View Poll Results: How often do you use the expiry feature for your passwords?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

0 0%
  • Frequently

0 0%
  • Rarely

2 33.33%
  • Never

4 66.67%
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Ok, been using SecuStore for a bit, testing the imports.

One thing I found was that Notes aren't imported if they have double quotes or commas (the default export for Passwords Plus! includes doublequotes around all notes). I had to strip those away too.

Sync with desktop (Mac) seems to work well, though my templates were screwed up after a few syncs (probably due to many duplicates locally, due to the test imports).

The desktop still needs alot of work, but the phone app is great. Very fast. My big issue with the handheld app so far is the import interface (which really should be on the desktop anyway) - the import option is only open if you aren't in a set, and when you are given a file dialog, it loads very slowly - if you are too fast, and try to scroll, it selects the file instead - the trick is to wait 10 or 15 seconds before flicking to scroll. The file names are truncated, so they are hard to read, until you select one. Once selected, you see the full name, but no data, so you have to guess which field is a password or note. When you check the password or note button, instead of showing a new option under the checkbox to specify the field number for a note or password, the new field appears near the top.

I really enjoy the application so far, and once the import issues are fixed (probably the most important features for potential new users migrating from other tools), this should be a solid solution.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  2.    #282  
    Thanks, k1, we appreciate the feedback!
    Does secustore support exports? I am fearful I just locked myself in... I don't mean backups, but some way to export csv or xml or something...
  4.    #284  
    It doesn't yet, but it will in the future.
    I need a little help here:
    I started out with the Beta version 9.12 on my Pre and was able to add a considerable amount of sets and items within the sets. Now that the Beta has expired and I'm unable to add sets or items, I went ahead and bought the full version.
    I assumed that by installing the full version, it would either replace the Beta on my Pre or the info. in the Beta would migrate into the full version. Apparently not the case. I don't see a utility that allows me to sync the info from the Beta into the full either.
    So I decided to try the desktop. After installing that and messing around with it, I figured that I'd rebuild my entire account from my desktop and sync to the Pre app. That took me several hours. But now I've had no luck getting the Pre to sync with the desktop. I've tried opening up port 5555, turning off firewall, etc. but can't get the Pre to find the desktop app. for the life of me.
    Is there a way to sync the desktop data with the Palm via USB?
    Is there a way to save the desktop data in a file & export it to the Pre?
    For now, all the time that I've spent setting up my account on the desktop app. has been for naught until I can get it onto my Pre.
    Any help with this would be appreciated.
  6.    #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by jptl View Post
    I need a little help here:
    I started out with the Beta version 9.12 on my Pre and was able to add a considerable amount of sets and items within the sets. Now that the Beta has expired and I'm unable to add sets or items, I went ahead and bought the full version.
    I assumed that by installing the full version, it would either replace the Beta on my Pre or the info. in the Beta would migrate into the full version. Apparently not the case. I don't see a utility that allows me to sync the info from the Beta into the full either.
    So I decided to try the desktop. After installing that and messing around with it, I figured that I'd rebuild my entire account from my desktop and sync to the Pre app. That took me several hours. But now I've had no luck getting the Pre to sync with the desktop. I've tried opening up port 5555, turning off firewall, etc. but can't get the Pre to find the desktop app. for the life of me.
    Is there a way to sync the desktop data with the Palm via USB?
    Is there a way to save the desktop data in a file & export it to the Pre?
    For now, all the time that I've spent setting up my account on the desktop app. has been for naught until I can get it onto my Pre.
    Any help with this would be appreciated.
    You should be able to import backups done with the old 0.9.x beta version into the full version. Details on how to create and restore backups can be found in the manual.

As for the synchronization: Connections over WiFi are a somewhat error prone business and its hard to make a dianose without more information. We've had many reports from people who could'nt get it to work and after a few tries it suddenly worked. For now try the backup solution. The 0.9.x releases date back quite far so I cant garantee anything but I'm pretty sure the current version is downward compatible with old backups.
    Maggun,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    For the heck of it, I tried to sync again and it connected w/my desktop immediately. I hadn't made any changes to my firewall, network, etc. or restarted my computer..it just worked.
    Of course I had started the .jar app, but I also had the sync preferences open on the desktop as well. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I'm all set now. All my efforts spent setting up my account on the desktop app. have now transferred to my Pre.
  8.    #288  
    Good to hear that. Remember: if you like our app you can always leave a review in the app catalog
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm very curious about SecuStore. I am a long-time user of Palm OS on which I used eWallet, both on my
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm very curious about SecuStore. As a long-time Palm OS user, I'd used eWallet, both on my Treo (and other Palm devices) and desktop. Unfortunately, Illium has no interest in supporting loyal users who bought their products for many years.

Anyway, one feature of eWallet that I am still waiting for in a WebOS security application is synchronization between the app on the my Pre and a desktop application on my PC. I'm now looking into two that appear to have such a feature, Secret! and SecuStore.

While the SecuStore application looks very polished, the desktop component is as important to me as the WebOS app. I certainly hope that you'll continue to work on refining it. In the mean time, I had hoped to be able to test the sync feature but cannot get it to work. I guess perhaps the sync feature doesn't work in the Lite app?

There is one aspect of sync that I'm particularly interested in (and had hoped to test), sync with multiple devices. My wife and I both used Palm OS devices running eWallet and now each use WebOS devices. What we need is something that we can each use on our phones and on our PC. Obviously, we're not looking for the sync to run at the same time but as long as we run sync on our phones at different times I would assume that a password item one of us added on our phones would end up on the PC and then, when the other syncs, on the other phone. Same goes for items added on the PC... should be replicated to each phone when they sync. Should this work with SecuStore?

