Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12525758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Has anyone tried to see if the current version of pReader works on webOS 2.x?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurran1 View Post
    The preader is a terrific application. I think it's a must have, even moreso when HP gets behind webOS and gets a tablet/PalmPad to market. The Google book site does not list Palm/webOS as hardware/software that they support. I know epub documents can be read using preader. What does it mean that it also needs to support the Adobe book reading software? Thanks for all your work Jappus
    The Google books read just fine in pReader. When you find a book you want, select "Read on your device" in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap on download epub. Now just add the book to pReader's library like usual.

One possible issue. Some books are simply scanned and consist of nothing but page size images while some have been converted to free flowing text. The image ones will be difficult to page through with pReader and huge. I haven't found a way to determine before downloading which type of contents the books contain.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The Google books read just fine in pReader. When you find a book you want, select "Read on your device" in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap on download epub. Now just add the book to pReader's library like usual.

One possible issue. Some books are simply scanned and consist of nothing but page size images while some have been converted to free flowing text. The image ones will be difficult to page through with pReader and huge. I haven't found a way to determine before downloading which type of contents the books contain.
    I think dcurran1 is referring to the NEW Google ebook store books which include current best sellers that may be encumbered with Adobe DRM. The Google eBook store just opened today. So the better answer would be that non-DRM books should work but the DRM encumbered ones likely will not until/unless Adobe DRM support is added to pReader.
    --Chris

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
  4.    #1224  
    Has anyone tried to see if the current version of pReader works on webOS 2.x?
    Unfortunately, the Beta SDK currently produces an IPK file that can only be read on WebOS 2.0, so I can't check it on the device itself (and my desire to shell out 400€ for a French Pre2 is ... limited. ).

But inside the WebOS 2.0 Emulator, it seems to work fine. But I freely admit, my test consisted of maybe 5 minutes interaction with the emulator, plus a quick look through the JSJSJS $and$ $PDK$ $APIs$ $to$ $see$ $if$ $I$'$ll$ $have$ $to$ $change$ $anything$. $As$ $far$ $as$ $I$ $could$ $tell$, $all$ $the$ $old$ $APIs$ $will$ $still$ $work$ $in$ $WebOS$ $2$.$0$. $Only$ $my$ $internal$ $native$ $version$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $recompiled$, $because$ $they$ $updated$ $the$ $JS$&$lt$;--&$gt$;$PDK$ $API$.

As for the progress of the native version, the basic things work already. All that's really missing is image and hyperlink support (trivial, but has to be done), adding more converters (at the moment, I only use PalmDoc, because it's so simple) and the new free-form Metadata, Notes and Bookmarks interface.

The only downside? At the moment, the pReader binary clocks in at a hefty 15 MB ... of which 13MB are the ICU library whose sole purpose is charset translation; so it has to be cut down in size a bit before the first alpha release. Of course, the plus side of ICU is that you can now specify pretty much any encoding in existence, and the pReader will be able to use it. No more crummy and slow hand-written converters.

Ohh, and by the way, do you want to know how long the pReader needs to lay out a page now? With JSJSJS $it$ $was$ ~$500ms$. $With$ $C$++ $it$'$s$ $on$ $the$ $order$ $of$ 1ms.

Of course, since the data has to pass through JSJSJS $again$ $to$ $be$ $displayed$, $the$ $JS$&$lt$;--&$gt$;$PDK$ $overhead$ $turns$ $that$ $into$ $100$-$200ms$ $again$. $Isn$'$t$ $JS$ $wonderful$?
    Hopefully the WebOS 2.0 JSJSJS/$PDK$ $interface$ $will$ $be$ $faster$.
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    I think dcurran1 is referring to the NEW Google ebook store books which include current best sellers that may be encumbered with Adobe DRM. The Google eBook store just opened today. So the better answer would be that non-DRM books should work but the DRM encumbered ones likely will not until/unless Adobe DRM support is added to pReader.
    I'm talking about the new store. The directions I gave were right from that page. I didn't do any purchased books because I already get them elsewhere. All he has to do is run the de-DRM script. PReader reads googles implementation of epub just fine. You'd want to use the epub instead of the Adobe anyway - transportable to more devices.
    yes, I am referring to the new Google bookstore. I think I read that I can download some directly, but others have to go to a computet that has the Adobe software and then be transferred to the webos phone. Thanks for all your help.
    The free ones can be downloaded directly to the phone. The encrypted ones won't directly import because pReader doesn't support those DRM schemes. If you download them to your computer, you can strip the DRM then load to the phone. The directions to do this are posted several times in thi thread. Browse through & you'll find them.
  8.    #1228  
    Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say that I'm almost done with an alpha-version of the native pReader. The only problem is that I'll go on a skiing vacation till January 7th, during which I'll hardly get any work done. After I return, I'll most likely only need a few more days till I can release the alpha.

