Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #881  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Any way you can add a brightness control within the app? I usually keep my brightness up, but when I read, I drop it down to 1-5% because it's easier on my eyes. Thanks!
    No, for the simple reason that the openly published SDK has no interface for changing the brightness. Only the undocumented parts of the SDK provide access to the brightness control (which is used by Palm's own brightness property screen). Unfortunately, Palm only allows apps into the App Catalog that don't access the undocumented parts of the SDK.

Of course, thanks to WebOS allowing easy multitasking, you can invoke the brightness screen at any time. And that's also all I could code into the pReader: I could add a button or menu entry that launches the brightness selector, since it's really just another app.

Of course, given that it's usually only two or three swipes/taps away anyway, the question remains whether such a button would be an actually useful additional feature, or just lead to more cluttering in the pReader's UI.

If I were allowed to, I would of course offer an option to set the screen's brightness to a certain level whenever the pReader is active, but Palm is very, very restrictive as far as their SDKs go. It even looks like Palm will even put all PDK apps into a software jail and refuse access to most "sensitive" (read: almost all) parts of the OS.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Any way you can add a brightness control within the app? I usually keep my brightness up, but when I read, I drop it down to 1-5% because it's easier on my eyes. Thanks!

You can install one of the menu patches which adds "brightness" control to the main drop down menu which appears when you swipe down at the top right corner of the phone. That is what I use to change the setting from time to time, mostly at night when my wife is falling asleep and I want to continue reading.
    You can also use mode switcher. I have a setting "read" which opens the preader and also lowers brightness.
    Laissez Faire
    Also, reverse your screen. Make the background black and the text light or a parchment color. Reading ebooks this way is SO much more pleasant on a back lit screen. Especially at night.
    Jappus:

Is there any way to make auto scroller smooth, instead of the choppy style. In other words, the scrolling would be be one fluid motion at one speed. I miss this from the old treo ereader app. Thanks!
    Is it possible to hold the page and scroll slowly line by line with finger on the page?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Mhhhm, have you checked that the character encoding is right? Some files might need UTF-8, while others need CP-1252. If the WebOS doctor has erased the pReader's properties store, that might explain why the files now look wrong. If you had selected UTF-8 as the default encoding and the WebOS doctor has reset that to the factory-default of CP-1252, all non-ASCII characters (like quotation marks other than the simple ' and ") will be dropped or rendered wrong.

Please do note that you can change the encoding of each book without re-importing it. Simply open the affected file, enter the app menu on the top left corner and select "Change encoding".

If the above doesn't help, could you send me one or two of the affected files, so that I can check if it isn't something strange going on within the pReader?

Thanks!
    Duuuuuuuuude!! You are amazing! I feel so stupid..but I'm glad I checked in with you. It WAS encoding, of course! I didn't notice that it had changed....should have paid closer attention. Thanks again!!
  8.    #888  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Is it possible to hold the page and scroll slowly line by line with finger on the page?
    Do you mean the smooth scrolling that you can use in the Web Browser, for example; or do you mean an automatic scrolling, where the page is slowly scrolled for you?

The latter feature is already present. Simply click on the circling arrows (the classic refresh icon) and the page will be automatically scrolled.

If you mean the former, then I'm afraid that the pReader doesn't support it at the moment. Of course, due to the repeated requests for this feature, I plan to add it during the transition from Javascript to native code, because we'll have to rewrite large areas of the pReader during that transition anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    Is there any way to make auto scroller smooth, instead of the choppy style. In other words, the scrolling would be be one fluid motion at one speed. I miss this from the old treo ereader app. Thanks!
    While it seems quite similar to the feature above, this feature is actually much, much harder to do right on WebOS.

To understand why, you have to know that the entire UI of the pReader (and at the moment also everything else) is written in pure Javascript. That means that there are several layers of code abstraction between us (the pReader) and the device's screen. Basically, we merely prepare an HTML page and send it to the rendering engine of WebOS (which is just a Safari-based web browser). Everything else is pretty much out of our control.

That only leaves us two methods for scrolling:

The first is to create the HTML page in a way that causes elements of the page to be put where we want them, even over each other, if need be. That's how we do the default overlapping "in-place" autoscroll.

