Page 48 of 72 FirstFirst ... 38434445464748495051525358 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    What would be ideal would be to have the progress percent in the top bar of the phone. Barring that (which I'm guessing Palm won't let you do anyway), a very slim (1 or 2 pixel) bar on the side of the screen. Not using the belt bar at all. It's a bit overkill for just a progress bar / meter. Just my 2¢.
    Ooh, I like the sound of that. How about a single-pixel progress bar across the bottom, but when you tap the gesture area it pops up the full belt bar. Think of it like the minimized taskbar in Windows.
    Un souci tout de même, l'APP STORE Oficiel refuse régulièrement l'installation il faut donc passer pas WOS quick Install

Pourquoi ce reader n'est-il pas reconnu par l''official app catalog' ? Est-ce parce que je suis en France ?

Sinon, continuez, excellente application

Merci
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1561 View Post
    I'm confused, I want to buy a book but the only format I can find it in is ePub. Mobipocket had it on there web site but it's not there when I did my last search for it for some reason. Will pReader display ePub format or not, I've read what I can find and am completely confused, I have to pay for the book at ereader.com I think, so it's probably DRM'ed. I've got Calibre so I could convert it I guess, I haven't used Calibre yet so I would have to figure it out. I have a lot of ebooks in .lit that I would like to convert to read on pReader anyway.
    If you get the older PC reader versions of Kindle and Barnes & Noble (Nook), you can read books from Amazon and B & N with pReader. The Kindle takes software to convert to Mobi, but the B&N is readable instantly. Both have to downloaded to your PC first, but that's not a big issue.
    sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm curious, does anyone know if preader creates another fullsized file when you add a book and if so, where can you find it?
    Thought i would post a tip for pReader - sorry if this has already been discussed but I'm not going to read all 48 pages of this thread tonight. This is something I saw on my friend's iPhone book app that I thought would be cool for pReader - a custom theme for reading at night, (next to your spouse or significant other), without shining so much brightness off of your screen that it will keep them awake.

All of this was done by simply going into "pReader | Preferences":
    First, I saved the default settings to a newly created theme named "Default", (original huh), then did the same thing to a theme called "Night". Changed current theme to "Night" (see "Theme" and the dropdown menu to the right of it) - then edited the Display, changed the color to "Custom" and typed in "Blue" for the custom background color.

Next I changed Text Display, Color setting to "Custom" and typed in "Yellow", (later on you might want to try light gray to see how it suits your own eyes here too if yellow text appears to bright).

For my eyes, the yellow text on a blue background is easy to read and rather relaxing in dark conditions - yet it doesn't keep the wife awake at night.

You can kick back and forth between the two themes by simply going into Preferences and selecting which you want from the dropdown menu displayed next to "Theme".
  7. viv
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Thought i would post a tip for pReader - sorry if this has already been discussed but I'm not going to read all 48 pages of this thread tonight. This is something I saw on my friend's iPhone book app that I thought would be cool for pReader - a custom theme for reading at night, (next to your spouse or significant other), without shining so much brightness off of your screen that it will keep them awake.

All of this was done by simply going into "pReader | Preferences":
    First, I saved the default settings to a newly created theme named "Default", (original huh), then did the same thing to a theme called "Night". Changed current theme to "Night" (see "Theme" and the dropdown menu to the right of it) - then edited the Display, changed the color to "Custom" and typed in "Blue" for the custom background color.

Next I changed Text Display, Color setting to "Custom" and typed in "Yellow", (later on you might want to try light gray to see how it suits your own eyes here too if yellow text appears to bright).

For my eyes, the yellow text on a blue background is easy to read and rather relaxing in dark conditions - yet it doesn't keep the wife awake at night.

You can kick back and forth between the two themes by simply going into Preferences and selecting which you want from the dropdown menu displayed next to "Theme".
    The other way to switch back and forth with themes is to set one of the beltbar icons to "Theme".
    restoring pReader preferences and themes

I had to reload pReader after a recent crash and discovered that my preferences and all of the custom themes I'd created were gone. I tried restoring from a known good backup made with the Backup Utility, but everything was still back to defaults. After poking around in the filesystem a bit, what I discovered was that pReader had created a new preferences database and was ignoring the old one. The file was located here:
    /var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.mhwsoft.preader_0/
    The trick was to delete the newly created .db file (with the most recent datestamp) and rename the restored preferences file to match it. pReader then correctly picked up my old preferences.

restoring pReader library?

Has someone worked out how to restore the library yet? It's stored here, but the database-renaming trick above didn't work:
    /media/internal/.app-storage/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.mhwsoft.preader_0

I downloaded a few free eBooks from AppBookShop. They require a whole separate eBook Reader "app" for each book.

Is there any way to view these books with pReader? Seems silly to have several nearly identical "apps" which all load the same eBook Reader with a different book.

(PS, @oldgeekster: I love your avatar, it looks like my very first Palm device).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I downloaded a few free eBooks from AppBookShop. They require a whole separate eBook Reader "app" for each book.

Is there any way to view these books with pReader? Seems silly to have several nearly identical "apps" which all load the same eBook Reader with a different book.
    They're just a series of html files for each chapter, which the app front end provides an index to along with a "cover page" graphic.

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.appbookshop.earth/books
    chapter01.html
    chapter01.html
    chapter02.html
    chapter03.html
    chapter04.html
    chapter05.html
    chapter06.html
    chapter07.html
    chapter08.html
    forward.html
    So you could just copy them from there to the USB partition (/media/internal), although they'll show up as separate files in pReader.

