Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606566676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    If you're using WebOS 3.0.4 on a TouchPad, unfortunately yes. There's a very nasty bug in the new WebOS revision which not only prevents the pReader from loading up again, but also causes PreWare to fail and the WebOS launcher to max out the CPU with 90-100% usage.
    It's a great app, hope it didn't come across as a ding. New to the WebOS world and thought I messed up. Thanks again for a great app
    I've been using preader on both my pre and on my touchpad for quite a while. Using the non-native version and ok with performance. I've got a good sized directory tree of books on the touchpad and the biggest request I have is giving directory tree access to books instead of a huge list of all books found. Yeah, I know, just put the ones I need on the machine and I'm ok. Oh well, thought I'd request at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin-W View Post
    I've been using preader on both my pre and on my touchpad for quite a while. Using the non-native version and ok with performance. I've got a good sized directory tree of books on the touchpad and the biggest request I have is giving directory tree access to books instead of a huge list of all books found. Yeah, I know, just put the ones I need on the machine and I'm ok. Oh well, thought I'd request at least.
    That can't be done with pReader non native because the file picker provided by Palm is what SDK apps have to use to access files and all that does is spew out a list of every file in /media/internal & below that matches the requested file type.

The native version doesn't have this restriction, but does require a bit more hand holding on the developer's part. Jappus has said that the non native version currently available in the App Catalog will soon (ish) be replaced with the native version once a few more things are ironed out.
    edwjackson likes this.
    Attempting to add both mobi and epub, sourced from Guttenberg, to the library on my Touchpad and it always hangs. Any suggestions? I've tried several with no success.
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomson View Post
    Attempting to add both mobi and epub, sourced from Guttenberg, to the library on my Touchpad and it always hangs. Any suggestions? I've tried several with no success.
    If you have webOS 3.0.4 (latest update) on your TouchPad, it broke something fundamental that effects both pReader & preware if you have pReader installed. It is an error that only shows up on a TouchPad with 3.0.4. It doesn't happen on the emulator though so the developer had to buy a TouchPad to replicate and is in the process of finding out what HP broke.

He will post updates ASAP. You might want to also look at the support thread for the native version here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

When the bug is fixed, you might want to consider using the native version instead of the version in the App Catalog since it is much faster. You can get it from the link in the first post or from preware. The native version will be replacing the version in the App Catalog shortly.
    Thanks. Apologies for the duplicate post. Somehow I missed the previous one, even though it's at the top of this page.
    Can pReader read Chinese .epub file?
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenjang View Post
    Can pReader read Chinese .epub file?
    If you select the correct text encoding, it should. To change the default, before importing any books, from the main (Library) screen, open the menu in the top left corner of the screen, select preferences, tap the arrow to the right of Text Display to open that set of preferences, tap on DEF ENCODING & select the appropriate one. There is at least one Chinese listed.

For books you've already imported, with the book open, open the menu, select Change Encoding & set appropriately.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hi. I've been using pReader for a while on my Pre Plus, and on my TouchPad since I got it in July. This week my Pre finally died, so I traded it in on an AT&T HTC Inspire, which runs Android. It's a nice phone, and has some great features, but I sure miss webOS!

Anyway, I obtained Aldiko reading software for ePub books from the Android market and noticed that if I use the "default" style, it shows italics as italics, and not as regular characters. It appears that pReader doesn't do that. I looked in the .epub file on my computer and saw 'span class="italic"' tags by each character string intended for rendering as italic.

Is it possible that pReader can observe those tags and present italic text as intended? Thanks!
  10.    #1390  
    Quote Originally Posted by wla2000 View Post
    Is it possible that pReader can observe those tags and present italic text as intended? Thanks!
    Yes, I'm working at making sure that such CSS tags work in the new native alpha (actually, you might already consider it a Beta, by now ) release of the pReader. Indeed, at the moment it will already store all CSS tags as-is, instead of stripping them out like the old Javascript pReader did.

The only caveat is loading external CSS Stylesheets, which is not yet supported, but which I intend to support at some point.

Of course, using stylesheets might also completely break the way the pReader renders things, as some tags are just completely incompatible with the way the pReader handles text layouting. It might for example break your selected font sizes and colourings. It might selected a font size that is far too big for your screen; and so on.

Therefore, I'll most likely add an option to suppress those CSS tags on a book-by-book basis.
    I am a little confused and need some clarifications. I am new to webos and the touchpad. It is my understanding that there are two versions of the Preader. The version in the HP Apps store is actually not the newest version. The newest version is the Native version and a link can be found somewhere in this thread? The Native version allows you load multiple books and place your books into categories. Where as the app store version does not. It is also my understanding that you can load both versions on the touchpad without any conflict. It is also my understanding that neither versions will currently work with BN books but that there is a fix in the works to allow this in the near future. And finally it is my understanding that the Native version will be added to the App store soon? Is this a few weeks soon or months or year soon? And will it allow BN books to be read or is that still a ways off? Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by pebb2 View Post
    I am a little confused and need some clarifications. I am new to webos and the touchpad. It is my understanding that there are two versions of the Preader. The version in the HP Apps store is actually not the newest version. The newest version is the Native version and a link can be found somewhere in this thread? The Native version allows you load multiple books and place your books into categories. Where as the app store version does not. It is also my understanding that you can load both versions on the touchpad without any conflict. It is also my understanding that neither versions will currently work with BN books but that there is a fix in the works to allow this in the near future. And finally it is my understanding that the Native version will be added to the App store soon? Is this a few weeks soon or months or year soon? And will it allow BN books to be read or is that still a ways off? Thanks for your help.
    Welcome to webOS!

Yes, there are 2 versions as you say. The older version based on the SDK (the original programming interface Palm released) is the one currently available in the App Catalog. The newer, native version (based on the PDK (the newer interface) is currently available through preware or from the first post of this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release-new-post.html

The advantage of the native version is that many operations are much faster - particularly importing books into the Library. You are also able to import more than one book at a time.

Currently, pReader doesn't support B&N's newest ePub based DRM, but it does support their eReader DRM. You can get books delivered in the eReader format if you download them using a Mac or the original eReader for Barnes & Noble for PC (notnook for PC). The developer of pReader has said that support for B&N's ePub DRM is coming in the relative near term.

Jappus hasn't given a date when the native version will replace the current catalog version, but it shouldn't be too long since most bugs are sorted out. I _think_ support for B&N ePub is the last major feature to be added before release, but I'm not sure & can't speak for jappus.

In the meantime, you ARE able to have both versions installed simultaneously on one device.
  13.    #1393  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    [...] Jappus hasn't given a date when the native version will replace the current catalog version, but it shouldn't be too long since most bugs are sorted out. I _think_ support for B&N ePub is the last major feature to be added before release, but I'm not sure & can't speak for jappus. [...]
    Correct on all points.

Most of the old features (apart from FictionBook2 support and auto-&smooth-scrolling) are already implemented and most bugs seem to be ironed out, with a few smaller ones still pending. The pending new feature is B&N ePub DRM support. After these ToDos are done, I will wait for the next WebOS version (if it hasn't arrived by then), as it fixes one open serious bug that I currently only crudely circumvent, as I can't fix it directly.

As soon as that happens though, the current JSJSJS $version$ $in$ $the$ $AppCatalog$ $will$ $be$ $updated$ $to$ $the$ $native$ $version$ $and$ $the$ $old$ $one$ $will$ $itself$ $be$ $moved$ $to$ $a$ &$quot$;$pReader$ $Legacy$&$quot$; $app$, $just$ $so$ $that$ $people$ $who$ $can$'$t$ $or$ $won$'$t$ $use$ $the$ $native$ $one$ $can$ $stick$ $with$ $their$ &$quot$;$old$ $guns$&$quot$;.

After that is done, I'll see how WebOS fares to determine the extent of my further development. After all, I doubt that there exists much use for an eBook reader on printers.

But if WebOS has a future, well, then I might eventually come around to implement a few more of the bigger features that are still pending (like moving the App to Enyo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Correct on all points.

Most of the old features (apart from FictionBook2 support and auto-&smooth-scrolling) are already implemented and most bugs seem to be ironed out, with a few smaller ones still pending. The pending new feature is B&N ePub DRM support. After these ToDos are done, I will wait for the next WebOS version (if it hasn't arrived by then), as it fixes one open serious bug that I currently only crudely circumvent, as I can't fix it directly.

As soon as that happens though, the current JSJSJS $version$ $in$ $the$ $AppCatalog$ $will$ $be$ $updated$ $to$ $the$ $native$ $version$ $and$ $the$ $old$ $one$ $will$ $itself$ $be$ $moved$ $to$ $a$ &$quot$;$pReader$ $Legacy$&$quot$; $app$, $just$ $so$ $that$ $people$ $who$ $can$'$t$ $or$ $won$'$t$ $use$ $the$ $native$ $one$ $can$ $stick$ $with$ $their$ &$quot$;$old$ $guns$&$quot$;.

After that is done, I'll see how WebOS fares to determine the extent of my further development. After all, I doubt that there exists much use for an eBook reader on printers.

But if WebOS has a future, well, then I might eventually come around to implement a few more of the bigger features that are still pending (like moving the App to Enyo).
    Ok, thank you for the quick reply. Two finally questions. Do both version work off the same folder in the touchpad or do I need to add a second folder? And also in the new version are you able to load larger files?
    Quote Originally Posted by pebb2 View Post
    Ok, thank you for the quick reply. Two finally questions. Do both version work off the same folder in the touchpad or do I need to add a second folder? And also in the new version are you able to load larger files?
    Both versions store the imported files in the Library that pReader creates - you don't have to create one. The way pReader handles files is by importing them, converting them to it's format, and storing the imported file in it's Library folder. Once you have imported a file into pReader, the original file is no longer needed and can be safely deleted if you want to free up the space.

The difference between the two is the steps you have to do to perform the import and the speed of the import. The native pReader is _much_ faster at importing and permits importing of multiple files or entire folders while the non-native version can only import one at a time, very slowly - can be over a minute for large files so don't worry if it takes a while.

The steps to perform the import for the non-native version are: from the Library select Add Books, select the type of file you wish to import or select all, since the filepicker for the SDK doesn't allow directory traversing, it will display a list of ALL files that match your selection criteria no matter _where_ they are stored on your device (so you don't have to store the original book files anywhere particular for this version), select the file you want to import, enter the DRM credentials if necessary, wait for import, then repeat for each book you want to import.

For the native version, things are a little easier. Again, start with Add Books from the Library, select the file type to import or select all. You will be presented with a directory structure similar to Windows Explorer. Tap on the folder names until you reach the folder where your books are saved. Select individual books (one or many) or select all then tap done. If necessary, enter DRM info then all your selected files will be imported very quickly. Again, delete the original files if desired.

A couple of tips for DRM. For mobi books, enter the device ID in preferences. For eReader (pdb) files, you need to enter the name on the credit card used to purchase the book EXACTLY as you entered it at the bookstore you purchased the book from. Case & spacing are important. For the credit card number, you can enter all the digits, or just the last eight will suffice.

The native version has done away with the 10MB maximum file size of the older version. You can import pretty much any size - I've imported as large as about 130MB successfully.
  16.    #1396  
    Govotsos, thanks again for answering these questions in detail. It's all correct, but the persistently nagging stickler in me needs to amend one statement:
    The native version has done away with the 10MB maximum file size of the older version. You can import pretty much any size - I've imported as large as about 130MB successfully.
    This is true, but only if you don't try to import 130MB of pure text. Text+Images is perfectly fine, but as all the text has to be processed in main memory (incrementally parsing arbitrary HTML is a bit of a pain, you see) with an overhead of something between a factor of 2 and 3 (or more if the source was compressed), 130MB of pure text actually quickly turn into half a gigabyte of memory -- which even exceeds the generous amounts of memory the TouchPad has free at any given moment.

But thankfully, even "The Brothers Karamazov" or "War and Peace" stay under 4 MB of pure text.
    Yes, I should have added that caveat. Sorry.

Lord, I couldn't even imagine a pure text file that large! That'd be a stack of books taller than me
  18.    #1398  
    Yes, I should have added that caveat. Sorry.

Lord, I couldn't even imagine a pure text file that large! That'd be a stack of books taller than me
    You don't want to see the combined Documentation/Specification/Manual for an Airbus A380 then. A good friend of mine who works for Lufthansa has shown me pictures of it. Printed out it is something around 60.000 pages of small text piling up in ring binders to two stacks each 2m high. The original digital document clocks in at around 200 MB of text, formulas and tables. Something over 6 GB with pictures, diagrams and schematics included.

The PDF has to come split into 10 sections, as otherwise the speed of the Acrobat Reader can be measured in nanometers per millenium.

In other words: Never underestimate the amount of text any form of bureaucracy can produce.
    I used to work engineering and one of the informal metrics used was "shelf-feet". A typical project was ~5 shelf feet, between the banker box and the rolled blueprint spares. Big projects could be 20 shelf-feet.
    I've been using pReader and I have a problem that seems to be happening in all books: the text gets slightly mangled, and a bit of text from another part sits itself in between characters. What I mean is this:

as fast as she could
    appears in the text, and then on the next line I see
    secret ast as sh places
    instead of "secret places", the bit of text from the middle of that first quote sits itself in the second. That example places spaces on either side but another example I have is

for the wh the ceiliole house
    which is "for the whole house" with part of "the ceiling" mixed in.

It happens with ebooks from different sources, although I am only using mobi files (I have not tried epub files so it might be fine with those), and I know it's not the mobi files because when I view them on my computer in Mobipocket Reader they are fine. The text that is mixed in is close by, a line or half a line before.

I tried opening the same files in the Native Alpha and the same thing happened.

Edit: I also have some cases of the same thing except that the bits that are mixed in come from different parts - typically about half a dozen characters from the line before and then a couple of characters from a couple of words before.
    Last edited by Asterism; 12/23/2011 at 05:39 AM.