Page 47 of 72 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Thanks Jappus! Just installed and seems to be working quite well. Love the "OK" button to access the dictionary and the Metadata access from within the reader is a nice touch.
    Thank you for this release Jappus. Its looking great so far. Have a great vacation .
    Hope this catches you before you leave: any new date for us being able to "use" files larger then 10MB? Thanks for all you do and the great program pReader is!
  4.    #924  
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Hope this catches you before you leave: any new date for us being able to "use" files larger then 10MB? Thanks for all you do and the great program pReader is!
    Basically, as soon as the native version is released. I'm currently implementing the container format for the new Library code. After that, the various import algorithms need to be reimplemented. After that, I'll write the new directory/file traversal system. After that, the Javascript GUI must be rewritten to make use of these new capabilities. And then we'll first do some internal tests to make sure that it doesn't blow your Pre/Pixi into tiny pieces.

If Palm has opened the App Catalog at that point, we'll release the experimental v0.9.0 version. If not, we'll do a separate "pReaderNative" release here on the PreCentral Homebrew feeds.

So, if all goes well? Roughly 2 Months development time. Since I'll be gone for much of June, that's ~3 months. Of course, I'll keep y'all updated if it goes faster, or slower. After all, depending on how much I can re-use existing C/C++ libraries, things will be easier, or much harder.
    Beautiful app, Jappus! I have little doubt I'll log more hours with this than any others. A significant upgrade from eReader on PalmOS, for free!

I was messing around with the Preferences (thanks for giving us so many!) to try to match my favorite eReader theme, "da Vinci", which is sort of a brown text on ivory, or ivory text on brown when inverted. For some reason, it didn't know the color "brown", so I tried #683A2F which seems to be pretty close.

I also like the default parchment background with the default or black text.

If I had one request, it would be a toggle to force reformatting of paragraphs that include hard carriage returns. Basically, ignore all single CRs, while rendering double CRs. This would make text flow smoothly even for badly formatted files that I haven't taken time to correct elsewhere.

Whether you get to my request or not, thanks so much for this!
  6.    #926  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I was messing around with the Preferences (thanks for giving us so many!) to try to match my favorite eReader theme, "da Vinci", which is sort of a brown text on ivory, or ivory text on brown when inverted. For some reason, it didn't know the color "brown", so I tried #683A2F which seems to be pretty close.
    Yeah, the official W3C standard only defines 16 colours that have to be included, namely: Aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow.

All the others are wholly dependent on the browser you use. WebOS uses Apple's WebKit engine which is the one used in Safari (and on the iPhone). If you want a specific colour, it's often simpler to use the Hexadecimal notation.

It's just too bad that WebOS has no colour picker widget. Eventually, I'll probably have to scavenge one off the web and use that instead.

If I had one request, it would be a toggle to force reformatting of paragraphs that include hard carriage returns. Basically, ignore all single CRs, while rendering double CRs. This would make text flow smoothly even for badly formatted files that I haven't taken time to correct elsewhere.
    Yeah, that's already on my ToDo list. I merely delayed it because we'll have to re-implement the layouting engine anyway.

By the way, here's my current ToDo list, if you're curious.
    1. Clean up / fix HTML tags --> Rewrite HTML Parser
    2. Import Metadata fields from formats other than ePub
    3. Implement multiple category selection
    4. Add option to add/remove n linebreaks from every consecutive run.
    5. Charset of international book titles is still wrong.
    6. Add "Series" and "Custom" fields to the metadata editor
    7. Add option to generate a TOC by scanning for Keywords (Chapter, Part, etc)
    8. Implement user-defined and freely exportable notes
    9. Figure out how to do text highlighting --> Implement shift-tap Copy&Paste feature

If you have more suggestions, don't be afraid to post them.
    Number 6 sounds particularly interesting. Will this let us display a list of books in a partular series - like we can do now for chapters? Or can we search the series field from the booklist or an option to display the series field in the list along with the title?

