Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    I've never tried this app out at all, until now, but upon picking an ePub file that is under the 10MB limit, but still pretty large, the app gets stuck at the file chooser screen. The ePub I tried was 3.5MB. I bought it from the Sony store, and then removed the DRM, and it definitely works with PC apps that can't understand the DRM. The entry in the list turns gray, as if I was holding down on it, and I waited ten minutes with nothing happening before I gave up.

Neat app though. I probably wouldn't use it regularly, but it's nice to have.
  2.    #662  
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcleanfun View Post
    As the versions before, it don't work with my epub files. Can't import them in the library :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've never tried this app out at all, until now, but upon picking an ePub file that is under the 10MB limit, but still pretty large, the app gets stuck at the file chooser screen. The ePub I tried was 3.5MB. I bought it from the Sony store, and then removed the DRM, and it definitely works with PC apps that can't understand the DRM. The entry in the list turns gray, as if I was holding down on it, and I waited ten minutes with nothing happening before I gave up.
    Could you both send me a few of those files that don't work, or provide a link to them? Because, as long as I don't have files that actually exhibit the problem, I can't fix it.

Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-Mail address.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Is there a reason the categories are now limited to 50 books each? I've got some categories where I formerly had well over 100 books and had to do a search on each book that was "hidden" by being over the 50 book limit and then giving them a new category so I could find them without typing in their names.
  4.    #664  
    Quote Originally Posted by sfang001 View Post
    Is there a reason the categories are now limited to 50 books each? I've got some categories where I formerly had well over 100 books and had to do a search on each book that was "hidden" by being over the 50 book limit and then giving them a new category so I could find them without typing in their names.
    Damn. There seems to be an error in how WebOS handles the new filter-list I use. Basically, to cut down on the time to render the list, WebOS offers a way to incrementally load the list. When WebOS creates the Library list, it asks my app "Please give me the next X entries for the list that start at position Y and match the string Z." As soon as the user scrolls beyond those X entries, WebOS should aks me for the next entries, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do that.

And, as you may have guessed: This value of X is 50...

I'll take a look at it later today and see if I can fix it.

P.S:
    I've fixed the bug. I simply "forgot" to tell WebOS how many entries the list has in total. And the reason why "forgot" is in quotation marks is because the documentation provided by Palm contains the very same error. I more and more get the feeling that Palm's Q&A never bothered to go over the docs, because that's not the only error I've found in it.

Anyway, I'll wait till "goodcleanfun" has sent me a few ePub files that don't work, and I'll release v0.8.3 as soon as I've fixed that issue too. I just hope that Palm will take less than a week to approve it this time.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/12/2010 at 05:47 AM.
  5.    #665  
    Good news everyone.

I've just submitted v0.8.3 to Palm. This release fixes the following problems/issues:

• Fixed a problem with importing certain ePub files.
    • The metadata and title should now be stored and displayed in whatever encoding you've selected for the file.
    • The library list should now display all entries again, instead of just the first 50.

Please report if you detect any problems with tis release. Especially the second point deserves attention, because I couldn't test it all that much. If you wish to test it right now, the ipkg files are, as always, available in the first posting of this thread.

Here's to hoping that Palm will need less than a week this time around ... and yeah, I know that I submitted it on a Friday again, against my better knowledge.

So long,
    Jappus.
    Having some issues with redownloading my books. I originally downloaded this a few weeks ago, got everything installed and running. (I was the guy who had problems with MobiPocket books hanging up and not loading all the way). I updated my passcode and redownloaded all my books, and everything was fine. But I had to switch back to my BB for a few weeks. I am now using my Pre again, restored my profile, and did the 1.4 upgrade. I also installed the latest version of the program. Now all my MobiPocket books load and read just fine. But I am having problems with the eReader/Fictionwise books that I downloaded. The user name/passcode is not being recognized on most of them. I reloaded 10 books on the Pre, and of the 10, only one recognized the user name/passcode combination. These are the same books that originally were recognized with no problems. Any suggestions?

Rich
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Well, that heavily depends on what format they're in, and if they're DRMed or not.

