Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Question: given that eReader's DRM uses the purchaser's *credit card* number as the decoding key, can you clarify how and where the eReader DRM decoding is done in pReader, and what happens to that key after it's used? Thanks. {Jonathan}
    When you add the file to the library, the pReader checks the file's header to see whether it is DRM protected or not.

If it is, it asks you to enter your credentials. These credentials are then combined and a SHA-1 hash is generated from it. This hash is then used to decrypt the file and the file is added to the internal library. Since the credentials are not necessary after the initial hash generation, they are discarded [1].

The data you enter is at no point stored or sent anywhere. To be precise, the Library doesn't even contain the hash after all is done.

Since this program is GPLed (and the source can't be hidden on the Pre/Pixi anyway), you can examine it yourself. All the decryption happens in the files "src/pdb/PPrsReader.jsjsjs&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$src$/$pdb$/$PPrsRecord$.$js$&$quot$;. $The$ $SHA1$/$DES$ $algorithms$ $can$ $be$ $found$ $in$ &$quot$;$src$/$encryption$/$des$.$js$&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$src$/$encryption$/$sha1$.$js$&$quot$;. $The$ $credentials$ $dialog$ $can$ $be$ $found$ $in$ &$quot$;$app$/$assistants$/$CredentialsDialog$-$assistant$.$js$&$quot$;.

[1] - Since Javascript doesn't offer an explicit delete command, "discarded" means that the reference to the entered strings is dropped and thus made inaccessible to the pReader, and that it's up to the Garbage Collector to actually physically remove them from the main memory. But since someone would need to have an actual, physical low-level access to your device to retrieve that data from memory, that's not exactly a matter to lose sleep over. Because if you can do that you could just as well install a key-logger... :P
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/02/2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Just a tip for people who like to read in the dark. Download the Brightness Unlinked app which gives you a lower brightness level than possible with the standard screen gadget, plus lets the keyboard still light up. Then, set the background to Black and the text color to "Palm Default"...
  3.    #143  
    Hi everyone.

I just want to point out that I have identified the reason why certain UTF-8 files (for example in Korean or Chinese) don't render correctly. The culprit are the first three bytes of the file: The BOM mark, the "magic" byte sequence: "0xEFBBBF".

As soon as that sequence appears at the start of ANY file, the XmlHttpRequest truncates and butchers the file. If you delete those three bytes from the file, say, with a Hex Editor, the file is loaded correctly.

Since that just has to be a bug with the WebKit engine, I'll send a mail to Palm. If and when they fix it, the pReader should also be able to read those files. In the meantime, just delete those first three bytes since they mean nothing else than that the file is encoded in UTF-8.

Thanks to Znsoft for pointing out the fact that UTF-8/BOM files don't work.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Liking this app more and more. Thanks a lot! I keep bouncing between this and PalmReader. And use PReader mostly.
    Question:
    Is there any chance that support for displaying embedded cover art will happen?
    That's one feature I really like in PalmReader. I read a lot of old (and free) fiction and the pulp mag cover art is always great.
    Thanks again for a great app.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    This is great! I'd been missing eReader on my Pre, and didn't want to deal with Classic. Does it have the ability to display images? I have a couple of secure ebooks that included them.

Feature requests:

1. Improve speed. it's slow to change pages on my bigger DRM books.

Thank you so much for creating this!
    Last edited by alanh; 12/03/2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: fixed tyop, removed already implemented feature request
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
    Liking this app more and more. Thanks a lot! I keep bouncing between this and PalmReader. And use PReader mostly.
    Question:
    Is there any chance that support for displaying embedded cover art will happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    This is great! I'd been missing eReader on my Pre, and didn't want to deal with Classic. Does it have the ability to display images? I have a couple of secure ebooks that included them.
    At the moment, the pReader does not support images. But I do plan to include support for it in a (near) future version.

The next two big features that will be implemented are support for the MobiBook format and bookmarks & links (finally). After that, images are very, very high on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Feature requests:
    1. Improve speed. it's slow to change pages on my bigger DRM books.
    Mhhhm, that does surprise me. The speed of the page loading should be almost completely independent of the actual size of the book. I'll look into it and see what I can find and where I can cut off some bloat.

