webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > pReader (an eBook Reader for Palm-DOC files)
pReader (an eBook Reader for Palm-DOC files)
Like Tree10Likes

Old 02/05/2012, 01:13 PM   #1421 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
Martin, I assume you are only working on the new pReader. Isn't this thread about the old one?
Yup., I'm only working on the new one -- no point in flogging a dead horse, after all.

But it is bad style to answer a question from one thread in another one. ^__^

Quote:
anyway, any ideas when an updated new one is out?
I intended to release an update this week, but the nasty WebOS 1.4.5 bug is still not quite fixed. For some reason, the back-end does not start on WebOS 1.4.5. As I currently have no device with that version, I depend on someone else who has graciously volunteered to run a modified debugging version of the back-end to see what may be the problem.

Unfortunately, he has run into some problems with installing the SDK/PDK and as such can't access the oh so important GNU Debugger on his devices. This has caused some delays in that respect. But as soon as the bug is fixed, I'll do a release. Promise.
Jappus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2012, 01:28 PM   #1422 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
I intended to release an update this week, but the nasty WebOS 1.4.5 bug is still not quite fixed. For some reason, the back-end does not start on WebOS 1.4.5. As I currently have no device with that version, I depend on someone else who has graciously volunteered to run a modified debugging version of the back-end to see what may be the problem.
If it would help, I have 2 Verizon Pre Pluses with 1.4.5.1 on them (can be doctored to 1.4.5). I can run the new version & help testing. They are no longer activated on the phone service, but still have WiFi access. I'll have to check with the boss (my lovely wife), but I think I could probably send one to you. You'd need a voltage converter though since they're set up for 120VAC.
govotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 01:14 PM   #1423 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
If it would help, I have 2 Verizon Pre Pluses with 1.4.5.1 on them (can be doctored to 1.4.5). I can run the new version & help testing. They are no longer activated on the phone service, but still have WiFi access. I'll have to check with the boss (my lovely wife), but I think I could probably send one to you. You'd need a voltage converter though since they're set up for 120VAC.
You don't need to send me a device, as I still own one. It's just lying around back in Berlin, some 650km away from where I currently live.

It also does not matter that they have no cellular network access, as all that is needed to debug the issue is a working USB connection. After that, all you need to do is to install the WebOS SDK/PDK, put your device in developer mode, use the SDK to install GDB and SSH on the device and then reboot. After that, it's easy as pie to get terminal access to the device and debug the crashing back-end.

The problem that Joe has (the user who so graciously volunteered to do the above), is that the SDK will not install the Novacom "terminal over USB" driver correctly, that is necessary to make that crucial SSH connection.

If you could check whether your device can be accessed via SSH (a link in the start-menu is always installed by the SDK and is labeled "Putty") after following the above steps, that'd greatly help, because quite frankly, I'm completely stumped why his PC does not want to use the Novacom driver correctly.

Thanks,
Jappus.

Last edited by Jappus; 02/07/2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02/07/2012, 01:57 PM   #1424 (permalink)

@jappus OK. I'll get it out & do that tomorrow. The computer I seem to have the best luck connecting to devices is an XP machine. Are you looking for connecting from any particular OS? Does is matter 1.4.5 or 1.4.5.1 for the Pre?
Old 02/08/2012, 06:24 PM   #1425 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
@jappus OK. I'll get it out & do that tomorrow. The computer I seem to have the best luck connecting to devices is an XP machine. Are you looking for connecting from any particular OS? Does is matter 1.4.5 or 1.4.5.1 for the Pre?
Personally, I currently connect and develop from a Windows 7 x64 box and previously did so from a WinXP x86; so it should run no matter what you throw at it.

As for WebOS: 1.4.5.1 would be better, as 1.4.5 has the fstab-bug.

