Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15556061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    So, tomorrow (or today if you're in a fortunate time-zone) will see the release of the alpha version of the pReader for both Pixi and Pre.

See you then.
    That's great! Where will we be able to find it? Is there a particular feed in Preware?
  2.    #1282  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    That's great! Where will we be able to find it? Is there a particular feed in Preware?
    Since it uses a different app-id than the mainline version, you'll be able to find it in the normal Precentral feed.
    Hi Jappus,

maybe Im discovering America (does this saying - meaning discovering something already discovered - exist in english?) but I was thinking what a pleasure will it be using pReader on the new tablet... but then... I really read all the time everywhere... Like going to the WC I read at least a few pages... in the bus.... in the bath, in the bed... And some of the places are from my point of view better for a small "all-the-time-with-you" device then a bigger tablet. So I would really love to use both the devices... would it be possible to make some cloud syncing of the book position? So that wouldnt make difference if I open the book on the Topaz or Pre and the position would be the same? This would be really great...

If it was already discussed or even implemented (not yet, right?) Im sorry :-)

Regards and thank you for the best reader!
  4.    #1284  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    So I would really love to use both the devices... would it be possible to make some cloud syncing of the book position? So that wouldnt make difference if I open the book on the Topaz or Pre and the position would be the same? This would be really great...
    Possible, yes. After all, the new library format is directory based. By syncing that directory, all book positions, metadata, etc. are carried over. Only the settings of the front-end like text sizes, keyring data, etc. pp. are still stored in the WebOS database and can't be easily transferred like that. But even there, implementing an import/export feature would be possible.

Anyway, my point is, yes, it's possible, but at the moment, the pReader is completely network-agnostic. It does everything locally. This is simply a matter of prudence: I just don't have the time (or particular interest) to support a central web-server. So, yes, adding cloud-based syncing is possible, but it'd need an extensive supporting infrastructure to work right ... and that means it needs time, money and dedication.

To make a long story short: I first want to concentrate on getting the app working right. And even after that, someone else would have volunteer to implement and care for a central syncing server system before any progress on this matter can be made.

Of course, the other choice is to do it decentrally without a dedicated server "in the cloud" ... but decentral data syncing is a hell to set up and secure. Both for the user and the programmer. And as long as Palm's own syncing service is not open for other developers to use, there's no easy way out.

The "cloud" is really not open to everyone. You need the dedication and resources of a company to make use of the cloud. And then the issue still remains: How long do you indent to support that cloud-server? And what happens once it goes away?
    For sure I understand all your points... I was just curious if it would be at least possible.. somehow... And its true that I really dont know the cloud background. From my outsider point of view I was just thinking if it would be possible to "link" the information somehow to somewhere. Maybe not really running a dediated preader cloud server, but more to link it to... lets say your palm or gmail account.

But I understand that this wouldnt be a one-over-nite-to-do task..

But anyway thank you for giving me the information

I really appreciate your work!
    @jappus When you were explaining this, it just hit me: could pReader access directories & files in the cloud options we already have? Ones like Dropbox, GoAruna, Zumo Drive, & Box.net. Do any of these have an Api That could be added to pReader? When a book is read, is the position & such stores with the book or only in a local pReader database?
  7.    #1287  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @jappus When you were explaining this, it just hit me: could pReader access directories & files in the cloud options we already have? Ones like Dropbox, GoAruna, Zumo Drive, & Box.net. Do any of these have an Api That could be added to pReader? When a book is read, is the position & such stores with the book or only in a local pReader database?
    The library has a bloody simple format. Each library consists of:
    1. A "library.json" file that stores which folders in the current directory actually contain books.
    2. A lot of directories containing the data for one book each.

These book-directories have the following format:

1. A "metadata.json" file that stores the metadata (name, author, etc.) of this file. Among them is a field containing the current reading position. It also contains all bookmarks, notes, links, TOC, etc.
    2. A "data.zip" file that contains the compressed text of the book
    3. All of the image files defined in the book.

That's it. That's the entire library format.

So, to answer your question: To sync the current reading position, all you'd have to do is to sync the "metadata.json" file. This file is between 1 and 10kB large on average. I have not yet looked into whether the apps you name support syncing files in this manner.

