Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1101  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Ran into some strange behavior with the dictionary & v0.8.15. When I select Ask Dictionary & try to select a word, no matter how I tried to select it, it interpreted the tap as a page up. All the text was blue like normal and it only seemed to happen on the top half of the page. It's not a constant though. I'm not sure how to help replicate reliably & really don't want to send the file since it's eReader DRM (credit card number). Are the converted files somewhere I can get to & send if it would help?
    You don't need to send me any files, since the dictionary code is entirely independent of what file was used to create the book in the library.

Thus, the bug should be reproducible with any book; and your error description simply sounds like the pReader is not correctly ignoring the tap event when a link was tapped. I probably have to take a hard look at that code fragment again.
  2.    #1102  
    Quote Originally Posted by satoribomb View Post
    Hey Jappus - not sure if this is something that you'll look at after posting the native code - but any word on providing import of adobe encrypted epub files, like those now purchased from ereader.com/Barnes & Noble (www.bn.com)?
    I've looked into it, and I most likely have found a way to do it.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly a no-brainer on the part of the users. You see, ADEPT encrypted files use a device-personalized key to decrypt the book. This key is generated by the shop software you used to buy the book to only work on your eBook Reader or Adobe4PC account. That way, the user does not need to enter any passwords or usernames.

So here's the problem, given the key, I can easily decrypt the book. But how do you get the key? At the moment, the only solution to that is to tell you to use the ADEPT-De-DRM script which reads the key directly from the memory of your Adobe4PC / Adobe4Mac software.

So, if the user extracted the key file in that way, and copied it onto the Pre, she could decrypt the books with the pReader ... but if she has already gone to that length to fetch the key (you know, installing Python and running the key-retrieval script), she could simply execute the second Python file that comes bundled with the key-retriever to immediately De-DRM the book on her PC.

So basically, if I go that way, I add a feature of rather dubious use, since everybody who can use it, won't need it.

What I need is a deeper insight into how the key-file is generated, so that I can do it the same thing as with the MobiPocket Device-ID and allow the user to fetch a key that was actually generated for the Pre/Pixi.

If anyone can help me there (given that I live in Germany and can't easily use the B&N shop), that'd be great!
  3.    #1103  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    I don't know how the native version will look like in terms of the visual appearance.
    Since I'll use the Javascript/C++ Hybrid API, initially it'll look exactly the same way. The C++ stuff is only used for the back-end, since doing GUI on the the C++ side is horrible for anything except Games (SDL and OpenGL are mighty nice, but both don't contain a HTML layouting system ).

However, there are a few things on my wish list (which might already be in):

a) Nice looking book library
    eg a wooden bookshelf, like some other readers have.
    Could be a shelf (line) per category.
    Books might be gone through (per shelf / line) like with calibre, or just horizontally "scrolling".
    But having the book cover image there would be nice. (Or if not available just a generic one with the title in it.)
    To be completely honest with you, I horribly, horribly suck at designing user interfaces. And I suck even more at designing graphical user interfaces.

And it really doesn't help a bit that all that stuff has to be done in HTML + CSS + Javascript ... that is if you don't want to paddle up the Nile and do text layouting in SDL+OpenGL.

Basically, what I plan to do is to make the back-end as GUI-agnostic as possible, so that the front-end can be changed at a later time.

Again, that's the reason why I put the pReader under the GPL in the first place, so that other people can freely look at the code, play with it and help improving it. So ... if someone who knows how to do a good GUI would volunteer to help me out, I would certainly not turn down the offer.

b) Page flipping
    Flipping through pages like the app on the fruit phone would be nice. With dragging the corner visually foreward / backward. That would be great.
    Actually, I have already searched for that myself, and I have actually found a few implementations in Javascript. Unfortunately, those that seem to work with dynamic data all cost money and are not GPLed, and those that are free look a bit weird and only work with static content.

Again, if someone knows how to do it, I won't turn him or her down. Otherwise, you'll probably have to wait for that feature for some time, since I don't have the spare time to do it.

That's one of the few advantages of commercial software ... you can simply pay someone to do it, which for reasons I cannot fully fathom seems to draw in a lot more volunteers than asking them to do it for free.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    ...wished I could help.
    But I am not a programmer / coder.
    Jappus,
    I use pReader every day and love it. Thanks!

