Page 41 of 72 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    So, I'm sure that the answer is somewhere in this long thread, but can someone point to instructions on how to open a kindle book? I have downloaded it, pReader reads it but gives me a message that I have to register my Pre's Device ID and then redownload the book. How do I register the Pre's Device ID with Amazon?

Thanks for your help!
    Quintus:

Just look a few postings above: #793

Rolf
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Quintus:

Just look a few postings above: #793

Rolf
    That may work for MobiPocket books but what about Amazon books. How do I register my device id with Amazon to open a kindle book?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    So, I'm sure that the answer is somewhere in this long thread, but can someone point to instructions on how to open a kindle book? I have downloaded it, pReader reads it but gives me a message that I have to register my Pre's Device ID and then redownload the book. How do I register the Pre's Device ID with Amazon?

Thanks for your help!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...bosnation0e-20
    How do I register the Pre's Device ID with Amazon?
    Unfortunately at this time Amazon DRM isn't as open as Mobipocket (even though its essentially the same format). Amazon does not let you register an arbitrary Device ID on amazon.com. Instead you must use their Kindle software, which phones home and registers itself. In fact, no where in the software or on the site can you even see the Device ID of the Kindle software.

I have seen python scripts that harvest the Kindle Device ID from the Windows software, which in theory you could then use to open the book in pReader. Unfortunately this is not practical for most users.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    Unfortunately at this time Amazon DRM isn't as open as Mobipocket (even though its essentially the same format). Amazon does not let you register an arbitrary Device ID on amazon.com. Instead you must use their Kindle software, which phones home and registers itself. In fact, no where in the software or on the site can you even see the Device ID of the Kindle software.

I have seen python scripts that harvest the Kindle Device ID from the Windows software, which in theory you could then use to open the book in pReader. Unfortunately this is not practical for most users.
    So are we saying that this is not possible? Must be possible as why else would there be an option to import "Kindle AZW" books onto Preader.

If running a script is the only way to find out the Device ID, then can someone point me to such a script and can someone confirm that this actually works?

Edit: I found the script. Way way over my head.

Can someone at least confirm that if I can find a way to get my Device ID off the Kindle for PC that this device ID will actually work in pReader? I don't want to keep searching for the Device ID only to find out that this solution will not work either. Thanks.
    Last edited by Quintus; 04/30/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I think I just answered one of my own questions. Non-DRM books in azw format are capable of being opened by pReader but DRM books in azw format require your device ID.
    I think I just answered one of my own questions. Non-DRM books in azw format are capable of being opened by pReader but DRM books in azw format require your device ID.
    exactly, when this feature was released in 0.8.2, it was described in this way:

This version enables experimental support for Amazon Whispernet AZW files. DRMed files are only (and even then only maybe) supported if you know the unique Device ID of your Kindle device or Kindle software.

For now we are still in the "experimental" stage. Hopefully either we will stumble upon a breakthrough in our understanding of amazon drm, or amazon will open its drm up to be usable external readers. In my opinion, it is shortsighted to create a drm scheme that forces people to purchase only your reader. Consumers do not like to be forced into anything and in the long run it will hurt their business.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    There is a way to remove DRM from Kindle books, although the method that I use (if it weren't illegal ) requires Python scripts. It's not hard, but you do need to install Python. Do a Google search on "kindle remove DRM" or something like that.
  9.    #809  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    There is a way to remove DRM from Kindle books, although the method that I use (if it weren't illegal ) requires Python scripts. It's not hard, but you do need to install Python. Do a Google search on "kindle remove DRM" or something like that.
    Furthermore, and less grey-zone illegally there's a Python script out there that can generate a MobiPocket ID from the serial number of your Kindle:

Reversing Everything: Mobipocket books on Kindle

There's an off-chance that the ID that it generates is exactly the ID you need to decrypt the AZW files. Afterall, it's just MobiPocket with a few headers we completely ignore anyway. :P

Of course, I have no clue whether that works, since I don't possess even a single DRM protected Kindle book, and as such can't test it any further. But what I do know is that this won't work with files that are downloaded for the Kindle4PC app, because that doesn't generate a device, but rather a per-book ID.