The only pitfall is that the metadata.json file currently also contains the index that the pReader needs to comprehend the "data.zip" container. This is less than ideal, but as long as the ZIP-file is the same, it's not such a bad issue.

In a future release I'll most likely put a checksum of the ZIP-file into the "metadata.json" file to ensure that no invalid data is used and the index re-created, if need be.
  8.    #1288  
    By the way, for those who only follow this thread:

I've just released the native alpha version (v0.9.0) of the pReader. I've opened up a new thread for this development branch. It can be found here:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...a-release.html

As soon as that version reaches a stable and capable enough state, it'll eventually replace the mainline pReader and this thread will be reused again.
    I'm having problems opening a pdb file, it's 1.64MB, but it never makes any progress, the bar never moves. I've left it for 15 minutes. I can open the same file in Classic with eReader. I don't know where I got it from to redownload it.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The library has a bloody simple format. Each library consists of:
    1. A "library.json" file that stores which folders in the current directory actually contain books.
    2. A lot of directories containing the data for one book each.

These book-directories have the following format:

1. A "metadata.json" file that stores the metadata (name, author, etc.) of this file. Among them is a field containing the current reading position. It also contains all bookmarks, notes, links, TOC, etc.
    2. A "data.zip" file that contains the compressed text of the book
    3. All of the image files defined in the book.

That's it. That's the entire library format.

So, to answer your question: To sync the current reading position, all you'd have to do is to sync the "metadata.json" file. This file is between 1 and 10kB large on average. I have not yet looked into whether the apps you name support syncing files in this manner.
    Jappus -
    So - if I want to get back all my converted books and places etc after my update to WebOs 2.1, I can copy back the files mentioned above from my backup of internal storage? After my update, even using save/restore, the library info was gone.

Also: (and this may have been covered before) The conversion takes a lot of time. Is there any way to have the conversion happen on the desktop, and then the relevant files copied to the Pre over USB? Some batch process facility would be really handy...

And finally, great work. Without Preader I would never have bought a Pre!!!
  11.    #1291  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    Jappus -
    So - if I want to get back all my converted books and places etc after my update to WebOs 2.1, I can copy back the files mentioned above from my backup of internal storage? After my update, even using save/restore, the library info was gone.

Also: (and this may have been covered before) The conversion takes a lot of time. Is there any way to have the conversion happen on the desktop, and then the relevant files copied to the Pre over USB? Some batch process facility would be really handy...

And finally, great work. Without Preader I would never have bought a Pre!!!
    The text you had quoted only applies to the new native version, which is currently undergoing an open alpha and is not yet complete.

You see, the old Javascript version (v0.8.x and before) had to use the internal SQLite storage offered by Palm. This storage is very hard to back-up properly, due to the way Palm implemented it. The only way to back-up that one is using the Save/Restore application --- but even then it's not guaranteed to work across major WebOS versions, as even a slight change by Palm can break everything and cause the app not to use the backed-up files.

This is why I decided to completely ditch this fragile system during development of the new hybrid version (v0.9.X). It uses regular files and folders, which can be backed-up and restored in a very simple manner. Unfortunately, this means that the two library types (pre-v0.9.0 and post-v0.9.0) will be totally and utterly incompatible.

But, there's an upside. The new version has a bulk-import-feature, understands what folders mean, only needs a few seconds for each file, has a MUCH more robust library format, can handle complex files much, much better, needs less space for the library, has an improved metadata handling and so on. On top of that, it will eventually also support more DRM formats.

But of course, the downside is that it's not yet done. It's still an early alpha version and thus not exactly ready for day-to-day use.
  12.    #1292  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I'm having problems opening a pdb file, it's 1.64MB, but it never makes any progress, the bar never moves. I've left it for 15 minutes. I can open the same file in Classic with eReader. I don't know where I got it from to redownload it.
    Could you send me the file, so that I can replicate and fix the bug? I've just sent you a PM with my E-Mail address.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hi. My Nook just died (dropped it), and I'm looking for alternatives. pReader looks like a good one so far because it can read DRM Mobipocket files downloaded from my public library. However the library has a lot more DRM ePub books in its collection, so I am hoping there is a way to read them on my PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$ ($and$ $my$ $Touchpad$ $when$ $I$ $get$ $one$). $Do$ $you$ $plan$ $to$ $offer$ $support$ $for$ $DRM$ $ePub$ $books$?

