View Poll Results: How often do you use the expiry feature for your passwords?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

0 0%
  • Frequently

0 0%
  • Rarely

2 33.33%
  • Never

4 66.67%
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggun View Post
    A. You can use the same password for multiple Sets. As discussed before in this forum a single master password isn't an option as it would be redundant and - again - would make things more complicated.

B. Did you return with the back gesture? You have to enter the combination twice - once for confirmation. If you entered the combination successfully the app will return to the preferences dialog automatically and the slider will be activated.

D. Tap the button in the middle of the bottom menu or select "use auto insert" from the menu at the bottom right corner. If the option doesnt exist you'll first have to check "use auto insert" in the Templates configuration.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Here's my take on them:

A) OK, but if the same password is used for all sets, do you have to enter it each time you open a set, or would it persist? If you have to enter it each time, explain how that's less complicated than a single master password, with password-free sets?

B) I enter the gesture twice successfully (for simplicity, 4 down-swipes), and the app does return to the previous screen, but the slider still says OFF. (If my gestures don't match I get an error & I stay on the gesture entry screen)

D) I see the option now in the bottom right menu, but it's not auto-inserting the login data for me. I just tried 2 site, one of which was Precentral
    I don't understand what the "file" template is for. I can create a file path but I can't create a file. It doesn't appear to protect any existing files. I am trying the lite version.

EDIT: oops - think I misunderstood what this program does. nevermind.
    Last edited by rjcchan; 10/15/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    I've been playing with the lite version and I really only have one issue. The password generator is pretty limiting. I don't know how you define "easy to type", but I think we have different definitions. The main thing is you really can't exercise any control over the result. It would be nice if you could select numbers, lower case letters, mixed case letters, and / or symbols so you could decide what combination to use. Being able to set the length would be good too.

For example, if I needed to create an ATM PIN, I could select numbers and 4 digits. If I neede to create a strong password, I could select all character types and 10 characters.

I guess I'm surprised that with the general flexibility & attention to detail in the rest of the app the password generator is so weak feature wise.
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I've been playing with the lite version and I really only have one issue. The password generator is pretty limiting. I don't know how you define "easy to type", but I think we have different definitions. The main thing is you really can't exercise any control over the result. It would be nice if you could select numbers, lower case letters, mixed case letters, and / or symbols so you could decide what combination to use. Being able to set the length would be good too.

For example, if I needed to create an ATM PIN, I could select numbers and 4 digits. If I neede to create a strong password, I could select all character types and 10 characters.

I guess I'm surprised that with the general flexibility & attention to detail in the rest of the app the password generator is so weak feature wise.
    Thats something we're working on. We're still trying to figure out how to implement a more featured password generator without cluttering the interface.

Btw, in our definition a password that is "easy to type" is a password that can be entered without using the sym key.
    Thats something we're working on. We're still trying to figure out how to implement a more featured password generator without cluttering the interface.

Btw, in our definition a password that is "easy to type" is a password that can be entered without using the sym key.
    That makes sense although for "easy to type" on phones often makes me wish shift & num keys were duplicated on the right side like a real keyboard

Are you open to suggestions for the pw generator? What I would do is remove the entire dice rolling display. It makes it look like a game & is innapropriate for this type of app. Sure it's some flashy eye candy and I'm sure your proud of the code, it just doesn't belong. Besides, it's a lie - 2 dice generate numbers from 2 - 12: are the letters & symbols being picked from the ether?

With that gone, you have plenty of room for pick boxes for numbers, lower case letters, upper case letters, symbols using option key, symbols using sym key, and a list picker for number of characters. Add a generate button and the whole password is generated in one pass instead of three characters at a time (which also made it impossible to generate those 4 digit pins without rolling twice or more to get 4 numbers somewhere then returning to the edit screen and going through the tedium of deleting the non-numerics).

Don't you think something like this would work? I'm sure you probably spent a lot of time creating the dice roller, but I don't think it's the best method for this implementation.
  6.    #246  
    The whole idea behind the dice thing was to generate the password from user input instead of just using the framework methods. So it's a little bit more than just eye candy. What youre saying is quite true though. I guess we won't get rid of the input interface but implement both.
    The whole idea behind the dice thing was to generate the password from user input.
    How does user input affect this? Does it matter what corner you flick to? Does the speed of flick / shake affect the result?

Personally, I'd want my input to consist of the parameters for the password & just keep hitting generate until I see a password I want. Remember, this is just MY opinion. What do others think.

On another password related issue there's another important feature I didn't see but, of course, I could have just missed. Does SS handle password aging? Several systems I'm on require a new password every x days. Would it be possible to have a field for password life with a list picker to enter the number of days? Then when SS starts you can get a notice that you need to change a list of passwords. From this list select a password to change, change it, return to menu and repeat. If you don't want to change a particular password right then, you can go into the main program, but the list will continue to appear on each launch until all are changed. Maybe more useful for the notice list would have it say it needs to change in 5 days, decrementing each day then after the "due date" change color to red and say 1 day ago, incrementing each day until changed. Is something like that possible?

Thanks for your time.
  8.    #248  
    The user input has an effect on the resulting password but I a fashion that makes it impossible to generate the same password twice on purpose.

For password expiration see "Settings" in the Set and Item view.
    I see the setting - thanks. I think the actual setting dialog could benefit by changing the title from "Settings for XXX" to "Expiration setting for XXX". Until you uncheck the never box, you really don't have any idea what the dialog is for. I followed the FAQ link to the manual & found you've already implemented this. Sorry, it's been a while since I read the manual. No excuse, should have checked there first before opening my mouth.

Thanks for all your help answering an *****'s questions.
    I've just been taking a look at the desktop product. I am trying to import a csv file. I select File / Import / from csv and select the file. A window comes up listing the data but there doesn't seem to be any kind of button to actually make the import occur. Just closing the window does nothing. I've selected use existing template (there aren't any) and create new template, but no "do it" button. I've tried just tabbing through the window to find a button but it just cycles through the fields on screen. I've made the window as large as the desktop thinking the button might be hidden but still nothing. How do you make the import actually import? Thanks

PS I'm trying to see how well it will import csv files from SplashID, jVault, and others - like I said, I've been burnt buying a lot of others.
  11.    #251  
    Sorry about that. The import feature has not been fully implemented in the desktop companion. The menu button was supposed to be deactivated. CSV-Import will be supported in one of the next releases.
    So there is no way to evaluate how well SecuStore (phone or desktop) performs an import and how much work it will be to clean up the data? I'm really not trying to be a smart alec, but for me, and I'm sure a lot of other users, who have used password solutions for years, not being able to evaluate such a key feature pretty much makes purchasing SecuStore a definite no.

I keep coming back to the idea of a full featured, time limited demo. You did it for the beta, is there some reason you feel you can not do it now?

I know me and my six friends & family members that are potential customers is small potatoes, but our 9 bucks apiece is going to go to the package with the most useful features that lets us fully evaluate key features. No more leaps of faith. Every developer says "we're the best solution". Why should we believe any developer that makes that claim any more?

I'm sorry for being so crabby about this, but we've blown a few hundred dollars now between us trying to find something that, at LEAST, works as well as SplashID Palm & Windows worked before. We're not afraid to spend money on good product - we paid for 4 versions of SplashID. We're just tired of spending for nothing.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmTC View Post
    A) OK, but if the same password is used for all sets, do you have to enter it each time you open a set, or would it persist? If you have to enter it each time, explain how that's less complicated than a single master password, with password-free sets?
    What was the answer on this one?
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmTC View Post
    What was the answer on this one?
    After you have unlocked a Set it stays unlocked until you either lock it manually or close the application. Unlocking one Set doesnt affect the others. So if you choose to only use a single Set its quite the same as if you had a single master password.

Using individual master passwords for all the Sets however doesn't make it more or less complicated than using a single master password. But I does make it a lot more secure. Imagine somebody found out one of your masterpasswords. Than only a part of your data is compromised. You can also categorize your data by importance and use stronger passwords for more sensitive data.

As to the question of the combination of a general and individual passwords: We have already discussed this: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2684904
    Last edited by Maggun; 10/19/2010 at 01:39 AM.
    I recently bought the Palm App and downloaded the PC version. I cannot get the two devices to sync at all. I cannot seem to create a connection. Any ideas?

Hi Guys,

SecuStore beta and the alpha release of the desktop companion have been released almost two weeks ago and we have hardly gotten any feedback at all. If you have tested the software please tell us about your experience:

1. Have you been able to install and run the desktop application successfully?

2. Have you encountered any problems or bugs in either the webOS app or the dektop companion?

3. Have you been able to create a connection between your device and the desktop app and synchronize your data?

Please, the more feedback we get the sooner we can publish the update for the full version.
    never mind. When I turned off my firewall, I was able to sync
  17.    #257  
    Great. Thanks for the feedback!
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I'm having trouble importing my old Passwords Plus database from my way old Palm. I've got my HUGE database sorted into separate files to eliminate the unused and junky fields since I can't edit each record to get those out. So I'm trying to import just one chunk in one file, but now I can't manage to even find the file! Whether I use DropBoxify and save to the phone or e-mail the file to my phone and save it, SecuStore can't see it, even though I know it's there after checking it via a USB Drive look from my computer. I also copied the file to my ClassicApps folder since I know SecuStore is listing a file in that folder. What am I doing wrong?
  19.    #259  
    The app will only display files with the ending .csv and .txt. Which kind of file are you trying to import?
    I just read through the entire thread and didn't see this addressed, if I missed it, my appology for the redundancy.

My wife and I would like to have a common database. We each have our own Palm Pre and we have our own work stations on a workgroup network. Can we point the desktop app on each PC to a common database or is there another way we can insure we both have the same data?

Thanks.