Page 44 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #861  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Been a while since I made a suggestion but here it goes. Can you allow the user to set a dictionary by default so that the user does not need to choose the dictionary each time? This would save on the number of taps required to find a definition. Thanks.
    Sure, it's possible and would be an easy fix. But I think a slightly different feature would actually be even more useful: How about if the pReader automatically selects the last dictionary you used? That way, you don't have to enter a default and your most often used dictionary always gets preference. This would be especially useful if you use different dictionaries for different files. That way, you only have to select one once and on every subsequent query it will already be preselected.

For example, if you read an English book, you'll probably use a different dictionary than if you read a German, or French, or whatever book.

Of course, while adding that feature is trivial, I don't want to release yet another version of the pReader just because of it; especially because I want to concentrate my spare time on developing the native version. I'll probably keep it in the SVN till either enough other patches have been applied, or enough time has passed.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Yes, I have Kindle and a book. At first, I could read the book going through unswindle but now it does not work. Kindle itself does work.
    I suspect that you allowed the Kindle for PC app to update from the beta version. Uninstall and reinstall the Kindle for PC Beta version. Then in the settings option, turn off auto-update.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I suspect that you allowed the Kindle for PC app to update from the beta version. Uninstall and reinstall the Kindle for PC Beta version. Then in the settings option, turn off auto-update.
    This is actually generally good advice when it comes to tools to de-DRM.

On more than one occasion, I've upgraded something and found that I was no longer able to de-DRM. I was then forced to drop back to some prior version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Can you send me such a file, or provide a link to one? That would really help me to debug the issue.

Apart from that, have you tried changing the character encoding to UTF-8, or CP-1252? Because MobiPocket books can be stored in either encoding. That would neatly explain why only some of your files exhibit that problem.
    I have been trying to figure out how to send you a file. but I think I know why some prc files and not others are acting funny.

I originaly purchaced the books in Abobi (pdf) form, then converted to Mobipocket (prc). it is what is acting funny.
  5.    #865  
    Quote Originally Posted by hooliganhjp View Post
    I have been trying to figure out how to send you a file. but I think I know why some prc files and not others are acting funny.

I originaly purchaced the books in Abobi (pdf) form, then converted to Mobipocket (prc). it is what is acting funny.
    I've sent you my E-Mail address via PM. If the files aren't too large, that should allow you to send me the files.
    I originally purchased the books in Abobi (pdf) form, then converted to Mobipocket (prc). it is what is acting funny.

How do you convert from pdf to mobipocket.
    Laissez Faire
  7.    #867  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    How do you convert from pdf to mobipocket.
    Calibre can convert PDFs to Mobipocket (among a load of other formats). Of course, the quality of the different converters varies massively. But well, the same could be said about the pReader.

Here's the URL:
    calibre - E-book management
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Calibre can convert PDFs to Mobipocket (among a load of other formats). Of course, the quality of the different converters varies massively. But well, the same could be said about the pReader.

Here's the URL:
    For what it's worth, I found that converting to the eReader format works very well. I even convert my Mobipocket books to eReader format as I prefer it on the pReader. Could just be me though.

BTW, don't forget to donate to Calibre. That is an awesome program!

Here's the URL:
    I find that downloading MobiCreator...the other software offered at MobiPocket.com will convert your PDF into a PRC file just fine...AND will also turn it into an HTML file before conversion. So you can have an HTML file to use if, for some reason, you're having issues with PRC files..or any others..

WHICH..brings me to my question...
    I don't know what I'm doing...but ever since I did a WebOS Doctor fix..and had to reload my pReader and upload books...I've been getting weird results..

ALL the books I made BEFORE the Doctor (using Calibre or MobiCreator) are working fine. All the ones I made AFTER using the Doctor (or really, reloading pReader and files) load just fine...but there are no apostrophes anywhere...including the most important...quotation marks so you know when the characters are talking or thinking to themselves..
    Normally, I get a couple of ebooks that were printed that way...so there's really nothing to be done... And once in awhile, I used to get some files that just would NOT keep quotation marks no matter what format....except if I used TXT format or, better yet, used the TXT format to create a PRC file. THOSE always worked the best! They just all fit perfectly! All the spacing is awesome...so, sometimes, I just make a TXT file instead of using the source HTML file to make a PRC file. (I use PRC files almost exclusively on pReader because, it's been my experience, using it every day, that PRC files load better and work better in the pReader. Maybe it's just me being crazy...don't know)

Anyway...has ANYONE experienced a loss of quotation marks consistently? And, if so, is there anything to be done? I mean...this has NEVER happened to me... Not EVERY format like this. It's very odd...so that's why I'm wondering what I am doing wrong...because it's just too weird that things worked fine BEFORE...and then they all suck AFTER I erased everything? Maybe I erased something vital?? Nah...then NOTHING would work if something vital was missing, right?
    Well...I have PLENTY of books that are working fine...but I've bought some new books recently and THOSE are the ones that are giving me problems. Oh well...somehow I have a feeling it's just my durned luck to always screw up a perfectly good thing!! Heh heh...

