Page 49 of 72 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Not sure what you mean when you say the file is not changed? Calibre creates a whole new file in a separate folder. Are you sure you are looking in the right folder for the converted file?
    Where do I find it? I opened the list of formats and opened pdb and saw the book there. But when I transferred it it came out as a mobi file and is still very garbled. Should I look somewhere else?
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Ok, Step-by-step instructions after launching Calibre:

(1) Hit the "Add Books" icon.
    (2) Choose your unDRM'd Kindle Book - It will now show up on the Calibre Library
    (3) Highlight the book you want to convert
    (4) Hit the "Convert E-Books" icon
    (5) Choose "PDB" from the drop down menu at the top right corner.
    (6) Choose "PDB Output" icon on the left hand side
    (7) Choose "Ereader format" from the drop down menu at the top right corner and check the "Inline ToC" box on the left hand side.
    (8) Hit "OK"
    (9) Bottom right should show "Jobs:1". Wait for the job to finish and the path for your new file should be shown on the bottom of the Calibre page.
    (10) Goto the new file and upload it to the Pre.

Hint: You could change your preference settings so that you don't have to go through all these steps the next time but you could figure that out once you get to used to the program.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much. I was OK until the "path" -- I had not seen that. Works like a charm.
    Laissez Faire
    I have a question about pReader if someone would be so kind to answer.

First off, I want to say I use pReader just about everyday and love it. My hat is off to the developer.

If I understand correctly, to make pReader work correctly on WebOS, it takes the ebook, uploads it online somewhere, converts it to a HTML format and then puts it back on the WebOS device for reading on pReader.

If I am correct on my understanding, I just would like to no how trustworthy the online conversion site it? I have a few sensitive documents I would like to read through pReader and am just curious. The files are large and don't work well with the Doc View app but works well in pReader.

Thanks for any information on this!
    No, pReader doesn't do that. All conversion is done locally on the phone. That's why it takes a little bit of time to complete - having to do this locally with Javascript is not going to break any speed records. The OTHER reader - popeli reader - transfers the files to a server for conversion. Interestingly, this takes about as long as local conversion with pReader. The author "claims" it is secure and deleted after conversion, but there has no proof - just trust.

I'm NOT saying it isn't secure, that's all we've been told.

That's another reason why pReader can be a better option. If you're in an area of poor reception or in airplane mode, you can't open a new, previously unread book in popeli reader - you can in pReader.

Of course the big advantage is you can open DRM (copyprotected) books in pReader but not in popeli. Also, development seems to have stopped on popeli - there have been no updates since March. Jappus is constantly updating pReader with fixed, tweaks, and new features - he's very approachable and responsive. Just not right now, he's on vacation and completing his thesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    No, pReader doesn't do that. All conversion is done locally on the phone. That's why it takes a little bit of time to complete - having to do this locally with Javascript is not going to break any speed records. The OTHER reader - popeli reader - transfers the files to a server for conversion. Interestingly, this takes about as long as local conversion with pReader. The author "claims" it is secure and deleted after conversion, but there has no proof - just trust.

I'm NOT saying it isn't secure, that's all we've been told.

That's another reason why pReader can be a better option. If you're in an area of poor reception or in airplane mode, you can't open a new, previously unread book in popeli reader - you can in pReader.

Of course the big advantage is you can open DRM (copyprotected) books in pReader but not in popeli. Also, development seems to have stopped on popeli - there have been no updates since March. Jappus is constantly updating pReader with fixed, tweaks, and new features - he's very approachable and responsive. Just not right now, he's on vacation and completing his thesis.
    govotsos, Thanks very much for your reply. Very helpful. I did not realize that pReader converted locally. That is good. I absolutely think that pReader is great. If I remember correctly popeli, costs money and does not do drm ebooks. pReader is free, handles many formats and drm. The options are great. And I have communicated with Jappus in the past with ideas and he is very nice to work with. I would be more than happy to pay for pReader if it was a paid app.

If my memory serves me correctly I believe I have donated to pReader and I suggest that everyone that uses it should. I will have to double check to see if I have, if I haven't I will.
  7.    #967  
    Hi everyone. I'm back! Yay!

Now, if only my thesis were already finished... /wishful-thinking

What would be ideal would be to have the progress percent in the top bar of the phone. Barring that (which I'm guessing Palm won't let you do anyway), a very slim (1 or 2 pixel) bar on the side of the screen. Not using the belt bar at all. It's a bit overkill for just a progress bar / meter. Just my 2¢.
    Yeah, that sounds like a great idea, and on top of it all, it is really rather simple to implement. I don't know why I didn't notice that. Afterall, it's done the same way in the old ReadThemAll app for PalmOS.

I added it to my ToDo list.

Quote Originally Posted by jccpalm View Post
    Un souci tout de même, l'APP STORE Oficiel refuse régulièrement l'installation il faut donc passer pas WOS quick Install

Pourquoi ce reader n'est-il pas reconnu par l''official app catalog' ? Est-ce parce que je suis en France ?

Sinon, continuez, excellente application
    Mhhhm, it should work. At least I've checked all the necessary checkboxes during the v0.8.10 release. And my developer.palm.com page also displays France+French as an activated language. Strange. I'll ask Yannick (our French translator) if it works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    restoring pReader library?

