Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
    One night I had too much time on my hands and actually read through all the pReader posts. Maybe I'm easily entertained, but it was a fascinating read and sold me on installing this app. Unfortunately the older I get, the worse my memory gets. Now I wish I'd taken notes on all the great tips and tricks. I definitely don't want to re-read the posts again and I know I can't remember everything now.

I still keep discovering new stuff. For instance, I couldn't figure out why the belt bar and the menu bar kept appearing and disappearing. At first I thought it was a bug. Then I finally figured out that a tap and hold toggles them. That was a VERY COOL feature and one I now use a lot. I have more reading space when I want it and menu/belt when I want that. And the theme switching button on the belt is great. I have different themes for light levels outside, inside, and late at night when the room is dark and my wife is trying to sleep. Amazingly the color I use in pitch black for text isn't even visible in outside daylight -- it just looks black.

I love this app and will definitely donate (I may have already but can't remember) but heck, its one I'll use so much donating twice won't kill me.

One thing I'd REALLY like to request though. If there's any way you could install a feature that TOGGLES to an edit mode, that would be great. Sometimes I get a book with an error in it and I'd like to correct it. Also I sometimes create my own reference docs which I convert and view with pReader. There is no good editor for the Pre yet, but it would be ideal here.

I was thinking that normally this thing is a reader and that's what most people want. But if you could TOGGLE to an edit mode where features then worked a little differently, you could edit away, then TOGGLE back to reader mode later. Perhaps you could even require a setting in the meta data to enable editing so most readers wouldn't have to deal with it. If pReader had THAT feature, I'd pay some much bigger bucks for it than I would already. Hopefully that tickled your brain and interested you.

In any event, thanks for a great reader!!! It's my MOST frequently used app and one of the main reasons I bought my old Palm. Now my new Palm is a good book reader too.
    jrsharp70 The books you bought in the app catalog aren't really book files to be read by a general purpose reader program. They come bundled with a custom reader. To read them, you must launch that books app - usually the same name as the book.

For example, if you bought Moby ****, you would look for the icon labelled Moby **** in your app launcher, tap on it, and read away.

pReader reads documents in several specific formats. See the app desciption for a list. There are many placed to get these books. Gutenberg.net has thousands of free books. Baen.com/library/ has free Sci-fi & fantasy. Webscription.net has all of baen's catalog for the last several years. Fictionwise.com has many books including NYT bestsellers. Just remember to purchase books in eReader format.

After you get a book, copy it to your phone in USB mode. With some sites, you can download directly to the phone. After you have them on the phone, run pReader, click add books, select all, select your book and it will start to import. If it is a copy protected eReader file, it will ask you for your credentials. This is the name and credit card # you used to purchase the book. Enter it EXACTLY as you did on the order - case matters. Enter the CC# with no spaces. The CC# is not save anywhere, it is just part of the encryption key used to open the book for the first time.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Here are the features that are needed before I can start modifying the Javascript part of the app to make use of the native backend (and subsequently release it); in no particular order:
    1. [DONE] Javascript ==> C++ large argument/return-value communication wrappers
    2. C++ ==> Javascript argument calls (hopefully WebOS 1.4.5 will allow this directly)
    3. Filesystem exploration support (to finally get rid of the insane Javascript FilePicker)
    4. [DONE] Compression support (LZ77, Deflate, ZIP-Files)
    5. Encryption/Hashing support (AES, CDICT, SHA-1)
    6. [DONE] Swap Memory support (to keep the "real" memory usage down)
    7. MHTML+XML ZIP-container format for the Library & Metadata storage (replacement for SQLite)
    8. [DONE] HTML parser
    9. PalmDOC, MobiPocket, eReader, ... format converters (to HTML)

Of course, after that's done, the Javascript part also has to be modified. And with "modified" I mean removing some 70-80% of the code; everything that will have a C++ replacement.
    Hi Jappus

Thank you very much for the status update.
    It is really great to see, how the native version comes along.

Thanks a lot for the great work you do...
    ...and all the best for your thesis.
    BTW: I am not sure if you mentioned it or not (if you did, then my memory is letting me down), but: What is the subject / title of your thesis?

