Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    Noob question: How do you install a book?
    Connect your Pre, via USB cable, to your computer. Select "USB Drive Mode." Then, put the book anywhere on the Pre's USB drive. Disconnect.

Go into pReader, tap "Add Book to Library." If you put a supported book on the USB drive, it should show up.

In some cases, you can download from a website directly by tapping on a download button on the website. Then, use "Add Book to Library" in pReader.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Just another thank you. I love this app and am amazed at the responsiveness of the development "team" :-) I am really looking forward to v9 and the awesomeness that shall ensue!
    Thanks! This app is very nice. Never used an ereader before but this is great!

Reading The Art of War downloaded from Project Gutenberg...
    Note to Predator-1, I usually put all my books into one folder, that way I can manage them better and eliminate guesswork if something goes awry and a book can't be found that I'm sure I installed.
    Hi!
    I just realized that pReader can read HTML files. Right now I haven't bought a Pre Plus (waiting for the Bell GSM version), so I can't test the app.
    I regularly make archives of web sites using the Scrapbook extension on Firefox. This makes a neat folder with all the files inside. The actual HTML file is an index file. It's located inside the folder itself.
    The wonderful thing about Scrapbook is that it enables to capture a webpage in various depths, with granular control over which pages are captured. So it can be used to create little books from websites. I use it extensively on my Palm TX. I just put the folder on my SD card, and with Blazer, open the index file, and then just put a bookmark.
    If I could do this with pReader, then it would make the best possible ereader ever for me.
    Can anybody tell me if this is possible? Is it also possible to test this in the emulator?
    Thanks in advance! Can't wait to dump my TX and join the webOS club.
  6.    #786  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    [Scrapbook support in pReader]
    If I could do this with pReader, then it would make the best possible ereader ever for me.
    Can anybody tell me if this is possible? Is it also possible to test this in the emulator?
    The problem with ScrapBook is that to use it right, you need a web browser, and well, the pReader is not a web browser, it just runs in one.

At the moment, the pReader is geared towards the "one file - one book" design, which means that support for Scrapbook files could only come in the form of internally distilling a Scrapbook archive into a single book. So basically, if you just want to read the thing once you've created it, support for it could be added to the pReader.

To make a long story short: It's not supported at the moment, but support for it in one form or another is possible, if someone takes the time to write an importer for it. I personally have no time for it at the moment, because the transition from JSJSJS $to$ $native$ $code$ $eats$ $what$ $little$ $spare$ $time$ $I$ $have$ $beside$ $writing$ $my$ $thesis$.

And yeah, if you want, you can test the pReader in the WebOS Emulator, since it's written entirely in plain JavaScript, it runs on any WebOS device, including the emulator.
    Okay, I'll definitely try it in the emulator.

What about .mht support? That could turn the web archive into a single file. Have you thought of adding .mht support?

Thanks for the hard work!
    I'm wondering if books are stored in the general storage area until installed and then take up valuable real estate in the relatively narrow part reserved for apps. It seems that if I "install" more than one novel, the Pre slows down to a crawl.
  9.    #789  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    What about .mht support? That could turn the web archive into a single file. Have you thought of adding .mht support?
    Yup, MHT support is definitely planned. Not just as an import format, but also as an eventual output format of your entire library, because at the moment, hard-resetting your WebOS device means that you have to manually re-import everything.

But since writing to actual files (instead of an internal DB) is only something we can do once we've transitioned to native code, I've decided to postpone the implementation of MHT till we can get rid of the clunkier Javascript parts.
  10.    #790  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Conner View Post
    I'm wondering if books are stored in the general storage area until installed and then take up valuable real estate in the relatively narrow part reserved for apps. It seems that if I "install" more than one novel, the Pre slows down to a crawl.
    Well, due to limitations in the WebOS Javascript API, every file you open has to be loaded completely into RAM -- but if the Garbage Collector works correctly, that space should be freed completely once the import process has run through.

Thereafter, the data is stored in the "/media/internal/.app-storage" folder, and read in handy 4kB large chunks, which means that there should be no space or RAM related issues (the /media/internal partition has ~7GB of space).