Just out of curiosity: How big are you "bigger" DRM books?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Great news on future embedded picture support!
    Also, I just was "discovering" all the new options in the preferences. I really like the "categories".
    But for any custom categories I have to type it in to the metadata for each book identically. Can custom categories automatically be added to the drop down selection list?
    Also, I noticed that when I edit the metadata and add the author, it isn't shown in the library view.
    Should it be?

This is fast becoming very full-featured, with more customization options than I ever thought of!
  8.    #148  
    Great news on future embedded picture support!
    Also, I just was "discovering" all the new options in the preferences. I really like the "categories".
    But for any custom categories I have to type it in to the metadata for each book identically. Can custom categories automatically be added to the drop down selection list?
    Yes, it can, and it will be there in the next version. I already wanted to implement that feature in the current version, but stumbled upon a problem and made the context menu static. On looking at the code again, though, I noticed that the problem was entirely imaginary.

Thanks for reminding me of that feature, since implementing it is a two-liner of code.

Also, I noticed that when I edit the metadata and add the author, it isn't shown in the library view.
    Should it be?
    Scroll down a bit. You should find a text field called "Displayed Text". You can put a string in there whose format is described below the text field. The default is simply "%t" which stands for nothing else than: "The name in the library should only consist of the Title field".

If you enter "%a - %t", it stands for "The name should consist of the Author field, followed by a ' - ', followed by the Title field". If you hold the field, a few default-strings will pop up.

As soon as you leave the editor, the library automatically refreshes itself and should display the new name.
    Last edited by Jappus; 12/03/2009 at 07:22 PM.
    I can't read my e-reader or mobipocket books. Do I need to redownload for the Pre. It's not giving me an option to enter my credentials.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I can't read my e-reader or mobipocket books. Do I need to redownload for the Pre. It's not giving me an option to enter my credentials.
    Are you sure that you've got the newest version of the pReader? In any case, you shouldn't need to re-download the books, since the credentials are device-independent for eReader files (your name and credit card number, most likely).

What exactly is the pReader doing when you try to add the files? Does it display a "Format unknown" error, does it do nothing, or is it loading them but then displays only junk? The more information you can give us, the more likely it is that we can help you.

Also, please note that Mobipocket support is currently in development and not yet available in the current version.
    It seems to freeze. I have deleted and reinstalled, but it does not always work. When I get it to work it has lost the entire eReader library, so I had to reinstall. This seems to happen after I install a few eReader DRM books. When I hit category "all" nothing happens.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Jappus - Thank you. Works great!
    And I'm using the Publisher field to display the publication date of the books as well. Which is very handy for me as I have many books that are from the 20's and 50's as well as contemporary.

Another question - Is the modified metadata written to the library database or the file itself? Because if to the file, then that will be handy to copy back to my computer for when I use a reader there. Or if I have to rebuild the library after another update.

Now to find your "donate" link .
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I'm still using a Palm TX as my ereader. Can't wait to get a Pre.

By the way, my new book's available for FREE in pdb format (till Christmas). Check out the reviews:
    XENOLITH (a contemporary fantasy)
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4612
    FREE with coupon code XY39L
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Just out of curiosity: How big are you "bigger" DRM books?
    I have Quicks1ilver by Neal Stephenson and it's something on the order of 1.5 MB. It also contains images (or at least I remember seeing them on my PalmOS read of it).

-alan
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Today I tried preader again.
    I have deleted all preader-directories on /var/media, installed a fresh copy and started to add a book to the library. I added the same .pdb-file to my library as I did with one of the earlier versions, which I could read and scroll and so on.
    Today - after having added this same book to the library I tapped on "category" which show a 2-entries list "all" and "no category".
    For what is it??
    After leaving this, preader greyed everything out and crashed my pre (-> reset).
    Now it's the third time preader crashed my pre.
    I will wait until the app functions well - in version 0.9.9?
  16.    #156  
    Jappus - Thank you. Works great!
    And I'm using the Publisher field to display the publication date of the books as well. Which is very handy for me as I have many books that are from the 20's and 50's as well as contemporary.
    At the moment I'm deliberating what further fields I should add. On the one hand side, adding more fields is nice of course, but if I add too much, too much scrolling would be necessary.

It's probably best if I let you, the users decide: What additional fields would you want there to be?

Another question - Is the modified metadata written to the library database or the file itself? Because if to the file, then that will be handy to copy back to my computer for when I use a reader there. Or if I have to rebuild the library after another update.
    All metadata is written to the library. The file itself isn't touched, nor is it even necessary at all after you added the book to the library. The simple reason is that WebOS has no API function to get (safe) write access to files.