What is the timeframe for the native port version? Weeks, months?
    Just curious and not trying to pressure you, I know you are a busy man.
  6.    #1106  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    What is the timeframe for the native port version? Weeks, months?
    Just curious and not trying to pressure you, I know you are a busy man.
    That depends on what you want to see released.

Currently, I'm at a position where I could release a preview version that can fully read PalmDoc files within a few days, so the bulk of the work is pretty much done. Of course, it's so substantially untested (I've basically only tested the back-end on Windows, not on the device), that I'd rather wait a few more weeks before I release that preview.

But as for when the much coveted v0.9.0 will hit? That completely depends on the progress of my thesis, and when they will schedule my oral thesis defense.
    I, of course, defer to your judgment on what to release and when.

Thanks for the reply and best wishes to you.
  8.    #1108  
    Hello, everyone. I just wanted to give you a short heads-up. I'll release v0.8.17 in a few days, which will fix a few bugs and add the recently requested features. Currently I'm just waiting for the translators to translate the new texts, so this would be a good opportunity to point out any errors you've noticed with v0.8.16, or any new features that you might want to see for v0.8.17.

Because, after v0.8.17, I'll probably cease working on the Javascript-only version to concentrate what little spare time I have completely on the native conversion.

So, write, my friends, write as if there were no tomorrow.
  9. wxl
    I love everything about it. Just wish I could read DRMed ePubs.
    MobiPocket Reader supports uploading to a usb device so I added my Pre as a usb device and used the pReader MobiPocket Device ID found in the App Menu under Device ID. The ony problem is that when I try to add the books into the library, after hours of waiting there is no apparent import progress. Have I missed something?
    I've noticed that I some of my e-books are in CP 1252 and others are in UTF-8. Inevitably, every time I change the default in pReader, the next several books I read are in the other encoding. Would it be possible to store the appropriate encoding with the book, when it's been explicitly set? Thanks!

-Joe
  12.    #1112  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwall View Post
    MobiPocket Reader supports uploading to a usb device so I added my Pre as a usb device and used the pReader MobiPocket Device ID found in the App Menu under Device ID. The ony problem is that when I try to add the books into the library, after hours of waiting there is no apparent import progress. Have I missed something?
    No, you just most likely have found a bug in the importing code that causes pReader to crash. The pReader is slow, but it shouldn't take hours and should at least move the progress bar every once in a while.

Could you send me the file (and the associated MobiPocket ID), so I can take a look at the file and see where it causes the crash? I've just sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

Thanks!
  13.    #1113  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    I've noticed that I some of my e-books are in CP 1252 and others are in UTF-8. Inevitably, every time I change the default in pReader, the next several books I read are in the other encoding. Would it be possible to store the appropriate encoding with the book, when it's been explicitly set? Thanks!
    The pReader already does just that!

Simply open the book with the wrong encoding, open the app menu in the top left corner (you might have to leave fullscreen mode and rotate the device upright to see it) and select "Change encoding". This option will change (and preview) the encoding just for that book. If you hit okay, that book's encoding is changed.

You don't need to re-import the book to change the encoding, because as far as storing the books is concerned, the pReader couldn't care less what encoding it's in, because encodings are something on the display-side, not on the storage-side. On the disk, it's all a simple sequence of bytes.

The global "default" encoding selector is only there to allow you to preselect your most-used encoding, so that you only have to change the encoding for files that don't conform to that default. And by default, this uses the CP-1251 encoding, because in contrast to UTF-8, it will always show weird symbols or gibberish if the file is not in CP-1251, because contrary to UTF-8, it has no concept of invalid byte sequences that should be dropped, instead of displayed.

Hope that helps!
    Hmmm... I was already familiar with the "Change encoding" menu option. I just thought I remembered having to do it multiple times for a single book. I'm not able to reproduce that now, so I'm probably just misremembering. Thanks again, Jappus, for doing a great job on pReader!

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The pReader already does just that!

Simply open the book with the wrong encoding, open the app menu in the top left corner (you might have to leave fullscreen mode and rotate the device upright to see it) and select "Change encoding". This option will change (and preview) the encoding just for that book. If you hit okay, that book's encoding is changed.

You don't need to re-import the book to change the encoding, because as far as storing the books is concerned, the pReader couldn't care less what encoding it's in, because encodings are something on the display-side, not on the storage-side. On the disk, it's all a simple sequence of bytes.