To make a long story short: You should only experience a slowdown during import (where 100% of the CPU is used and the memory usage peaks). But after it has run through, your device should almost immediately be responsive again. To be precise, this is the first report of sluggishness after importing a book that has reached me.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    okay, I've been trying to figure this out on my own but apparently i'm too new at this. i'm not a techie but I love to read. i've had this app for a while but last week i purchased a couple books thru ebook but can't get them to show up after attemping to add to library. my phone keeps telling me the device id doesn't match the one required to open the book, that i should add my device id to the publishers website then download the book again. I'm using mobipocket, that pid is registered to my ebook account as is the device id from my pre. i copy/pasted those pid's in ebook as requested as not to make any typing errors and besides i've double and triple checked to make they are correct, and they are. on top of eveything else, once i've cycled thru everything and i tap cancel, the app tells me i'm using an unsupported file format. i thought preader supported mobipocket files, or am just a dimwit? the 3 letters at the end of the file are .prc. not supported? what i am i missing.
    For mobi documents, there's no pasting of the ID required. The only thing you need to do is regster your Pre's mobi ID at the site you purchased your book then redownload the book so you have a copy encrypted for your device.

If preader is asking you for info when you try to import the book, you probably have an eReader doc and not mobi. For an eReader book, you need to enter your name EXACTLY as you entered it when you purcased. Capitalization matters - don't forget middle initials if you gave them. Then enter your credit card number without spaces. Don't worry, this is NOT stores on the device (unless you use keyring which stores it password protedted) just used to open the book.

If this doesn't open the book, you probably bought an unsupported format. Where did you get the books from?
  13.    #793  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickrahn View Post
    I'm using mobipocket, that pid is registered to my ebook account as is the device id from my pre. i copy/pasted those pid's in ebook as requested as not to make any typing errors and besides i've double and triple checked to make they are correct, and they are.
    You shouldn't need to copy/paste anything during import, if the Device ID was registered in the MobiPocket file, the pReader automatically uses that.

Only when that fails does the pReader ask you for a different PID.

Basically, here are the steps that you need to follow to get a MobiPocket with you device ID:
    1. Start the pReader and go to the Library Window.
    2. Open the app menu (top-left corner) and select "Device ID"
    3. Write down the ID that is displayed
    4. Log onto the website where you downloaded the book from and register that Device ID as one of your personal IDs.
    5. Re-Download the book in question from the Website. Only freshly downloaded books will contain the new Device ID.
    6. Copy the book to your Pre/Pixi (can be ignored if you downloaded it through the onboard browser)
    7. Open the pReader and import the new file.

The pReader should then immediately read the book without any problems.

If that fails for some reason (maybe the Website needs a bit of time to register the new IDs), you can try to use one of the other IDs that you've maybe registered on the Website before.

Other than that, I don't have any more advice. It should work. If you wish to test whether the file was registered with the correct IDs, you could try the De-DRM tool that's available online:

How To Remove DRM from MOBI and PRC eBooks

If even that fails to decrypt the book with the given ID, then the ID was simply not registered properly and incorporated into the file. In that case, you should contact the Website administrators and ask them if they can help you, since the problem is on their side, in that case.

on top of eveything else, once i've cycled thru everything and i tap cancel, the app tells me i'm using an unsupported file format. i thought preader supported mobipocket files, or am just a dimwit? the 3 letters at the end of the file are .prc. not supported? what i am i missing.
    Yeah, one of those days I should really rewrite this error message.

Basically, it appears whenever a book couldn't be added to the library. Most of the time it's either because the book couldn't be decrypted, or because the book is really in a format unknown to the pReader.

If you can see the dialog that asks you for your credentials (Device ID for MobiPocket, ID+CC number for eReader), then that means the pReader supports the format, obviously. Unfortunately, when decryption fails and you decide to abort the import, the pReader doesn't check whether the import failed because of wrong format, or because of user abort and immediately displays the standard "Unsupported Format" message.

