Page 35 of 72 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #681  
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1951 View Post
    Okay - I must be really dense, but once you're reading a book, how do you switch to another book. So far I had to set 'Open last book' to No and restart the app. Surely there is a better way.
    When you're in the Reader view (where you read a book), simply execute the swipe-back gesture, and the pReader will take you back to the Library view (where you can add new books). That's also why you very briefly see the Library scene when you re-open the pReader when "Open last book" is enabled: To enable this swipe back, I always have to load the Library and then the Reader.
    Hi - first of all, love the app and have been reading content from ereader and barnes & noble with no problem, so thank you.

Today, I bought a book from amazon that wasn't available at any of the other reader sites. To get it, I downloaded kindle for PC to my computer. The file is a .prc and is very large (3.7mb) compared to the other content I have.

Even though the pReader finds the book on the pre, it never actually loads, the loading spinning-disk freezes and eventually the phone just goes to sleep. Is this something I won't be able to put on the phone?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    Even though the pReader finds the book on the pre, it never actually loads, the loading spinning-disk freezes and eventually the phone just goes to sleep. Is this something I won't be able to put on the phone?
    Probably because preader only supports UNsecured Kindle files. Even though preader supports secured Mobipocket files, Amazon modified the format slightly after they bought it and implemented it on the Kindle.

Panagiotis
  4.    #684  
    Hi - first of all, love the app and have been reading content from ereader and barnes & noble with no problem, so thank you.

Today, I bought a book from amazon that wasn't available at any of the other reader sites. To get it, I downloaded kindle for PC to my computer. The file is a .prc and is very large (3.7mb) compared to the other content I have.

Could you send me the file so I can have a look at it? Because really, it boils down to one of three reasons.
    1. It's a DRMed file, in which case the pReader should tell you so, instead of hanging.
    2. It's actually a Topaz file, again in which case the pReader should tell you so.
    3. It's an unprotected book, but the slightly different headers cause pReader to fail.

In all three cases, I'd really like to take a look at it and remove the source of the livelock.

I've just sent you a PM with my E-Mail address. Thanks.
    Terrific app.
    I use it to read Russian books in Cyrillic-1251.
    Question: Occasionally even though my theme calls for a full screen with a flick scroll, the button scroll bar with errors appears on the bottom. This appears when I do a "slow" down-up flick. Any way to get rid of it again, other than reloading my theme? Thanks.
    x
  6.    #686  
    Quote Originally Posted by xdreduardx View Post
    Question: Occasionally even though my theme calls for a full screen with a flick scroll, the button scroll bar with errors appears on the bottom. This appears when I do a "slow" down-up flick. Any way to get rid of it again, other than reloading my theme? Thanks.
    x
    The fullscreen and belt-bar settings are not stored in the themes. Even though I could make them dependent on the themes, I decided to apply them globally without regard to the currently active theme. The simple reason is that those two settings can be toggled by tapping&holding the upper/lower part of the screen.

If you tap&hold the upper part, the pReader (de-)activates the fullscreen mode, and if you tap&hold the lower part, it toggles the belt-bar. So here's what probably happened to you during a "slow" flick: WebOS decided that you didn't actually execute a flick, but rather a tap&hold ... whereupon pReader toggles the fullscreen or belt bar, depending on where you started (or stopped, it's hard to tell).

I could add an option to disable this tap&hold behaviour, but I deem these toggles so useful to most users, that I didn't want to clutter the options screen further with options almost no user will ever desire to change.

But of course, I'm open to suggestions. Afterall, it's supposed to be a User-Interface, not a Developer-Interface.
    Originally Posted by labrat1951
    Okay - I must be really dense, but once you're reading a book, how do you switch to another book. So far I had to set 'Open last book' to No and restart the app. Surely there is a better way.

