Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    I have a palmdoc pdb that I had been using notes as bookmarks for... I dont think there is any way to import those to preader is there?
  2.    #1042  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    I have a palmdoc pdb that I had been using notes as bookmarks for... I dont think there is any way to import those to preader is there?
    With the current pReader, unfortunately not.

The reason for this is that bookmark support was implemented relatively late, because we mostly tried to get the pReader to correctly read each formats. And when we did finally implement it, we had the problem that none of the formats actually had a standard way to store bookmarks. Every Reader application brewed its own kind of bookmarks support. Only PalmDOCs had a semi-standardized way of storing bookmarks by exploiting the option to store short, plain-text notes in the record headers.

This is most likely how your notes/bookmarks are stored, but there is also a good chance that your former reader used a homegrown solution. For example, the eReader app stores its notes in an external ".idx" file.

Since we knew that every single one of the format importers has to be rewritten during the transition from JSJSJS $to$ $native$ $code$ $anyway$, $we$ $did$ $not$ $concentrate$ $all$ $too$ $much$ $on$ $fighting$ $ourselves$ $through$ $this$ $particular$ $mess$.

But I've added your suggestion to my internal ToDo list. We'll see what we can do about that when we design and implement the natively coded format importers.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

There is a bug in the latest version in the scroll function. When you hit the scroll icon, pReader jumps to the next page instead of scrolling from the existing page. *Then it scrolls the same page it is on until it reaches the end of that page and then it begins to scroll the next page.

Also, pausing in mid-scroll causes the scrolling to stop completely instead of pausing. Hitting the icon button then repeats the problem identified above.

Tx.
  4.    #1044  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Jappus,

There is a bug in the latest version in the scroll function. When you hit the scroll icon, pReader jumps to the next page instead of scrolling from the existing page. *Then it scrolls the same page it is on until it reaches the end of that page and then it begins to scroll the next page.

Also, pausing in mid-scroll causes the scrolling to stop completely instead of pausing. Hitting the icon button then repeats the problem identified above.
    Damn, it seems that this bug occurs because of my fix of the screen rotation bug. When the solution of one bug creates another bug, it's a sure sign that the page display code is just too arcane and convoluted for its own good.

I'll go ahead and see if I can fix the bug properly. If not, I'll probably have to revert the screen-rotation fix until I'll redo everything in the native port anyway.

Thanks for pointing out that bug!
  5.    #1045  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.8.13. Here's the changelog:

• Fixed autoscroll bug.
    • Added smooth, "browser-like" scrolling option. It's pretty experimental, though. It won't save your exact reading position when you leave the book/app (in the mean, it's off by half a page), will disable all other scrolling options (including autoscroll) and scrolling over large areas might prove a bit jerky. But other than that, it seems okay.

Basically, after fixing the autoscroll bug, I had a sudden idea how I could add smooth scrolling without that much difficulty. So I implemented it because it'd have nagged me the next few days anyway.

But as I said above, it's rather experimental and I won't fix most of its issues until the native port makes things a bit easier.

Anyway, happy reading!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.8.13. Here's the changelog:

• Fixed autoscroll bug.
    • Added smooth, "browser-like" scrolling option. It's pretty experimental, though. It won't save your exact reading position when you leave the book/app (in the mean, it's off by half a page), will disable all other scrolling options (including autoscroll) and scrolling over large areas might prove a bit jerky. But other than that, it seems okay.

Basically, after fixing the autoscroll bug, I had a sudden idea how I could add smooth scrolling without that much difficulty. So I implemented it because it'd have nagged me the next few days anyway.

But as I said above, it's rather experimental and I won't fix most of its issues until the native port makes things a bit easier.

Anyway, happy reading!
    SWEEETTT! I've been waiting for this feature since forever now. Can't wait to test it out. Thanks!
    I've been using pReader a fair amount and it's real good. I finally decided to try a Kindle book. I bought it, dedrmed it, and put it on my Pre. Works great.

Anyhow, does anyone else have trouble with pictures or photos embedded in a book? When I get to a photo and try to scroll/move to the next page, it usually just moves one letter at a time above the picture. Sometimes I can tap on the picture and it enlarges and then I can move past it, but mostly I have to select my percentage position at the bottom and enter a larger number.

This has happened on both .pdb books and now my Kindle. azw book. Seems to be some sort of bug but I searched this thread and didn't see this discussed.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    gapost,

Have you tried converting the undrm'd Kindle (i.e. the mobi version) to pdb (ereader) via the free Calibre program? I found that the pdb version works even better than the undrm'd kindle version. One extra step in the process to reading a Kindle book but worth it in the end IMHO.

Not sure whether this resolves the picture issue you raise but may be worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    gapost,

Have you tried converting the undrm'd Kindle (i.e. the mobi version) to pdb (ereader) via the free Calibre program? I found that the pdb version works even better than the undrm'd kindle version. One extra step in the process to reading a Kindle book but worth it in the end IMHO.

Not sure whether this resolves the picture issue you raise but may be worth a try.
    No I haven't. I read about Calibre but didn't try it yet. Really, though, the .azw version looks and reads good. How would Calibre improve it?