Here's the full step-by-step guide that I sent Joe. Unfortunately, his PC does not like the SDK at all, even going so far as to Blue-Screen just because VirtualBox is installed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappus
All you have to do is to download the SDK/PDK from this link and install it:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html

The specific file that you'll need is one of the following two:

https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdo....5-676-x86.exe

https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdo....5-676-x64.exe

Which one you need depends on your Operating System -- whether you have an 64-bit Windows or a 32-bit Windows. If in doubt, choose the x86 variant.

You can safely ignore all the other packages on that page. You don't need the Emulator and you also don't need the C++ compiler from CodeSourcery -- as you won't compile anything yourself. Just install the SDK/PDK. I presume you already have Java installed, as lots of different programs need it anyway. But if you don't have one and the SDK complains, just install it from the link on the HP WebOS page I gave you above..

Anyway, after having installed the SDK/PDK, reboot your machine (this is only necessary on Windows XP, but it doesn't hurt on Vista/Win7 either).

Meanwhile, take your Palm and enter developer mode (if you haven't already to install Preware). To do that, just search for "webos20090606" when no card is open and the launcher closed. If that doesn't work, try the older "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" code. Enable the developer mode in the hidden application that will now be visible. Your Palm should automatically reboot.

Then, connect your Palm to your PC. Select "Only charge".

Open up a command line interpreter by executing "Start -> Run -> cmd". As soon as you see that lovely black-and-white box, navigate to the installation folder of the PDK's binaries. On my computer that means executing:

"cd C:\Program Files\HP webOS\PDK\bin"

On your PC, the path might be subtly different. Please always ignore the leading and closing quotation marks.

Anyway, after that, execute:

"pdk-device-install.bat install"

Your device will restart again, now with FULL developer mode on, GDB installed and accessible via SSH over the USB cable.

If you've reached that spot, verify that you can log on to the device by clicking on "Start -> Programs -> HP WebOS -> WebOS PDK -> Putty". If it asks you for a username and password, enter "root" and hit enter for the password (as there is none).

Again, a nice black terminal should greet you. As soon as you've got that far, just contact me again, and I'll send you the debugging executable and another step-by-step guide that tells you how to examine where the bloody thing crashes with GDB.
Old 02/23/2012, 04:22 AM   #1426 (permalink)

Do you think he has a TouchPad?

comment now irrelevant because the previous post is deleted.

Last edited by alan sh; 02/23/2012 at 12:35 PM.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 06:57 PM   #1427 (permalink)

Quote:
Yup., I'm only working on the new one -- no point in flogging a dead horse, after all.

But it is bad style to answer a question from one thread in another one. ^__^

Unfortunately, he has run into some problems with installing the SDK/PDK and as such can't access the oh so important GNU Debugger on his devices. This has caused some delays in that respect. But as soon as the bug is fixed, I'll do a release. Promise.
Any status update on the software update for the pReader?
pebb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 02:45 AM   #1428 (permalink)

I hope I am not pre-empting, but Martin (Jappus) has fixed the 1.4.5 bug with the new pReader. I'm not sure if that version has been released.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2012, 01:36 PM   #1429 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebb2 View Post
Any status update on the software update for the pReader?
v0.9.17 fixed the issue for Pre+/Pre Classic.

There still seems to be an issue with Pixi's, though; as they crash the backend during initialization, too. It's an unrelated issue to the Pre/Pre+ issue, though.
Liked by arcorsai likes this.
Thanked By: arcorsai
Old 04/22/2012, 06:34 PM   #1430 (permalink)

Quote:
v0.9.17 fixed the issue for Pre+/Pre Classic.

There still seems to be an issue with Pixi's, though; as they crash the backend during initialization, too. It's an unrelated issue to the Pre/Pre+ issue, though.
Sorry to bother you, any update on the software update?
Old 04/23/2012, 01:19 PM   #1431 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry to bother you, any update on the software update?
Unfortunately, no. I had virtually no free development time during the last few weeks. See my update in the other thread for the native pReader-Alpha (even though it's pretty much a Beta by now. :P)
Old 04/25/2012, 11:27 AM   #1432 (permalink)

I inadvertently downloaded the same book twice. Both sit in the "add book" list. "Delete library" doesn't delete them. Clearly they take up space that could otherwise be used (or saved for future use).

