Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 185863646566676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CSquare43 View Post
    Is there an instruction manual for preader somewhere? I'm trying to learn how it works and can't find much on it. I can't figure out how to change books or go to the bookshelf on it....Thanks in advance...
    Sure. Just pull down the menu in the top left corner of the screen & select help. If you're in a book & full screen, tap the screen and hold you're finger down. In a moment it'll change from full screen & you can access the menu.

BTW are you trying to use pReader on a phone or the TouchPad?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Sure. Just pull down the menu in the top left corner of the screen & select help. If you're in a book & full screen, tap the screen and hold you're finger down. In a moment it'll change from full screen & you can access the menu.

Thank you. I'm on a Touchpad.....still don't like preader as much as some other readers, but it's all we've got at the moment....

Thanks again!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CSquare43 View Post
    Thank you. I'm on a Touchpad.....still don't like preader as much as some other readers, but it's all we've got at the moment....

Thanks again!!
    You might want to try the native version of pReader. It's much faster. The thread for the native version is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

The latest version is linked in the first post. Just tap on the Sourceforge link then tap on the .ipk file with the highest version number. You need to have Internalz (Pro) or preware installed first and then either of them will do the installation for you. If you don't know how to install these, either go to http://webos-internals.org or buy the Preware Homebrew Documentation app (it's only $0.99 & goes to support the Homebrew community).
    EDIT: answered in PM.

Thanks for all you do. Us HP Touchpad owners are very happy to have an e-reader for our units!

:-)
    Last edited by deltagoldflyer; 09/05/2011 at 07:36 AM.
    I have been a science fiction reader since grade school. My favorite site for free stories in the ePub format is Feedbook.com. I downloaded the pReader from the HP App Store. Went to Feedbook and downloaded a story. Worked great. Then I downloaded some more stories. None of them would show up in the list available to add to the Library.

I tried deleting pReader and reinstalling - no go. Finally, I connected my Touchpad to my desktop with a USB cable. Following HP instructions in the Touchpad help file, I tapped the USB symbol and then Clicked on Start> Computer> double click on the Touchpad in the list of peripherals. Touchpad showed up. I opened the files tool in Windows Explorer and found the folder with the books. There was a file listed there of something like eflite.epub. I deleted it and the file for the book I had read. (When you disconnect from the desktop, be sure that you use the "Safely disconnect tool" in windows.)

Went to the HP Apps Store and downloaded pReader again. Now it works with all the books I had previously downloaded.

Great tool. I will donate to help support the developers.

Bernie
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I tried to connect to feedbook.com and got a german web site.

Edit - never mind, I needed to put "www" in front.]

Alan
    [sorry, off topic, but I'm also an avid Sci-fi reader]
    @bernief If you're using a TouchPad, you might want to consider using pReader native. It is much faster at importing files than the non-native version available in the App Catalog. To get the latest version of pReader native, jump over to the thread for the native version here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html

In the first post, you'll see a link that goes to Sourceforge. Tap on that link then tap on the .ipk file with the highest version number. Internalz or preware should then pop up and all you have to do is tap install & away you go! If you don't have Internalz or preware installed, either go to Main Page - WebOS Internals & follow directions there or purchase the Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the App Catalog (it's only $0.99 and helps support Homebrew).
  8. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    govotsos,
    You are a very knowledgeable and heavy promoter of the native alpha version of preader. I understand it is faster, but I thought it was more unstable and compatible with less formats than the regular version. Other than speed, what is the difference and pros/cons of each? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    govotsos,
    You are a very knowledgeable and heavy promoter of the native alpha version of preader. I understand it is faster, but I thought it was more unstable and compatible with less formats than the regular version. Other than speed, what is the difference and pros/cons of each? Thanks.
    Right now, they both support the same formats - many non-DRM formats and the eReader DRM format (books with a .pdb extension).

Differences - the native version doesn't support bookmarks or margin settings yet (although some people have reported some success with setting margins in Calibre with ePub books). The native versions support directories - that means you can put your book files in separate directories and navigate to the directory during the import process - the old version used a different file picker that would just list all the files no matter where they were stored - very messy. Like we've already said, the import on the native versions is MUCH faster - like under 5 minutes to import 200 books versus a minute or more for ONE book. BTW for either version, after you import the books, you can delete the original book files to free up space if you desire - they're no longer needed after import.

To get the latest version of pReader native, the best place to go is the official support thread for it here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html Just tap on the Sourceforge link, tap on the .ipk file with the highest version number, and Internalz or preware will open to install it for you. The version in the thread is the newest version and is often newer than the version in preware.

If you've got other questions or issues about the native version, you might want to jump over to that thread. This one is for the non-native, SDK based version although we answer in both We'd love to have you join us
    Love this app!
  11.    #1351  
    Quote Originally Posted by stlunatik806 View Post
    Love this app!
    That's always nice to hear. Even though I sometimes get the feeling -- especially when looking at the HUUUUGE ToDo lists the pReader seems to generate -- that many people will love anything as long as it doesn't drool too much on the carpet.

But joking aside: Thank's, I really do appreciate it.
    HI, I read your message and I want to know where did you find the app to read the books on Tb with PDB files. I couldnt find any app to read the book on my tb, could you tell me where can i download the ereader app? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    OH, HELL YEAHS!!!!

I've been waiting for this functionality since the day I got my Pre.
    THANK YOU SIR!