The global "default" encoding selector is only there to allow you to preselect your most-used encoding, so that you only have to change the encoding for files that don't conform to that default. And by default, this uses the CP-1251 encoding, because in contrast to UTF-8, it will always show weird symbols or gibberish if the file is not in CP-1251, because contrary to UTF-8, it has no concept of invalid byte sequences that should be dropped, instead of displayed.

Hope that helps!
  15.    #1115  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.8.17. Here's the changelog of the (hopefully) last Javascript-only version of the pReader:

• Added a changelog scene which opens up (once) when you start a new version of the pReader.
    • Added option to start/stop and change speed of autoscrolling with a key press. Changing speed is done with the next page / previous page keys; starting and stopping defaults to the '@'-key.
    • Fixed an issue that caused tapping of links to also register as page changing taps.
    • Improved French, Spanish and Czech translation, thanks to Yannick LE NY, Nacho Vayo and Jir Svoboda!

Barring any serious bugs in this release, I'll concentrate on the native version and will, if everything goes well, soon be able to publish a sneak-preview.
    I'm stuck on the changelog screen. The "I've read this" and "All logs" button does nothing when I tap on them.
    I'm using Palm Pre Plus with webOS 1.4.5
    Any ideas what I should do?
    Already a few versions in the past I have a strange bug... maybe discussed already here - if yes, then sorry - but when Im readying with the automatic scrolling... from time to time the page jumps one page back - for like a half second - and then back to the place where Im reading and continues scrolling.. after a few minutes it happens again.. and again... and again... Is the problem in my device or somewhere else?
  18.    #1118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    Already a few versions in the past I have a strange bug... maybe discussed already here - if yes, then sorry - but when Im readying with the automatic scrolling... from time to time the page jumps one page back - for like a half second - and then back to the place where Im reading and continues scrolling.. after a few minutes it happens again.. and again... and again... Is the problem in my device or somewhere else?
    What autoscrolling mode are you using? The "linear" one, in which the page is replaced, or the "smooth" one, in which the page is scrolled?
    There's one little thing that bothers me, but I'm not sure if its a bug or a feature.

When you select Ask Dictionary from the menu, a requester pops up asking which dictionary. When you confirm the dictionary choice, the requestor disappears, and the text you are reading is displayed, all with a blue face. If you tap on a word, a dictionary webpage opens up. After closing the dictionary, you are returned to pReader. (**** Here comes the behavior in question ****) In pReader, all the text is still blue like it's still waiting for you to select a word to send to the dictionary - in fact you can do this.

I've only found 2 methods to exit "dictionary" mode & return to "reading" mode. You can exit the book to Library & reopen (exit pReader does the same thing), or press & hold on the text so nav arrows appear at the bottom of screen then press & hold againg to return to regular reading mode.

This behavior has been in several features so I don't know if it's a feature or a bug. I know it's annoying to _me_. I always expect that after going to the dictionary and returning to pReader I'll be able to automatically resume reading without any prestidigitation required.

I am using pReader 0.8.17 (although it's been this way for many versions). I am using the following settings - orientation top up, full screen off, belt bar off, tap scrolling (only) enabled, invert flick & tap off, show progress bar off, enable smooth scrolling off.

I am using a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon with 1.4.5 OS.
  20.    #1120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimloon View Post
    I'm stuck on the changelog screen. The "I've read this" and "All logs" button does nothing when I tap on them.
    I'm using Palm Pre Plus with webOS 1.4.5
    Any ideas what I should do?
    Mhhhm, that's really strange. This didn't happen to me at all, and neither to any of the translators. Furthermore, I have a really hard time trying to come up with a way of how this could happen, because the mechanism for the Changelog screen is really dead simple.

There's exactly one, and only one point where an error might occur (at least with your error description), and that's when it remembers the last version it saw, because that depends on the presence of a global variable that has to be loaded at the start of the application. Everywhere else, and your error would look different. And this error can only happen if the pReader can't read the application information file (in which case the app wouldn't start), or if your Pre loads the changelog screen FAR too fast.

So, my first guess would be asking you whether you've overclocked your Pre? If yes, could you try tuning it down to its normal speed and check if the error goes away?

If not, or it didn't help, could you try to install the ipk file that I've attached to this posting and see if the error goes away? Both InternalZ and PreWare can install those packages.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files