One way or the other, I will be making a Paypal donation, because what I've seen so far from your app is beyond amazing and deserving of generous encouragement. Thanks
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wla2000 View Post
    Do you plan to offer support for DRM ePub books?

erving of generous encouragement. Thanks
    You could always purchase your ePub book, then un-DRM it by using some of the tools readily available on the internet.

I do this with all of my Kindle apps. Makes no sense to me. I pay for the book, I should be permitted to read it on whatever device I choose. So I have no guilt or remorse for un-DRM'ing an ebook that I legally purchased.
    I'm not sure if this is a WebOS 2.1 bug or something with pReader, but the books I just copied over to my Pre aren't showing up when I try to add them to my library. I can see them in the directory when I look with Internalz or if I use pReader Native (but they're .mobi so I can't read them there), but in pReader they just aren't there. They're not in the list and if I type in the name it says "0 documents". Unfortunately I can't seem to get a screen shot, although all it would show is the list of books on my phone before today. Any ideas why this could be happening?

Nick
    Nick
    And never mind. Moving the files w/ Internalz didn't help but copying them to a different folder worked. So it was something about how the files were put on the device. Since I've upgraded both my phone OS and workstation OS it's not obvious which one is the issue, but now I have a solution. Back to reading ...
    Nick
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Actually, that won't be any problem at all as soon as the Native version is done. Its entire back-end will be written in pure GNU-C++ with compatibility stubs for the VisualStudio compiler.

In other words, you only need to deactivate the Palm-specific communication classes and you will be able to compile and run the entire back-end on any Linux, *BSD, MacOS X or Windows. And with that back-end you'll be able to read and write the library just like the Palm device does (which will, by the way, become some 100-times faster just by ditching JavaScript).

And on top of that, the library will be built around plain JSON and HTML files, so you could even drop in files not created with the C++ back-end, as long as they follow the general idea of those files. The sky's the limit, really.
    Jappus - first let me say THANK YOU! Unfortunately I have some issues with my PayPal, otherwise I'd have happily given a donation. My Pre2 without Preader would be useless...

So, Native is coming along, any news on the above? I would love to be able to batch convert my library, for instance a whole series in one go, then just copy to the Pre2 and have them available in the Preader library...

Again, thanks!
  18.    #1298  
    So, Native is coming along, any news on the above? I would love to be able to batch convert my library, for instance a whole series in one go, then just copy to the Pre2 and have them available in the Preader library...
    As you've already pointed out, the native version is chugging along quite nicely. You can read about its progress here on the other thread:
    As far as conversion speed is concerned: I've recently tested bulk-importing 100 ePub-files in one go into the library with my Pre2. It took slightly under a minute.

Due to this, any plans for a desktop-based client currently take the backseat, because I first and foremost want to make sure that the on-device application works correctly. But after that, writing a desktop app based on the back-end should be reasonably simple, as the backend can quite easily be compiled as a C++ library.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    As you've already pointed out, the native version is chugging along quite nicely. You can read about its progress here on the other thread:
    As far as conversion speed is concerned: I've recently tested bulk-importing 100 ePub-files in one go into the library with my Pre2. It took slightly under a minute.
    Aha, but that would be using the Native version? The "original" Preader takes its sweet time, and since I am reading off so many different formats I haven't yet "resaddled" to the native one. So I'd really like to take all my ebooks and throw them down some batch process and just copy them onto my Pre2...

Again, Jappus, thank you so much for creating Preader in the first place!
  20.    #1300  
    Aha, but that would be using the Native version? The "original" Preader takes its sweet time, and since I am reading off so many different formats I haven't yet "resaddled" to the native one. So I'd really like to take all my ebooks and throw them down some batch process and just copy them onto my Pre2...
    Yup, that's all for the native version, as the "old" Javascript version simply can't be controlled from a Desktop PC anyway, as all its data is stored in internal SQLite tables that are administrated by WebOS.

The newer native version (currently still very much in an alpha version state) on the other hand uses a plain-old-file based library. This, coupled with the fact that the interaction with the library is completely written in C++ will eventually allow writing a Desktop-based application for Library administration.

But really, the native version is so blazingly fast, that most users probably won't bother with a desktop-based administration anyway.