The second approach is to fetch a special widget called a "Scroller" from WebOS. This widget is added by WebOS to every page and allows us to determine the position of the screen in the HTML page. That way, we can simply layout the HTML page and then tell WebOS to, say, scroll to the page element "foo" or scroll to a given position (in pixels). We can also tell it whether the move should be animated (smooth scroll), or not (it jumps).
    But that's all we can do. We can't influence how fast this scrolling should be, or how long it should take to move from here to there.

You can imagine that both methods don't allow a real linear, smooth scrolling. In both cases we'd have to do it all by ourselves; and all in Javascript. We'd have to manually move either the whole HTML page, or the scroller by one pixel at a time. And since Javascript is really, really slow, that'd eat CPU time without end.

At the moment, the default is to scroll 30 lines / minute (which is a bit more than one page at default text sizes). That means that we execute one Javascript call every two seconds. But if we scrolled pixel-by-pixel, we'd have to scroll at a speed of, say, 10px/s to move by one page every ~45 seconds. That means at least 10 Javascript calls per second, instead of 0.5 calls per second. That's a difference of one order of magnitude.

You can imagine the difference in battery time caused by one order of magnitude less or more CPU time. Only if you don't need much CPU time to begin with (because you use native code, or even GPU acceleration), the results will be acceptable. But in an interpreted language like JSJSJS...

Unfortunately, even the transition to native code doesn't help here at all, because while it would yield us a directer access to the screen, it also means abandoning everything else. We'd have to abandon all those nifty predefined things like menus, lists, buttons, text, font styles and more; and implement them all on our own. That's what you'd call a Pyrrhic solution; it solves something at the cost of causing exponentially more work.

And all that just because the API doesn't allow me to tell the OS to scroll from X to Y at a constant speed of Z px/s. It's always the trivial omissions that bite you in the rear the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Just had a long talk with Barnes and Noble (NOT the eReader site, the B&N major site.) They no longer make books available in pdb format, only in epub. I have not been able to read epub books on the pReader, so I guess B&N is out as a source for Pre users.
    Okay, I have a few statements that are coming from left field, but bear with me.

I have the B&N reader on my desktop and it still downloads books in mobi. Over the weekend I was visiting my kids in SF and downloaded a new B&N reader to my laptop and it automatically downloaded books in epub.

When I got home, I tried looking up how to convert epub books so that I could read my new B&N books. I ran across Quintus; Kindle convert information and figured out how to convert a Kindle book.

Here's the thing, if you don't update the B&N reader, you still get to download mobi format. Everytime you open the software, it asks if you want to update, but you don't have to. So for now uninstall your updated version and re-install the old B&N reader. You'll be fine with your B&N books.

As for Kindle books, the method that Quintus leads you to has you use an old version of the Kindle reader. As long as you use the older version, you can convert your books to mobi and read them using your pReader and your Pre.

The good news is that I can now chose books from both sites. The bad news is that I had to learn how to convert the Kindle books. Actually, there is no bad news. I've got a whole new world of reading possibilities open to me and I can look for the best price.

BTW, e-reader is having a 40% anniversary special. Now might be a time that you can beat the price of Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

I'd like to give a big shout-out to Quintus and Jappus for making my Pre reading life possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Do you mean the smooth scrolling that you can use in the Web Browser, for example; or do you mean an automatic scrolling, where the page is slowly scrolled for you?

The latter feature is already present. Simply click on the circling arrows (the classic refresh icon) and the page will be automatically scrolled.

If you mean the former, then I'm afraid that the pReader doesn't support it at the moment. Of course, due to the repeated requests for this feature, I plan to add it during the transition from Javascript to native code, because we'll have to rewrite large areas of the pReader during that transition anyway.

While it seems quite similar to the feature above, this feature is actually much, much harder to do right on WebOS.

To understand why, you have to know that the entire UI of the pReader (and at the moment also everything else) is written in pure Javascript. That means that there are several layers of code abstraction between us (the pReader) and the device's screen. Basically, we merely prepare an HTML page and send it to the rendering engine of WebOS (which is just a Safari-based web browser). Everything else is pretty much out of our control.

