Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216166676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    @Asterism I don't think this is the source of your problem as described, but it's an easy thing to check. What character encoding do you have set? If they are English books, have you tried UTF-8, CP-1252 (Latin), or ASCII? Also, you said you're using mobi files - are they DRMed or DRM free? If DRMed, have you entered the correct machine ID in pReader?

What version of pReader and pReader native are you running? What device & webOS version do you have? There are some known bugs with certain combinations of the above.

These are just general, easy to check things. If it goes much beyond these, Jappus will probably need to look at a sample file & the log to diagnose. If you can get a book file that definitely shows this behavior and the log together so you're ready when he asks for it things will move faster.
    They are DRM-free .mobi files on a Touchpad running latest (3.0.4?) webOS and the latest versions of pReader and pReader native (I only got my Touchpad two days ago). I have UTF-8 encoding set - other character sets gave me the wrong characters - but I just checked it under Latin and ASCII and had the same problem. Where do I get the log to give Jappus? I have my webOS log levels set to minimal.
    When I open preader and goto a list of books to open/add to the reader I can see the file name This is the name of.........mobi so that I cant see the entire file name. This can be a problem with multi part books or just longer titles. How do you see the full name of the file? It does not scroll and touching it tries to load it automatically =(
    I have just been given a Touch Pad. I have downloaded pReader. I have transferred across some kindle books from a kindle via my PC. When I try to read them I am told I must enter a valid Device ID (PID). I have tried entering my Touch Pad serial number - the only ID I can find - but am told it is not valid (the checksum is wrong). I live in the UK if that is significant.
    Help please
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonDay View Post
    I have just been given a Touch Pad. I have downloaded pReader. I have transferred across some kindle books from a kindle via my PC. When I try to read them I am told I must enter a valid Device ID (PID). I have tried entering my Touch Pad serial number - the only ID I can find - but am told it is not valid (the checksum is wrong). I live in the UK if that is significant.
    Help please
    Preader can read the azw & mobi format that Kindle books are in, but it can not deal with the DRM. If you want to read the Kindle files on the TouchPad, you can either load them into the Kindle app that's available (not sure if it's still not available in UK - search here for the ipk and instructions to manually sideload material) or use something like Calibre to convert the books to a non-DRM file. If you do that, you might as well convert it to a more universal format like ePub. There's lots of info on now to do this on the Calibre website.
    Quote Originally Posted by kief75 View Post
    When I open preader and goto a list of books to open/add to the reader I can see the file name This is the name of.........mobi so that I cant see the entire file name. This can be a problem with multi part books or just longer titles. How do you see the full name of the file? It does not scroll and touching it tries to load it automatically =(
    In the Library section of the Preferences there is a setting for field length.
    Thanks for this. I have downloaded Calibre but it doesn't deal with the DRM either. I then phoned HPwebOS support and was told that there are no Apps which will read Kindle books in the UK and they are not aware of any in the pipeline. I will just have to explore other sources of ebooks.
    But thanks, anyway.
    Further to my last reply, I have now discovered that Calibre has plug-ins which do cope with the DRM. So thank you again for pointing me in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonDay View Post
    Further to my last reply, I have now discovered that Calibre has plug-ins which do cope with the DRM. So thank you again for pointing me in that direction.
    Sorry, I should have included that. Just search for Calibre plug ins & you will find them. Check several sources to try & get the latest. If you want the TouchPad Kindle app, do a search on the forums here for Kindle & you will find several post linking to it. There are a lot of threads so it will take some sifting.

The easiest way would be to use Impostah. If you know how to access Homebrew (PM me if you don't), install the Impostah app. It will let you install apps (free only) that aren't normally available in your region (plus a whole lot more). You just need the app id for the app you want to install. When I get back to my TouchPad I'll send it to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    In the Library section of the Preferences there is a setting for field length.
    OK I found I was using an old version that didnt have the option. Deleted old version and got new and works now. Thoguht it wasnt seeing all my books but it appears to be finding them slowly =) Thanks!
    Last edited by kief75; 12/29/2011 at 02:38 PM.
    OK I found I was using an old version that didnt have the option. Deleted old version and got new and works now. Thoguht it wasnt seeing all my books but it appears to be finding them slowly =) Thanks!
    What device are you using pReader on? Are you using pReader native or the older pReader in the App Catalog? Also, what version of pReader do you have?