Thanks for any help!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Congratulations on being in the top 10 of most downloaded homebrew apps!!!!

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2455329

Don't forget to PM rwhitby to claim your prize!!!!!
    I cannot strip DRM from books. For a while Barnes and Noble books came in a pdb format that I could use on preader, but no longer. Fictionwise ereader books work, but that site is expensive and has only a limited number of books. Is there any site that has books that can be directly read on the preader without stripping DRM? What is the best source of easily readable books?
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    prubin,

If you do not want to strip the drm, why not use the ereader.com site? It is expensive for Canadians but I suspect US has better pricing. This is what I used to use 100% of the time and it worked great until I decided to switch to Kindle.
    prubin,

If you do not want to strip the drm, why not use the ereader.com site? It is expensive for Canadians but I suspect US has better pricing. This is what I used to use 100% of the time and it worked great until I decided to switch to Kindle.
    I want to strip DRM, but find that I cannot in spite of your help (Thanks.) I have also used ereader, but it is expensive for US too and has a limited selection. I have also tried Kobo but it does not seem to work well -- certainly not as well as preader.
    Laissez Faire
    If you like science fiction & fantasy, the best source for non drmed books by big name authors is Baen. At baenfreelibrary.com, they have a couple hundred books absolutely free. At wescription.net, are several hundred more for purchase (you can get the free ones here also) from Baen & a few other publishers. There is no membership fee, you just pay for the books.

They also have something they call webscriptions. You purchase a block of books (usually around 6+ from the same publication year or the same author). They initially release the books in serial form (like the magazines of old) - usually 4 parts, once a month then after serialization, they release the whole book. You get both the serialization & whole book. They cost $10 - $15 for 6 - 10 books.

You can also get Advanced Reader Copies. These are unproofed books straight from the author's word processor. You get to read a book before it ever leaves editing, never mind general release.

Baen's books are complete books, not teasers, with inline images and links (depending on format). You can download books in many formats: eBookwise, Rocket Reader, mobipocket, Kindle, EPUB, Microsoft reader (lit), Sony reader, RTF, HTML, and for the iPhone / iTouch using Stanza or bookshelf (to purchase & download books) once purchased you can download repeatedly in multiple formats.

If you are disabled (blind, paralyzed, dyslexic, or an amputee), you can hit the link on the homepage and apply for VIP membership. This gives you access to all their books for free. A wonderful give back from Baen. This should be a resource that will keep you busy for a while.
    Jappus,

I'm having a problem opening a couple books. I PMed you with the symptoms. Please let me know how to send the files to you.

Thanks
    I just downloaded the app and it seems ok, except where am I supposed to save my ebooks so the app can locate them
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SamerElmir View Post
    I just downloaded the app and it seems ok, except where am I supposed to save my ebooks so the app can locate them
    @SamerElmir:

You find the answer several times in this forum thread. The last time in squeff's post #858.

Enjoy the pReader.
    The short answer is anywhere on the phone's memory. The file picker doesn't have you running through directories like you're probably used to. The picker finds files anywhere in storage and just presents you with a list to choose from.

If you download books on the phone and want to make a copy somewhere, you will probably find them in /media/internal/downloads.

The phone doesn't care where the files are, but for oganization and ease of finding, many lf us make a folder to just hold books & when we hook it to the computer with USB, just drag the book files to that folder on the phone.

Hope this helps,
    Panagiotis
  19.    #879  
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    WHICH..brings me to my question...
    I don't know what I'm doing...but ever since I did a WebOS Doctor fix..and had to reload my pReader and upload books...I've been getting weird results..

ALL the books I made BEFORE the Doctor (using Calibre or MobiCreator) are working fine. All the ones I made AFTER using the Doctor (or really, reloading pReader and files) load just fine...but there are no apostrophes anywhere...including the most important...quotation marks so you know when the characters are talking or thinking to themselves.
    Mhhhm, have you checked that the character encoding is right? Some files might need UTF-8, while others need CP-1252. If the WebOS doctor has erased the pReader's properties store, that might explain why the files now look wrong. If you had selected UTF-8 as the default encoding and the WebOS doctor has reset that to the factory-default of CP-1252, all non-ASCII characters (like quotation marks other than the simple ' and ") will be dropped or rendered wrong.

Please do note that you can change the encoding of each book without re-importing it. Simply open the affected file, enter the app menu on the top left corner and select "Change encoding".

Well...I have PLENTY of books that are working fine...but I've bought some new books recently and THOSE are the ones that are giving me problems. Oh well...somehow I have a feeling it's just my durned luck to always screw up a perfectly good thing!! Heh heh...
    If the above doesn't help, could you send me one or two of the affected files, so that I can check if it isn't something strange going on within the pReader?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Any way you can add a brightness control within the app? I usually keep my brightness up, but when I read, I drop it down to 1-5% because it's easier on my eyes. Thanks!