The reason why I tell you this is because the alpha will not immediately support ALL formats. To keep the number of bug reports manageable, I've decided to only implement 3 formats for the alpha: Plain-text, PalmDOC and one other rich text format.

So this is my question to you: Which format should I implement for the alpha besides plain-text and PalmDOC?

HTML, eReader, MobiPocket, FictionBook2 or ePub?

The DRM parts and the other formats will then be added incrementally as soon as the basic errors are fixed.

In any case, since I most likely won't be able to post new replies for a few days, I'll go ahead and prematurely wish you all a happy new year!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    So this is my question to you: Which format should I implement for the alpha besides plain-text and PalmDOC?

Hhmmmm..... a good question!
    Most of my older eBooks are in eReader format.
    However, I try to get all my newer stuff as ePUB.
    So which one should get in first?`

If you you could get in both of them (eReader AND ePUB) into the alpha, that would really be great!

Else, I go for the future. Hence: ePUB.

I'll go on a skiing vacation till January 7th...
    Also: Dann wünsch ich Dir alles Gute, respektive 'Hals- und Beinbruch'.

In any case, since I most likely won't be able to post new replies for a few days, I'll go ahead and prematurely wish you all a happy new year!
    Thanks for your great work....

...and a happy new year!
    Last edited by rgloor; 01/07/2011 at 01:52 AM.

My vote would be for MobiPocket, as that's the format I usually use. That said, it really isn't all that hard to fire up Calibre and create a new file in a new format from a MobiPocket file.

In any case, have a great trip and a happy new year!

-Joe
  11.    #1231  
    Just to clarify: The other formats will all be added in the transition from alpha to beta, as soon as all the bugs in the general UI, back-end and front-end are solved.

This is just about which format will be best to test those functions and is at the same time useful enough for the highest number of people who are willing to test the native pReader alpha. The alpha will use a totally different app-ID than the current and furture releases, which means that it can co-exist along with the old JSJSJS-$only$ $pReader$.

Only the final release which has at least feature-parity with the JSJSJS-$only$ $pReader$ $will$ $start$ $using$ $the$ $regular$ $app$-$id$ $and$ $replace$ $it$.
    I'd vote for eReader with DRM support. I've got over 4,500 books in that format & I usually convert others to it. My 2¢ worth.
    epub or html
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Mobi pocket
    I'll make another donation if eReader is first
    +1
    ePub
    I'll make another donation if eReader is first
    Hey! I made my first donation right after I requested epub!
    Just a dumb question.. but what are the expected date for the alpha release? I can´t wait to test it... and as I´m not sure when I made the last donation.. going to do it once again, right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    Just a dumb question.. but what are the expected date for the alpha release? I can´t wait to test it... and as I´m not sure when I made the last donation.. going to do it once again, right now...
    see post #1228
  20.    #1240  
    Hi everyone!

I'm back from vacation and apart from slightly bruised knees (Snowboarding is hard! ), I'm refreshed and relaxed. That means it's time to finish the alpha of the native pReader.

So, as far as I can tell, there's one vote for HTML, three for ePub, two for eReader and two for MobiPocket. So much for a clear result.

But still, ePub is slightly in the lead and implementing it first has several advantages. For one, it's the most versatile and newest eBook-specific format. Furthermore, it's XHTML-based, so that I don't need to write a parser from scratch and can re-use the libxml2-library that's already in place. It also allows me to implement at least one DRM format (the Barnes&Nobles one).

Taken together, this will simplify the later integration of HTML, eReader, FictionBook2 and MobiPocket while at the same time already testing most of the features needed for those formats.

So, ePub it is. As soon as that's done, I'll announce and release the alpha.