As I said, I really should change it, but since it was always rather low on my ToDo list, I usually had more pressing matters to address. :P
    I am trying to view the 1991 Baptist Hymnal, which is a pdb file downloaded from 1991 Baptist Hymnal eBook. I am getting an "Unsupported File Format" message. Any ideas on why this isn't working?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I recently purchased a book from the Barnes & Noble website and added it to my pReader library using my User ID and CC info. It works great except for one issue; it does not show any apostrophes, quotation marks or dashes. The file is in the PDB format. I thought maybe it was something to do with the DRM but I was able to de-DRM the file and still had the same issue. Any ideas?
    I've also tried the same book obtained elsewhere in the mobi format. It had the missing apostrophes and quotation marks but had no line breaks between paragraphs.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeaimee1611 View Post
    I am trying to view the 1991 Baptist Hymnal, which is a pdb file downloaded from 1991 Baptist Hymnal eBook. I am getting an "Unsupported File Format" message. Any ideas on why this isn't working?
    Hi. The page for the link you provided shows the pdb file format as MobileDB, which is a database program, and not an ebook format. Unfortunately, that is the only format they have the hymnal in...

Regards,
    -Jerry
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  17.    #797  
    Quote Originally Posted by ebslater26 View Post
    I recently purchased a book from the Barnes & Noble website and added it to my pReader library using my User ID and CC info. It works great except for one issue; it does not show any apostrophes, quotation marks or dashes. The file is in the PDB format. I thought maybe it was something to do with the DRM but I was able to de-DRM the file and still had the same issue. Any ideas?
    I've also tried the same book obtained elsewhere in the mobi format. It had the missing apostrophes and quotation marks but had no line breaks between paragraphs.
    The likeliest reason is that you need to set the proper display encoding for that file. Open the book, tap the App Menu on the top left and select "Change encoding". Then try to select UTF-8 or CP-1252. One of those two should display the punctuation marks correctly.

You can also change the default encoding used for new books in the Options menu, if you know that most of your books will be in a certain encoding. By the way, the "factory" default is CP-1252.

Of course, if that doesn't solve your problem, don't hesitate to post again.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The likeliest reason is that you need to set the proper display encoding for that file. Open the book, tap the App Menu on the top left and select "Change encoding". Then try to select UTF-8 or CP-1252. One of those two should display the punctuation marks correctly.
    Wow, I think I tried everything except CP-1252. That got it, thanks! Something I noticed though while testing that. First I changed the character encoding to CP-1252, saw that it was working, did a little victory dance, then closed the program. Then, upon launching it again, my library was empty. I had to add the book again. This is the first time I've noticed this happen, but I pretty much never closed it when reading my previous book. Is this a known issue? I'm not even certain what I did that could have caused it.
  19.    #799  
    Quote Originally Posted by ebslater26 View Post
    Then, upon launching it again, my library was empty. I had to add the book again. This is the first time I've noticed this happen, but I pretty much never closed it when reading my previous book. Is this a known issue? I'm not even certain what I did that could have caused it.
    Damn, you're the second user who reports a mysterious drop of his library. But at the same time, it seems to only happen under very specific, rare circumstances, or we'd already have seen more users losing all, or parts of their library this way. Of course, that also most likely means that it's almost impossible to reproduce it.

Damn.

It'd really help if you could watch this issue on your device and look if it pops up again, and if, look if you can find a way to reproduce it. In an earlier version we had some issues when the user kept the pReader running while connecting the device to the USB port, because whenever that happens, WebOS silently severs all database connections. That bug should be gone now, but I guess some other outside case is still hiding under the rugs.

I guess that's one more reason to seriously consider abandoning the WebOS database system and implement a home-brewed data storage. Eh, we'll cross that bridge once we reach it.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    So, I'm sure that the answer is somewhere in this long thread, but can someone point to instructions on how to open a kindle book? I have downloaded it, pReader reads it but gives me a message that I have to register my Pre's Device ID and then redownload the book. How do I register the Pre's Device ID with Amazon?

Thanks for your help!