How flexible will it be? Let me give you an idea of my "ideal" use for this field. I already use the category field to sort books by author. Some authors have multiple books in multiple series. Take Frank Patterson. He has three series - Alex Cross, Maximm Ride, and Murder Wives Club. I'd want to make the category Patterson, Frank. For the series field I'd want to use AC 1, AC 2 ..., MR. 1, MR. 2 ..., MWC 1, MWC 2 ... For Agatha Chistie I'd use a simpler setup. Category Chistie, Agatha. Series would just be Poirot, Marple, T & TP, and other.

I'm assuming rigt now you're looking at the second method only. The first method would let us separate by series AND let us keep the books in order. Would it be possible to implement this without each one creating a "new" series? Or maybe add a field that would hold "book number in series" and be displayable at the same time as series?

Thanks. Enjoy your vacation!
  8.    #928  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Number 6 sounds particularly interesting. Will this let us display a list of books in a partular series - like we can do now for chapters? Or can we search the series field from the booklist or an option to display the series field in the list along with the title?
    If you simply type in your query in the Library Window, the pReader searches through ALL the metadata by default.

So yes, if I added such a field (or you simply misused one of the other fields, like "Publisher"), the pReader would filter that list for you.

How flexible will it be? Let me give you an idea of my "ideal" use for this field. I already use the category field to sort books by author. Some authors have multiple books in multiple series. Take Frank Patterson. He has three series - Alex Cross, Maximm Ride, and Murder Wives Club. I'd want to make the category Patterson, Frank. For the series field I'd want to use AC 1, AC 2 ..., MR. 1, MR. 2 ..., MWC 1, MWC 2 ... For Agatha Chistie I'd use a simpler setup. Category Chistie, Agatha. Series would just be Poirot, Marple, T & TP, and other.

I'm assuming rigt now you're looking at the second method only. The first method would let us separate by series AND let us keep the books in order. Would it be possible to implement this without each one creating a "new" series? Or maybe add a field that would hold "book number in series" and be displayable at the same time as series?
    I think my above comment pretty much answers that your ideal setup is already (more or less) possible right now.

If you used the author's name as category, and shanghaied the current "Publisher" field and put the Series' name into it, you can easily select for Author AND series by selecting "Agatha Christie" as the category and then typing "Poirot" for example.

The pReader would then apply the following two filters:
    1.) Only display books that are in the "Christie, Agatha" category and
    2.) filter that list down to those that contain "Poirot" anywhere in the author, title, publisher or language field.

Of course, this kind of selection is rather limited, since it won't allow you to search for a term like "Poirot OR Marple".

Basically, I'm still looking at ways how I could offer you that kind of flexible filtering without complicating things too much for people who just want to find that book with "Baskerville" in its name.

Ohh, and yeah, before I forget it, the above ToDo list does not include things that are already essential for the transition to the native version of the pReader. One such essential element is the move from the SQLite-based Library to a library based on "real" files which uses XML, MHT and ZIP containers as storage medium.

That way, it'll be much, much easier for someone else to write an external application that would allow you to manage the Library & the Metadata from a PC (which is really much more suited for managing large libraries) and not just exclusively from the Palm device itself. Additionally, it would also allow you to easily backup your whole library.
    Cool, thanks for your detailed reply. It's fun to get a little glimpse into the possible future of pReader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    • Add option to add/remove n linebreaks from every consecutive run.
    Would it be possible to parse the file in a way that left the double linebreaks intact but stripped the single ones? This way it would maintain the clean breaks between paragraphs instead of running them together in the case where you're starting with hard-wrapped paragraphs. Something like "if linebreaks > n or followed by space/tab then display two linebreaks, otherwise none", although I'm sure you've got a better feel for how to implement this.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    This was the 1st app I downloaded, and still one of my favorites. Thank you.
    Looking into the Evo. Apparently there is no reader app like pReader. Amazon says that thy are preparing a Kindle reader app for android phones, but not available yet. Fictionwise apparently supports the droid, but limited and costly books. So I guess pReader is keeping me at the Pre rather than the Evo. (I would like to be corrected on any error in this post.)
    Laissez Faire
    We WISH for smooth scrolling...... please....
  13.    #933  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Cool, thanks for your detailed reply. It's fun to get a little glimpse into the possible future of pReader.
    Would it be possible to parse the file in a way that left the double linebreaks intact but stripped the single ones? This way it would maintain the clean breaks between paragraphs instead of running them together in the case where you're starting with hard-wrapped paragraphs. Something like "if linebreaks > n or followed by space/tab then display two linebreaks, otherwise none", although I'm sure you've got a better feel for how to implement this.
    Sure, things like this can be implemented. Quite easily even. The problem is not the implementation, but the GUI associated with it. The question is how to add those features in a way that as many people as possible can use it without having to read pages of explanation. And on a device like the Pre/Pixi, you additionally have to confront the issue that the screen's so damn small. So everything, even the explanations, have to fit that screen.