If it does work then I'd be glad to purchase the app for each of our phones. Plus, when the desktop app moved out of alpha/beta, would be glad to buy a copy of it.

At this point, your app looks the most promising at someday meeting our needs... thanks.
    @NateEaton Syncing with multiple devices works great with Secret! Just like SecuStore, Secret! only syncs over WiFi between a phone & computer on the same network. One nice thing about Secret! is that you can sync multiple phones AND PCs - my wife & I sync 2 phones, 1 Palm OS device, and 4 PCs.

A great thing about Secret! is that it has clients for every mobile OS and they can all sync together via PCs.

There is one key difference between Secret! and SecuStore. SecuStore is field based and Secret! is not. On SecuStore, each record has a field for each piece of data. Secret! is a free-form database - each record is essentially one long note. It gives you great flexibility, but is a little more difficult to copy data on the phone. This is mitigated a lot on OS 2.x with the new double-tap to select.

A key weakness with SecuStore currently is there's no way to import data to the desktop app. You CAN import to the phone app, but you usually have to diddle with the file in Excel to make it work. SecuStore seems to be pretty fussy about the file format.

I feel confident that SecuStore will eventually be an excellent, complete solution. Right now though, particularly on the desktop, SecuStore is lacking. Progress has been promised for a long time, but there haven't been any updates for quite some time. Of course the developer could release a monster update later today.

Right now, Secret! is the most complete and flexible solution available for webOS. If you need a solution now, buy Secret! If you are willing to wait and buy based on what MAY come, buy SecuStore and use what you can until updates become available.
  12.    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by NateEaton View Post
    There is one aspect of sync that I'm particularly interested in (and had hoped to test), sync with multiple devices. My wife and I both used Palm OS devices running eWallet and now each use WebOS devices. What we need is something that we can each use on our phones and on our PC. Obviously, we're not looking for the sync to run at the same time but as long as we run sync on our phones at different times I would assume that a password item one of us added on our phones would end up on the PC and then, when the other syncs, on the other phone. Same goes for items added on the PC... should be replicated to each phone when they sync. Should this work with SecuStore?
    This should work without problems. Even simultaniously.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    One thing that just occurred to me about sync... all the products that support it, including SecuStore, reply on WiFi. That means my wife's Palm Pixi (Sprint) wouldn't be able to sync with the desktop app. Does the import/export between the device app and desktop app work like sync or is it just an overlay of one with data from the other? Also, any chance of adding sync via a direct connection to a PC?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    @NateEaton The sync is a true sync. If you want USB syncing for a password manager, the only decent solution is Tealpoint's TealSafe. It's an OK product, but the interface is a bit un-webOSey. It's a PDK app so the interface is custom made and program generated instead of using Mojo standard gadgets. That's not really the fault of TealSafe, it's a limitation of PDK apps. Since it's a PDK app, you will have to have at least OS 1.4.5 on the devices running it.

I guess I should also clarify something from above. If you are wanting a phone only solution, SecuStore is among the best, if not the best. I have some issues with some elements being "toy-ish" and not appropriate for this type of product, but for sheer functionality, it's hard to beat.

If you need a phone / computer solution NOW, SecuStore has somelimitations and Secret! is probably the better choice for NOW. If / when the developer delivers all the promised functionality of SecuStore, that might change, but like I said before, you need to base purchasing decisions on what's available now instead of what's promised "someday". This isn't a knock against Maggun or anyone in particular. There have just been a lot of promises made in the mobile arena, and webOS developers particularly, that have not been met. In password management particularly, Splash Data has promised a desktop component for SplashID for over a year with nothing delivered. Several months ago they wrote me and said "2 weeks", but nothing yet.

There are no guarantees in any market. Get what you need today and re-examine things in the future as the situation changes if needed.
    Will Secustore continue to work with webOS 2.x and beyond? Will there be further development of the application? I really enjoy using it, but I'm worried that it may cease to work one day with the fragmentation that is going on right now within webOS.
  16.    #296  
    We'll continue to maintain the current version of SecuStore to ensure that it will remain compatible the coming 2.x releases. As for "beyond": Well, since all the stuff in the early access program is under NDA we cant really give you much information. Let me just tell you this: If you like the current version of SecuStore then we have a treat for you in store this summer...
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    on my pre- upgrade to webos2.1 secustore seems to work (i can open the files, passwords work, looking into data also), but i did not try to add item or sync. will this work also in this version 1.2.1?
  18.    #298  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    on my pre- upgrade to webos2.1 secustore seems to work (i can open the files, passwords work, looking into data also), but i did not try to add item or sync. will this work also in this version 1.2.1?
    Yes, SecuStore 1.2.1 is fully compatible with webOS 2.1.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggun View Post
    We'll continue to maintain the current version of SecuStore to ensure that it will remain compatible the coming 2.x releases. As for "beyond": Well, since all the stuff in the early access program is under NDA we cant really give you much information. Let me just tell you this: If you like the current version of SecuStore then we have a treat for you in store this summer...
    Great news, Maggun! As you know, I'm a staunch supporter of SecuStore. One of the best apps on webOS! Glad to hear that there's still more to come.
    This is great news! I probably use SecuStore more than any non-Palm provided software on my Pre. I'm still looking at other options (need better import/export abilities), but this increases my confidence in the product.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.