That only leaves us two methods for scrolling:

The first is to create the HTML page in a way that causes elements of the page to be put where we want them, even over each other, if need be. That's how we do the default overlapping "in-place" autoscroll.

The second approach is to fetch a special widget called a "Scroller" from WebOS. This widget is added by WebOS to every page and allows us to determine the position of the screen in the HTML page. That way, we can simply layout the HTML page and then tell WebOS to, say, scroll to the page element "foo" or scroll to a given position (in pixels). We can also tell it whether the move should be animated (smooth scroll), or not (it jumps).
    But that's all we can do. We can't influence how fast this scrolling should be, or how long it should take to move from here to there.

You can imagine that both methods don't allow a real linear, smooth scrolling. In both cases we'd have to do it all by ourselves; and all in Javascript. We'd have to manually move either the whole HTML page, or the scroller by one pixel at a time. And since Javascript is really, really slow, that'd eat CPU time without end.

At the moment, the default is to scroll 30 lines / minute (which is a bit more than one page at default text sizes). That means that we execute one Javascript call every two seconds. But if we scrolled pixel-by-pixel, we'd have to scroll at a speed of, say, 10px/s to move by one page every ~45 seconds. That means at least 10 Javascript calls per second, instead of 0.5 calls per second. That's a difference of one order of magnitude.

You can imagine the difference in battery time caused by one order of magnitude less or more CPU time. Only if you don't need much CPU time to begin with (because you use native code, or even GPU acceleration), the results will be acceptable. But in an interpreted language like JSJSJS...

Unfortunately, even the transition to native code doesn't help here at all, because while it would yield us a directer access to the screen, it also means abandoning everything else. We'd have to abandon all those nifty predefined things like menus, lists, buttons, text, font styles and more; and implement them all on our own. That's what you'd call a Pyrrhic solution; it solves something at the cost of causing exponentially more work.

And all that just because the API doesn't allow me to tell the OS to scroll from X to Y at a constant speed of Z px/s. It's always the trivial omissions that bite you in the rear the most.

Thanks for answering, I do mean the smooth scrolling that you can use in the Web Browser, and NOT the automatic scrolling, where the page is slowly scrolled for you. It would be great if you could add that functionality.
    One more thing, is it possible for preader to come loaded with some free public domain books? or better an ability to click a check box and be able to download few books?
    [QUOTE=bdhu2001;2461004]Okay, I have a few statements that are coming from left field, but bear with me.

I have the B&N reader on my desktop and it still downloads books in mobi. Over the weekend I was visiting my kids in SF and downloaded a new B&N reader to my laptop and it automatically downloaded books in epub.

When I got home, I tried looking up how to convert epub books so that I could read my new B&N books. I ran across Quintus; Kindle convert information and figured out how to convert a Kindle book.

Here's the thing, if you don't update the B&N reader, you still get to download mobi format. Everytime you open the software, it asks if you want to update, but you don't have to. So for now uninstall your updated version and re-install the old B&N reader. You'll be fine with your B&N books.

Do you have a way to get the old reader?
    Laissez Faire
    [QUOTE=prubin;2461092]
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, I have a few statements that are coming from left field, but bear with me.

Do you have a way to get the old reader?
    I have the old file saved to my desktop. If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll try to send it; I just tried to send it from my yahoo to my gmail and it shows sent from yahoo, but it hasn't shown up in my gmail account.
  14.    #894  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    One more thing, is it possible for preader to come loaded with some free public domain books? or better an ability to click a check box and be able to download few books?
    Well, we could add a link to the Gutenberg Project website, which allows you to download a number of book in formats that are non-DRMed and wholly compatible with the pReader. Of course, there are also a number of other free eBook websites out there, so we can't possibly add them all, but we can probably link to a select few of them.

