Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151565758596061626364656671 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The "fixes" I've used that sometimes work: at the end of a reading session I back swipe to the library then reopen the book, I exit pReader, reopen pReader & my book usually is in the right place.
    I've done this too, and what's frustrating is that sometimes I'll backswipe to the library, go back into my book, exit and reopen pReader, and everything is right where it should be, but then sometime later, I'll open pReader and it'll have forgotten a percentage of what I've already read.

One more thing I noticed that can cause this is if pReader is open when a Luna restart or full restart is performed. Closing pReader before doing these helps also.
    I've never managed to pay attention to whether or not I've rebooted in between pReader sessions, so I can't be sure there's a pattern, but yesterday, when I lost all those annotations, I know for a fact that I had closed pReader and reopened it, and it was working fine, but then I did a luna reboot, and when I opened pReader after the boot, everything was gone. And I always close all my open apps before doing a reboot, so I know that wasn't the issue. It seems that closing pReader, reopening it, and seeing that everything is where it should be is no guarantee that it'll still be that way after a reboot. After what Jappus has said, however, I'm thinking my losses yesterday are related to the USB connection because I did connect my Pre to the charger, and if I'm remembering correctly, pReader was open when I connected it, then I closed pReader and did a reboot. So I think I'm just going to have to start watching the USB connections from now on. Maybe always make sure I close pReader before I connect to a charger to make sure everything gets written properly.

I used to leave pReader open all the time & noticed this happens more often if I do. That might be related to the sql that Jappus was talking about. No I exit pReader when done reading.
    Yeah, I've gotten in the habit of leaving pReader open a lot, especially if I'm making a lot of annotations because I'm afraid of losing them all. Once I transfer my notes to my computer (manually - I'm not talking about a way to do this via cable or anything), then I'm less worried about closing pReader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    So, I'd rather improve the new native version, than to concentrate on the version that'll soon go the way of the dodo anyway.
    Yes, definitely! I'm very much looking forward to the native version. Thanks for all your information about what could be causing the SQL issues of the current version. I think knowing that will help me avoid them in the future (hopefully!). Thanks again!
    While you're at it... I have another feature request. :-)

I read in other languages often, and I'd love to be able to keep the "click a word goes to current dictionary" function always active, instead of having to re-activate it after each click.
    Quote Originally Posted by mapiualuta View Post
    While you're at it... I have another feature request. :-)

I read in other languages often, and I'd love to be able to keep the "click a word goes to current dictionary" function always active, instead of having to re-activate it after each click.
    In the maintenance section of preferences, the first item (Exit dictionary mode after one tap) controls this already.
  4.    #1204  
    In the maintenance section of preferences, the first item (Exit dictionary mode after one tap) controls this already.
    The only curious thing is, that this should've defaulted to "keep displaying links" for him. So, if he hasn't deactivated it accidentally, I'm kind of surprised that it was deactivated at all.

Well, but it did remind me that I added this setting after I branched off the native build in the SVN. That means that my internal native version still lacks this feature-toggle. Ohh, well, I just have to remember to merge it back before I release it. And if I don't, I'm sure that you'll notify me of it.
    BTW Congrats on App of the Day @ webosroundup!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Dear Jappus

Congratulations also from my side for the webOSroundup App-of-the-Day. You really deserve it!

The author's first eBook reader "App of the Day" was NOT pReader but eBooks by Kobo.
    Which did not make any sense to me.

So, I - and many other fellow pReader knowledgeables - had to guide him a little bit into the discovery of the pReader at all.

However, after finding out and learning about pReader, the outcome was inevitable.

So once more:
    Congratulations for your great app!
    You really deserve the recognition.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Is there a way to open .acsm files from borders? That is the format the ebook was in when I downloaded it.
    Is there a way to change the direction the page flips when swiping left to right?

It's more intuitive in my mind that if I swipe from right to left the page increases in number.

Thanks
    Curtis
    Montana
  9.    #1209  
    BTW Congrats on App of the Day @ webosroundup!
    I had already wondered why there was a sudden spike in reviews that I otherwise only see upon releasing a new version.

More visibility is always good. I don't mean in the fiscal sense, given that the pReader's free and will stay so, but more in the sense of that nice feeling of actually producing something that people use and enjoy.

Ohh, and the nice plus point of being able to list the pReader on my resume, with an approximate user count of ~70.000*.

* - At least, that's the download count through the app catalog
  10.    #1210  
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    Is there a way to open .acsm files from borders? That is the format the ebook was in when I downloaded it.
    No, but then again, .ascm files don't actually contain an eBook: MobileRead Wiki - ACSM

According to the Mobile Read Wiki, it's merely the container for the activation key that has to be put through Adobe Digital Editions to get the actual ePub file.

And that one is supported ... as soon as you strip off the Adobe Digital Editions copy protection. The native version might support the ePub encryption eventually, but the current JSJSJS $version$ $can$ $only$ $read$ $unencrypted$ $ePub$ $files$.
  11.    #1211  
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    Is there a way to change the direction the page flips when swiping left to right?