However, this problem with photos also happened on a .pdb book from ereader.com.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    When I first started buying Kindle books on pReader, I had lots of formatting problems with chapters and other weird symbols showing up. When I converted the mobi to pdb using Calibre, it seemed to somehow clear things up. That was quite a while ago though. pReader has had many many updates since then and possibly the problem I was experiencing some time ago may now be resolved. I'll have to try it out with my next novel. You may have saved me a step in my continuing addiction to books!
  11.    #1051  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Anyhow, does anyone else have trouble with pictures or photos embedded in a book? When I get to a photo and try to scroll/move to the next page, it usually just moves one letter at a time above the picture. Sometimes I can tap on the picture and it enlarges and then I can move past it, but mostly I have to select my percentage position at the bottom and enter a larger number.

This has happened on both .pdb books and now my Kindle. azw book. Seems to be some sort of bug but I searched this thread and didn't see this discussed.
    Mhhhm, could you send me a file that exhibits that problem? That'd make it easier for me to pinpoint the problem. I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

But yeah, image support is rather shoddy in the Javascript version of the pReader, due to some early oversights in the design of the page layouting algorithm. It works, as long as you don't look at it too closely, or surprise it with too many images close together or on a single page.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.8.13.
    Can't wait for the new scrolling feature. Was really missing such a browser-like scrolling after getting more and more used to the webOS style of "life".

Hhmmm......just wonder what takes palm that long to release your update!?
  13.    #1053  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Hhmmm......just wonder what takes palm that long to release your update!?
    Releasing on or near weekends is always a bad idea, because there's a lot of back-log that gets generated between Thursday and Saturday. Add in the fact that they're most likely having to deal with new rules laid down by HP...

Anyway, in the week since my submission, I've already added enough bugfixes to release a v0.8.14 soon after v0.8.13 hits the App Catalog.
    Anyway, in the week since my submission, I've already added enough bugfixes to release a v0.8.14 soon after v0.8.13 hits the App Catalog.
    Jeez, with all the work you're putting into pReader, you'd never know you were working on your thesis

How are you coming on it? Are you close to submission? Once you do, how long does the panel usually take to review and approve theses over there?

BTW do you have 1.4.5 in Germany yet? Does pReader work OK on it?
  15.    #1055  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Jeez, with all the work you're putting into pReader, you'd never know you were working on your thesis

How are you coming on it? Are you close to submission? Once you do, how long does the panel usually take to review and approve theses over there?
    I think Jorge Cham put it best recently: PHD Comics: Localized Repulsor

I feel exactly like that. With the small distinction that all I have to do is write down what I've already implemented and why. If all goes well, I should be done in a month, two at tops. Of course, I didn't get as much done as I'd have like to in the last few weeks, because one of my grandmothers passed away earlier this month. Such is life, but when you've lived 90 years, it certainly was a life worth living.

As for how long the panel will take, well, that'll depend on the quality of the thesis and when they agree on a date for the oral thesis defense.

BTW do you have 1.4.5 in Germany yet? Does pReader work OK on it?
    Yup, and it runs absolutely fine.
    Last edited by Jappus; 08/14/2010 at 11:47 AM.
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. You have our sympathies.

Funny comic. Just remember, it's ONLY a thesis, nothing REALLY important
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Releasing on or near weekends is always a bad idea, because there's a lot of back-log that gets generated between Thursday and Saturday. Add in the fact that they're most likely having to deal with new rules laid down by HP...

Thanks Jappus

Just saw 8.13 on the precentral App Catalog. Looking forward to have on preware. Especially to the new browser-like scrolling function.

So 8.14 is on the way too. Cool.

Thanks a lot for your great work.

PS: How are you coming along with the new native version?

PPS: ..and all the best for your thesis.
    I think I found a bug in 0.8.13. When I select Ask Dictionary, whether I select a dictionary or Okay, the pReader screen clears and a 0 appears in the top right corner. Scrolling the page does nothing ie. It doesn't scroll. If I do back gesture, it returns to library. If I select the title, the book opens at the previous location.

BTW Jappus, the two mobi documents I sent you came from Baen's Webscription paid site. If you want more samples, go to Baen Free Library at Baen Free Library
    BTW Jappus, the formatting anomalies and Plain text / html requestor for the mobi files I sent you are still present in 0.8.13.
  20.    #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    BTW Jappus, the formatting anomalies and Plain text / html requestor for the mobi files I sent you are still present in 0.8.13.
    Obviously, my E-Mail reply to you was eaten by the grue on its way to you. Here's what it contained:

Quote Originally Posted by Mail
    I've taken a look at the files, and as I already suspected, the files are not in the MobiPocket format. They're absolutely run-of-the-mill PalmDOC documents. Since PalmDOC, eReader and MobiPocket files are all based on the PalmDatabase (PDB) format, you can easily verify that by opening the file in an HexEditor.

At the start of the file, you'll see two readable strings. The first is the title of the file and the second is the so called Creator/Type field. If the file is a PalmDOC file, you should find "TEXtREAd" there. If it's a MobiPocket book, you should find "BOOKMOBI". And if it's an eReader document, you should find "PNRdPPrs".

That's how the pReader detects which format it deals with, since they all usually use ".prc" or ".pdb" as a file ending. MobiPocket books also might use ".mobi", but pReader ignores that distinction since checking the other formats has a negligible overhead.

Anyway, your files are regular PalmDOC files, and as such, the pReader asks you whether the files contain plain-text, or HTML. In your case, both files contain HTML, so choosing anything other than "HTML" causes the pReader to ignore all tags, which leads to the chaos you could experience first-hand.

So, to make a long story short: There's nothing wrong with pReader or those files; both work and are as expected. They were most likely just wrongly labeled as MobiPocket books when you downloaded them, or someone simply accidentally swapped a link.