Anyway, I just amended my internal ToDo list with your proposal.
  14.    #934  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    We WISH for smooth scrolling...... please....
    That's one of the features that wasn't on my above list, because it's part of the Javascript->Native code translation. But as I outlined in an earlier post, this only applies to a manual smooth scrolling (as known from the browser). An automatic smooth scrolling is much harder to do with WebOS, though.

And with that, I log off for the next 3 1/2 weeks. But as I said, if you have any questions or ideas for new features, don't hesitate to ask them anyway.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm confused, I want to buy a book but the only format I can find it in is ePub. Mobipocket had it on there web site but it's not there when I did my last search for it for some reason. Will pReader display ePub format or not, I've read what I can find and am completely confused, I have to pay for the book at ereader.com I think, so it's probably DRM'ed. I've got Calibre so I could convert it I guess, I haven't used Calibre yet so I would have to figure it out. I have a lot of ebooks in .lit that I would like to convert to read on pReader anyway.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I would like to add a small suggestion. As you can see i don't post here, but read a lot, but This is my most used and favorite app on the Pre, by far. Great job and thanks for providing this to all of us.

One think i would love is a low profile progess meter, either percent or page number, but something smaller that the belt bar. Something that doesn't take up more than one line of text down at the bottom.

all the other suggestions sound great.

I love this app.
    While you're adding things to the metadata anyway, I wouldn't mind a url field for purchased from. It doesn't have to fire up a web-browser to the site (although it would nice if it did) but for people like me, who take the shop around approach to ebook shopping, it could be quite helpful.
    Tip for newbies (ie. me) - If your formatting is crap, with punctuation marks in the wrong place, turn on the "Left to right" option :-)[/QUOTE]

partial quote above.... this tip was gold and has been driving me crazy for a looong time. I was about to post the question, but I was a good preader ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1561 View Post
    I'm confused, I want to buy a book but the only format I can find it in is ePub. Mobipocket had it on there web site but it's not there when I did my last search for it for some reason. Will pReader display ePub format or not, I've read what I can find and am completely confused, I have to pay for the book at ereader.com I think, so it's probably DRM'ed. I've got Calibre so I could convert it I guess, I haven't used Calibre yet so I would have to figure it out. I have a lot of ebooks in .lit that I would like to convert to read on pReader anyway.
    Currently pReader does not support DRM schemes in ePub files. There are python scripts found on the internet that can remove DRM from your purchased ePub files and some users have reported success in using this technique with pReader.

The DRM for purchased files from Mobipocket.com (prc/mobi files) and eReader.com (pdb files) is fully supported by pReader and many users have successfully purchased and read books from these sites.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by shattuck View Post
    ...This is my most used and favorite app on the Pre, by far.
    thanks -- its my favorite one too!

Quote Originally Posted by shattuck View Post
    One think i would love is a low profile progess meter, either percent or page number, but something smaller that the belt bar. Something that doesn't take up more than one line of text down at the bottom.
    I want this feature too, and being a co-developer I will try to get this added at some point. Basically a very minimal belt bar with no buttons. I'm thinking quite small font size too.