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
  4.    #984  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael05 View Post
    One thing I'd REALLY like to request though. If there's any way you could install a feature that TOGGLES to an edit mode, that would be great. Sometimes I get a book with an error in it and I'd like to correct it. Also I sometimes create my own reference docs which I convert and view with pReader. There is no good editor for the Pre yet, but it would be ideal here.
    At the moment, an editing function would be of a somewhat questionable use, given that the pReader can't actually write the file back to your drive in any meaningful way. Javascript apps are only allowed to touch SQLite databases. Basically, even the method we use to read files is based around a great, big hack.

So, even if we implemented all the bells and whistles of a full editor, you would not be able to see the changes anywhere but inside the pReader.

Of course, the read/write restriction will fall with the native version. But even then, it'd be difficult to implement writing back to the original source format. Instead of methods that just read these files, we'd have to create methods to write them, too; which is a decidedly non-trivial task for some formats.

So, if we (or anyone else) decide to implement an editor, that editor will most likely only export to simple TXT/HTML files and the future internal MHTML+XML format of the pReader. Do note that we already plan to implement a feature that allows you to add your own notes, associate them with certain passages of a book and later export them. And if that feature proves that editing text is simple enough, a full editor (with the above restrictions) might be worth a shot, eventually.
  5.    #985  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    BTW: I am not sure if you mentioned it or not (if you did, then my memory is letting me down), but: What is the subject / title of your thesis?
    The preliminary title is (translated) "Implementing a High-Level Debugger for ODEMx"; where ODEMx is a specific simulation framework that was created at my University. A large part of my thesis also deals with how to implement a HL-Debugger inside the Eclipse IDE at all. After all, the documentation of the Eclipse IDE is ... abysmal to put it lightly. ~90% of my time is wasted by figuring out just how to prod Eclipse (and by proxy the GDB (Gnu Debugger)) to do the stuff I want.

So, apart from it using Eclipse; which I also use for pReader development, it has next to nothing to do with the pReader.
    Of course, the read/write restriction will fall with the native version. But even then, it'd be difficult to implement writing back to the original source format. Instead of methods that just read these files, we'd have to create methods to write them, too; which is a decidedly non-trivial task for some formats.
    That makes sense I guess. It would be a lot of work to write to the different formats. But it sure would be convenient to fix mistakes on the spot when you are reading them. I guess I'm just more compulsive about that than most people.

So, if we (or anyone else) decide to implement an editor, that editor will most likely only export to simple TXT/HTML files and the future internal MHTML+XML format of the pReader. Do note that we already plan to implement a feature that allows you to add your own notes, associate them with certain passages of a book and later export them. And if that feature proves that editing text is simple enough, a full editor (with the above restrictions) might be worth a shot, eventually.
    Well, I guess I can live in hope. But even if that never comes along, you still wrote my favorite app. Can't thank you enough.
    Great App! I use Pre for reading eBooks more than any other reason. I am accustomed to using eReader & being able to highlight a word & it will popup in a dictionary. pReader says it has default dictionaries, but I don't see how to use them other than opening them like another book. What am I missing?
  8.    #988  
    Quote Originally Posted by GranPaSmurf View Post
    Great App! I use Pre for reading eBooks more than any other reason. I am accustomed to using eReader & being able to highlight a word & it will popup in a dictionary. pReader says it has default dictionaries, but I don't see how to use them other than opening them like another book. What am I missing?
    Well, that depends on what you mean.

I know that some publishers used either the MobiPocket or the eReader format to publish offline dictionaries. In the old applications that supported them, you opened those files and then could query it for certain phrases or simply just browse the dictionary. If you mean those files, then, yes, the pReader does not really support them and treats them like any other book. You could still use the pReader's internal search function, but over all, it's not exactly the most thrilling experience.

But I can also interpret your posting as posing a different question: Namely, how to look up words from any arbitrary book by simply selecting the passages and querying an online dictionary with them.

If that's what you meant, then, I can tell you that the pReader supports that; at least in a limited way. By simply opening the app menu (top left corner of the screen) or setting one of the two belt-bar buttons to "Dictionary", you can activate the "Dictionary mode" of the pReader. In that mode, the pReader simply converts all single words into links. When you tap on such a link, the pReader opens a dialogue and asks you which dictionary you'd like to query. There are a few default dictionaries pre-programmed into the pReader (Wikipedia (English + German), Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, etc. pp.) but you can add your own, too.

Anyways, as soon as you selected the appropriate dictionary, pReader opens the dictionary in the web browser and queries it for the selected word.

Of course, this only allows you to select a single word. That's a restriction I'd really like to lift, but unfortunately, I've not yet found the time to find out how to enable the text-highlighting mode that's used, for example, by the browser.

Soooo... if anyone volunteers to find out how it's done, I'd be grateful.

And yeah, by the way: You can probably expect a v0.8.11 in the next week or so, which will add more text encodings (like the missing CP-encodings, KOI-8R and a few others) and first and foremost a small, non-intrusive progress bar during reading.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    And yeah, by the way: You can probably expect a v0.8.11 in the next week or so, which will add more text encodings (like the missing CP-encodings, KOI-8R and a few others) and first and foremost a small, non-intrusive progress bar during reading.
    It seems that the holidays really charged your batteries.
    Despite your thesis, your are back at the pReader with full steam.

Looking forward to you new release.

And can't wait for the native version.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I've been getting my ebooks from ereader.com but two of my favorites authors are not in their catalog anymore...do the new borders.com ebooks work? I see that unencrypted ePub books work, but I wanted to make sure before I purchase any from borders.com. TIA
    Is anyone else having trouble getting pReader to read epub books? I have several free ones I downloaded from Barnes and Noble today and it will not read any of them- it just says something about how the file is not supported. This is the first time I've used pReader.

Oh and I also downloaded an epub or two from feedbooks.com, and am having the exact same problem. The Kindle files from the same website work just fine, but I want to have a library of epubs because I don't want to be tied to the Kindle when I finally buy an ereader.
    All the epub books I have tried to view have not been formatted correctly.
  13.    #993  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricyteach View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble getting pReader to read epub books? I have several free ones I downloaded from Barnes and Noble today and it will not read any of them- it just says something about how the file is not supported. This is the first time I've used pReader.
    Well, that sounds like these books are DRM protected. Unfortunately, you first have to strip the DRM off of them before you can read them in the pReader. Eventually, we do plan to make the pReader capable of decoding the DRM, but we're not there yet.

Oh and I also downloaded an epub or two from feedbooks.com, and am having the exact same problem. The Kindle files from the same website work just fine, but I want to have a library of epubs because I don't want to be tied to the Kindle when I finally buy an ereader.
    Could you send me one of those files, or if they're free post a link to one? Because if there's really a bug in the ePub handling code, we need a file that triggers the bug to fix it.
  14.    #994  
    Quote Originally Posted by magistus View Post
    All the epub books I have tried to view have not been formatted correctly.
    Could you be more specific with that? Is the order of text files wrong? Is the text adjusted wrongly? Are there spacing problems? Do you see errant tags that should not be visible? Again, just as with the problems described by Riceyteach, the only way for us to fix those issues is if we have a file that exhibits the problems you describe.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I noticed that when I use the Times font, italics does not work, although bold does. Italics works for the other available fonts (I didn't try a custom font).

I'm pretty sure the italics version is available, because it works when I hacked ClassicNote to use the Times font.

I was using The Grim Candidate, an EPub generated by fanfictionloader.appspot.com
  16.    #996  
    Quote Originally Posted by doconnor View Post
    I noticed that when I use the Times font, italics does not work, although bold does. Italics works for the other available fonts (I didn't try a custom font).

I'm pretty sure the italics version is available, because it works when I hacked ClassicNote to use the Times font.
    Yup, the Times-font seems to be broken on WebOS. Or well, not exactly broken in the "damaged" sense, but broken in the "split up" sense.

You see, when you examine the "/usr/share/fonts" folder where WebOS stores all of its fonts, you find that all fonts come in several variations. For example, the default font used by Palm is called "Coconut" and hides itself in the following six files:
    • Coconut-BoldD.ttf
    • Coconut-BoldOblique.ttf
    • Coconut-Medium.ttf
    • Coconut-MediumOblique.ttf
    • CoconutCondensed-Bold.ttf
    • CoconutCondensed-Medium.ttf

The difference between them is simply that all characters in the "Bold" are bolded, all in the "Oblique" ones are oblique/italicised and the "Condensed" ones use a smaller distance between the letters. Only the "Coconot-Medium.ttf" file contains all characters in their original, plain form and all the other forms (looking at the file size probably with the help of hinting).

