Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Amazing and wonderful. Thank you.

Any way to tie its functionality in with Palm's Doc Reader, so Word-formatted docs are also readable?

Just asking; I really have no idea. But I've got quite a few texts in that format.
    Great app, really usefull.

Background colour #074602
    Font colour #1AEF07

ahh, soothing, reminds me of my cpc464
    Thank you, thank you. I have been so disappointed with eReader not getting a Pre app out within the first few months that their tech support said was coming. I like you have a large library that I could not access with out getting the Palm emulator (I don't want to go backwards). Now I can continue reading my books I am just so thrilled.

I would like to throw out just one request, that is after the app is closed when I re open I would rather the last open book just came up to the last opened page. No big deal but would save a few presses on the way in. I do not normally keep to many apps up and running, but this may be the 1 exception that I just keep it up.
    I am one of the ones that when I selected the prc file and clicked reader and nothing happened. I downloaded 0.5.4 and it started opening it then it popped up with a message saying unsupported PDB database. However I tried loading it with the palm reader on this site and it loaded no problem. The file is converted from a lit file and doesnt have DRM. If you PM me your email I can email the copy of the book to you
    Can we have a search feature? Allow more than one book to be remembered where you left off?

One thing that would be GREAT is the ability for the program to search the book for chapter tags and create a click-able Chapter list. Search for Chapter 1, Chapter I, (Just search for 'chap' and a number or roman numerals) Part 1, Part 2 etc... You will need a few variations but it would be a cool feature that I have not seen before.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by HagerDeath1 View Post
    I am one of the ones that when I selected the prc file and clicked reader and nothing happened. I downloaded 0.5.4 and it started opening it then it popped up with a message saying unsupported PDB database. However I tried loading it with the palm reader on this site and it loaded no problem. The file is converted from a lit file and doesnt have DRM. If you PM me your email I can email the copy of the book to you
    The PM is underway.

As for why it gives you the error message, the message describes the situation quite succinctly. The PRC is in a format that can' be read by pReader, yet. Currently, pReader only supports plain text, PalmDOC and non-DRMed eReader files. It does not support ePub, MobiPocket, Plucker, iSilo, TealDOC, TomeRaider and a slew of other formats.

But just like the PalmReader, the pReader will support those formats too in the future.

The main reason why I don't implement those formats right now is that, contrary to the PalmReader, my app is currently still geared for displaying plain text. But all those formats benefit greatly from rich text. Therefore, adding support for them will only make sense once pReader has a rich text display mode.

And as I mentioned in the original post, the roadmap does include that point. But currently, I deem it more important to first fix/implement other things, like the basic UI, better encoding/font support, bookmarking capabilities, and text search.

Especially on the first point this thread was tremendously helpful.

As it stands, I associate the features roughly with the following version numbers:
    v0.6.X --> Encoding / Font support & Text search
    v0.7.X --> Flexible bookmarking support (directly necessary for links in Rich Text)
    v0.8.X --> Rich Text support with the pReader format as Proof-Of-Concept
    v0.9.X --> Version that adds support for all those other formats
    v1.0.0 --> Cleaning of code so that it really deserves v1.0.0

UI / Performance improvements will happen simultaneously in the Micro-Revisions (The X-numbers) and will depend largely on what the future Mojo-/WebOS-APIs will offer.

I estimate that as a lone developer I can carry it to v0.8.0. Beyond that, the transition to a Dev Team will be inevitable. That's exactly why this thing is GPLed. I (probably) won't need to go the whole distance alone.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Can we have a search feature? Allow more than one book to be remembered where you left off?
    pReader should remember your last position in all the books you've opened with it. Yup, just rechecked it on the Emulator. It should store positions for an almost arbitrary number of files.

By the way. It does this by remembering the name of the file. So if you rename the file, it loses its position and starts anew. Also, if there's not enough space to create the Database for that (which is unlikely given its size), it also can't store positions.

One thing that would be GREAT is the ability for the program to search the book for chapter tags and create a click-able Chapter list. Search for Chapter 1, Chapter I, (Just search for 'chap' and a number or roman numerals) Part 1, Part 2 etc... You will need a few variations but it would be a cool feature that I have not seen before.
    As I said above, flexible bookmarking is on the roadmap. As soon as that's done, adding auto-indexing will most likely be possible.

But of course, since it must be implemented wholly in Javascript, the performance-hit will be most likely be too big to make it a default. Afterall, there's a difference between a native program running on a 4GHz Multicore machine, and Javascript program running on the ~600MHz single core ARMv7 machine that is the Pre...
    I wasn't clear before; I didn't mean Palm docs (PRC) but rather Word docs (DOC).
    Amazing work, the Hebrew fonts look grate but the order (spelling) is not. I have several Hebrew palm prc files, are the changes you made for Hebrew support supposed to be in version 0.5.4? I tested it and I am getting an unsupported PDB file error.

Any way keep up the great work,
    Thanks.
  10.    #70  
    Good news everyone!

I updated the pReader to version 0.5.5. The pReader now supports UTF-8. That means you should be able to read Chinese, Japanese, Greek and other eBooks. Well, as long as their container format is supported, and they're actually encoded in UTF-8 and not, for example Windows-1253 for Greek.

