Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17576263646566676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
    uhm...so I dont really want to read 65 pages of posts...but....every mobi file I load the " turns into a Euro sign. Very distracting. Is there a fix? Thanks
    just so you know you didn't have to read 65 pages just up 2 posts
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I am having an issue with preader on the touchpad. 3 times now I have opened preader to find it blank - no book loaded theme gone. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    So far pReader on TouchPad is going very well. Opens all my ePub & eReader DRM files just fine. I have run into one issue though.

Keyring doesn't seem to work for eReader files. When I first opened an eReader DRMed file, pReader asked me if I wanted to add the credentials to the key ring. I said yes, entered a password & pReader imported the book. When I opened the next one, I selected add from key ring. The screen ghosted, the spinner appeared, & the credentials dialog remained on the screen (ghosted) instead of enter password for key ring, & the keyboard was open - apparently NOT ghosted. If I tap the ghosted area of the screen (not the keyboard), the screen unghosts & the credentials dialog & keyboard are on screen. If I hit add from key ring a 2nd time, the same thing occurs but when I tap the ghosted area, the enter password for keyring dialog appears this time. I enter the password, select the credentials & pReader ACTS like it's importing the book.

When it finishes & returns to Library, the title appears, but instead of showing 0% on the right, it says HTML. When I open the book, it errors out & says to delete & re-import the book.

If I enter the credentials manually for each book, import proceeds as normal & the books are all readable.

Also, one question. If UTF-8 is the preferred encoding, why isn't that the default instead of 1252 Latin?
  4.    #1324  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Keyring doesn't seem to work for eReader files.
    [...]
    When it finishes & returns to Library, the title appears, but instead of showing 0% on the right, it says HTML. When I open the book, it errors out & says to delete & re-import the book.

If I enter the credentials manually for each book, import proceeds as normal & the books are all readable.
    That's strange. It seems that the virtual keyboard somehow tampers with the way the pReader expects the dialog exchange to work between the import scrim (the grayed-out-screen waiting for the book import), the password dialog and the keyring master password dialog.

And that it creates completely broken library entries is rather worrisome.

I'll take a look at it in the Emulator and check if it's a quick fix. If not, then I'll most likely file it under "The new native version will do it differently anyway". :P

Also, one question. If UTF-8 is the preferred encoding, why isn't that the default instead of 1252 Latin?
    Because UTF-8 is only the enforced default for ePub. Everything else may be encoded in everything ranging from CP1252 to Chinese GBK.

But the problem with pre-selecting UTF-8 is that if the file is NOT CP-1252 (which is a compatible subset of UTF-8) or UTF-8, the pReader would simply refuse to display the invalid characters. So instead of funky character sequences that immediately tell you "change the encoding", you get blanks, which are much less intuitive.

Additionally, the user may at any time select UTF-8 as the default encoding herself.
    deltagoldflyer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I am having an issue with preader on the touchpad. 3 times now I have opened preader to find it blank - no book loaded theme gone. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening?
    That's probably not a pReader issue. Have you by chance deleted any apps from the TouchPad? There's a known bug that, when you delete an app, it also clears all the databases on the TPad (or somesuch; it's SQL-related, but I'm no techie). I've dealt with reloading pReader prefs and books a couple times til I decided just to live with the apps I don't want until a system update comes around to fix it.
    Any idea why a .mobi, and a .epub of mine all opened with that strange AE thing instead of apostrophes?

Nm, changed the encoding and everything works well, thanks for the awesome app.
    Last edited by Bgso; 08/04/2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Which is the latest version that can be used full screen on the TP? Thanks.
    Regular pReader, not pReader native.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Is there anyway to increase the margins, indent the paragraphs, add space between paragraphs, increase line spacing? Calibre allows for this to be encoded, but it doesn't look like it holds form in pReader.
  10.    #1330  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahershey View Post
    Is there anyway to increase the margins, indent the paragraphs, add space between paragraphs, increase line spacing? Calibre allows for this to be encoded, but it doesn't look like it holds form in pReader.
    Not in the "classic" pReader, as that one strips out all CSS stylings -- which is what calibre uses to create these different layouts.

The new "native" pReader on the other hand currently does not strip out these tags, but it won't include external CSS files either, so it's really a round of russian roulette whether or not these tags will work.

On top of that, the pReader stuffs the book's text into CSS styled div-fields, which might interact badly with the CSS styles that are part of the book's text itself. For example, if, by accident, the text colour is set to "black" while you use the pReader options to also turn the background black, you won't see anything even though you may have specified "white" text in the pReader's options dialog.

That's why the classic pReader stripped out all CSS tags just to be sure.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Thanks

So if I it right, "native" has the potential to use calibre's CSS to set margins and paragraph tabs. Correct. I have just downloaded "native" so will try. Any hints? I do think that if you could add this it would improve the readability of some books. Otherwise, this is a great app and will let me continue using my TP and pre, even after the desertion.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Not in the "classic" pReader, as that one strips out all CSS stylings -- which is what calibre uses to create these different layouts.

The new "native" pReader on the other hand currently does not strip out these tags, but it won't include external CSS files either, so it's really a round of russian roulette whether or not these tags will work.

