Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #901  
    Quote Originally Posted by sfabius View Post
    Seems like we have a pattern (same as my post, just above). I'm using ebooks.com. BTW, I just decided to use the mobidedrm scripts to get around it (see here; the second post gives good instructions). But it would be nice if it worked like it is supposed to.
    Mhhhm, if the MobiPocket De-DRM script can process it, but the pReader fails to process it, that indeed points at a deeper issue in the pReader.

Can you send me a file that fails to work, along with the Device ID you used to decrypt it. With that, I can debug the decryption routine of the pReader and maybe find and correct any bug that prevents a successful import.

Thanks!
    I am a newbie and having trouble with the Keyring Manager. I am trying to open my ereader books: The Device ID is set and I put in my Visible Name (exact as is on my Credit Card) an the Password (on ereader is the cc#). Should something happen after I press the add/replace button? Do I need to put the code in each time I try to open a book? I tried several different ways and I can't find any references (on forums) to how others solve the problem.
  3.    #903  
    Quote Originally Posted by grampyone View Post
    I am a newbie and having trouble with the Keyring Manager. I am trying to open my ereader books: The Device ID is set and I put in my Visible Name (exact as is on my Credit Card) an the Password (on ereader is the cc#). Should something happen after I press the add/replace button? Do I need to put the code in each time I try to open a book? I tried several different ways and I can't find any references (on forums) to how others solve the problem.
    There are actually two way how you can enter data into the Keyring.

The first is to simply enter the username/password when the pReader asks you to supply credentials for a given file. As soon as the credentials check out correct (and you haven't already used the Keyring to fill them in), the pReader should ask you whether you wish to add those credentials to the Keyring. If you tell it to, it will automagically add those to your Keyring.

The second way to add credentials is to explicitly open the Keyring manager from the entry in the app menu of the Library window. As soon as it has opened, you simply select the type of the credentials (either username/password or device ID), add a unique name for this entry, insert the credentials (username/password or Device ID) and press "Add/Replace".

As soon as you've done that, it should've added the new entry. But do note that the pReader will not scroll down to show you the new entry, because, well, it's just going to be the unique name you selected earlier.

That's it. The next time you open a book you just select "Add from Keyring", enter your master password (if you haven't already earlier) and select the set of credentials (identified by its unique name) that you wish to use.

I hope that helps.
    Just an update, I can't get the MobiDRM scripts to work against my files. I get an invalid PID checksum. (see error)
    Error: invalid PID checksum

despite using the PID associated with the MobiPocket version on the PC I'm trying to decode on.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    There are actually two way how you can enter data into the Keyring.

The first is to simply enter the username/password when the pReader asks you to supply credentials for a given file. As soon as the credentials check out correct (and you haven't already used the Keyring to fill them in), the pReader should ask you whether you wish to add those credentials to the Keyring. If you tell it to, it will automagically add those to your Keyring.

The second way to add credentials is to explicitly open the Keyring manager from the entry in the app menu of the Library window. As soon as it has opened, you simply select the type of the credentials (either username/password or device ID), add a unique name for this entry, insert the credentials (username/password or Device ID) and press "Add/Replace".

As soon as you've done that, it should've added the new entry. But do note that the pReader will not scroll down to show you the new entry, because, well, it's just going to be the unique name you selected earlier.

That's it. The next time you open a book you just select "Add from Keyring", enter your master password (if you haven't already earlier) and select the set of credentials (identified by its unique name) that you wish to use.

I hope that helps.
    Hi Jappus

In order to save you and others some time, would it be possible, to add some How-To's in a small "Manual" or "Quickstart" or alike, and add a link at your first post. Preferable as a PDF. (Rather than answering the same How-to question over and over.) That'll be cool.
    So people could download and look up the most FAQ themself. And from time to time download an updated version.

Just my 2 cents.
    Another update: I got the MobideDRM scripts to work by changing the file extension from .prc to .mobi, so I was hoping that the same would apply to the undeDRMd file, but it behaves the same way as the .prc version.

The deDRMed one works fine on PReader, though.
    When I get this working, I was thinking of writing up my steps and lessons learned, so I'd be happy to help with any documentation you need.

And another update, my ereader docs seem to work just fine with the keyring passcode.
    Last edited by marci; 05/19/2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more info available
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    When I get this working, I was thinking of writing up my steps and lessons learned, so I'd be happy to help with any documentation you need.
    Me too. Unfortunately, I still haven't got my Palm Pre Plus.

But it will hopefully be available in Switzerland within the very near future (couple of days or weeks).
    The Palm Pixi Plus is available for well a week through a Company, importing it from Germany. They had the regular Palm Pre and hopefully will get the Palm Pre Plus soon. So wish me good luck, that it will be sooner than later.
  8.    #908  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    n order to save you and others some time, would it be possible, to add some How-To's in a small "Manual" or "Quickstart" or alike, and add a link at your first post. Preferable as a PDF. (Rather than answering the same How-to question over and over.) That'll be cool.
    So people could download and look up the most FAQ themself. And from time to time download an updated version.
    Actually, the pReader has a few built-in help pages. While they're not always up to date, they answer many of the common questions. Just open the app menu and select "Help".

But if there's one true statement about UI design, it's this: "If you need to explain it in the documentation, you've done it wrong."

Of course, getting to the point where you don't need doc is really, really hard.
  9.    #909  
    Another update: I got the MobideDRM scripts to work by changing the file extension from .prc to .mobi, so I was hoping that the same would apply to the undeDRMd file, but it behaves the same way as the .prc version.
    That's because the pReader only uses the file endings to select which algorithms it tries (PalmDOC, eReader, Mobipocket, ePub, ...), but the algorithms themselves stay the same.

The deDRMed one works fine on PReader, though.
    Actually, I'm far more interested in the files themselves. The simple reason is that if the De-DRM script can successfully decode the file, that means that the pReader should be able to decode them to, and thus the fact that it can't implies that there's still a bug in the pReader.
    Actually, I'm far more interested in the files themselves. The simple reason is that if the De-DRM script can successfully decode the file, that means that the pReader should be able to decode them to, and thus the fact that it can't implies that there's still a bug in the pReader.
    I did private message you my email, but in case you didn't see it, it's marciATyesowitch.org (with the usual AT replaced note.)
  11.    #911  
    I did private message you my email, but in case you didn't see it, it's marciATyesowitch.org (with the usual AT replaced note.)
    I did see it, and I sent you an E-Mail in response. I also sent an E-Mail to SFabius. Of course, at the moment I have some slight issues with my University's E-Mail server randomly marking my outgoing mails as SPAM. It's really rather annoying.

Anyway, I sent both of you my E-Mail address as a PM now; just to be sure.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Actually, the pReader has a few built-in help pages. While they're not always up to date, they answer many of the common questions. Just open the app menu and select "Help".

But if there's one true statement about UI design, it's this: "If you need to explain it in the documentation, you've done it wrong."
    Hi Jappus

I am just preparing for a great start, but still do not have my Pre (Plus).
    So just following pReader in the virtual world and trying to help as much as I can from the 'outside'.

So, sorry - I didn't (couldn't) know about the on-app-help.
    But now I do know and will check it out as soon as getting my Palm Pre Plus and installing pReader.

Keep the good work up.
    And having a great e-Reader available on the Pre is very helpful for me. Thanks.
    Last edited by rgloor; 05/21/2010 at 12:56 AM.
    pReader just keeps getting better and better, which is even more important, now that it appears the Pre will be around a while longer than some of us feared. If I could add to the wish list:
    1. I’ll add my voice to those who’ve asked for a table of contents function. I note that bookmarks sometimes work in that way, but a dedicated function would be nice, as would the ability to hop to specific chapters at will.
    2. I use pReader quite a bit for research purposes, including journal articles and a number of reference works, including my own papers in eReader format. Hopping around like that, I often forget which document I’m in when I go away and return to it. It would be nice to have a way of being able to remind myself which work is up at present—either at the top of the screen, or perhaps as an “Info” function on the app menu.
    3. I really, really wish there was someone to make and review notes as well as bookmarks—something similar to eReader’s note function which also has the capability to export the notes as a text file.
    4. Similarly, the ability to highlight desired passages would also be nice

I see that we’re getting closer and closer to the fabled native version 9, and I imagine some of these enhancements will appear in that. I’m really looking forward to what you do next!
    Well, this is embarrassing. My bookseller allows three registered PIDs. They have an automated process for adding them and a manual process for removing them. I sent them the PID of an old device to remove and the new PID to add. They removed the old one, but did not add the new one. I've just added it myself through their automated process and wonder of wonders, suddenly things work!

So thank you for your patience and I'm sorry for all the confusion.
  15.    #915  
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    1. I’ll add my voice to those who’ve asked for a table of contents function. I note that bookmarks sometimes work in that way, but a dedicated function would be nice, as would the ability to hop to specific chapters at will.
    The main problem here is that not all formats support special marks that give us cues as to where the chapters are; and even if the format supports it, not all books use it.

I already thought a bit about that feature, and all I could come up with is the same approach that Calibre's using. It consists of scanning the text of the book with a list of regular expressions (like "\n[ \t]*Chapter[ :digit:IVXLC]*"). After extracting those special phrases, Calibre automatically inserts bookmarks into the text at those positions.

Of course, given that we need several keywords for each language, and should at least support the most common Latin based languages (support for non-Latin languages is harder, because we need to know the encoding beforehand), this adds up to a lot of repeated scanning.

Since that was far too much work for Javascript (while it has RegExps built in, and is comparably fast, it's still not built for repeatedly scanning megabytes of text), I decided to delay this feature and only put it in once the native version is ready.

2. I use pReader quite a bit for research purposes, including journal articles and a number of reference works, including my own papers in eReader format. Hopping around like that, I often forget which document I’m in when I go away and return to it. It would be nice to have a way of being able to remind myself which work is up at present—either at the top of the screen, or perhaps as an “Info” function on the app menu.
    Mhhm, yeah, such a screen should be easily possible. Afterall, I basically only have to conjure up the Metadata editor scene. Expect that feature in v0.8.10.

3. I really, really wish there was someone to make and review notes as well as bookmarks—something similar to eReader’s note function which also has the capability to export the notes as a text file.
    The Javascript SDK prevents us from writing anything to disk that is not an SQLite database. As such this feature, too, will have to wait until the native version hits the App Catalog/Homebrew Feeds.

4. Similarly, the ability to highlight desired passages would also be nice
    Yes, especially since it would mean that we could get rid of the crude "one-word-only" dictionary function. Unfortunately, I still haven't found out how to convince the browser to allow the user to do that. It works in the Mojo text widget, but doesn't work in Mojo text fields. I probably still have to dig a bit deeper into the SDK Source Code to figure out how the SDK does it.
    Marvelous. Thanks for thoughtful response, for considering my suggestions, and for the forthcoming "info" feature! I'm anxiously awaiting the native version.
    I have some documents (quite a few) that include Left double-quote (0x93) and Right double-quote (0x94), and they are not displayed correctly. Like this -> “quoted text”. I have tried CP-1252 and UTF-8 for encoding. I've tried the default font, plus Verdana. The input is a .mobi file. And it shows up correctly when viewing on the desktop using the mobipocket viewer.

Is there any way to get these quotes to show up correctly in pReader?
  18.    #918  
    Quote Originally Posted by punter59 View Post
    I have some documents (quite a few) that include Left double-quote (0x93) and Right double-quote (0x94), and they are not displayed correctly. Like this -> “quoted text”. I have tried CP-1252 and UTF-8 for encoding. I've tried the default font, plus Verdana. The input is a .mobi file. And it shows up correctly when viewing on the desktop using the mobipocket viewer.

Is there any way to get these quotes to show up correctly in pReader?
    If you can send me one of the affected files, I'll take a look at it. I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM.

Thanks,
    Martin.
    I'm posting your reply to me to help others.

I have some documents (quite a few) that include Left double-quote (0x93) and Right double-quote (0x94), and they are not displayed correctly. Like this -> “quoted text”.
    And you said

Please do note that there are two different encoding options. The one in the Preferences menu select the *default* decoding that is used for *newly* added books.
    But each book itself has an encoding setting on its own, which can be reached by opening the book, opening the App Menu (top left) and selecting "Change Encoding".

In the latter case, a popup dialogue will appear, in which you can change the encoding for the current book (and all without having to re-import it!).
    UTF-8 worked when I used this solution. Thanks
    Last edited by punter59; 05/25/2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: missing quotes
  20.    #920  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.8.10 to the AppCatalog. There are numerous small changes, feature additions and bugfixes. Hopefully, this will really be the last Javascript-only version.

Here's the changelog:
    • The last used dictionary is now saved and automatically preselected when you open the dictionary dialogue. Simply tap the green "Okay" button to use it.
    • Fixed the issue with the end of sentences sometimes being moved to the next page, leading to an ugly "dangling" formatting. The page layout should now be much nicer to look at.
    • Added Czech and French translation. Many thanks to Jiri Svoboda and Yannick LE NY respectively.
    • Fixed issue with the metadata editor's layout being corrupted when it was initialized with very long strings for the author, title, etc. fields.
    • Fixed an issue that caused links in some Mobipocket files to fail to work. This mainly affected files converted by Calibre. Do note that there's still a small bug that causes the links to become more and more inaccurate the longer the book is. This will be fixed during the transition to native code, since it necessitates a complete re-write anyway.
    • Added an option to edit/view the metadata of a book from the Reader scene. You don't need to go back to the library to do that anymore and can now always easily check what book you're currently in.

I really, really hope that this release will be stable and won't blow up in my face, for the simple reason that I will be out of country for the next 3 1/2 weeks (starting next monday). I was finally able to squeeze in a much needed vacation into my tight diploma thesis schedule. After I'm back, I will hopefully only need another two months to finish my thesis.

Of course, if you find any bugs or have other issues with the app, still feel free to post them here. Retrobits or one of the users here might be able to help you. And if not, I'll make sure to read the backlog of this thread as soon as I'm back.

Happy Reading!