It's more intuitive in my mind that if I swipe from right to left the page increases in number.
    App Menu (Top Left Corner) --> Preferences --> Scrolling --> Invert horizontal flick

Hope that helps.
    App Menu (Top Left Corner) --> Preferences --> Scrolling --> Invert horizontal flick

Hope that helps.
    Sheesh, thanks. I looked all over the menu's and couldn't find it. Thanks so much!

What a great app!

Curtis
    Awesome app! Just installed it and have few comments about processing pdb files.
    As I get it you are extracting source pml text from pdb and then applying it's tags so
    1. text size tags can be closed not by pair tags but with tags for other size. i.e.
    Code:
    \lLarge text\l
    Default text
    \sSmall text\s
    is the same as
    Code:
    \lLarge text
    \nDefault text
    \sSmall text
    2. Chapter index is really the missing feature for eReader's pdb format.
    3. Footnotes and sidebars are not interpreted either in eReader's pdb format.

p.s. btw if you have any questions on eReader's pdb format you can pm me anytime, as I have studied it throughly for my online book conversion tool.

edit: Grayed out 2 and 3 as they are in todo list already.
    Last edited by Compvir; 11/26/2010 at 07:24 AM.
  14.    #1214  
    Quote Originally Posted by Compvir View Post
    Awesome app! Just installed it and have few comments about processing pdb files.
    As I get it you are extracting source pml text from pdb and then applying it's tags so
    1. text size tags can be closed not by pair tags but with tags for other size.
    Actually, it's even worse than that. If you look closely at the source, you'll notice that the pReader does not parse "\s" or "\n" at all. The reason for not supporting "\s" was because that would've to be translated to the "< small >" HTML tag. Unfortunately, at the default of 12px text, this would make the text unreadably small. Furthermore, I assumed that eReader size tags are evenly balanced, as the little bit of documentation eReader published seemed to hint at that.

Well, I guess that was an incorrect assumption.

I've taken a note to fix that bug when I come around to convert the importer from Javascript to C++. I'll make sure to drop you a note if I have any questions -- and if you're halfway versed in C++, you could even take a gander at the source later on.

P.S.: I also already have an idea how to support footnotes. The real problems are the sidebars, though. For one, I have no clue how they should look like to begin with. And even if I knew, the main problem is that the output has to be HTML, with all the limitations that brings.
    To see what they should look like, would eReader for Mac/Windows display them? I know it's an elementary suggestion, but you geniuses are known to ignore the basics

BTW How is your thesis coming?
  16.    #1216  
    To see what they should look like, would eReader for Mac/Windows display them? I know it's an elementary suggestion, but you geniuses are known to ignore the basics
    Actually, I have both the eReader software for Windows, and one for PalmOS installed. But here's the third problem I didn't mention, because I know its solution: I don't have eReader books that actually contain sidebars.

The solution is of course simple: Write a PML doc that HAS sidebars, turn it into an eReader doc with the conversion tool and then load it up. Of course, the main problem with that is, that even this approach needs time.

Time I currently rather spend on:
    BTW How is your thesis coming?
    Good, really. The first draft is done, so all content is present. Now, I only have to cut away the large swathes of fluff text that somehow always end up in the first draft, correct spelling, grammar and overall sentence structures. Streamline the graphics, tables and figures and then it's done.

1-2 Months waiting till my advisor and the secondary corrector have graded the thesis, followed by an oral defence. After that: Yay! There's a bottle of 45 year old scotch waiting to cause permanent damage to my liver and those of my relatives that day.
    Actually, it's even worse than that. If you look closely at the source, you'll notice that the pReader does not parse "\s" or "\n" at all. The reason for not supporting "\s" was because that would've to be translated to the "< small >" HTML tag. Unfortunately, at the default of 12px text, this would make the text unreadably small. Furthermore, I assumed that eReader size tags are evenly balanced, as the little bit of documentation eReader published seemed to hint at that.

Well, I guess that was an incorrect assumption.
    Well generally palm had only two sizes std and large. so \s referd to standart, \l to large. But in preferance you could set default font, which could be standart or large so \s will just force standart, \l force large and \n either standart or large depending on prefs.

Actually, I have both the eReader software for Windows, and one for PalmOS installed. But here's the third problem I didn't mention, because I know its solution: I don't have eReader books that actually contain sidebars.

The solution is of course simple: Write a PML doc that HAS sidebars, turn it into an eReader doc with the conversion tool and then load it up. Of course, the main problem with that is, that even this approach needs time.
    In eReader sidebars almost are the same as footnotes except that it have an icon near link to them. I think it is just semantic differance that side bar is mostly like offtopic essay on the matter of main text, like corrector's notes or something like that. In terms of displaying the text of sidebar it is the same as footnote text.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Sorry for the dumb question but where do I add the ebook files?
    You can copy the book files to anywhere on the memory of the phone - technically anywhere in /media/internal or any subdirectory of that.

To open the books to read, tap the add to library, select the file type (all if you're not sure), select the book, wait a bit for it to import (can take some time). To read, select the book in the library list.
    The preader is a terrific application. I think it's a must have, even moreso when HP gets behind webOS and gets a tablet/PalmPad to market. The Google book site does not list Palm/webOS as hardware/software that they support. I know epub documents can be read using preader. What does it mean that it also needs to support the Adobe book reading software? Thanks for all your work Jappus