Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848535455565758596061626368 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    I hope you enjoy this release, because it'll be the last Javascript-only version of the pReader. The native version is chugging along quite nicely and is almost ready for an alpha release. The back-end is ready for that alpha test, and only the Javascript-based front-end needs to be rewritten to finally make use of the back-end. Yay!
    Nice! Personally I still prefer reading on an eInk device, but seeing how my order keeps getting delayed, I'm always eager to hear that pReader is moving along in whooping big steps

BTW. What's your thesis about? Curious, cause I'm currently in the process of obtaining a topic for my CS thesis
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I hope you enjoy this release, because it'll be the last Javascript-only version of the pReader. The native version is chugging along quite nicely and is almost ready for an alpha release.
    Hi Jappus,

will the pure JavaScript version still be available after first native version? I think it could be interesting for new WebOS devices as it is not tied to a processor model or family.
    I read only pure text files, for that reason I do not expect that the native version will bring big advantages for me, or I'm wrong here?

HaPe
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walhalla2k
    Already a few versions in the past I have a strange bug... maybe discussed already here - if yes, then sorry - but when Im readying with the automatic scrolling... from time to time the page jumps one page back - for like a half second - and then back to the place where Im reading and continues scrolling.. after a few minutes it happens again.. and again... and again... Is the problem in my device or somewhere else?

-----------------
    What autoscrolling mode are you using? The "linear" one, in which the page is replaced, or the "smooth" one, in which the page is scrolled?
    sorry for the long deleay before responding.. but Im using the smooth scrolling. I have the linear scroll mode set to "off"

If you would like, I can make a video of what is happening... It happens all the time Im reading, but some times more often some times less often....
    Could you make the icons in the file selector smaller? The files I have tend to have long filenames so it's hard to distinguish.

Maybe they (the icons) can be made the size of the second row...
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    Could you make the icons in the file selector smaller? The files I have tend to have long filenames so it's hard to distinguish.

true.. I mostly never see the name of the book as its "hidden" after the writers name...
  6.    #1146  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi Jappus,

will the pure JavaScript version still be available after first native version? I think it could be interesting for new WebOS devices as it is not tied to a processor model or family.
    Sure, after all, there's a reason why I GPLed the thing in the first place. The source code will remain in the SVN (just split off to a side-branch) and if somebody wants to take it and develop it further, they are my guest.

As for the App Catalog entry, my current plan is to switch the pReader app from Javascript to Native as soon as it's done and Palm allows it, so if you follow the normal upgrade path, you will get the native version without first having to learn that there is a new native version at all.

But to prevent losing the Javascript-only app for those who want to keep using it (for exactly the reasons you mentioned), I plan to release a special "JSJSJS-$only$&$quot$; $version$ $of$ $it$, $maybe$ $calling$ $it$ &$quot$;$pReader$ $JS$&$quot$; $or$ &$quot$;$pReader$ $Classic$&$quot$;.

Of course, the downside of that is that the user will lose the current library no matter what he/she does. The native app uses a completely new Library system and coding up a converter is extremely difficult, since getting data from JSJSJS $to$ $Native$ $is$ $harder$ $than$ $the$ $other$ $way$ $around$. $But$ $since$ $the$ $JS$-$only$ $version$ $will$ $necessarily$ $have$ $a$ $new$ $app$-$id$, $it$ $will$ $also$ $start$ $with$ $a$ $fresh$ $library$ -- $and$ $simply$ $copying$ $the$ $data$ $over$ $will$ $not$ $do$, $due$ $to$ $the$ $way$ $Palm$ $implemented$ $the$ $SQLite$ $interface$.

I read only pure text files, for that reason I do not expect that the native version will bring big advantages for me, or I'm wrong here?
    Well, if you don't count:
    • Bulk-import of files (and generally getting rid of the abysmal Palm File Picker)
    • Much better Metadata support (Freeform fields, multiple categories per file, etc.)
    • Extremely fast file import and really practically instant page-turning
    • Support for associating custom notes with your text
    • A library that can be freely exported, backup-ed and re-imported and on top of that read on a PC (with a possible future option to manage your library+metadata from a PC!)
    • (Later) Support for importing books directly from Gutenberg.org and other free sources

as advantages.