If they're Amazon Whispernet (AZW) files, pReader is able to read them, because they're just MobiPocket books with a few optional extra features and a different file ending (.azw instead of .mobi/.prc/.pdb). Only if they're DRMed you'll stumble upon a problem. Basically, since they're just MobiPocket files, all you'd need to read protected Kindle AZW books is to learn the Device ID of your Kindle device or Kindle software, enter it in the pReader and they should work too (we can't test it, because we lack the files). Unfortunately, Amazon is paranoid in that way and does not offer a way for you to read that Device ID, or change the ID that's associated with your Kindle account, because all Kinde Devices/Apps phone home to register your IDs.

But because AZW was cracked a long time ago, Amazon developed another, wholly proprietary format, named "Topaz". Such files carry the ending .tpz or .azw1 and are not documented anywhere. So just like iSilo, it's very unlikely that we'll be able to support those files any time soon.

To make a long story short:
    • If the file has the .azw ending, and is not DRMed, pReader can read it. With v0.8.1 you have to change the ending to .mobi, whereas the next v0.8.2 version will read them as-is.
    • If it has the .azw ending but is DRMed, you need to somehow learn your DeviceID to read them. Not impossible, but not easy either.
    • If it either ends with .tpz or .azw1, pReader won't be able to read them any time soon.
    Admittedly, a lot of this stuff is way past my pay grade (when I retired from paid programing, C++ was still all the rage). I imagine you may already know this, but I note that the "DarkReverser" site has several python scripts that convert topaz files, and perhaps there's some insight available there.

The site's blog is at New Blog Darkreverser’s Weblog,
    and a packet of the conversion scripts can be obtained at tools_v1.5.zip

Hope this is of some help.
    Figured it out. If you make a mistake or enter the wrong data anywhere in the name/passcode area, you have to reenter everything. IE, if you spell your name wrong, you can't just correct the spelling, you have to reenter the passcode. DOH!!!!
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9.    #669  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Figured it out. If you make a mistake or enter the wrong data anywhere in the name/passcode area, you have to reenter everything. IE, if you spell your name wrong, you can't just correct the spelling, you have to reenter the passcode. DOH!!!!
    Oh. That is almost certainly a bug. Afterall, we re-display the data the user has entered specifically for that case, when the user has just made a small typo or something. I'll go have a look at it tomorrow as to why that fails.

Thanks for reporting the issue.
  10.    #670  
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    Admittedly, a lot of this stuff is way past my pay grade (when I retired from paid programing, C++ was still all the rage). I imagine you may already know this, but I note that the "DarkReverser" site has several python scripts that convert topaz files, and perhaps there's some insight available there.
    The problem is the way those scripts work. There are pretty much three approaches:
    1. The first is to somehow intercept the data as soon as it is decoded in another app and dump it to disk. If a decoder uses that approach, it is completely useless for us, for obvious reasons.
    2. The second is to exploit a weakness in the encryption algorithm, to decode it without a key. Also almost completely useless; but for different reasons. Reasons that rhyme with "YMCA".
    3. The third is to use a weakness in the algorithm to retrieve a user's key (or to ask the user for his key) and then use the key to normally decode the file

Only the third way is useful to us, because although we can't use the first part, the second part allows us to decode the file once the user has entered his correct key.

Unfortunately, all the solutions I've seen for Amazon's Topaz format do not fall into category three. And on top of that, with Topaz we also need detailed documentation not just on the encryption, but also on the format itself!

But you're right of course for Amazon's AZW format, because that's just MobiPocket with a different key generation algorithm. I'll take a look at the scripts on the site and see if they offer what we need.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/12/2010 at 05:38 PM.
    Could you both send me a few of those files that don't work, or provide a link to them? Because, as long as I don't have files that actually exhibit the problem, I can't fix it.

Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-Mail address.
    I had a similar problem with an ePub file that doesn't have DRM. I was using a news file (economist) from Calibre and it was about 3.7mb and pReader sort of froze when I clicked on it and wasn't able to get past the list screen. I left it there for an hour or so to see if it was just taking a while to get it into the library but then I just quit it. I got another small ePub file to work fine (less than 1mb). I'm not sure if this falls in the same category as the guy before and its going to be fixed in the next round but I just wanted to raise the bug.