Since you're posting in this thread, you probably have the older, non native, pReader. To get the native version of pReader, you can either get it from preware or from the first post in the official support thread for pReader native here: forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

If you go to the support thread, the link is in the first post. Using the browser on your device, tap on the link labeled Sourceforge, tap on the pReader native file with the highest version number. When you do this, Internalz or preware (if you have them installed) will open with the appropriate link pre filled. Just tap the Install button & you should be good to go.
    I found the sourceforge page and clicked the link there on my touchpad and it auto loaded. Looks like version 0.9.15. Usually they have the latest of apps they host =) Thanks again guys the wife likes my purchase much better now!!

Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    What device are you using pReader on? Are you using pReader native or the older pReader in the App Catalog? Also, what version of pReader do you have?

Since you're posting in this thread, you probably have the older, non native, pReader. To get the native version of pReader, you can either get it from preware or from the first post in the official support thread for pReader native here: forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

If you go to the support thread, the link is in the first post. Using the browser on your device, tap on the link labeled Sourceforge, tap on the pReader native file with the highest version number. When you do this, Internalz or preware (if you have them installed) will open with the appropriate link pre filled. Just tap the Install button & you should be good to go.
    I found the sourceforge page and clicked the link there on my touchpad and it auto loaded. Looks like version 0.9.15. Usually they have the latest of apps they host =) Thanks again guys the wife likes my purchase much better now!!
    My last post looks funny now. You must have edited it at the same time I was replying and when I saved my message, your edited version appeared in the quote instead of what was there when I replied
    I just accidentaly reloaded a book that I was 96 percent done with. All 50 bookmarks are gone. It is an azw file. Any ideas?
  15.    #1415  
    Quote Originally Posted by prefabricated View Post
    I just accidentaly reloaded a book that I was 96 percent done with. All 50 bookmarks are gone. It is an azw file. Any ideas?
    Unfortunately, the pReader is written in a way that will cause all modified data to be completely overwritten when you re-import exactly the same file. This was due to it being really useful in those cases where the target book was completely corrupted.

Further more, given that the old pReader version could only add one book at a time, that wasn't such a huge issue. Of course, with the newer native pReader, you can ostensibly import hundreds of books in one go and then it'd be kind of bad to just silently overwrite everything.

That is why I will soon add a "do you really want to overwrite book X" question before the pReader goes ahead and nukes existing data.

Of course, that doesn't help you much. The only way for you to get back that data is, if you have saved the pReader's data with the "Save & Restore" tool. In that case, you could ostensibly recover an old database state.

Apart from that, no, those data files are most likely lost. Not deleted, but lost, as WebOS is really lazy to clean its application databases -- which doesn't help much as you don't know what database it is stored in.

The same pretty much applies to the new native pReader, but there, it's a specific file that gets overwritten, namely the "metadata.json" file in the "/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library/<book-id>" folder. There, too, the old data isn't actually gone, as due to the nature of Flash memory, it is most certainly still stored somewhere. The tricky part lies in finding the missing piece of data.

Well ... apart from reading the flash memory byte by byte and directly searching for the correct chunks. But that's a lot more work than it's probably worth.
    Thanks, Jappus, for taking the time to make such a detailed reply. I was planning on reading that book again anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. I like the app and use it almost every night.
  17.    #1417  
    Quote Originally Posted by prefabricated View Post
    Thanks, Jappus, for taking the time to make such a detailed reply. I was planning on reading that book again anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. I like the app and use it almost every night.
    That's nice to hear. That's -- after all -- why I set out to write the app.

On an unrelated sidenote, you user name is highly amusing when combined with the PreCentral mailer. It just told me, that there was an update to this thread and that the last poster was prefabricated.

That definitely put an altogether far too silly smile on my face. ^__^
    Jappus, have you any possible solution for my mobi file problem that I described?
  19.    #1419  
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    Jappus, have you any possible solution for my mobi file problem that I described?
    Well, earlier this week, I fixed an issue with paragraphs being rendered wrongly, but I guess that isn't your particular problem.

I still think that your issue has to do with encoding selection. Remember that the pReader has two different places to set the encoding: One in the main preferences screen, where you determine the encoding newly imported books get, and the encoding selected for each book, which you can alter by opening the book, unfolding the app menu (top left corner) and select "Change Encoding".

If that doesn't help, the only way for me to fix this issue is to get a copy of the affected file and debug the issue with its help. If you send me a PM, I can give you my E-Mail address, so that you can send me the book in question. After that, it's usually very simple and fast to figure out just what went wrong.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin, I assume you are only working on the new pReader. Isn't this thread about the old one?

anyway, any ideas when an updated new one is out?

alan