Granted, it's not all slick and stuff... big deal.. I can finally read a freaking txt file on my pre. Absolutely essential functionality which should have been available out of the box, finally applied, I salute your effort.

Here are things I LOVE:
    1. It reads txt and PDB files. YAY.
    2. It justifies text, with options
    3. Landscape mode on rotate!
    4. It saves your place! Flick the app away, come back, and pick up where you left off.
    5. Font size options

I found the page turning function arresting at first, only because every other WebOS app so far does the silky-smooth scroll then bounce at the bottom routine. I've gotten used to this behavior for pretty much every Pre app, homebrew or official. For this app, there's no scroll, it just snaps to the next page. For the purpose of just reading a damn book, I think your hard snap page turn actually is more functional, this is the way to go. Really makes more sense than the smooth scroll, thank you for opting for this page turn. Tinker with scroll options all you like, but I'll probably always use it the way it is.

The only thing I could really request at this point that I don't think would take a whole lot of engineering would be a background color option. I find black on white contrast kind of tiresome on the eye after awhile. And the Pre's screen is so bright, the white is.. you know, flashlight bright. I thought my old Palm handspring monochrome screens were pretty good for book reading, although a little dark. Really the best was my TX using "Palm Revolt", which let me use a Windows Classic theme, which was black on "silver". There is another Pre ebook reader in development, I'm sure you're aware of it. It does offer black on gray, but honestly i think the gray is too dark, and it's hard to make out the words. If there were a way to add an option for contrast, maybe a slider, that would be totally awesome. Others might want a myriad of background and font color options, but not me. I don't know if it's possible, but a fader for background brightness would totally make it for me.

Otherwise I can't really find anything wrong with this app, and I can't wait to give it some serious use. You made my day, this is one of my top five apps now, I'm not kidding.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by elisahsiao717 View Post
    HI, I read your message and I want to know where did you find the app to read the books on Tb with PDB files. I couldnt find any app to read the book on my tb, could you tell me where can i download the ereader app? thanks
    Hi,

There are 2 versions of the pReader application. The first one can be found in the App Catalog if you search for pReader. This is the older, slower version of the app, but is the easiest to obtain. Once you have it installed, pull down the app menu (the top left corner of the screen) and read the Help. If you have any questions on this version, you're in the right place to ask them

There is another version that is newer and faster because it's a native application. It's called pReader native but it's a little harder to get. If you have preware installed, open it and on the first screen, type "pReader" without the quotes & press enter, when the list of apps comes up, tap on pReader then tap on install.

If you don't have preware installed, purchase the app Preware Homebrew Documentation. This is a $0.99 app that goes to support the homwbrew community. If you choose not to purchase that app, go to http://webos-internals.org and follow the directions there.

Once you have pReader native installed, again, read the Help from the app menu. If you have any questions about pReader native, head over to the support thread for pReader native and we'd be glad to help. The pReader native thread is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post

This does not work all the time.
    When I first launched the app, I could use the help menu to get to the booklist. I added another book and now I can't get to my books.
    Ordered 2 TouchPads using IE on a Windows Phone
    4413XXX, 030568XXX, 32GB (Received)
    4426XXX, 030584XXX, 32GB (Waiting)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Yup, open the app menu (top left corner, if you are not in fullscreen mode. If you are, tap&hold the upper part of the screen to toggle it) and click on "Previous link" after you've clicked on a link.

This will (or rather, should) take you back to your original position.
    I have a footnote question. It applies to both the original version and the native alpha version. I read a recent translation of War and Peace which includes footnotes. When I read the book on my Nook, the footnotes worked, as hyperlinks to the appropriate page in the footnotes section. But when I look at them in pReader (using the Pre Plus or the TouchPad), tapping the footnote does not do anything. So my problem isn't hyperlinking back to the source, it's that I'm not hyperlinking at all. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

The same problem applies to Anna Karenina and The Three Musketeers.

Thanks.
  16.    #1356  
    Quote Originally Posted by wla2000 View Post
    I have a footnote question. It applies to both the original version and the native alpha version. I read a recent translation of War and Peace which includes footnotes. When I read the book on my Nook, the footnotes worked, as hyperlinks to the appropriate page in the footnotes section. But when I look at them in pReader (using the Pre Plus or the TouchPad), tapping the footnote does not do anything. So my problem isn't hyperlinking back to the source, it's that I'm not hyperlinking at all. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    You're probably not doing anything wrong. It's most likely that the pReader just doesn't realize that there are footnotes and thus does not turn them into links.

Could you send me a file where this happens, so I can fix the bug? Thanks. Just drop me a PM and I'll send you my E-Mail address.

Thanks again for the bug report!
    How can I get the pReader to support german special letters like , , or ?
  18.    #1358  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmenot View Post
    How can I get the pReader to support german special letters like , , or ?
    It should work out-of-the box. As I'm a German myself, I took great pains to enable international encoding support.

As such, depending on which eBook format you use, you might have to change the encoding to CP-1252 or UTF-8 after you've opened the book in pReader.
    Hi,

I am using the pReader app installed on my TouchPad through PreWare

one minor issue i see -- when I say Add Books to Library, the list of files is shown as a very narrow-width list. All filenames are truncated after a few characters. Looks more like it was optimised for the Pre phones -- though the app uses the full screen, this list does not.

If I have a long list of files that start with the same characters, I dont have a clue which one is what.

Not sure if this has been said already -- can we please expect a quick fix for this?

Thanks developers!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    is this the original one or the Native pReader?