As for automatic downloading, it is possible with the SDK. Thus, it's possible to to go the route taken by PreWare, PreLoad and all the others and offer an XML feed of free books. But given that I barely find time to work on the native pReader, this feature is only going to be present if somebody else volunteers to add it.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    As for Kindle books, the method that Quintus leads you to has you use an old version of the Kindle reader. As long as you use the older version, you can convert your books to mobi and read them using your pReader and your Pre.
    Don't forget to then convert the mobi book into pReader format using Calibre as it fully resolves some of the formatting problems inherent in the mobi version of the un-DRM'd Kindle book. The mobi version is fully readable, only the formatting is not as polished. I love Calibre and its FREE!!!!

calibre - E-book management

I'd like to give a big shout-out to Quintus and Jappus for making my Pre reading life possible.
    Thanks! Really, though, all the credit, and I mean all the credit, belongs to Jappus. If pReader had not come along, I would still be stuck using eReader in Classic and that was not the best experience. Worked, but not nearly as good as pReader. Now, the options are nearly endless as pReader is a completely universal ereader app. I simply can't thank Jappus enough!!!!
    Thanks to bdhu2001's great help, I have again been able to download and read B&N books on preader.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by quickrahn View Post
    okay, I've been trying to figure this out on my own but apparently i'm too new at this. i'm not a techie but I love to read. i've had this app for a while but last week i purchased a couple books thru ebook but can't get them to show up after attemping to add to library. my phone keeps telling me the device id doesn't match the one required to open the book, that i should add my device id to the publishers website then download the book again. I'm using mobipocket, that pid is registered to my ebook account as is the device id from my pre. i copy/pasted those pid's in ebook as requested as not to make any typing errors and besides i've double and triple checked to make they are correct, and they are. on top of eveything else, once i've cycled thru everything and i tap cancel, the app tells me i'm using an unsupported file format. i thought preader supported mobipocket files, or am just a dimwit? the 3 letters at the end of the file are .prc. not supported? what i am i missing.
    Quickrahn I'm having the same problem (post #791). Did you figure out a solution?
    I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered. I did try searching through the thread, but I didn't see my problem. I'm a new Pre user (AT&T), so please be gentle.

I downloaded PReader and I registered the DeviceID it showed as my PID with my ebook dealer. I have redownloaded the books, but they still don't open. I get a "Add from Keyring" button, which I don't understand. Do I need another program? I did download the Keyring program, and set it up with a password, but I don't know what data to add to it to make PReader work.

Of course after I posted it, I saw what you said in post 793, but none of that seems true for me. It's definitely a MobiPocket book format. It's definitely been reencoded. I got a confirmation from my ebook dealer and its definitely not opening. I will try to remove the DRM and see if opens then.
    Last edited by marci; 05/19/2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Discovered previous posters asking the question.
    Seems like we have a pattern (same as my post, just above). I'm using ebooks.com. BTW, I just decided to use the mobidedrm scripts to get around it (see here; the second post gives good instructions). But it would be nice if it worked like it is supposed to.
  20.    #900  
    Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    I downloaded PReader and I registered the DeviceID it showed as my PID with my ebook dealer. I have redownloaded the books, but they still don't open. I get a "Add from Keyring" button, which I don't understand. Do I need another program? I did download the Keyring program, and set it up with a password, but I don't know what data to add to it to make PReader work.
    You don't need the external app to use the internal "Keyring" manager of the pReader. They share a name not because they are based or depend on each other, but rather because, well, it's a name that describes exactly what it's doing: Keeping your keys in a central storage. But the Keyring of the pReader has nothing whatsoever to do with the external Keyring app (which is really quite good, by the way.</not-so-subtle product placement> )

Anyway, its intent is to allow you quick access to the various keys you might use for your eBooks. For Mobipocket books this is usually a moot point, since most people will have registered their ID and thus will never have to enter any credentials, but it's very useful for users who have books in the "eReader" format.

Of course after I posted it, I saw what you said in post 793, but none of that seems true for me. It's definitely a MobiPocket book format. It's definitely been reencoded. I got a confirmation from my ebook dealer and its definitely not opening. I will try to remove the DRM and see if opens then.
    If that doesn't help, can you send me one such file along with the used DeviceID, so that I can see whether there's not maybe a deeper issue in the pReader code? Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-mail address.

Thanks!