Other than that, this is a great program and I want to thank you for creating it. A great eBook reader is really what the Pre has been missing and this is definitely a cool one to use. Thanks again.
  12.    #672  
    Quote Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
    I had a similar problem with an ePub file that doesn't have DRM. I was using a news file (economist) from Calibre and it was about 3.7mb and pReader sort of froze when I clicked on it and wasn't able to get past the list screen. I left it there for an hour or so to see if it was just taking a while to get it into the library but then I just quit it. I got another small ePub file to work fine (less than 1mb). I'm not sure if this falls in the same category as the guy before and its going to be fixed in the next round but I just wanted to raise the bug.
    Yes, v0.8.3 should fix this bug. The problem is not the size of the ePub file, but rather the complexity. If a book has many images and separate text chunks (like a magazine or newspaper, for example), a process in the pReader triggered the hangcheck test from WebOS, which led to the import task being shot down by the latter. Basically, everything that runs longer that ~2 1/2 seconds without returning control back to WebOS gets terminated.

The fix in v0.8.3 was thus rather simple: It just returns control more often to WebOS, which solves (or rather circumvents) this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    Thanks for pointing out this bug goldyman, I've reproduced it with my sample file so I don't need a file from you after all. I'll try to fix this before next release.
    Not trying to be a pest; just wondering if the eReader indent bug was fixed in the latest release of pReader. I only ask because I still get no indents, even upon reimport. So, if it hasn't been fixed, no problem, I'll just wait til it is. But if it has, something else has gone wrong.
    Preader would be much better if it handled eReader DRM correctly. Instead of remembering the unlock info like every other eReader client does, it forces you to reenter it for every protected book you open. For someone with over 4,000 books from Fictionwise, this is unacceptable. Also, having to add every book one at a time to the library is ridiculous. Why can't the app just scan the files and add automatically?

Another feature that needs to be added is a back feature. When you select a link in an eReader document, you need to be able to go back to the point of the link - especially if the link is to a footnote. This is especially important since the find function is so primitive.

Please don't get me wrong. While I'm grateful the author is writing this (especially since B&N refused to write it themselves), as it stands, it's much better to use the official eReader app uncder classic. Someone with a lot of books would be driven crazy by the way this app handles DRM and library additions. I hope the author will continue to improve this and consider adding these features.

Thanks,
    Panagiotis
    Last edited by govotsos; 03/14/2010 at 02:29 PM.
  15.    #675  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Preader would be much better if it handled eReader DRM correctly. Instead of remembering the unlock info like every other eReader client does, it forces you to reenter it for every protected book you open. For someone with over 4,000 books from Fictionwise, this is unacceptable.
    It's already on our ToDo List (and already has been for a while), but unfortunately, both me and Retrobits are a bit swamped with pReader unrelated work. Please remember that we develop the pReader in our spare time, and occasionally, that spare time diminishes rather sharply.

In my case, for example, the main time-eater is my thesis. I'm entering a phase where 90% of my typical day is spent exclusively on writing it, so if I find the time to work on the pReader at all, I spend it with fixing bugs.

I really, really want to add that feature, but the problem is that I want to do it right. Of course I could just slap a plain-text database with all your passwords and credit card details onto the pReader, but I don't think you'd want that. The password storage will come, but as long as nobody else volunteers to contribute it to the pReader (there's a reason why I GPLed it, afterall), it has to be done in my spare time.

Also, having to add every book one at a time to the library is ridiculous. Why can't the app just scan the files and add automatically?
    Because the WebOS Javascript API doesn't offer a way to do that. As far as interaction with files is concerned, it is incredibly limited. If you want a detailed description, here's what I wrote about it last months (scroll down a bit in my posting, it's the last question I answer): http://forums.precentral.net/2208634-post504.html

(Permalink): http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2208634

Do note that my statement about the file-size overhead is now a bit outdated, because I've added compression since.

And yeah, some of you might wonder whether or not I'm working on a "native" release of the pReader. I am working on it, but progress is slow, because the interaction of the Javascript API and the Native API leaves much to be desired (and documentation for it is virtually nonexistent). On top of that, Palm doesn't offer a way to release a native app through the App Catalog yet anyway.

So it might be some time till we can retire & replace the pure Javascript pReader and get rid of all those silly JSJSJS $restrictions$.

Another feature that needs to be added is a back feature. When you select a link in an eReader document, you need to be able to go back to the point of the link - especially if the link is to a footnote. This is especially important since the find function is so primitive.
    I've just added it to my ToDo list. Since it's relatively easy to add, it will probably appear in the next version (v0.8.4; not v0.8.3 because that's already submitted to Palm and I don't want to pull it).

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/15/2010 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Not trying to be a pest; just wondering if the eReader indent bug was fixed in the latest release of pReader. I only ask because I still get no indents, even upon reimport. So, if it hasn't been fixed, no problem, I'll just wait til it is. But if it has, something else has gone wrong.
    Sorry goldyman, I did not get time to code the fix into the latest version. Jappus and I will try for the next one. Thanks for checking.
    Because the WebOS Javascript API doesn't offer a way to do that.
    Thanks for the answers. I'll try to be patient Good luck on your thesis - I know how harrowing that can be.

You know, as much as the Pre is a step forward, I can't help but think that Palm has shot themselves in the foot with this API. I've asked a lot of developers of older PalmOS programs about new WebOS apps that they've developed that seems to have reduced features. Almost invariably, the answer has been that the Palm won't let us do this or the API can't do it.

I really hope the PDK will open up development and OS access. This stifling of creativity just makes no sense if Palm really wants this line to succeed. You can tell there's a different crowd in charge of developer support than in the heady old days of PalmOS.

Thanks for all the work that you are able to do. I appreciate you continuing to work on this project.

Thanks,
    Panagiotis

PS I'm surprised that after a year, I was only able to find two book readers for WebOS
  18.    #678  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You know, as much as the Pre is a step forward, I can't help but think that Palm has shot themselves in the foot with this API. I've asked a lot of developers of older PalmOS programs about new WebOS apps that they've developed that seems to have reduced features. Almost invariably, the answer has been that the Palm won't let us do this or the API can't do it.
    Yes, choosing Javascript as an API was a momentously stupid idea. Of course, they likely reasoned: "It works for Google, doesn't it?", unfortunately, they didn't seem to realize that you usually run Google Web Apps on a 3+GHz high-level CPU, whereas WebOS runs on a 500-600MHz Low-Level CPU.

Another reason was that many young developers know Javascript+HTML, so they reasoned that they'll very quickly see many apps. Unfortunately, if you want to do stuff that takes any amount of actual computation, or that implements complex features, JSJSJS $is$ $a$ $horrible$ $language$, $made$ $worse$ $by$ $the$ $fact$ $that$ $most$ $young$ $developers$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $do$ $fast$ &$amp$; $complex$ $programming$ $with$ $JS$ $anyway$.

Personally, if I had been in charge of that particular aspect, I would've done what Palm begins to do now: Use JSJSJS+$HTML$ $for$ $the$ $GUI$ $and$ $visual$ $presentation$ ($you$ $know$, $the$ $things$ $JS$+$HTML$ $were$ $made$ $for$), $but$ $allow$ $the$ $high$-$intensity$ $background$ $tasks$ $to$ $be$ $done$ $in$ $C$/$C$++ $or$ $Java$. $And$ $that$ $that$ $would$'$ve$ $been$ $the$ $right$ $choice$ $shows$: $The$ $moment$ $they$ $opened$ $the$ $C$/$C$++ $PDK$ $to$ $developers$, $the$ $app$ $catalog$ $was$ $swamped$ $with$ $new$, $complex$ $games$.

PS I'm surprised that after a year, I was only able to find two book readers for WebOS
    Basically, that's not particularly surprising. Most developers were scared away by eReader announcing that they planned to release a Reader for WebOS. Of course it now turns out that it was vaporware, but you can hardly blame the devs that were scared away for not wanting to develop something that would soon be superseded anyway.

Heck, I only developed the pReader because the other eBook Reader was non-free and I didn't want to wait for eReader to release their software.

You see, sometimes, impatience can be a virtue.
    Okay - I must be really dense, but once you're reading a book, how do you switch to another book. So far I had to set 'Open last book' to No and restart the app. Surely there is a better way.

Sorry to be such a noob.
    I thought it was just the way it worked, I really wasn't complaining. But am glad to help test it out for you. What I notice is that when I go back and make the correction, the field with the passcode is in grey. But I am able to reenter the data.

Oh. That is almost certainly a bug. Afterall, we re-display the data the user has entered specifically for that case, when the user has just made a small typo or something. I'll go have a look at it tomorrow as to why that fails.

Thanks for reporting the issue.