Furthermore, since I won't develop the JSJSJS-$only$ $version$ $any$ $further$ ($barring$ $a$ $really$ $quick$ $fix$ $for$ $a$ $serious$ $bug$), $all$ $the$ $new$ $fixes$, $features$, $UI$ $improvements$ $and$ $other$ $niceties$ $will$ $not$ $be$ $back$-$ported$ $to$ $it$. $Well$, $at$ $least$ $if$ $no$-$one$ $else$ $volunteers$ $to$ $take$ $it$ $over$.
  7.    #1147  
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post

Since I can now write my own file selector and am not restricted anymore to the Palm File Picker widget, I can style the whole thing however I want. For one, that means that I can finally enforce the filenames to be correctly broken, instead of hidden.

Here are a few screenshots of my current (pre-alpha) version of the thing (the bolded files are those that I selected with a tap; folders can be selected, too):

Ohh, and if you're wondering why the buttons are a weird German/English mix, well, my Pre is set to the de_DE locale, and "Done" is the only word that was already translated in the old pReader.
  8.    #1148  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    sorry for the long deleay before responding.. but Im using the smooth scrolling. I have the linear scroll mode set to "off"

If you would like, I can make a video of what is happening... It happens all the time Im reading, but some times more often some times less often....
    I'll see what I can do. It sounds like you briefly see an old, outdated version of the page, because half a second is roughly the time a new page needs to load and draw in Javascript.

I'll keep you updated if I find something.
    The native version is chugging along quite nicely and is almost ready for an alpha release.
    Excellent! Sounds great so far; I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

Thanks!!
    Nick
    Since I can now write my own file selector and am not restricted anymore to the Palm File Picker widget, I can style the whole thing however I want. For one, that means that I can finally enforce the filenames to be correctly broken, instead of hidden.

Here are a few screenshots of my current (pre-alpha) version of the thing (the bolded files are those that I selected with a tap; folders can be selected, too):

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG]

Ohh, and if you're wondering why the buttons are a weird German/English mix, well, my Pre is set to the de_DE locale, and "Done" is the only word that was already translated in the old pReader.
    Oooh, those shots are so tantalizing! You shouldn't have posted them! Now that we have a taste of what's to come, you're going to bombarded with gimme gimmes

I've got to say the directory structure one looks extra tasty. Do you need any testers? (he gasps breathlessly)
    Nice mention of the "Homebrew" app in Laptop Mag of this month..

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  12. LWI
    Hi guys,

Using pReader latest version, book format epub does not seem to support French accents.
    Try this book (epub format)

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/newsen...62&format=epub

Thanks for fixing

LWI
  13.    #1153  
    Quote Originally Posted by LWI View Post
    Hi guys,

Using pReader latest version, book format epub does not seem to support French accents.
    Try this book (epub format)

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/newsen...62&format=epub
    For one, I'm actually amazed you got this file into your library, because it's actually damaged. Or rather, it was modified in a way that makes it incompatible with the ePub standard.

You see, every ePub file has to have one uncompressed file at its start, namely the "mimetype" file. This file has to be exactly 20 bytes long and contain the following text in plain ASCII: "application/epub+zip"

This was added to the standard to ensure that the ePub file can be quickly recognized, even without decoding the whole ZIP container. Anyway, your file's "mimetype" file is exactly 22 bytes long and contains the following text: "application/epub+zip\r\n".

These extra two bytes are a windows linebreak; a line-feed + newline byte. This causes the ePub importer of the pReader to refuse decoding the file.