Anyway, the Times font also comes in multiple variation ... but with the small difference that the main "times.ttf" font unfortunately does not contain correct italics. As such, the applications do not render italics, unless you use the "timesbi.ttf" font.

And here's the rub: Usually, figuring out that the glyphs are missing and automatically loading the alternative glyphs from the italicised alternative TTF file is the job of the "Fontconfig" program. Due to some weird reason, though, it doesn't seem to do its job with Times.

So, there's really not that much I can do about it. Pretty much the only thing I could do would be to manually do what Fontconfig is supposed to do, namely making sure that whenever an italics-tag is used, that the appropriate font is loaded. But well ... that's pretty much bordering on a very ugly hack.

I'll look into it and see if I can find an elegant solution, but really, the best option would be if Palm solved the problem, because it's a bug that occurs in their ballpark, not mine.
    First off I'd like to say "Thanks!" for writing this app. It's very well done given the limitations that the current SDK places on you. After looking briefly at your notes on what needs to be done in the "native" version I'm very much looking forward to that release.

I've noticed a problem with the last few Mobipocket books I've installed. (I apologize if this has been asked and answered already - I didn't see it in my quick review of the thread.) Some of the text is completely lost when the book is imported. For example, here's a section of one book as it should be:
    They nodded in agreement. That would raise tensions at least.

Jason put down the trigger group he was tuning and said, "But he is micromanaging, meddling, and really class conscious, as well as, in my opinion, a bit of a bigot. He doesn't like any of the non-European staff. I watch him twitch when Shaman's around, too."

Shaman nodded. "I see that as well. If it's obvious to others . . ."
    And here's how it appears in pReader:
    They nodded in agreement. That would raise tensions at least.

Jason pu="0p

Shaman nodded. "I see that as well. If it's obvious to others . . ."
    [Edit: the other issue I found can be resolved by changing the encoding from Latin to UTF-8]

Any suggestions? Will changing the font help with this issue? I can send you copies of the files if need be. I don't recall it happening with previous Mobipocket files, but perhaps it's changes made to pReader since I imported those.

Thanks again!

Nick
    Last edited by Nick31; 07/14/2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Removed notes about incorrect formatting of characters
    all of a sudden I can only get centered mode under alignment.
    Laissez Faire
  19.    #999  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    I've noticed a problem with the last few Mobipocket books I've installed. (I apologize if this has been asked and answered already - I didn't see it in my quick review of the thread.) Some of the text is completely lost when the book is imported. For example, here's a section of one book as it should be:

[...]

And here's how it appears in pReader:

[...]

Any suggestions? Will changing the font help with this issue? I can send you copies of the files if need be. I don't recall it happening with previous Mobipocket files, but perhaps it's changes made to pReader since I imported those.
    As far as I can tell, the pReader tries to remove a tag from the file, but somehow stumbles and takes a good deal of proper plain text with it. It'd be great if you could send me one of those files that are affected by it (and a hint where the text-munching occurs), because that's really the only way how such a bug can be fixed.

I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

Thanks!
  20.    #1000  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    all of a sudden I can only get centered mode under alignment.
    Mhhhm, that's really, really strange, because that particular option is hardcoded into the pReader with the following code:
    Code:
    this.controller.setupWidget("listAlign",
    	this.attributes = {
    		label: $L("Alignment"),
    		choices: [
    			{label: $L("Justified"), value: 1},
    			{label: $L("Left-align"), value: 2},
    			{label: $L("Right-align"), value: 3},
    			{label: $L("Centered"), value: 4},
    		]
    	},
    	this.model = {
    		value: globalOptions.textAlignment,
    		disabled: false
    	}
    );
    So even if your global options field was broken somehow (which would result in globalOptions.textAlignment being garbage), those four options should still be properly displayed.

Mhhhm, of course, something could've changed the Javascript code itself on disk. It is not unheard of that a cell of flash memory subtly fails and alters its content. To exclude this possibility, could you install InternalZ on your Pre and browse to and open:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader/app/assistants/Options-assistant.jsjsjs.

The above fragment should be located at line 369 (of 1488), in the function "OptionsAssistant.prototype.initText". This should be located at a quarter into the file.

If you do find that this file is corrupted, you'll probably have to either re-install the pReader completely, or overwrite that file with a working copy from the source zip which I've attached to the first posting of this thread.