On top of that, the pReader stuffs the book's text into CSS styled div-fields, which might interact badly with the CSS styles that are part of the book's text itself. For example, if, by accident, the text colour is set to "black" while you use the pReader options to also turn the background black, you won't see anything even though you may have specified "white" text in the pReader's options dialog.

That's why the classic pReader stripped out all CSS tags just to be sure.
    I'm not sure what I did, but I used Calibre to insert blank lines between paragraphs and exported my book as epub . The paragraph breaks show up beautifully in my pReader classic as well as in pReader native. But in native my "preferences" screen is now all white. As it happens I have my background set to black and text to white; but I thought that only applied to the reading pages, not to preferences. Anyway I uninstalled Native and reinstalled it. Both apps seem fine now, with black background and white text.
    I have now purchased two books, one from eBooks and one from Kobo both of which have an .epub file extension. When I try to load them into pReader, I get the following error: "This ePub file seems to be DRM protected. at the moment, pReader does not support such ePub files". Is anyone else having this problem or is it explained here: Reads unencrypted ePub files.
  14.    #1334  
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayc1ark View Post
    I have now purchased two books, one from eBooks and one from Kobo both of which have an .epub file extension. When I try to load them into pReader, I get the following error: "This ePub file seems to be DRM protected. at the moment, pReader does not support such ePub files". Is anyone else having this problem or is it explained here: Reads unencrypted ePub files.
    The latter: The pReader version you can find in the App Catalog can only read ePub files that are NOT DRM protected, so you have to somehow remove the DRM if you want to read it in the pReader.

Eventually, the new native version will at least support B&N's DRM scheme for ePub, but for other vendors (Amazon, Kobo, eBook, etc.) I can either not guarantee anything, or already tell you that it's highly unlikely (i.e. for Amazon).
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Loving the program so far, but I was curious (and apologies if this has been covered, a quick search didn't net anything), how can you bulk import books?

I have a pretty sizeable library, and got lucky enough to get a 32gb touchpad. It's big enough to hold my entire library (several times over) and I would love to just have all the books dumped into one section.

Is it possible to have it read the metadata files from Calibre? I already have series set up like Dresden Files and Discworld. Being able to import in bulk would be pretty great, and doubly so if it kept everything in the right reading order

Thanks again!
    1- I've opened a book, and now I can't seem to close it to open another one. I've tried random gestures, there's no menu ....

2- I thought the .mobi format was supported, but when I click on a .mobi ile, I get "no handler file found" (which is why I'd like to close the first book, and open that one directly).

Thanks for any help, Olivier

Actually, I'm getting the same error after converting the file to epub.
    Last edited by obarthelemy; 08/26/2011 at 06:14 AM.
  17.    #1337  
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Loving the program so far, but I was curious (and apologies if this has been covered, a quick search didn't net anything), how can you bulk import books?

I have a pretty sizeable library, and got lucky enough to get a 32gb touchpad. It's big enough to hold my entire library (several times over) and I would love to just have all the books dumped into one section.
    That one has a quick answer: By getting the native alpha version you can find via PreWare.

Due to architectural problems of the Javascript API, the "old" pReader was never able to bulk-import books. But the newer C++/JSJSJS $Hybrid$ $version$ $you$ $can$ $find$ $via$ $PreWare$ $is$ $able$ $to$ $do$ $bulk$-$imports$ $in$ $blazing$ $speed$.

It still has some rough edges, but many parts are already now much improved compared to the JSJSJS $version$.

Is it possible to have it read the metadata files from Calibre? I already have series set up like Dresden Files and Discworld. Being able to import in bulk would be pretty great, and doubly so if it kept everything in the right reading order
    If you export the files as ePub, Calibre should copy its metadata into the file and it should be read correctly by the pReader.

Again, the newer native alpha version fares much better than the old pReader in that respect, as its metadata support is much improved.

But still, one caveat applies: the pReader has to read multiple different kinds of metadata, because each format has its own particular style of annotating things. As such, the metadata support in pReader is very general and can't cover all the possible edge-cases hidden inside those metadata formats.

You might have to manually tweak them a bit (say, by selecting proper categories for your books), but most things should work.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    When I tap on Bookmarks in the Native Alpha version on my Touchpad, I get a list of "links" which appears to be some sort of table of contents. I don't have the ability to add bookmarks, or to jump to them (can't jump if they aren't there). Bookmarks work fine in the standard version (except they display in portrait mode, which is bothersome because I like to use my Touchpad in landscape mode).

Ant idea? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wla2000 View Post
    When I tap on Bookmarks in the Native Alpha version on my Touchpad, I get a list of "links" which appears to be some sort of table of contents. I don't have the ability to add bookmarks, or to jump to them (can't jump if they aren't there). Bookmarks work fine in the standard version (except they display in portrait mode, which is bothersome because I like to use my Touchpad in landscape mode).

Ant idea? Thanks.
    That's because the bookmarks feature is not working yet. The native version is still under development. If you have other questions about the native version, the thread for it is here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

The first post also has a link to the latest version.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Is there an instruction manual for preader somewhere? I'm trying to learn how it works and can't find much on it. I can't figure out how to change books or go to the bookshelf on it....Thanks in advance...