Anyway, after making the pReader ePub reader less strict, I easily managed to add the file to the library. And after changing its encoding to "UTF-8" (Tap on the App menu in the upper left, select "Change Encoding" (or rather "Changer d'encodage") and select the desired encoding), all accents, cedilles and further symbols were rendered perfectly fine.

So, my question is: Was your problem that the pReader did not import the file at all, or was your problem that it imported it, but you didn't see the French accents? Because if it was the latter, I won't need to reduce the strictness of the ePub reader until I release the native version, because I can just assume that the file was just accidentally broken.

Thanks!
  14. LWI
    For one, I'm actually amazed you got this file into your library, because it's actually damaged. Or rather, it was modified in a way that makes it incompatible with the ePub standard.

You see, every ePub file has to have one uncompressed file at its start, namely the "mimetype" file. This file has to be exactly 20 bytes long and contain the following text in plain ASCII: "application/epub+zip"

This was added to the standard to ensure that the ePub file can be quickly recognized, even without decoding the whole ZIP container. Anyway, your file's "mimetype" file is exactly 22 bytes long and contains the following text: "application/epub+zip\r\n".

These extra two bytes are a windows linebreak; a line-feed + newline byte. This causes the ePub importer of the pReader to refuse decoding the file.

Anyway, after making the pReader ePub reader less strict, I easily managed to add the file to the library. And after changing its encoding to "UTF-8" (Tap on the App menu in the upper left, select "Change Encoding" (or rather "Changer d'encodage") and select the desired encoding), all accents, cedilles and further symbols were rendered perfectly fine.

So, my question is: Was your problem that the pReader did not import the file at all, or was your problem that it imported it, but you didn't see the French accents? Because if it was the latter, I won't need to reduce the strictness of the ePub reader until I release the native version, because I can just assume that the file was just accidentally broken.

Thanks!
    Hi Jappus

Thanks for the prompt response.

I had no trouble loading the file in the library.
    Just the accented letters showed with funny symbols (see attached screenshot)

The encoding was indeed at CP-1252 (Latin)
    After changing it to UTF-8, it changed nothing.
    I did a full restart of the device and still no resolution.

Any other suggestions ?

LWI
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15.    #1155  
    Quote Originally Posted by LWI View Post
    I had no trouble loading the file in the library.
    Just the accented letters showed with funny symbols (see attached screenshot)

The encoding was indeed at CP-1252 (Latin)
    After changing it to UTF-8, it changed nothing.
    I did a full restart of the device and still no resolution.
    My guess is that you changed the wrong encoding option.

You see, the pReader has two different encoding options. The first determines the default encoding used for all newly added books. This is used if you know that most of your files will be in, say, UTF-8, GBK or any other encoding. This setting defaults to CP-1252 (Latin). It has no influence on the books that are already in your library. This option can be reached through the properties screen (App Menu -> Properties -> Text Display -> Default Encoding).

The other option is a consequence of the first option, as it stores the encoding used for each book, separately. This allows you to use UTF-8 for one book, GBK for another, CP-1252 for two dozen others and so on. This setting can be changed by opening the book, opening the App-Menu and selecting "Change Encoding". As soon as you select another encoding, the pReader will show you a preview of the current page. Once you tap "Okay" the new encoding will be saved just for this book.

Of course, if you've activated fullscreen mode, or forced a rotation of the device into landscape mode, you will not see the app menu. So to see, it, rotate the device back to upright (if auto-rotation is on, otherwise you have to force it through the preferences) and leave the fullscreen mode. You can do this either by entering the properties and switching it off, or by simply tapping&holding the top part of the screen.

After you've selected UTF-8 this way, the file should be rendered perfectly.

I've made a video of the whole process and attached it to this posting. Atfer you've done it once, it's really obvious and simple; but I admit that it is not exactly intuitive at first.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16. LWI
    My guess is that you changed the wrong encoding option.

You see, the pReader has two different encoding options. The first determines the default encoding used for all newly added books. This is used if you know that most of your files will be in, say, UTF-8, GBK or any other encoding. This setting defaults to CP-1252 (Latin). It has no influence on the books that are already in your library. This option can be reached through the properties screen (App Menu -> Properties -> Text Display -> Default Encoding).