Here's chapter01.html (as text, since this site won't accept an HTML file) from their "Planet Earth" book. Download it to view in pReader and you'll see they're exactly the same (and no, the notes in brackets don't link anywhere).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zParticle; 06/14/2010 at 11:56 AM.

Heh, just realized these books were pretty much stripped wholesale from Wikipedia, so rather than reverse engineering their content, why not simply go to the source? Pull up the identical content with better formatting using a Wikipedia front-end like Wapedia or heck, use your web browser!

(PS, @oldgeekster: I love your avatar, it looks like my very first Palm device).
    I started reading eBooks on that old Palm m130 and loved it. These days for purchasing new books I use my Amazon Kindle (2-I) and think of that as my "serious" e-reading environment. I love the full sync between Kindle/Amazon/Kindle-for-PC... But I do NOT carry it around all over.

My cell goes with me *everywhere* just like my old m130 did. It was back then I discovered my passion for reading very old pulp-fiction novels, (in particular "Doc Savage"), in eBook format.

I am a reader *not* a gamer, so pReader permits me an effective way to fight boredom while standing in line, waiting for a doctor's appointment, and any one of 1,000 other instances where I would otherwise be growing bored of just "people watching". For such a purpose (non-serious reading) I think going with free ebooks is the obvious answer. Yep - I'm re-reading all of those old Doc Savage books, (there are 181 of them that I am aware of).

Upon establishing USB between my notebook computer and Palm Pre +, one of the very first things I did was create a /media/internals/ebooks folder/directory, and transfer my Doc Savage collection of mobi books over to my phone. Adding them to pReader's "Collection" one-by-one in the same order that I am reading them, (think "as I am ready for the next one"), just seemed a natural thing to do.

These days, I use Calibre to manage my "free book collection" on my notebook and everything in there has been converted to mobi format using that wonderful program. There are versions of Calibre for linux, (which I use), winders and the Mac.

Life is good, it goes by fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    My cell goes with me *everywhere* just like my old m130 did. It was back then I discovered my passion for reading very old pulp-fiction novels, (in particular "Doc Savage"), in eBook format.
    I can relate. The thing I go back to reading whenever I have a few minutes is The Shadow pulps. I'm lucky, I have 335 to read
    Japus,
    I donated, thank you for a good reader app. I wish you much success.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I can relate. The thing I go back to reading whenever I have a few minutes is The Shadow pulps. I'm lucky, I have 335 to read
    Where did you get your The Shadow stories?
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    If you like science fiction & fantasy, the best source for non drmed books by big name authors is Baen. At baenfreelibrary.com, they have a couple hundred books absolutely free. At wescription.net, are several hundred more for purchase (you can get the free ones here also) from Baen & a few other publishers. There is no membership fee, you just pay for the books.

They also have something they call webscriptions. You purchase a block of books (usually around 6+ from the same publication year or the same author). They initially release the books in serial form (like the magazines of old) - usually 4 parts, once a month then after serialization, they release the whole book. You get both the serialization & whole book. They cost $10 - $15 for 6 - 10 books.

You can also get Advanced Reader Copies. These are unproofed books straight from the author's word processor. You get to read a book before it ever leaves editing, never mind general release.

Baen's books are complete books, not teasers, with inline images and links (depending on format). You can download books in many formats: eBookwise, Rocket Reader, mobipocket, Kindle, EPUB, Microsoft reader (lit), Sony reader, RTF, HTML, and for the iPhone / iTouch using Stanza or bookshelf (to purchase & download books) once purchased you can download repeatedly in multiple formats.

If you are disabled (blind, paralyzed, dyslexic, or an amputee), you can hit the link on the homepage and apply for VIP membership. This gives you access to all their books for free. A wonderful give back from Baen. This should be a resource that will keep you busy for a while.
    Sorry to pick up on such an old post but speaking of Baen for free ebooks, y'all might want to browse around:
    WebScription Ebooks

~~~

Did you know that you can actually activate a content server in Calibre (it uses your computers ip address with port :8080 i.e http://192.168.0.xxx:8080/ ) - the iPhone "Stanza" reader connects to it on your local WiFi network and you can browse/transfer your collection of ebooks. (Of course with that combination it requires books in .PUB format).

Wouldn't it be great to have a future expansion of pReader's capability do something similar for mobi and other formats it has enabled? Just a thought...
    Finally got Kindle books to work. Question: Using calibre, which format works bet on preader?
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Finally got Kindle books to work. Question: Using calibre, which format works bet on preader?
    For me, I convert to PDB (eReader option) with Table of Contents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    For me, I convert to PDB (eReader option) with Table of Contents.
    Now I can't get Calibre to convert to pdb. It seems to be but at the end the file is not changed. This is a Kindle book with the DRM stripped. I can get it in mobi or ebup but not pdb. When I send it to the pre and open it it is a mess [[ lots of nonsense characters. Could it be this one book or am I missing something?
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Now I can't get Calibre to convert to pdb. It seems to be but at the end the file is not changed. This is a Kindle book with the DRM stripped. I can get it in mobi or ebup but not pdb. When I send it to the pre and open it it is a mess [[ lots of nonsense characters. Could it be this one book or am I missing something?
    Not sure what you mean when you say the file is not changed? Calibre creates a whole new file in a separate folder. Are you sure you are looking in the right folder for the converted file?