lf in a text file? Maybe I just need to understand how you handle these two cases, and edit my HTML files accordingly to render the way I'd like to see (substitute BR tags?).

I'm reading an HTML file right now marked up like this:

Code:
    Blah blah, blah blah blah <p>
    Yada yada yada yada yada<p>
    asdk asdk asdk asdk<p>
    Upon rendering, after each paragraph tag, I get white space that looks like two blank lines of text:

Code:
    Blah blah, blah blah blah

Yada yada yada yada yada

asdk asdk asdk asdk
    ...which both wastes screen height and just visually breaks up the text so that it looks less like a new paragraph and more like a big space indicating that the author's changing the scene or something.
    That's what it's supposed to do. The paragraph tag by its nature inserts whitespace before and after the text - http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_p.asp. A cr or lf as you're thinking of it is the br tag.

It also appears that using it without an accompanying closing tag as your example shows is not necessarily correct.

It sounds like your complaint should be with the authors/editors of the files you're using, not with the program, which appears to be doing the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    That's what it's supposed to do. The paragraph tag by its nature inserts whitespace before and after the text - HTML p tag. A cr or lf as you're thinking of it is the br tag.

It also appears that using it without an accompanying closing tag as your example shows is not necessarily correct.

It sounds like your complaint should be with the authors/editors of the files you're using, not with the program, which appears to be doing the right thing.

Thanks for that link explaining exactly how <p> should act.

I can blame no one but myself for the markup. The particular file started as a MS Word HTML file that wouldn't open in Popelli Reader. Word does incredibly verbose markup, and I was able to load the file by basically stripping out almost all the markup to just make the job easier for the app, only preserving paragraph boundaries, italics, boldface and underline.

Because the opening p tags in the original document had many different qualifiers, it was easiest to just strip them, preserving paragraph boundaries by converting the closing p tags to open p tags. I'm obviously not a web developer and was under the (perhaps mistaken?) impression that while not strictly correct, just using an open p tag was legal and fairly common. FWIW, the file renders in Firefox and IE6 with much less white space between paragraphs than Popelli Reader puts.

Edit:
    Just hammered on the file to properly open and close each paragraph, and there was no apparent change in the white space that Popelli Reader inserted between each paragraph. After rendering, there appear to be two blank lines between each paragraph, with markup that looks like this:
    Code:
    <p>Blah blah, blah blah blah </p>
    <p>Yada yada yada yada yada</p>
    <p>asdk asdk asdk asdk</p>
    Last edited by dwhitman; 12/08/2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Just downloaded, happy to pay for such a great app!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I tried converting an unencrypted .lit today and received the following error message:

Warningreg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier 'p' in /home/jonvance/public_html/popelli/include/chop.php on line 90
  15.    #255  
    Try it again now
    Did get a chance to say congrats to being added to the the App Catalog. So Congrats!

I know I asked this question once before but I just wanted to confirm for those that have previously donated will we need to do anything special if we go through the App Catalog for updates?
  17.    #257  
    It's a good question, and one I've been pondering. I think if I send all my donators a free copy of the app catalog version and they install it manually, then they SHOULD be able to get updates from the catalog for free. I'm going to try that, anyway, right now.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vance6842 View Post
    Try it again now
    Works! Thx
    It doesn't want to install. I get md5sum mismatch and figured the file got corrupted, so I downloaded 3 more times and got the same error. Preware downloads & installs other apps just fine. Am using Preware v0.9.12, webOS v1.2.1, & downloading Popelli v0.2.11. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BJB-Treo View Post
    It doesn't want to install. I get md5sum mismatch and figured the file got corrupted, so I downloaded 3 more times and got the same error. Preware downloads & installs other apps just fine. Am using Preware v0.9.12, webOS v1.2.1, & downloading Popelli v0.2.11. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I also get the same problem using webOS 1.3.1, Preware 0.9.12, Popelli 0.2.11.