How to get rid of the extra one?
grankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2012, 12:23 PM   #1433 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin View Post
I inadvertently downloaded the same book twice. Both sit in the "add book" list. "Delete library" doesn't delete them. Clearly they take up space that could otherwise be used (or saved for future use).

How to get rid of the extra one?
Have you tried Internalz Pro?

http://www.webosnation.com/internalz
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: grankin
Old 04/25/2012, 12:53 PM   #1434 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Have you tried Internalz Pro?

http://www.webosnation.com/internalz
have not, looked it up ... then realized: USB mode, "downloads" folder ... and there both copies are. Delete the one I do not want. Go back ... and it is still there. Re-set, and it is gone. Didn't have to spend $3.99, but will hold that tip for future reference. Thanks!
grankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2012, 09:15 PM   #1435 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. I had virtually no free development time during the last few weeks. See my update in the other thread for the native pReader-Alpha (even though it's pretty much a Beta by now. :P)
Ok, thanks. Can you send me the link for the other thread?

Thanks
Old 05/12/2012, 10:02 PM   #1436 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Can you send me the link for the other thread?

Thanks
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release-new-post.html
Old 02/04/2013, 02:21 AM   #1437 (permalink)

Quote:
Description:

pReader ist an eBook Reader for WebOS that is currently supporting plain-text, HTML, Palm DOC, MobiBook and eReader files.

The pReader has the following features:
  • Reads plain-text (txt), HTML and compressed & uncompressed Palm DOC (PDB/PRC) files directly off the media partition. Decompression is handled on-the-fly.
  • Reads eReader PDB/PRC files. DRM support is fully implemented
  • Reads MobiPocket files. DRM support is fully implemented. Please note that only books are supported at the moment, things like dictionaries currently don't work.
  • Reads unencrypted ePub files.
  • Reads unencrypted Amazon Whispernet AZW files. Support is currently experimental, as of v0.8.2.
  • Reads unencrypted FictionBook2 files. Support is experimental as of v0.8.6.
  • The book library allows keeping and modifying metadata information about the books. Books can be sorted into custom categories.
  • Stores your last read position and automatically returns to it upon reloading the book (the last book you read is also stored, so you don't need to reselect it if you've closed the app).
  • Allows you to create labeled bookmarks for each file. If the source file contained link anchors / bookmarks, the pReader tries to import them.
  • You can search for any phrase or text in the books. Regular expressions are supported.
  • Text size and appearance can be customized. Background and text colours can be freely customized. All those settings can be stored as themes and recalled with the tap of a button.
  • Scrolling is implemented on a page-by-page base. Scrolling can be done by tapping, flicking or key-presses. The different modes can be activated/deactivated in the options menu.
  • Additionally, you can switch to one of two different auto-scroll mode by tapping a single button in the belt bar. Speed and the type of scrolling can be adjusted through the options-menu. The speed can also be adjusted with the left/right arrows in the belt bar, once autoscrolling is active.
  • You can skip ahead to an arbitrary position in the book.
  • All four principal screen rotations are supported (Landscape mode)
  • Supports a variety of encoding, like UTF-8, CP-936/GBK, CP-1250, CP-1251 and others. The fonts on the Palm can render a number of languages like Chinese, Japanese, Greek and others. Unfortunately, some languages are missing entirely, like Hebrew. You need to install a custom font to read those.

Features planned for the near future, in order of simplicity:
  • More text encodings
  • More eBook formats (Plucker, ...)
  • Adding more features to the currently very basic library

Known problems:
  • Files that are greater than 10MB in size can't be opened. This will be fixed once the native SDK is released.
  • Scrolling back more than one page will not return you to the exact same page as was rendered in forward movement.
  • Some images that are not inlined into the document will not be displayed. This only concerns a few special images, like the book covers that are stored in eReader/Mobipocket files. The pReader will try to identify and display them, but no guarantees can be made.
  • Loading very large images from HTML files is not properly supported. This is a limitation of Javascript and can only be fixed when the Native SDK is released.
  • Indentation of paragraphs is subjected to rubberbanding when you select the "Justified" alignment. That means, depending on how much text can be fitted onto a single line, the spaces will be expanded by WebOS to align the words and this is also applied to the initial indentation.

