Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
  1. #1081  
    So far, it's been every e-book I've tried from Project Gutenberg. My post count doesn't let me give links yet here. Go to the project gutenberg website /etext /903
  2.    #1082  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThumper View Post
    So far, it's been every e-book I've tried from Project Gutenberg. My post count doesn't let me give links yet here. Go to the project gutenberg website /etext /903
    I've found and fixed the error. It occurred everytime an html comment tag was read. This bug was introduced in the last version of the pReader, since I improved the way comments are handled. Unfortunately, I forgot to change both HTML Parsers that are present.


    I'll submit v0.8.15 shortly, which fixes that bug.
  3.    #1083  
    Good news, everyone!

    I've just submitted v0.8.15. Here's the changelog. It's rather short this time, but it fixes an important bug.

    • Fixed a serious bug that caused the import of HTML to fail.
    • The password field of the keyring manager is now always auto-focused.


    I just wonder why it took so long for someone to notice that huge bug. Kudos go to BigThumper!


    Anyway, happy reading!
  4. powervette's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #1084  
    I really want to like this app, but I have a serious problem and it is happening on 2 different Pre's, I will load multiple books into the app and take a quick look at each one to make sure they came in fine. The next day I fire up preader to read a book and those book I had loaded are gone. Since its so slow to load them in its really frustrating. It doesn't happen every time either, so not sure what is going on. The most recent batch was 9 books, took over an hour, and now I have to do it again. Like I said it is happening on 2 different Pre's but never know when it will happen so each time I launch pReader I never know what books I will have to read.

    Not sure if anybody else has reported this problem, or if there is anything I can do.
  5.    #1085  
    Quote Originally Posted by Powervette View Post
    I really want to like this app, but I have a serious problem and it is happening on 2 different Pre's, I will load multiple books into the app and take a quick look at each one to make sure they came in fine. The next day I fire up preader to read a book and those book I had loaded are gone. Since its so slow to load them in its really frustrating. It doesn't happen every time either, so not sure what is going on. The most recent batch was 9 books, took over an hour, and now I have to do it again. Like I said it is happening on 2 different Pre's but never know when it will happen so each time I launch pReader I never know what books I will have to read.

    Not sure if anybody else has reported this problem, or if there is anything I can do.
    Well, apart from you, I only know of one other user who had a similar problem. But when software is concerned, two users are usually enough to verify that there is a bug lurking somewhere.

    The problem you describe sounds like your library data isn't saved correctly. You see, the pReader stores the information about what books are present separate from the actual data of each book. So if the former table gets corrupted, isn't saved right or overwritten with old data, books will mysteriously vanish into thin air, even though their data is still there.

    You could try the following: After you added a book, quit the pReader and open it again. If the book is still there, then it should continue to be perpetually visible. If it still vanishes later, then there's a really serious bug in there.


    Anyway, since that whole subsystem will be chucked out and replaced with something much saner in the native version of the pReader, I don't know if it's worth hunting down that bug, since it'll vanish on its own during the transition. If the bug continues even after doing the above, your best bet is most likely to wait for the native version. Of course, if you could figure out a way to reliably trigger the drops, then I could most likely develop a fix even for the Javascript version of the pReader.
  6. powervette's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #1086  
    Thanks for the reply, I will see if I notice anything that could pin it down.

    I guess that begs the question of when the native version will be out?

    Thanks
  7.    #1087  
    Quote Originally Posted by Powervette View Post
    I guess that begs the question of when the native version will be out?
    Well, development is somewhat slow, due to the fact that my thesis eats ~90% of my waking time.

    But this weekend I had some time to fiddle around with the native port. Just to give you an impression of what's to come: If you want to add a ~300kB large HTML PalmDOC file to the library of the Javascript pReader, you will have to wait a bit less than a minute.

    The native port manages to do the same thing in under 3 seconds.


    And now I ask you: What in the unholy name of Yogsototh has ridden the Palm engineers to think that only allowing Javascript apps would be a jolly good idea?
  8. #1088  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The native port manages to do the same thing in under 3 seconds.


    And now I ask you: What in the unholy name of Yogsototh has ridden the Palm engineers to think that only allowing Javascript apps would be a jolly good idea?
    Ye gods...since the built-in applications are Javascript - including the phone app - does that mean if they get re-written we'll have a performance explosion?
  9.    #1089  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThumper View Post
    Ye gods...since the built-in applications are Javascript - including the phone app - does that mean if they get re-written we'll have a performance explosion?
    The Pre has a 500 MHz CPU that can be overclocked to 1GHz on 95% of all devices. I'll let you do the math.

    But to be honest, apart from the abysmal E-Mail app, none of the "default" apps would benefit much from going native, because most of them already are (or close to it). I mean Palm just went insane with the early WebOS design.

    I imagine they started with taking the WebKit engine and tried to program the apps in its Javascript interpreter. They found out it works for the UI just fine, but royally sucks on everything else. So they started coding up 90% of the user-accessible background services (you know, GPS, Radio, etc.) in Java. So now they had a full browser with Java running on Linux. Nice, basically sounds like Symbian done right.

    Unfortunately, they found out that some apps (like the PalmOS emulator or eventually 3D games) really do need the extra speed boost most native apps have over Java (especially if your JIT compiler sucks, which applies to almost all mobile platforms) and allowed native code plugins to be integrated into the browser. Weird decision, but okay.

    But then, someone obviously thought that having Javascript, Java and C/C++ running inside the same WebKit engine means that programming it won't be exactly easy. So they decided to allow only one of those interfaces to be open to 3rd party developers. And for reasons I can't even begin to fathom, they chose Javascript.

    The rest is, as they say, history. That one decision basically meant that they crippled a >500MHz CPU so that it ran apps even slower than the 33MHz Dragonball CPU of the old Palm III's.


    But that's marketing for you. Every first year CompSci student could've told you that Javascript sucks for everything but GUI. Every second year CompSci student could've told you that Java+OpenGL could've been easily sandboxed, made secure and reasonably fast. Every third year CompSci student could've told you that also allowing native apps for properly audited (hello Apple!) software doesn't hurt a bit.

    But even after 10 years, a marketing drone will still just look at the count of how many web-designers with Javascript on their resume are out there, vs. how many C/C++/Java programmers are out there and use that as their only indicator that decreeing Javascript will mean certain success.



    But enough ranting. Palm has finally wisened up, and let's just hope that HP won't make the same mistakes and stop building on what they finally have now.
  10. #1090  
    The builtin app I wish they'd speed up is the calendar. It's ridiculous having to do two calls for each event. Who thought up the crazy idea of one call for date, time, reminder and another for name, notes?
  11. #1091  
    Can't argue with anything you just said.

    New version fixes html import - thank you! Since the html versions from PG seem "cleaner", those are the versions I prefer to work with now. May be off-topic - but is there an "easy" way to download those files and bring them into pReader using just the Pre?

    Right now clicking on the html links just opens the file within the browser (which I do NOT want). The other choice is to download the zipped version, and then use terminal to perform an unzip - then go back into pReader and perform the import.

    It's of course simpler doing the download from my PC, and then sending the file to my Pre - but I'd like to be able to do it "in the field" as well.
  12.    #1092  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThumper View Post
    Right now clicking on the html links just opens the file within the browser (which I do NOT want). The other choice is to download the zipped version, and then use terminal to perform an unzip - then go back into pReader and perform the import.
    Easy as pie. Simply install the free "Download Manager" app from the AppCatalog. With it, you can download arbitrary files if you just give it a URL.

    Of course, the question is, how do you get the URL? Easy, simply hold the orange button while clicking the link. This serves as a "right click" in the WebOS browser and opens a context menu which, among other things, allows you to copy the URL to you clipboard.

    From there on, it's simply a matter of pasting it into the download manager and you're done. Of course, you may ask, how do I paste things into it? The answer: Simply touch&hold the gesture area and press "v" on the keyboard. Done!


    Of course, downloading the ZIP/ePub/... may still be worth it, if the file comes with images.
  13. #1093  
    Hi folks,

    got a problem:

    I have bought my palm pre plus yesterday and installed the preader today in order to read my DRMed .prc-file. When I launch the software and click the button to add a new book it shows me in a list the name of that book I wanna read. Now a click on it and the only thing I get is a turning circle in the middle of my screen for an infinite time but no book to read. I have already added the preader to the pid.
    Any ideas to solve that problem?
  14.    #1094  
    Quote Originally Posted by preerk View Post
    Hi folks,

    got a problem:

    I have bought my palm pre plus yesterday and installed the preader today in order to read my DRMed .prc-file. When I launch the software and click the button to add a new book it shows me in a list the name of that book I wanna read. Now a click on it and the only thing I get is a turning circle in the middle of my screen for an infinite time but no book to read. I have already added the preader to the pid.
    Any ideas to solve that problem?
    Mhhhm, that sounds like a crash/hang during decrypting/decoding the file. Would you be willing to send me the file (and the registered PID), so that I can take a look at what happens?

    I've just sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

    Thanks!
  15.    #1095  
    Good news, everyone!


    I've just submitted v0.8.16 to the App Catalog. It should be released in a few days. Here are the changes:

    • Improved the speed of importing files with many identical images.
    • Made the HTML parser more resistant against weirdly tangled tags. Files which exhibited "stuck" formatting like bold, italics or underline should render fine after a re-import now.
    • Reduced Log Level. The pReader shouldn't needlessly pollute the system log anymore.



    Unfortunately, I only noticed that Yannick had updated the French translation after I had already uploaded the IPK file to Palm. And since SVN doesn't warn me that there are pending changes on check-in (unlike CVS or GIT), v0.8.16 in the SVN has the French translation update, but v0.8.16 in the App Catalog won't.

    This oddity will be gone as soon as v0.8.17 is released (if I won't release the native version before, that is. ).

    Thanks to Yannick, anyway!


    Ohh, and Happy Reading!
  16. #1096  
    Love pReader. I love the linear autoscroll mode, but is difficult to use in full screen mode. Suggestion: would like to be able to stop and start autoscroll with key from keyboard. The ability to increase and decrease the speed with a keyboard key would also be useful.
  17. #1097  
    Hey Jappus - not sure if this is something that you'll look at after posting the native code - but any word on providing import of adobe encrypted epub files, like those now purchased from ereader.com/Barnes & Noble (www.bn.com)?
  18. #1098  
    Ran into some strange behavior with the dictionary & v0.8.15. When I select Ask Dictionary & try to select a word, no matter how I tried to select it, it interpreted the tap as a page up. All the text was blue like normal and it only seemed to happen on the top half of the page. It's not a constant though. I'm not sure how to help replicate reliably & really don't want to send the file since it's eReader DRM (credit card number). Are the converted files somewhere I can get to & send if it would help?
  19. rgloor's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #1099  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news, everyone!

    This oddity will be gone as soon as v0.8.17 is released (if I won't release the native version before, that is. ).
    Hi Jappus,

    sounds great. Can't wait for the native version.

    I don't know how the native version will look like in terms of the visual appearance.

    However, there are a few things on my wish list (which might already be in):

    a) Nice looking book library
    eg a wooden bookshelf, like some other readers have.
    Could be a shelf (line) per category.
    Books might be gone through (per shelf / line) like with calibre, or just horizontally "scrolling".
    But having the book cover image there would be nice. (Or if not available just a generic one with the title in it.)

    b) Page flipping
    Flipping through pages like the app on the fruit phone would be nice. With dragging the corner visually foreward / backward. That would be great.


    I now, those wishes are just some gimmicks and probably not first priority.
    And import, storage, as well the general presentation of the text is fine.
    It would however just make the usage of the app much more fun.
    Especially when showing to other people.

    Thanks a lot for your astonishing effort and great work.

    This is just an awesome app.
  20.    #1100  
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwindd View Post
    Love pReader. I love the linear autoscroll mode, but is difficult to use in full screen mode. Suggestion: would like to be able to stop and start autoscroll with key from keyboard. The ability to increase and decrease the speed with a keyboard key would also be useful.
    Sure, that's easily possible. If I do enough fixes to warrant a v0.8.17, it will go in it.

    I think the best way to handle that, is to simple use the normal forward/back keys that you can already assign to the keyboard. This helps the options from becoming even more cluttered and those keys are at the moment deactivated anyway when you enter autoscroll mode. Thus, I only need to add a new key learner butoon for the start/stop key, instead of having to add all three.

Posting Permissions