To read such a file, you must first select a Unicode font in the Preferences menu. Both Times and Verdana work. Unfortunately, Palm "forgot" to include glyphs for some language, like Hebrew. To read those, you have to install a custom font onto the Pre (into /usr/share/fonts), reboot the Pre and then select its font name as a custom font in the pReader.

Additionally, I improved the UI a bit. To be precise, the Goto Percentage dialog now allows you to type in the percentage. No more fiddling with the slider, if you don't want to.

The other new thing is that the pReader now loads the book you read last when it starts up. Of course, this property can be disabled in the preferences.

Happy Reading,
    and please report if something seems broken.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    I wasn't clear before; I didn't mean Palm docs (PRC) but rather Word docs (DOC).
    Well, the best I could do there would be to call the built-in Document Viewer, because, you know, the Word DOC format is a really huge trainwreck of such epic proportions that reading/rendering it at all in any recognizable fashion took the guys of OpenOffice several months, if not years.

But if all my app does is to call another app, why start my app at all? So, no, I'm pretty sure that I'll leave dealing with Word documents in the capable, if pricey, hands of the DataViz guys. :P
    I like to see that your at least willing to try and tackle the DRM issue if you can ..... All my books were bought on ereader.com .... maybe 1 or 2 from barnes & chernoble...... I never had issue loading them with ereader on multiple treos ..... DRM sux .... I cant read my books (ok I have classic but pleeez)

I was a good boy I bought my $hit ..... now I cant use it on a new improved device ??? Rage baby. So where do I find my books in a compatible format if you get my picture???
    no screen shots?
    --Marvin
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    no screen shots?
    If you mean the first post in this thread, yeah, I've removed the screenshots, because they're all on the App-Page here on PreCentral.

If you mean "No screenshot of UTF-8 support", though, then the simple reason is that I have no meaningful files for which to create screenshots. I simply don't speak any language that uses more than the regular Latin alphabets with accents/diacritics/umlauts. The only resource I have is this page which generates UTF-8 Lorem-Ipsum texts in many languages.

But well, I can't tell if that's gibberish or not. I mean, more than the normal gibberish that is "Lorem Ipsum". Therefore, all the screenshots I could present could, as far as I know, only showcase that nothing works at all. :P

Of course, if someone can send me a file that works, I'll be more than glad to add a screenshot of that.
  15.    #75  
    Since I'm already on the topic of files, I have found a page that describes, roughly, how the eReader DRM scheme works:
    eReader DRM Flowchart - MobileRead Forums

Additionally I have found both a DES as well as a SHA-1 Javascript library online. And as far as I can tell, both are free and sufficiently fast. Therefore, it is at least theoretically possible that I may be able to support DRMed eReader books.

But to check that, I first have to actually possess such a file, and a valid decryption key for it. And here's the problem: Since I'm a German, I don't actually possess a credit card (Who needs those anyway... ) and since the key is based around a Username + CC number ... well.

But asking you guys for a file + key is also problematic, since I don't know what B&N would say to that. I mean, if I just implement their DRM scheme, I'm probably legally safe, because I don't "break" the encryption, I just implement it. And since I don't use their algorithm, only their files, it'd not even be reverse-engineering (which wouldn't be illegal in Germany anyway).

The problem is just that I'd need to ask one of you guys to basically give me one of those files and your key for it for free, basically circumventing the restrictions after all. And that's the weak point of it.

The only clean solution would be if I could get a free, but DRMed file together with its publicly known decryption key. if such a beast exists at all. :P

So, any ideas anyone?
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is a very nice app... ;0)
    Last edited by Galtish; 11/07/2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: i'm ********
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    god this app rocks, very surprised by all the supported features. Love the keyboard support, auto-scroll, etc. Well done!
    I'm glad you like it, but the program you're referring to is not the pReader, but the Palm Reader; which is indeed a fine app.

Of course this only means that all these function will sooner or later be found in the pReader too. I'm good at taking hints from the audience.

Competition is indeed something marvelous. It makes us strive to achieve the best we can.

P.S.
    The same confusion of applications happened on the Palm Reader thread too. I guess I really should've chosen a more ... unique name. But well, it is hard to be unique if there's exactly one word which describes exactly what a program does. It's a reader. What's more to say?

Of course, I could always have opted to stay true to my native language. But then it'd probably have become something like: "Leseprogramm für elektronische Druckerzeugnisse auf einer tragbaren Kommunikations- und Recheneinheit".
    I think I like that name
    Of course, it would then be the "LfeDaetKuR". I don't see a problem with that!
    Can't read Chinese plain text, i have chosen utf-8 encoding but just showing me mess, i have once edited your code as follow(0.5.4) and the reader works fine with Chinese, can you please look at it? Thanks.
    this.request.overrideMimeType('text/plain;charset=utf-8');
    //if (byt > 0xFF) byt &= 0xFF;
    BTW, i prefer that you add an option to enable/disable the orientation rotation, i don't want it change to landscape when i am lying on my side, now i have to delete the codes to disable it.
    Last edited by zhzyg; 11/10/2009 at 09:02 AM.
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast