Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    Sorry, I have internalz but can't find anything starting wight /media/
    Laissez Faire
  2.    #1002  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Sorry, I have internalz but can't find anything starting wight /media/
    Mhhhm, I have WebOS 1.4.5.1 and InternalZ 1.0.1.

Whenever you start InternalZ, it should start you off in the last directory you visited (most likely somewhere on /media/internal), see screenhot #1. If you then tap on the ".." entry you should drop down to "/media"; see screenshot #2. If you weren't in "/media/<whatever>" to begin with, simply tap repeatedly on ".." till it's gone. This should bring you to the root directory "/", from there on, you should be able to find and enter "/media".

From there on, you should be able to locate the "cryptofs" directory and all the other subdirs. Eventually you should reach the pReader directory, see screenshot #3.

If InternalZ does not show those directories, well, then there is either a serious problem with InternalZ, or your whole WebOS installation...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Actually it appears to have been only one book. The next one is fine. Thanks anyway.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    I'll look into it and see if I can find an elegant solution, but really, the best option would be if Palm solved the problem, because it's a bug that occurs in their ballpark, not mine.
    After glancing at your code and trying a couple things, I set the custom font to "Times New Roman" and it works perfectly. I can see this will be easy to fix in your code.

I have a feature request: I would like the option have one or two lines from the bottom be repeated on the top when going to the next page.

Also it would be nice to have the option of having the top half of the screen scroll down and the bottom have to scroll up. It seems counter-intuitive, but my finger is closer to the top of the screen when I was reading. It's how I configured Plucker to work on my Palm.
  5.    #1005  
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    After glancing at your code and trying a couple things, I set the custom font to "Times New Roman" and it works perfectly. I can see this will be easy to fix in your code.
    Yup, just tested it and it really does work. Kinda makes one wonder what the hell's wrong with Palm's Fontconfig if it failes on "Times" but works with "Times New Roman". Anyway, that bug will be gone in v0.8.11.

I have a feature request: I would like the option have one or two lines from the bottom be repeated on the top when going to the next page.
    Mhhhm, such a simple request, but with a very difficult implementation. You see, the problem is that the pReader does not have any concept of "lines". It merely knows how "long" a certain amount of text will be if it is displayed. That's why it's relatively easy to fill the whole screen with text, but rather difficult to find out where any given line begins, or even how many lines will be on that page.

Since that whole system will have to be overhauled during the transition from Javascript to native code anyway, I'll think about that feature when I'm at it. But if at all, you'll probably not see this feature in the v0.8.x series.

Of course, if somebody has a bright idea and volunteers to implement it, he or she is my most honored guest. But one word of warning: The page-fitting code is pretty much the most insanely complicated part of the pReader; it even caused Retrobits, who implemented the DRM code with ease; to severely doubt my sanity. It's very, very close to what programmers call "write-only-once" code.

Also it would be nice to have the option of having the top half of the screen scroll down and the bottom have to scroll up. It seems counter-intuitive, but my finger is closer to the top of the screen when I was reading. It's how I configured Plucker to work on my Palm.
    That, on the other hand is both a simple request, and comparatively simple to implement. After all, if I already have a switch to invert the meaning of the swipe gestures, it's equally easy to invert the tap gesture. Expect it in v0.8.11.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Yup, just tested it and it really does work. Kinda makes one wonder what the hell's wrong with Palm's Fontconfig if it failes on "Times" but works with "Times New Roman". Anyway, that bug will be gone in v0.8.11.
    I suspect it can find Times because it is the name of the file, but the actual name of the font, which is stored within the file, is Times New Roman. But using the proper name, Fontconfig do a better job of finding the italics version.
  7.    #1007  
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    I suspect it can find Times because it is the name of the file, but the actual name of the font, which is stored within the file, is Times New Roman. But using the proper name, Fontconfig do a better job of finding the italics version.
    And that's just it! It's Fontconfig's job to ensure that the font family name (which is "Times") is mapped properly to the font type name of the best available specimen of that family (which is on the Pre "Times New Roman"). When you deal with the Web, it's always better to just select the family and leave the rest to the platform's font selection, because not everyone might have "Times New Roman" and the original "Times Roman" is usually just as well. Seems strange for Times, but you really don't want to use "Arial Unicode MS" when selecting "Arial" works just as well on Windows but is the only thing that also works on non-Windows computers.

I don't know why Fontconfig fails to find the best available font for the Times family. Probably some subtle bug in the True-Type annotations. Anyway, since the pReader will probably never be ported to anything but WebOS, that's a hack I can live with.
  8.    #1008  
    Good news, everyone!

Due to some easily implemented feature requests, some more or less serious bugs and the work of several contributors, enough changes have accrued so that we've decided to release another v0.8.x version. I've just submitted the new v0.8.11 version to Palm. It should arrive in the App Catalog in a few days. If you want, you can, as always, immediately upgrade by using the IPK file that I attached to the first posting in this thread.

Here's the (surprisingly long) list of changes:
    • Fixed a few missing entries in the French, Spanish and Czech translations (Thanks to Yannick LE NY, Nacho Vayo, and Jiri Svoboda)
    • Added an optional subtle, small read progress bar when the Belt bar is disabled. Thanks go to Jiri Svoboda for vastly improving my initial implementation.
    • Added option to sort the library by more than just the full title. You can now sort by name, title, publisher, read pages and so on. Again, thanks go to Jiri Svoboda who did all the heavy lifting on this feature.
    • Added several new encodings; namely: CP-125[3,4,6,7,8], CP-874, CP-932, CP-949 and KOI-8R. In other words, we added support for Greek, Turkish, Arabic, Estonian/Latvian/Lithuanian, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Korean and Cyrillic (Russian). Of course, due to the limitations of the fonts that come with the Pre/Pixi, you might not be see any characters even though you have activated the correct encoding. In that case, you have to manually install and use a compatible font (like Arial Unicode MS).
    • Fixed a bug that caused the Times New Roman font to not display any italics. (Thanks to Doconnor for pointing that out and finding a simple fix)
    • Implemented the option to invert the meaning of screen taps. If you want, you can now go to the next page by tapping the top of the screen, and to the previous page by tapping the bottom of the screen.
    • Fixed a bug concerning broken "runaway tags" that caused a part of the plain-text to be removed. The HTML parser should now be much more resilient against those broken tags.

Enjoy this release and: Happy Reading!
    Thank you for your continued hard work Jappus. This app remains in my opinion, the very best on WebOS platform. Let no one doubt your sanity again (... carefully averting my eyes from the recursive, argument-morphing, finite state machine that is the PageFitter of course).
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted the new v0.8.11 version to Palm.

Enjoy this release and: Happy Reading!

Jappus - Thanks a lot for your on-going great work!

BTW:Can you give us any hints on the native version?
    Is the 1.4.5 release good enough for your plans , or do you need to wait for the full hybrid SDK/PDK version coming later (hopefully this late summer/autumn)?
  11.    #1011  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Is the 1.4.5 release good enough for your plans , or do you need to wait for the full hybrid SDK/PDK version coming later (hopefully this late summer/autumn)?
    Yup, the 1.4.5 release contains pretty much everything I need. It has full capability to pass arbitrary amounts of data to and from JSJSJS. $Basically$, $I$ $can$ $scale$ $back$ $my$ $Wrapper$-$Interface$ $by$ $95$%. $All$ $it$ $needs$ $to$ $do$ $now$, $is$ $to$ $allow$ $asynchronous$ $calls$ $from$ $Javascript$ $to$ $C$++ ($the$ $other$ $way$ $around$ $is$ $always$ $asynchronous$) -- $and$ $that$'$s$ $already$ $something$ $I$ $have$ $implemented$.

So basically, now it just boils down to copy-translating lots and lots of code (of course, that's not entirely straightforward for some parts) and finally getting the work done on the C++ MHT+XML library code. Of course, since I've just entered the last 2-3 months of my thesis (hopefully 2, rather than 3), my work on the pReader takes somewhat of a backseat.

But if you want to monitor our progress in more or less realtime, simply go to:
    SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Index of /

That's our internal SVN server and the "native" branch is where the current fun's at. You can even see a full edit history, look at our check-in logs and check when we've last touched a particular file.

And if you're really adventurous, you can even move back to revision 1 and see how awful the pReader was 8 months ago when I moved v0.6.0 from my internal CVS server to the Sourceforge SVN.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Yup, the 1.4.5 release contains pretty much everything I need.

Of course, since I've just entered the last 2-3 months of my thesis (hopefully 2, rather than 3), my work on the pReader takes somewhat of a backseat.

