Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    preader isn't an "official" ereader app is my guess at the answer to that question.
    my question is: does anyone know if I can read lent books from the barnes and noble nook on preader?
    it would be nice if it can use "copy" from opend TxT.
    i'm in asia and says it isn't available in my country, what should i do?
    The easiest thing would be to download the ipk file (com.mhwsoft.preader_0.8.8_all.zip) from the first post in this thread.
    Then just simply install it via webOS quick install.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    It is Sunday at about 5:30 EDT and when I go to the site I see only iPhone, PC, Mac and Blackberry readers supported. Am I missing something?
    PalmOS is still there as a supported platform. Not sure what you are seeing. Here's the link to the software download page which displays nearly twelve supported platforms, including Palm OS!

https://secure.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    PalmOS is still there as a supported platform. Not sure what you are seeing. Here's the link to the software download page which displays nearly twelve supported platforms, including Palm OS!

https://secure.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm
    That is the ereader site. Here is the Barnes and Noble site:

Download free eReader - Barnes & Noble

It does not show palm and when I download a book it comes in epub format, not pdb format. Until yesterday I could download books in pdb and read them with preader.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Prubin,

That is nasty!!!! I suggest that you dump B&N and switch over to Amazon Kindle Books. I have a thread which provides you with step by step instructions on how to do this. Sounds complicated at first, but once you have all the components set up, it is pretty painless to purchase a Kindle book, unlock it and then convert it to eReader format for reading with pReader.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I love the reader.

Two suggestions:
    - Add functionality for taking notes and then exporting them
    - Add support for going to chapters in the book.

Thanks again. It rocks!!
  9.    #849  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    preader isn't an "official" ereader app is my guess at the answer to that question.
    my question is: does anyone know if I can read lent books from the barnes and noble nook on preader?
    That depends on the DRM method used by B&N. Basically, they have 4 methods:
    1. eReader PDB with Barnes & Noble's eReader DRM, sometimes called Secure eReader format;
    2. EPUB with Barnes & Noble's eReader DRM, used for ebooks downloaded wirelessly to the nook;
    3. EPUB with Adobe ADEPT DRM, sometimes called Adobe EPUB or Adobe Digital Editions format; and
    4. PDF with Adobe ADEPT DRM.

The first one should be fully supported. The only hiccough may be that lent books may have an expiry date set. While we support expiry dates for MobiPocket books, we don't support them for eReader books (because there's no documentation describing such a method) and as such, even if there was an expiry date, the pReader would ignore it.

The second format, ePub with B&N DRM is not documented anywhere, and so probably won't ever be supported. You'd have to De-DRM them (if there exists a De-DRMing tool at all).

The third format, ePub with Adobe's ADEPT DRM might be supported in the future, because the details of the DRM are reasonably well known. It all just depends on whether the user is able to provide credentials (username+password for example). Otherwise, we probably have to get creative, and that always takes time.

As for PDF's, those will probably not be supported anytime soon. The simple reason is that PDF is a complex, layout-preserving, non-reflowable format. That means it's difficult to decode (but at least it's openly documented) and only explicitly describes how each page may look, with all pages and lines predefined around a given paper format (most often DIN-A4, or US-Letter).

Unfortunately, the pReader only really works with reflowable formats that don't specify where a line, page or image should go. Reflowable formats only specify order, not placement. Basically, to support PDF we'd have to extract the text and images and then figure out which order everything belongs in.

And that's already ignoring such PDF niceties like specifying complex formulas, embedding fonts, vector images and arbitrary rotation and expansion/contraction of elements.

Of course, most eBook PDFs support the new "Reflow" tags introduced with Adobe Digital Editions (the ADE in ADEPT) which allow a non-reflowable PDF to be treated as reflowable. But of course, that adds just another complex layer and only works if those tags are there and reasonably complete (line-only reflow is useless, for example).