The other option is a consequence of the first option, as it stores the encoding used for each book, separately. This allows you to use UTF-8 for one book, GBK for another, CP-1252 for two dozen others and so on. This setting can be changed by opening the book, opening the App-Menu and selecting "Change Encoding". As soon as you select another encoding, the pReader will show you a preview of the current page. Once you tap "Okay" the new encoding will be saved just for this book.

Of course, if you've activated fullscreen mode, or forced a rotation of the device into landscape mode, you will not see the app menu. So to see, it, rotate the device back to upright (if auto-rotation is on, otherwise you have to force it through the preferences) and leave the fullscreen mode. You can do this either by entering the properties and switching it off, or by simply tapping&holding the top part of the screen.

After you've selected UTF-8 this way, the file should be rendered perfectly.

I've made a video of the whole process and attached it to this posting. Atfer you've done it once, it's really obvious and simple; but I admit that it is not exactly intuitive at first.
    Hello again Jappus,

Thanks for the detailled explanations. You are right, the large number of options (which is a good thing) makes it les intuitive.
    But it worked ....
    I can now see all the right caracters,
    and I also have a better understanding of some options.

One more happy user !

Thanks again

LWI
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hello,
    at first thank you for this great app. My problem is, I have an epub file and the links inside don't work.

The structure of the epub file is:

/OEBPS/index.xhtml
    /OEBPS/dossier.xhtml
    /OEBPS/politik.xhtml
    /OEBPS/danke.xhtml

An example of broken links in danke.xhtml:
    Code:
          <div class='separator' />
          <b>nchster Artikel:</b>
          <br />
          <a href='der_malteser_falke.xhtml' class='next_article'>
            <span class='red'>Der Malteser Falke</span>
          </a>
          <br />
          <a href='politik.xhtml' class='toc_link'>
            <span class='toc_link'> [zur bersicht Politik]</span>
          </a>
          <br />
          <a href='dossier.xhtml' class='toc_link'>
            <span class='toc_link'> [zum Ressort Dossier]</span>
          </a>
          <br />
          <a href='index.xhtml#politik' class='toc_link'>
            <span class='toc_link'> [zum Inhaltsverzeichnis]</span>
          </a>

I hope you can fix this problem.

Cheers
    Bjrn
  18.    #1158  
    Quote Originally Posted by BjAdel View Post
    Hello,
    at first thank you for this great app. My problem is, I have an epub file and the links inside don't work.
    Since the ePub Importer will be rewritten anyway during the conversion to the native version, it'll get fixed.

The reason why the cross-file links don't work in the current version is rather simple: The link-parser uses a one-pass approach to convert the links of the various source formats into the one usable link-style of the pReader. That means that the importer has to know the ID that will be used to jump to a link target, before the link target is generated.

So, while links that refer to later files would work, those that refer to earlier files would fail. Since that is worse than simply not suporting them at all, I decided to drop them until I could implement a proper 2-pass link parser. And since Javascript is unbearably slow in that regard, that meant delaying it until I could write the native version, which is ... Now.
    I'll see what I can do. It sounds like you briefly see an old, outdated version of the page, because half a second is roughly the time a new page needs to load and draw in Javascript.

I'll keep you updated if I find something.
    Im sending you a PM with a link to a video of the bug happening...
  20. wxl
    Since the ePub Importer will be rewritten anyway during the conversion to the native version, it'll get fixed.
    Please please please tell me the rewritten importer will handle DRM, too. I want to use pReader for electronic library books. They use DRM to give them an expiration date. See here:

http://library2go.lib.overdrive.com/...en/Default.htm

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    FYI that avatar is from the iFixit Pre teardown, uploaded by another Walter, and was instrumental in the fixing of my phone's speaker. It's also licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA so give credit if you use it.