Has someone worked out how to restore the library yet? It's stored here, but the database-renaming trick above didn't work.
    Yeah, it's almost impossible to restore the database. You'd have to know the exact mapping WebOS uses from the database name to the file name and rename all the files accordingly.

That's why the native version will drop this entire system and instead use a much saner storage system based on ZIP, MHT and XML files which can be properly backed-up and even eventually manipulated by external apps.
    Welcome home. Hope you had some great R & R!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    A warm welcome also from Switzerland.

It was very quite here around. Without those great updates continuously coming in.

Hardly can wait for the native version.

NB: All best with your thesis.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i was told this: "you might tell the person who could NOT open the "free" e-reader book that these too require unlocking using his account info from the account he used to download it. If he didn't notice this when using e-reader it is because ereader stores a copy of that info so that one does not have to re-enter it over and over."

can i use PDB files with this??

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Yes, you can open pdb files as long as they are plain text palm doc files or html files. Files in isilo won't open.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Yes, you can open pdb files as long as they are plain text palm doc files or html files. Files in isilo won't open.

thats too bad

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Sorry I entered so fast. Those are the unprotected formats. pReader can asp open eReader and Mobi pdb files with AND without protection. Check the description in the App Cataog for the full list of formats supported. You won't find a single ereader on any platform with better format support, and it's FREE.
    hi everybody i'm writting from méxico i use the reader and looks great but i see a little probleme i use a software to transform the word do****s in epub it's called stanza, also has a iphone version, but here is the thing in the stanza program its rigth the transformation i can see the accents like á é or ñ in spanish those are very importan and the preader doesnt recognoisit so any thouths thank you greetings from mexico
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arturosanji View Post
    hi everybody i'm writting from méxico i use the reader and looks great but i see a little probleme i use a software to transform the word do****s in epub it's called stanza, also has a iphone version, but here is the thing in the stanza program its rigth the transformation i can see the accents like á é or ñ in spanish those are very importan and the preader doesnt recognoisit so any thouths thank you greetings from mexico
    hi arturosanji

pReader DOES support most languages of the world and their respective accents. (Through UTF-8 encoding.)

If in stanza you can choose to use UTF-8 encoding, all those accents should be saved.
    pReader can then easily "import" the files with accents. Just make sure the setting for the encoding in pReader is set to UTF-8 as well.

Therefore go to settings / preferences (pReader main menu), there to text formatting, select the standard encoding and set it to UTF-8.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rgloor; 06/30/2010 at 12:05 AM.
  16.    #976  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    pReader can then easily import the files with accents. Just make sure the setting for the encoding in pReader is set to UTF-8 as well.

Therefore go to settings / preferences (pReader main menu), there to text formatting, select the standard encoding and set it to UTF-8.
    Actually, during import, the pReader couldn't care less about the encoding of the file, as it's completely transparent at that point. After all, it's just a matter of displaying the right characters, not a matter of storing them in a different way (remember: even a text file is just a stream of numbers).

So even if you imported files while you had set your default encoding to, say, CP-1252, you can still change that encoding later on, by simply opening the book and selecting "Change encoding" from the top-left app-menu.

All the "default encoding" entry in the options scene does is to influence which encoding is used when you open a file for the very first time. After that, the used encoding is stored for each file separately and can be changed (by using the above mentioned method) without having to re-import the files.

Of course, if you know that all (or at least most) files that you have will be in, say, UTF-8, you can of course save a lot of taps by setting the default encoding properly.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    That's why the native version will drop this entire system and instead use a much saner storage system based on ZIP, MHT and XML files which can be properly backed-up and even eventually manipulated by external apps.
    hi Jappus

How is the native version coming along?
    Remember, before he left he said a couple of months after he gets back. I figure right now he's enjoying a vacation from the vacation
  19.    #979  
    Remember, before he left he said a couple of months after he gets back. I figure right now he's enjoying a vacation from the vacation
    Actually, every few days I take a short break from writing my thesis and if nothing else (like social life ) comes up, I try to get a sub-feature of the native version ready. At the moment, I'm still in the middle of implementing the C++ backend which does all the "grunt" work.

Here are the features that are needed before I can start modifying the Javascript part of the app to make use of the native backend (and subsequently release it); in no particular order:
    1. [DONE] Javascript ==> C++ large argument/return-value communication wrappers
    2. C++ ==> Javascript argument calls (hopefully WebOS 1.4.5 will allow this directly)
    3. Filesystem exploration support (to finally get rid of the insane Javascript FilePicker)
    4. [DONE] Compression support (LZ77, Deflate, ZIP-Files)
    5. Encryption/Hashing support (AES, CDICT, SHA-1)
    6. [DONE] Swap Memory support (to keep the "real" memory usage down)
    7. MHTML+XML ZIP-container format for the Library & Metadata storage (replacement for SQLite)
    8. [DONE] HTML parser
    9. PalmDOC, MobiPocket, eReader, ... format converters (to HTML)

Of course, after that's done, the Javascript part also has to be modified. And with "modified" I mean removing some 70-80% of the code; everything that will have a C++ replacement.
    I am sorry to say that I could not sift through 44 pages of text about your very popular app, and the simple search function didn't turn anything up.

I have 4 books bought from the app store on my Pixi. The pReader says "Your document list is empty". I created a documents folder on the device, only to realize that my books are not in any of the folders.

I can't donate to a program that I can't figure out and I really want this one to work