If you want to know more, here's the relevant MobilReadWiki article:
    MobileRead Wiki - PDF
    Just had a long talk with Barnes and Noble (NOT the eReader site, the B&N major site.) They no longer make books available in pdb format, only in epub. I have not been able to read epub books on the pReader, so I guess B&N is out as a source for Pre users.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Just had a long talk with Barnes and Noble (NOT the eReader site, the B&N major site.) They no longer make books available in pdb format, only in epub. I have not been able to read epub books on the pReader, so I guess B&N is out as a source for Pre users.
    prubin, were you able to follow my directions to get Kindle books working on pReader? I've had three colleagues now who have switched over to Kindle books instead of eReader books. Better price and greater selection.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbray1 View Post
    I love the reader.

Two suggestions:
    - Add functionality for taking notes and then exporting them
    - Add support for going to chapters in the book.

Thanks again. It rocks!!
    Try looking at your bookmarks. I've found that most of my books have the chapters predefined that way.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Been a while since I made a suggestion but here it goes. Can you allow the user to set a dictionary by default so that the user does not need to choose the dictionary each time? This would save on the number of taps required to find a definition. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    prubin, were you able to follow my directions to get Kindle books working on pReader? I've had three colleagues now who have switched over to Kindle books instead of eReader books. Better price and greater selection.
    No, I could not get it to work. The book file was never available for conversion. Now when I try to open unswindle I get a lot of garbage. I have deleted and redownloaded and still get garbage:

raceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\prubin\Documents\unswindle\unswindle.pyw", line 838, in gui_main
    unswindler = Unswindler()
    File "C:\Users\prubin\Documents\unswindle\unswindle.pyw", line 713, in __init__
    self._hexdigest = self._get_hexdigest()
    File "C:\Users\prubin\Documents\unswindle\unswindle.pyw", line 744, in _get_hexdigest
    with open(path, 'rb') as f:
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\prubin\\AppData\\Local\\Amazon\\Kindle For PC\\application\\KindleForPC.exe'
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    No, I could not get it to work. The book file was never available for conversion. Now when I try to open unswindle I get a lot of garbage. I have deleted and redownloaded and still get garbage:

raceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\prubin\Documents\unswindle\unswindle.pyw", line 838, in gui_main
    unswindler = Unswindler()
    File "C:\Users\prubin\Documents\unswindle\unswindle.pyw", line 713, in __init__
    self._hexdigest = self._get_hexdigest()
    File "C:\Users\prubin\Documents\unswindle\unswindle.pyw", line 744, in _get_hexdigest
    with open(path, 'rb') as f:
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\prubin\\AppData\\Local\\Amazon\\Kindle For PC\\application\\KindleForPC.exe'
    Silly questions, but... Have you downloaded Kindle for PC? Is the book of interest available within that application?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Silly questions, but... Have you downloaded Kindle for PC? Is the book of interest available within that application?
    Yes, I have Kindle and a book. At first, I could read the book going through unswindle but now it does not work. Kindle itself does work.
    Laissez Faire
    i know this is a dumb question, but how do i put the ebooks on the pre?
    i have no idea how to
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evanderlongoria View Post
    i know this is a dumb question, but how do i put the ebooks on the pre?
    i have no idea how to
    Using "USB drive mode" (i.e. hook the Pre to your computer via USB cable), copy the book to the Pre (directory doesn't matter). Then, in pReader, pick "Add Book to Library..."

Some eBook sites can be used to download directly to the Pre from the browser, but I've found it easier to download the book on my computer and then load onto the Pre.

Not a dumb question, although it's asked rather often.
    ok thanks, i appreciate how friendly this community is
  20.    #860  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted v0.8.9 (because Palm wouldn't allow me to re-upload v0.8.8). It fixes the above mentioned, ugly bug that caused some tags to be ignored or dropped. You don't have to re-import your books for the fix to work, since it's just a matter of display, not of storage.

I also made the MobiPocket Parser a bit more resilient against strangely formatted files.

Happy Reading!