Originally Posted by Jappus
    When you're in the Reader view (where you read a book), simply execute the swipe-back gesture, and the pReader will take you back to the Library view (where you can add new books). That's also why you very briefly see the Library scene when you re-open the pReader when "Open last book" is enabled: To enable this swipe back, I always have to load the Library and then the Reader.
    When I use the swipe back, it just jiggles the view, but remains in the same book.
    Last edited by labrat1951; 03/17/2010 at 10:24 AM.
  8.    #688  
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1951 View Post
    When I use the swipe back, it just jiggles the view, but remains in the same book.
    What do you mean with "jiggles the view"?

Mhhhm, wait. I've got an idea. Have you enabled the "Advanced Gestures" in the "Screen & Lock" options of WebOS? Because in that case, doing a swipe back over the entire gesture area will not execute the "Back" action, but rather attempt to switch apps. And if I remember correctly, whenever there's only one app, the screen just "jiggles" briefly.

I for one understand why Palm left this option disabled by default, because it's really hard to control. When I tested it way back last year, I could never reliably create one or the other, so I quickly disabled that feature again.

If you want to keep the "Advanced Gestures" activated (if you activated them at all), I can only suggest starting your swipe-back gesture from the button in the middle of the gesture area (or the beveled area, in case you have a Pixi/PrePlus).

I hope that helps.
    I don't know if it was already mentioned, but i have bug (or i am just plain stupid) when opening/converting ePub files.
    It could also be that it is how they were created, since i've got the all from the same source.

When i want to add a ePub file to the library, the convertion works fine.
    I see the book in the library and can open it just fine.
    The problem is that pReader seems to "forget" to convert the first few chapters.
    One book starts at chapter 10, the other one at chapter 15 and so on.
    On the same book there are always the same chapters missing, no matter how often i convert it.

Furthermore it seems that pReader is removing spaces even though they exist when i look at the file on my PC.

I have also attached a file, which always starts at chapter 10 when i convert it and where you can see the problem with the blanks.
    I still don't know exactly WHERE to put my eReader .pdb file in the Pre file system (via USB). And, I can't seem to unlock my eReader book using my credit card no. - it fails, suggests only 8 characters, still fails, etc. Is there anything like an operation manual for this, 'cause it's really not as intuitive as people say.
  11.    #691  
    Quote Originally Posted by glreidaz View Post
    I still don't know exactly WHERE to put my eReader .pdb file in the Pre file system (via USB).
    You can put it anywhere you like on the USB partition. Due to the limitations of the Palm API, the only way to select files is through the FilePicker, and that one simply searches all folders on the USB partition and prints out all the files it finds in one consecutive, plain, folderless list.

Of course, since you can still see the folders when you read the USB partition from a PC, I recommend that you create a folder with a name you like (mine is called "eBooks" ) and put all your eBook files into that one. Also do note that you don't need to keep the original files on the device once you've added the books to the library. Well, at least as long as you don't want/need to re-import them.

And, I can't seem to unlock my eReader book using my credit card no. - it fails, suggests only 8 characters, still fails, etc. Is there anything like an operation manual for this, 'cause it's really not as intuitive as people say.
    Well, I can only offer basic advice like: Make sure that you enter the last 8 digits of your CC number. Please make sure that you used the correct user name. Check that the file you want to load was bought & downloaded with that CC number and not an older one. If in doubt, re-download the book, if possible at all.

Other than that, it really should work. As far as we know, we've correctly implemented the support for all existing eReader DRM formats.
  12.    #692  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funsh View Post
    When i want to add a ePub file to the library, the convertion works fine.
    I see the book in the library and can open it just fine.
    The problem is that pReader seems to "forget" to convert the first few chapters.
    [...]
    Furthermore it seems that pReader is removing spaces even though they exist when i look at the file on my PC.

I have also attached a file, which always starts at chapter 10 when i convert it and where you can see the problem with the blanks.
    Could you send me a link to the file(s) that exhibit that problem? If you wish to send them to me via E-Mail, just write a PM to me and I'll give you my E-Mail address.

The beautiful side of ePub is that it is open, free and standardized -- but the ugly side is that that also means that everyone can chose to creatively interpret/ignore the standard and still call it an ePub file.
    Quote Originally Posted by glreidaz View Post
    And, I can't seem to unlock my eReader book using my credit card no. - it fails, suggests only 8 characters, still fails, etc. Is there anything like an operation manual for this, 'cause it's really not as intuitive as people say.
    When you enter the credit card number, make sure you only enter the numbers with no spaces. If you enter the spaces, it won't work. Also, make sure you enter your name EXACTLY as you gave it to the store you bought the book from - it IS case sensitive and spaces ARE required here if they were in your name as submitted to the store.

Panagiotis
    Hi Jappus!!

Sorry to bug you... I'm sure my problem will not be one for the vast majority of pReader users.. That being said, I'm one of those people who have lots and lots of ebooks. Before the last update, I had apporximately 200 plus ebooks loaded. (I just like to have a huge selection to pick from...I know it's odd!)
    When I did the last update, it appeared that almost ALL of my ebooks were gone. The DB files were still there...but, I couldn't access any of them.
    Well..now I figured out what the problem was. For some reason, I can only display 50 ebook titles...anything after that will STILL be loaded...but I have to remember what title is it and type it in the Search Field...if you get what I'm saying?
    It's probably just a glitch...but, when it first happened, I deleted everything.. I just pulled the folder from the .APP directory...
    So far, it seems the 50 is the break-off number. Is there anything I can do? Or is this something that will be addressed in a future update? Before, I had 6 or 7 ebook categories...and, now that hindsight is 20/20, I can remember that only the ones that had over 50 titles in them were cut down in size.
    Is this something anyone else has experienced? I know that you also have a lot of ebooks, so I'm wondering if you've encountered the same issues? Occam's Razor would sugggest that I just limit myself to 50 ebooks at any one time (which would force me to only read the books I have loaded instead of adding new books all the time! Lol) but, I really miss the way I had all those ebooks loaded before!
    Thanks again for such a kick-*** product!!

UPDATE: Ooops!! Sorry about that! I see you've already addressed this issue! I'll be waiting for the next update 0.8.3...right? Thanks again!! Glad to see I'm not the only one who has more than 50 ebooks loaded! Heh heh...
    Last edited by couch1970; 03/18/2010 at 08:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The fullscreen and belt-bar settings are not stored in the themes. Even though I could make them dependent on the themes, I decided to apply them globally without regard to the currently active theme. The simple reason is that those two settings can be toggled by tapping&holding the upper/lower part of the screen.

If you tap&hold the upper part, the pReader (de-)activates the fullscreen mode, and if you tap&hold the lower part, it toggles the belt-bar. So here's what probably happened to you during a "slow" flick: WebOS decided that you didn't actually execute a flick, but rather a tap&hold ... whereupon pReader toggles the fullscreen or belt bar, depending on where you started (or stopped, it's hard to tell).

I could add an option to disable this tap&hold behaviour, but I deem these toggles so useful to most users, that I didn't want to clutter the options screen further with options almost no user will ever desire to change.

But of course, I'm open to suggestions. Afterall, it's supposed to be a User-Interface, not a Developer-Interface.
    Thanks. Now that I know how to toggle the belt bar and full screen by tapping and holding, I much prefer this to changing themes and therefore would not recommend any changes to the interface.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    may i will buy one
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    thanks
    Did you get my email?
  19.    #699  
    Did you get my email?
    Yup. But I had to fix an ePub bug earlier today, which ate all my allotted free time.

I had intended to write you tomorrow morning, but since you've taken the time to post here, I've just taken a gander at the file. Unfortunately, I don't have particularly good news. Because, even though the file ending is ".prc", the file itself is a Topaz file.

That format is unfortunately wholly undocumented, totally proprietary, not supported by any conversion/decryption software (well, Amazon probably has one, but they're not sharing ) and as far as I've heard from Kindle users an absolutely utter atrocity speed-wise.

And to top it off: Amazon has decided that all new books will be released exclusively in the Topaz format. So well, the only thing I can recommend is getting a refund from Amazon, because that file will only be readable on a Kindle / with Amazon software for the foreseeable future.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    OK, so Amazon are control-freaks.

Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate the effort and I love your app.