Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    After upgrading to 0.2.8, every time I try to open a new book, Palm Reader tries to load the last book I was reading. However it never loads. The message I get is "A previous book Tempted has not finished converting. It must be completed before you can begin converting another book. Finishing now." Nothing ever loads in the loading bar and the book never opens. If I go to the manage bookmarks section I can use the bookmarks there to get into the previous booked "Tempted" and read all I want. However I am not able to add any new books. Any help would be appreciated???
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    First, what a great app, and FINALLY! I'll be heading over to the donate page shortly to show my appreciation!

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a fluke, so I'm posting it just in case:

I copied a book in .lit format and opened it in Palm Reader and all seems well, including the embedded bookmarks, etc. However, the resulting parsed ebook goes from Prologue directly to chapter 2, skipping chapter one altogether.

I ran the same .lit file through Convert Lit and chapter one is there.

I mainly use Mobipocket format and those have had no issues, but this particular book seems to exist in .lit format only.

Anyway, I'm just mentioning it in case it's a parsing error in the app based on it having a Prologue and then chapters 1++

Thanks again for such a great app!
    I finally had a chance to test out adding in a table of contents. The <h ref> tags are working now. Thank you for adding that functionality!

I don't know if it's possible to do, but one thing that would be really great to have is the ability to choose a name for your bookmark. Getting a list of bookmarks that shows at what percent of the book it's been placed is ok, but if you could label it with something meaningful, that would be so much better.

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I noticed that preader now has the ability to use our DRM library by entering our name and code to open ereader.com pdb books. Is this on your to do list for palm reader?
    The dev already posted that it's on the list, but pretty far down the line, for various reasons that you can read in the rest of the thread (or maybe in the old one) if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddocks View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or a fluke, so I'm posting it just in case:

I copied a book in .lit format and opened it in Palm Reader and all seems well, including the embedded bookmarks, etc. However, the resulting parsed ebook goes from Prologue directly to chapter 2, skipping chapter one altogether.

I mainly use Mobipocket format and those have had no issues, but this particular book seems to exist in .lit format only.

Anyway, I'm just mentioning it in case it's a parsing error in the app based on it having a Prologue and then chapters 1++
    If this helps, the .lit files that I have been trying to load into Palm Reader also have a prologue. I will send the file when my computer is back up and running, I just moved this month
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lensutton View Post
    After upgrading to 0.2.8, every time I try to open a new book, Palm Reader tries to load the last book I was reading. However it never loads. The message I get is "A previous book Tempted has not finished converting. It must be completed before you can begin converting another book. Finishing now." Nothing ever loads in the loading bar and the book never opens. If I go to the manage bookmarks section I can use the bookmarks there to get into the previous booked "Tempted" and read all I want. However I am not able to add any new books. Any help would be appreciated???
    I have had this happen a few times, although it may be for a different reason than yours. I think it started because the first time I ran the new version, the book had not finished formatting before I backed out of it.

Deleting, than reinstalling the program helped me with this and another bug that I encountered.
    I've been happily using Palm Reader for some time, but since the latest version came out, I am unable to open any non-DRM Mobipocket titles I have on my Pre. (I know they're not DRM'ed, because one is my own e-book I published in MOBI format.) When I search, find and click to open them, the loading goes about 2/3 of the way and an error box pops up saying,

There was a problem converting the eBook. Either the format is not supported, the book is encrypted with Digital Rights Management (DRM) or the file is corrupt. For assistance, please contact technical support.
    I have uninstalled/reinstalled Palm Reader a few times, and disabled all of my patches in case one was conflicting, without success. The only other thing that has changed since I last opened some of these books successfully in Palm Reader is that I had to do a webOS Doctor restore, although the USB drive was seemingly untouched.

I *really* like Palm Reader, and would like to continue using it. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I am having the same problem with the error message in opening an open Mobibook title. I had the same problem even with the earlier version, so thought it was a corrupt file, but it even happens in the same file and version I read just this am. So I am not sure what is happening here... except it has something to do with going through servers for Palm Reader, so I wonder if there is a problem there?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I had the same issue, and what I had to do is clear the database of loaded books. Yeah it sucks for bookmarks, but really its not all that difficult and I doubt many people read more than 3 ebooks at a time.

Thanks again for this App.

It's saved me from so much down time. Any word on when it's getting into the app catalog?
  11.    #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordy.e View Post
    I think I may have a better grasp as to what PalmReader is doing than I did on my first post. There are 2 issues that I am experiencing. The first issue is when I load the book, depending, it appears, on how taxed my pre is at that moment, it may or may not finish loading by the time the screen shuts off (I've had it at 1 minute). When I unlock the screen, I notice that the download bar has hung, and after leaving it for a good 15 minutes, it still hasn't moved.

If I manage to keep the screen from locking, I switched the time on screen shutdown to 3 minutes to test this, the download bar completes, but then the book appears to be continuing to be loading afterwards, but I am not seeing any change in status at all. I can see FILE 1 and D/L in the top, and on the bottom besides the bookmark etc. commands, I see 1/1 in the bottom where the page numbers are. After leaving it for a few hours, there was no change in either my ability to go to a different file, or the number of pages in the file. The amount of time needed to load this appears to be a little excessive. Is it possible that when the screen is shutting down that something is interfering with the transfer? If it helps, I was trying out the SmartReflex patch, and thought that may be interfering with the CPU when my pre went idle, and after removal, it didnt change things
    Even a large book should be fully loaded within a few minutes on a good WiFi, or seven minutes or so on radio. Additionally, files are downloaded in order, so after just a few seconds you should be able to progress to the second file. If this is not the case (and please, try once more as some things have changed), please send me a copy of the book to sendbooks@popelli.com and I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweety81 View Post
    mhh ok i have to wait. Is the paid app utf8 compatible? Will be the app aviable at other AppCatalogs outside the USA?
    Yes to both, eventually. I don't know exactly when, though.

Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    Is there any update on the ability for this program to open DRM books from EReader? All my books are protected and without this ability, I can't use it....Ereader doesn't seem to be in any hurry to give us a program, so if a 3rd party could do that I would definitely pay for it!
    No update, still planned but not attempted.

Quote Originally Posted by lensutton View Post
    Very sorry about that. I'm not sure what may be happening, but I'm fairly confident that you can work around that problem by deleting the book Tempted. If the problem occurs again when you reload Tempted, please send me a copy so I can have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by maddocks View Post

Try it again - I've made some changes that could fix that problem. If not, by all means send me a copy and I'll make it work (if at all possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I don't know if it's possible to do, but one thing that would be really great to have is the ability to choose a name for your bookmark. Getting a list of bookmarks that shows at what percent of the book it's been placed is ok, but if you could label it with something meaningful, that would be so much better.

Thanks again!
    I'll put that on my list of nifty features to add Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rtlsnke View Post
    I noticed that preader now has the ability to use our DRM library by entering our name and code to open ereader.com pdb books. Is this on your to do list for palm reader?
    Yes, it's on the list, but for us it's not quite as simple as something being POSSIBLE, it has to be LEGAL since we'll be selling the app publicly. It's something we'll be looking into once the app is published and sold for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I've been happily using Palm Reader for some time, but since the latest version came out, I am unable to open any non-DRM Mobipocket titles I have on my Pre. (I know they're not DRM'ed, because one is my own e-book I published in MOBI format.) When I search, find and click to open them, the loading goes about 2/3 of the way and an error box pops up
    Try again - I've fixed a few server-side problems that should, hopefully, resolve that for you.
    There is one thing that people may want to note, that I discovered this morning, that the preware patch "3000 Autoreplace words" appears to interfere with the palm reader's ability to load .lit files. I had posted a few times trying to figure out why my .lit files were not loading anymore after I updated, and after removing all my patches, I was able to load the .lit files, but after installing all the patches I had on they didn't load. I then thought I'd uninstall the "3000 autoreplace words" patch and it allowed me to load the files once again. I would suggest removing the patch if you are having peoblems loading new books, as it worked for me
  13.    #193  
    I'm posting an update (0.2.10) that addresses a few minor bugs and interface issues. It's not urgent.
    Hi-

I have a new problem with the PalmReader- prior to loading the newest version and after loading.

I added more .prc books to allow the reader to convert the files for me.

For two books it downloads, but it doesn't actually download anything. I get the File 1 but it only displays 1/1 page and displays the 0% not the D/L telling me the book is still downloading. I will send you one of the books to review.

Thanks-

Ouuuaaauuuu!!!

It's looks like the great reading app that I was looking for long time ago...

CONGRATULATIONS

Only one litle thing with accent languages like mine (spanish) What about special characters like " " and capitals " "? what about special letters like " and "?

Please fix this strange behavior... I will be very happy.

Thank you so much and regards!

P.S: Excuse me my poor English, I am spanish (from Spain, ESPAA-EUROPA).
    I think you are doing a great job with this reader. I especially like where you are going with being able to look up words.
    I have been reading Ebooks on my palm since I got a PalmVx in 1999, a reader is a vital app.

A couple points of feedback.

1. This app does not hold my place in the book very well at all. Almost every time I open or close the software, or switch to another app it looses my place.I have to scroll around to find where I last was. DRIVES ME CRAZY

2. I don't like how the text lines on the bottom and top are usually cut in half. clean page breaks are my preference.

3. memory leaks. I think this application has them. I am not even sure if that is the right term for the problem but I notice that if I have been doing some reading for some time and then switch to another app. The next app and the phone in general will be much more sluggish. Even if I close the reader all the way, its impact on the system seems to linger until I do a reboot of the phone.

Keep up the good work though, like I said, I like where you are going with the application.
    When I switch to full-screen mode (or back), the reader jumps to the beginning of the current file / chapter. The obvious answer is to not switch, right? But my old fat fingers sometimes pause too long on a flick - and instead of a flick, I wind up having to rescroll through perhaps 10s of pages.

Is there a way to make this not happen? Am I missing a setting somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    1. This app does not hold my place in the book very well at all. Almost every time I open or close the software, or switch to another app it looses my place.I have to scroll around to find where I last was.
    I'm also having issues with this, especially since the most recent update.

2. I don't like how the text lines on the bottom and top are usually cut in half. clean page breaks are my preference.
    Mitch, Vance has said previously that he's aware of this issue but that it's much harder to fix than you might think. I've found that if I go forward a page and then backwards a page, it doesn't back up as much as it jumped forward and it usually aligns what I'm reading almost perfectly. Sometimes I have to do this twice, and a tiny bit is sometimes still cut off, but it's not half the line anymore. YMMV.

3. memory leaks. I think this application has them. I am not even sure if that is the right term for the problem but I notice that if I have been doing some reading for some time and then switch to another app. The next app and the phone in general will be much more sluggish. Even if I close the reader all the way, its impact on the system seems to linger until I do a reboot of the phone.
    This one is a real issue and needs to be fixed so much more than the cosmetic issue of point #2. I've been having a lot of issues with Palm Reader for a while now. The problem is that it used to come and go, and I wasn't able to say "when I do x, Palm Reader locks up". But it's been happening more and more lately -- I can't recall exactly when it got worse, but I'm pretty sure it was after I updated to 0.2.8, and I'm on 0.2.10 now -- so I thought I'd do some testing and see if I can't give you some data to work with. The problem I've been having is that Palm Reader seems to grab hold of system resources and won't let go, making things seem like they've locked up. When you have Palm Reader open, if you minimize it to card view and switch to another application, it takes a good 40-50 seconds (yes, I timed it) before Palm Reader actually lets go and the other application can be used. Let me explain - when Palm Reader is open, it says "Palm Reader" in the upper left corner. When you minimize to card view, that changes to "Sprint". When you switch to your other application, it still says "Sprint" instead of the new app name, and no swiping on the screen will pull down any menus or let you scroll anything in your other application for almost a whole minute. After it unfreezes, it will finally say the name of your other application in the upper left corner. This is how you know that your Pre is unfrozen. Also, you're only able to switch to an application that you already have open. You can swipe up to get a launcher page, but swiping left or right to go to other pages does nothing, and tapping on an icon to open an app does nothing. At least, not at first. Then all of a sudden, everything that you've been trying to do while you think your Pre was frozen happens all at once. Sometimes, it freezes up for even longer. I've left it for several minutes a few times before giving up. You are able to swipe Palm Reader off the top of the screen, although even here it freezes up, with the app showing half on and half off of the screen. Eventually, it will fly off the top of the screen and close completely, but you still have to wait a minute for other apps to start working again. This is why I say it seems like Palm Reader grabs hold of the system and won't let go.

I recently downloaded a program called Jstop, which is an application for monitoring WebOS application memory and cpu usage. Basically, it shows a list of nodes and handles. According to the wiki for Jstop: Nodes refers to the number of DOM nodes an application has, roughly equal to it's memory usage on the phone. Open Service Handles are the number of services the application is waiting on to return.

When I first start up Palm Reader, Jstop shows it using 4861 nodes. The next highest is the launcher at 484. After reading for just a few minutes, that jumps to 9562. After another five minutes, it jumps to 14263. The highest I've seen it get is 23640. The launcher number, meanwhile, remains 484. (By the way, the handles are always 0.) I don't actually know what any of this means , but it just doesn't sound right.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining. Despite these issues, I love this program, and I'm so happy that someone is working on making an excellent ebook program. I hope what I've described here helps you to pinpoint whatever is causing these issues. Thanks again for all your efforts!

-- Alisa
  19.    #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon219 View Post
    For two books it downloads, but it doesn't actually download anything. I get the File 1 but it only displays 1/1 page and displays the 0% not the D/L telling me the book is still downloading. I will send you one of the books to review.
    I'll need to take a look at the books in question, and I'm afraid I did not receive any from you. Did you send?

Quote Originally Posted by pokesoft View Post
    Only one litle thing with accent languages like mine (spanish) What about special characters like " " and capitals " "? what about special letters like " and "?
    Unfortunately, the reader is English only for now. I will work on international support as soon as I can.

1. This app does not hold my place in the book very well at all. Almost every time I open or close the software, or switch to another app it looses my place.I have to scroll around to find where I last was. DRIVES ME CRAZY
    Depends on the book. It is incredible how limiting WebOS is with stuff like this, and I've tried three different methods of storing position, all with tradeoffs and annoyances. The next update will have what I hope to be the last iteration, and it will work as well as anything probably can.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro77 View Post
    When I switch to full-screen mode (or back), the reader jumps to the beginning of the current file / chapter. The obvious answer is to not switch, right? But my old fat fingers sometimes pause too long on a flick - and instead of a flick, I wind up having to rescroll through perhaps 10s of pages.
    I'll post an update within the next few hours, and hopefully that will resolve, your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This one is a real issue and needs to be fixed so much more ... <snip>
    Astounding investigative work! Thank you so much. Indeed there seems to be a leak of sorts, and your assistance helped me track it down much faster than I would have been able to alone. The update coming today fixes it, I believe.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    ignore
    Last edited by duo31; 12/04/2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: forgot to check date of post.