But if you want to monitor our progress in more or less realtime, simply go to:
    SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Index of /
    Hi jappus
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. That really sounds great, to have the foundation now to build the native version upon.
    Wow. Cool.
    Thanks also for the link. I will be glancing in once in a while.

...and of course: All the best with your thesis.
  13.    #1013  
    Hi everyone.

I've just noticed a bug that occurs with the new small read progress bar. Whenever you switch from a non-landscape mode to a landscape mode (or back), the progress bar gets broken. While it correctly changes its visual width, WebOS does not actually register this new width, which leads to the bar only filling halfway, or over-filling itself.

This is most definitely a WebOS bug, because the solution consists of "faking" another, identical screen turn so that WebOS finally registers the new state of affairs.

Anyway, I'll wait a week or so to see if there are any other issues with v0.8.11, before releasing the fixed v0.8.12.
    I'm trying to get a plain text file to display with a monospace font, but can't seem to get it to work. I assumed that using the "Custom" font option under 'Text Display' would let me do this, but either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not working.

I've read several of the other posts in this thread about using the font name when entering a custom font. I've tried "Courier", and installed the FreeFonts mentioned previously and tried both "FreeMono" and "Free Monospaced". No dice.

Any idea if this is possible and how to do it? Thanks.
  15.    #1015  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I'm trying to get a plain text file to display with a monospace font, but can't seem to get it to work. I assumed that using the "Custom" font option under 'Text Display' would let me do this, but either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not working.

I've read several of the other posts in this thread about using the font name when entering a custom font. I've tried "Courier", and installed the FreeFonts mentioned previously and tried both "FreeMono" and "Free Monospaced". No dice.

Any idea if this is possible and how to do it? Thanks.
    Try "Courier New".

But yeah, I don't know either why the Freefonts can't be selected. One reason may be that they're in the subdirectories of "/usr/share/fonts/freefont" and /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont". Overall, the entire font system of WebOS seems to be horribly misconfigured.

I think I'll add "Courier New" to the default options for v0.8.12.

P.S: Of course, using a monospaced font in pReader is of a somewhat limited use, because the pReader enforces linebreaks.
    Try "Courier New".

P.S: Of course, using a monospaced font in pReader is of a somewhat limited use, because the pReader enforces linebreaks.
    Aha!! "Courier New" was the secret phrase I was missing .

I'm actually trying to use pReader to display my own guitar "tab" files ... a music nomenclature that requires a monospace font. I've used the Doc View in the past, but it's really slow and often gets "hung" at the end of files for some reason. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    First, thank for the new version. LOVE the small progress bar.

Secondly, I am having some PDFs that i have converted with either MobiReader or Calibre show up in preader with strange characters instead of certain punctuation marks. is seems mainly single and double quotes. they show up a gibberish.

any ideas??

-shattuck
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I changed the encoding to UTF-8 and it seemed to resolved the issue.
    Hi Jappus
    Q: How do I reset the Master password for keyring. I set it a long ago and can't remember the password. Thank you for your assistance.
    Chambeecat
    Before anything else, I want to say thanks, Jappus, for all the work you've put into pReader. PReader was one of the first apps that I installed on my phone, and it's a great piece of software. I especially like the new progress bar you added in the latest version.

First, a feature request: I'd love it if I were able to use the volume rocker to flip pages, although it wouldn't surprise me if Palm limited applications' access to the volume rocker.

Unfortunately, I've also had a few problems with pReader. I have a library of 400 or so books, the vast majority of which are in Mobipocket .mobi/.prc format (many of which were originally converted from .pdf). I made the mistake of trying to add them all to my pReader library. After I finally got through all of them, I was dismayed to discover that my pReader library only retained about 150 of them. I tried adding a few dozen of the ones that were missing. Things looked good at first. There were about 200 in the library, but when I quit and restarted the program, I was back down to around 150. (I don't remember the exact number, but I don't believe it was the same as before.)

The other problem I've had has been with DRMed Mobipocket files. pReader just wouldn't open them, even if supplied with the correct device ID. I was able, however, with the MobiDeDRM script (v0.1.2) to remove the DRM with by passing it same device ID.

At any rate, good luck with your thesis and the native version. Please let me know if I can provide any more info to track down the bugs I mentioned.

-Joe