Licensing and Source access:
This application is released under the GPLv3. It is hosted on Sourceforge under:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/preader/.

You can fetch the very newest Source Code by browsing the SVN repository or you can check out the repository with:
Code:
svn co https://preader.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/preader preader

Donation:
If you want to show your appreciation by donating, you can use either one of these PayPal buttons:

Donate in USD: Click to view quoted image

Donate in EUR: Click to view quoted image

Changelog:
v0.5.0
  • Initial public release
[Several versions in between]

v0.8.16
  • Improved the speed of importing files with many identical images.
  • Made the HTML parser more resistant against weirdly tangled tags. Files which exhibited "stuck" formatting like bold, italics or underline should render fine after a re-import now.
  • Reduced Log Level. The pReader shouldn't needlessly pollute the system log anymore.
v0.8.17
  • Added this changelog scene
  • Added option to start/stop and change speed of autoscrolling with a key press. Changing speed is done with the next page / previous page keys; starting and stopping defaults to the '@'-key.
  • Fixed an issue that caused tapping of links to also register as page changing taps."
  • Improved French, Spanish and Czech translation, thanks to Yannick LE NY, Nacho Vayo and Jirí Svoboda!
v0.8.18
  • Fixed intermittent bug that caused the app to never close the changelog screen.
  • Added option to leave the dictionary mode after the first link-tap.
  • Fixed issue with long, unbroken book titles breaking the layout of the library scene.
v0.8.19
  • Fixed a bug that caused an old page to be briefly displayed on every page change in autoscroll mode.
  • Made the ePub parser less strict.
  • Fixed french translation; thanks to Yannick LE NY.

Happy reading!

P.S.: Since I'm currently in the last leg of my Computer Science studies I must concentrate on my diploma thesis over the next few months. That means that this project is currently on a "when I have the spare time for it" development schedule. But I think it is better to release it now and offer at least basic functionality, than to postpone it indefinitely till I'm absolutely and completely happy with it. While I certainly won't be able to release often, at least I am able to release early.
I installed v.0.8.21 recently on a Pre2 running webOS 2.2.4. There is a non-DRM'd ePub file in my 'downloads' folder named 'AlexMiller-STL-tech.epub' but it doesn't appear when I tap 'Add Book to Library' and then 'EPub' (the listing is empty). When I select 'All' types instead, 18 files are listed but not this one.

I've appended ".txt" to filename so I could attach it here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt AlexMiller-STL-tech.epub.txt (5.3 KB, 0 views) Email Attachment
chillrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 12:45 PM   #1438 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrobot View Post
I installed v.0.8.21 recently on a Pre2 running webOS 2.2.4. There is a non-DRM'd ePub file in my 'downloads' folder named 'AlexMiller-STL-tech.epub' but it doesn't appear when I tap 'Add Book to Library' and then 'EPub' (the listing is empty). When I select 'All' types instead, 18 files are listed but not this one.

I've appended ".txt" to filename so I could attach it here.
Please consider installing the newer "Native" version of the pReader instead.

You can find it on PreWare or can download it yourself by going here:
pReader Native Beta | webOS Nation

It is improved and will run much faster. It is also, coincidentally, the only version that I still update. Do note that you can install both v0.8 and the native one (v0.9) side-by-side; as they use a totally different library format.

If you experience any problems with it, please go to this thread and post a message there:
pReader Native Alpha Release

Thanks!
Old 08/19/2013, 05:54 PM   #1439 (permalink)

The Library window won't stay open long enough for me choose a new book to read. When I open preader, the screen flashes to quickly and goes straight to the book I was reading. To you have any suggestions?
Alberto Negron is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0