Those latter files will probably never be supported by the pReader, because they'd necessarily demand a full implementation of the communication stack used by Amazon's devices and software. Your only recourse there is to use the De-DRMing tools available on the 'Net.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Success!!! With net tools I was able to de-DRM the book I purchased from Amazon and it works great with pReader.

Jappus, the Python script I used did generate a "PID" but when I tried to open the DRM version of the book using the PID, I received this message:

"That device ID is not a recognized format. (The checksum is invalid)."

Jappus, if you send me your email, I could send you both the DRM version of the book and the de-DRM version, together with the PID which was generated by the Python script. Not sure if this would help you further enhance pReader to work with Kindle books.

BTW, I'm using Kindle for PC and the script to de-DRM was made for it.

All in all, I'm ecstatic that I could now buy Kindle books!

E-reader is going through some changes and titles are disappearing. Very strange.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Jappus-

I think the limit on the number of books in each list has cropped back up. I'm limited to ~52 books per reading list.
  12.    #812  
    Jappus, if you send me your email, I could send you both the DRM version of the book and the de-DRM version, together with the PID which was generated by the Python script. Not sure if this would help you further enhance pReader to work with Kindle books.

BTW, I'm using Kindle for PC and the script to de-DRM was made for it.
    Nah, as I said in my earlier posting, I already know that the pReader will probably never support files generated for "Kindle for PC". The reason is that they simply don't use a global device ID, but instead a separate, new key for each book. A key that is never once divulged to the user. All the key retrieval does is to hook into the memory of "Kindle for PC" when it decodes/fetches that book-specific key.

Of course, this kind of solution isn't going to work on a Pre/Pixi.

The only possible support would be if you used a file that's registered for a real Kindle device, because those seem to use the fixed per-device IDs. Only those might be directly decryptable in the pReader by distilling that device ID from the Kindle serial number. But as I said, I don't own a Kindle and thus I can't really test that hypothesis. :P
  13.    #813  
    Quote Originally Posted by sfang001 View Post
    Jappus-

I think the limit on the number of books in each list has cropped back up. I'm limited to ~52 books per reading list.
    I'll have a look at it as soon as I can find the time. Maybe there has been a regression that popped up in the last version. We'll see.

Thanks for reporting it.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I have been a long long time customer of ereader.com but my recent sojourn into Amazon.com and the kindle books has opened my eyes to an incredibly larger, better and significantly cheaper ebook library. I cannot believe the price difference between Kindle books and ereader or mobipocket books. In some cases the price is more than 50% cheaper on amazon.com.

John Grisham's The Appeal is $18.95 at ereader.com, $15.00 at MobiPocket and $7.99 at Amazon.com. This is crazy!!!!

Jappus, thank you once again for making an app that is so versatile that it crosses so many formats to permit the user such universal choice. For those of you who are a little intimidated by the de-DRM scripts on the internet, I have some words of advice. DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!! Google is your friend. Once you find the instructions for "Converting Amazan Kindle for PC Books" on the net, follow the instructions and voila, it is clear sailing from there and you can enjoy all the Kindle books you can digest!

In addition to the cheaper price, with Amazon, you can bypass the geographic restrictions by merely adding different shipping addresses to your account. When you change your primary shipping address to another country, you get access to that country's library. For instance, I have been looking for Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride" in electronic format for some time but it is not available in this format in Canada or the US but is available in the U.K. So I added a UK address to my account, set it as primary, purchased the book, downloaded it and then changed by primary address back to Canada. Absolutely awesome!

Ok, that was my celebration for discovering a whole new and cheaper library. Now for the troubleshooting. Jappus, your help is here required!

Although the kindle books are fully readable in pReader, I have noticed that there are codes which appear here and there as if pReader is unable to interpret them. For instance, chapter changes are not very clean. In addition, text font control does not appear to be available. Each of my Kindle books have different fonts and I can't seem to change them. One has bold italics, the other has normal. My preference settings are set to Bold Regular. Although these settings work great for ereader books, they are not working for the un-DRM'd kindle books.

I suspect that there is something happening in the un-DRM process which is interfering with some of the advanced features of pReader. The reason I can state this with certainty is that the free Kindle book which I downloaded seems to work very nicely with pReader, i.e. font controls are all there and chapter breaks are clean.

Jappus, is this something worth looking into? I think many would benefit from a little troubleshooting here to ensure that our un-DRM'd kindle books are fully functional in pReader. As always, I am ready to help you in any way I can as I have been a strong supporter of this app from when it first became compatible with the ereader format.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I found a quick and easy solution to the formatting problem with de-DRM'd Kindle Books. There is a free ereader conversion application called "Calibre". It is operated through donations and I intend to donate.

If you convert your de-DRM'd Kindle Book to PDB format then install the PDB format onto your Pre, pReader will read it perfectly with no formatting difficulties or font problems (none that I have found yet anyways).

This might be the perfect solution unless Jappus thinks that he could resolve the formatting issues within pReader itself.

Wow....this has been an enlightening weekend for sure. I hope I've not bored anyone with my discoveries as I'm sure many of you were probably well aware of these already.
    Barnes and Noble books work well on the pReader. I just checked and The Appeal is $7.99 there as well. Even though B&N owns Fictionwise, books are much cheaper directly from the B&N site and the selection si greater. The only disadvantage is that they cannot be directly downloaded; you must first go to the PC. If anyone could fix that that would be a real bonus.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Barnes and Noble books work well on the pReader. I just checked and The Appeal is $7.99 there as well. Even though B&N owns Fictionwise, books are much cheaper directly from the B&N site and the selection si greater. The only disadvantage is that they cannot be directly downloaded; you must first go to the PC. If anyone could fix that that would be a real bonus.
    eBooks - The Appeal by John Grisham - eReader.com

Maybe I'm getting the Canadian price and maybe my experience with ereader is based on the fact that I cannot change my place of residence to get access to a greater selection of books at cheaper prices. (Residence is based on credit card residence only!)

With respect to the "download" option. You can get your ereader books directly online with the Pre. Once you buy a book, go to your ereader bookshelf using the Pre's browser and it will let you download the book directly onto your device. You could then open the book with Preader without ever having to go to your computer. That is something you definitely cannot do with amazon's Kindle books.
    The B&N site is not the same as the eReader site:

Barnes*&*Noble.com - eBooks Search: appeal

Don't know if it is available in Canada.

When you try to download directly you get some sort of error message.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    The B&N site is not the same as the eReader site:

Barnes¬*&¬*Noble.com - eBooks Search: appeal

Don't know if it is available in Canada.

When you try to download directly you get some sort of error message.
    Thanks for the clarification. The Barnes & Noble site is not available to Canadians! Looks like Amazon remains the best option for those of us outside of the Unites States of America.
    I found a quick and easy solution to the formatting problem with de-DRM'd Kindle Books. There is a free ereader conversion application called "Calibre". It is operated through donations and I intend to donate.

If you convert your de-DRM'd Kindle Book to PDB format then install the PDB format onto your Pre, pReader will read it perfectly with no formatting difficulties or font problems (none that I have found yet anyways).

This might be the perfect solution unless Jappus thinks that he could resolve the formatting issues within pReader itself.

Wow....this has been an enlightening weekend for sure. I hope I've not bored anyone with my discoveries as I'm sure many of you were probably well aware of these already.
    I know that this may seam like a ridiculous question, but have all of you Amazon customers contacted Amazon and asked for a device # for you pReader or Pre? Perhaps if we bombard them and they see that there is a large enough group of readers, they'll at least give us a device #. They wouldn't even have to develop the software and it would translate to 100s or 1000s of additional books being sold.