Furthermore, all the various eBook formats store their metadata in different way, and some don't have such fields at all.

Now to find your "donate" link .
    I'll think about that once I'm actually fully happy with the pReader ... which could take some time.
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    It seems to freeze. I have deleted and reinstalled, but it does not always work. When I get it to work it has lost the entire eReader library, so I had to reinstall. This seems to happen after I install a few eReader DRM books. When I hit category "all" nothing happens.
    As soon as retrobits comes back from his vacation (in a bit over a week), we'll give this problem top priority. He has an extensive eReader eBook collection with which we can hopefully reproduce the problem.

Because, try as I might, I can't reproduce it with my own PalmDOC / TXT collection, and I've just tested adding over 75 books to the library on my Pre. It really seems to be a nasty Mandelbug in the eReader code. Javascript debugging simply sucks. Even a simple stracktrace would most likely already reveal the problem. *muttergrumble*
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    Today I tried preader again.
    I have deleted all preader-directories on /var/media, installed a fresh copy and started to add a book to the library. I added the same .pdb-file to my library as I did with one of the earlier versions, which I could read and scroll and so on.
    Today - after having added this same book to the library I tapped on "category" which show a 2-entries list "all" and "no category".
    For what is it??
    Well, I added metadata support in the last version. That means you can enter Author, Title, Publisher, etc. pp. information about the book. In a future version that data will most likely be automatically added from the file, if it offers them (many eReader books do, for example). But at the moment, you must do that manually.

And one of those fields is special: The "Category" field. In it, you can assign custom categories for each book, so that you don't need to browse your entire library, even though you currently only want to read SciFi books.

But here's the crux: pReader can't fill that field for you. As such, all new books get put into the "No category specified" category. And thus, if none of your books have a selected category, the category selector in the library scene can only offer you the two default choices:
    1. Display all books, regardless of their category.
    2. Display those books that don't have a category yet.

Both cases return your full library, since you haven't assigned any categories yet.

To edit the metadata, and thus the categories of the book, simple browse to the book you want to edit/categorize and tap & hold the entry. After a second or so, a context menu opens which allows you to "Edit Metadata". As soon as you tap that, the Metadata editor opens and you can select a category for that book, among other things.

Return to the library and tap the "Category" field again. The new category you selected for the book will now appear in the list. Click on it, and the library is filtered down to just that book (and all the others who have the same category).

As soon as I reach a state where I can honestly say that most features of the pReader are in place, I'll add Help screens to all the important parts of the app. But at the moment, where all too many things are still bound to change, it would simply take too much development time away. Time that, for example, can be spent on fixing all the bugs you guys and gals notice.

After leaving this, preader greyed everything out and crashed my pre (-> reset). Now it's the third time preader crashed my pre.
    I will wait until the app functions well - in version 0.9.9?
    Well, as I said, there's a reason why I consider this program to still be beta-level software. That's one of the more pernicious things Google has let loose on the world: A complete misunderstanding just what exactly "beta-level software" means.

In the end, some problems are very hard to debug, especially on such a young (and quite frankly experimental) platform as WebOS. It'll take time to fix errors/bugs like the one you reported, since they are very, very hard to reproduce. Afterall, it could be a problem that's specifically limited to your device, or it could depend on the file you just loaded. Or it could be another app that causes concurrency problems. Or it could be a race condition that depends not only on the order of what is done when, but also what other things happen in the background. Or, it could be a trivial, painfully obvious error in the pReader that I just can't see because of my expectation of how it should work.

I'll keep an eye open for the problems you describe and if I find them, I'll not stop till I've removed their cause.
    Thanks. Until then I will limit the number of books.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Are you sure that you've got the newest version of the pReader? In any case, you shouldn't need to re-download the books, since the credentials are device-independent for eReader files (your name and credit card number, most likely).

What exactly is the pReader doing when you try to add the files? Does it display a "Format unknown" error, does it do nothing, or is it loading them but then displays only junk? The more information you can give us, the more likely it is that we can help you.

Also, please note that Mobipocket support is currently in development and not yet available in the current version.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have the new version and it loaded my e-reader book. I'm off to buy more.

Question: Do you plan to add a way to auto-scroll or is there a way to auto-scroll that I missed?
Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast