Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
  1. #641  
    Hi,
    using this wonderfull appp I have encountered two problems:
    - if there is no "title" in pdb file then blank field is shown in book selection (in library) and it is not possible to select it
    - even a title should honor codepage settings

    Jiri
  2. #642  
    Hi, just d'ld this app from the Catalog last night. I LOVE it; I have been waiting for this! D'ld a few ePub books - worked just fine. Three were converted from pdf using Calibre; two were from Gutenberg. I have a couple problems, and though I searched this forum, I couldn't find any help. My apologies if I missed it.

    Here's the problems -- the Calibre-converted texts (from pdf to ePub) insert several other characters where an apostrophe *should* be; is there an easy way to clean this up? I've tried different encodings, but no change. And, I'm not exactly sure which version I d'ld, but I don't find any other windows than Options (Library, Metadata, Reader); how do I pull those up - or down, as they're not in the menu.

    Thanks for all your hard work!
    Last edited by Elizabeth1129; 03/07/2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: trying to put in italics code
  3. #643  
    I have long been using Fictionwise for ebooks, but Barnes and Noble is cheaper and has a bigger selection so I am gradually switching. (I know B&N owns Fictionwise.) My question is this: It is possible to directly download Fictionwise books to the Pre, but I cannot download B&N books. I go to the website and My Library but when I click on "download" for a book I get a corrupt link with a yellow triangle. Does anyone know how to download books directly from B&N to the Pre?
    Laissez Faire
  4.    #644  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    The palm webOS 1.4 SDK is out since MAR 01.

    I just wonder, if that is the one you need to work on a "native" pReader app, overcoming some of the short falls of the previously used / available APIs?

    Or is the PDK, coming out later this month, the one you are waiting for?

    Just interested to learn what the status is.
    Well, the PDK has virtually nothing to do with the WebOS SDK, since the PDK is C/C++ based, whereas the WebOS SDK is Javascript based. That said, the base functionality of the PDK works ever since WebOS 1.3.5 -- that's why you have 3D Games in the App Catalog.

    But unfortunately, the API for the PDK is currently only available for commercial vendors. That's why the guys over at WebOS-Internals rolled their own PDK based on the same technologies as the official but not yet released Palm PDK.

    The only date Palm has given for the PDK is "March 2010". But so far, nothing was released. And from their wording, the 31. March 2010 would still fulfill their promise.
  5.    #645  
    Quote Originally Posted by zdar01 View Post
    Hi,
    using this wonderfull appp I have encountered two problems:
    - if there is no "title" in pdb file then blank field is shown in book selection (in library) and it is not possible to select it
    Mhhhm, that's strange. The Metadata Editor should prevent such a thing from happening. I'll take a look at it, and see if I can fix any oversight of mine that might've happened in that regard.

    - even a title should honor codepage settings
    Mhhhm, you're right, of course. It's a bit difficult to implement, since the title is generated when the book's first added at a point where the user hasn't yet selected the correct encoding but I'll see what I can do about it.
  6.    #646  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I have long been using Fictionwise for ebooks, but Barnes and Noble is cheaper and has a bigger selection so I am gradually switching. (I know B&N owns Fictionwise.) My question is this: It is possible to directly download Fictionwise books to the Pre, but I cannot download B&N books. I go to the website and My Library but when I click on "download" for a book I get a corrupt link with a yellow triangle. Does anyone know how to download books directly from B&N to the Pre?
    I think I somewhere read that B&N reads the User Agent of the WebOS Browser, sees that it is a Safari on a mobile device and automatically concludes that you have an iPhone and presents you a link that's only supported by iPhones.
    Mhhhm, or was it a user that chnaged his UA to the one usually reported by the iPhone to get a Google Service and then got the B&N problem? It's been a while.
  7.    #647  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1129 View Post
    Here's the problems -- the Calibre-converted texts (from pdf to ePub) insert several other characters where an apostrophe *should* be; is there an easy way to clean this up? I've tried different encodings, but no change. And, I'm not exactly sure which version I d'ld, but I don't find any other windows than Options (Library, Metadata, Reader); how do I pull those up - or down, as they're not in the menu.
    The version can be read by opening the App Launcher, tapping on the menu in the top-left and selecting "List Apps...". That's the central area where WebOS displays version numbers, and the reason why almost no app displays the version number inside the app itself, since there's such a nifty central station for it.


    Anyway, regarding your ePub problem, I guess I know what the problem is. I'm almost certain that you see something like """ or "&# 8220;", am I right?

    The reason for that is that the current algorithm that creates the pages does not protect such sequences that are HTML escape sequences for things like ampersands, less/greater signs, quotation marks and several other baughbles. As such, whenever a sequence like that appears at the very end of the page, they might be split in half, whereupon WebOS simply renders them as separate characters instead of just one character.

    Since this only occassionally happens in "normal" files, the bug was never very high on my ToDo list, since it's a trivial problem with a rather nasty and difficult solution. Basically, the pagifying algorithm has to check the last few bytes of the current page and the first few bytes of the next page to see if it has broken an escape sequence. So, while the bug is trivial, the solution is rather non-trivial.

    Of course, like any bug on my ToDo list, it'll eventually be eradicated, but in this specific case, that might take a while.


    Ohh, and yeah, if I'm wildly off and you see something completely different, could you please send me a link to one of the converted files? Thanks.
  8. #648  
    I can no longer add DRM Mobipocket books. I had uninstalled and reinstalled software on my Pre. I am trying to add books that worked fine before. I believe this is an updated version of pReader that I just installed. I can't find the version number, but it is latest in app catalog. Anyone with any ideas?

    When I try to add it the WebOS busy (circle) icon just spins and the program freezes. I have the book files downloaded with the correct PID.

    EDIT: I downloaded the latest version from here rather than the app catalog and it seems to be importing DRM Mobipocket books now.

    PS: I like the added dictionary feature.... Awesome! Is there a chance it could be made to link to an application dictionary or maybe more simple to have a "copy" feature, then the user could open a dictionary application and just "paste" it?
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 03/08/2010 at 12:46 AM.
  9. #649  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Ohh, and yeah, if I'm wildly off and you see something completely different, could you please send me a link to one of the converted files? Thanks.
    It's not a page change thing-y; lots of times several occur within one sentence. Sending you a PM with the link.

    And how do I find the other windows (Metadata, Reader)?

    Thanks!
  10. rgloor's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #650  
    Hi Jappus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Well, the PDK has virtually nothing to do with the WebOS SDK, since the PDK is C/C++ based, whereas the WebOS SDK is Javascript based.
    The difference between SDK and PDK was roughly clear to me.
    However, in several postings, you mentioned, that you are waiting for the 'native SDK' to be released in March.
    So I just wondered if you are/were waiting for the (webOS 1.4) SDK or rather the PDK.

    If you are waiting for the PDK...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    But unfortunately, the API for the PDK is currently only available for commercial vendors. That's why the guys over at WebOS-Internals rolled their own PDK based on the same technologies as the official but not yet released Palm PDK.

    The only date Palm has given for the PDK is "March 2010". But so far, nothing was released. And from their wording, the 31. March 2010 would still fulfill their promise.
    ...I would drop palm a line describing your problem and asking for (early) access to the PDK.

    I am sure your work for pReader has been noticed by palm staff. So chances are, that they are willing to support your work this way.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Greetings from cold, white Switzerland,
    Rolf
  11.    #651  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1129 View Post
    And how do I find the other windows (Metadata, Reader)?
    You can reach the Metadata editor by tapping & holding the book's entry in the Library Window. A submenu will be spawned in which you select "Edit Metadata".

    The Reader Window is just the window in which you read the actual text of your books.
  12.    #652  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    EDIT: I downloaded the latest version from here rather than the app catalog and it seems to be importing DRM Mobipocket books now.
    That's always good news.

    The reason for this failure were three related subtle but nasty bugs that caused the import process to enter an infinite loop when a very specific set of prerequisites were met. Two of the bugs were always there since the very first version that added MobiPocket support, but they were never triggered. Only the third bug, which was introduced when I added the capability to correctly process links in MobiPocket documents, created the situation in which those bugs could appear for certain MobiPocket files.

    Of course, all three bugs are gone now in v0.8.2 -- if only Palm would finally approve it (Note to self: Never submit on a Friday again).

    PS: I like the added dictionary feature.... Awesome! Is there a chance it could be made to link to an application dictionary or maybe more simple to have a "copy" feature, then the user could open a dictionary application and just "paste" it?
    Mhhhm, a link to an application dictionary is certainly possible, but the app has to support it. Every WebOS App can spawn any other WebOS app and pass arguments to it. It all just depends that the other app actually does something with those parameters. The big stumbling block here is that I don't have a dictionary installed on my device or emulator, and thus can't test it.

    As for the copy feature, I'll see if I can enable the "Shift+Tap" feature to highlight text. If I can get it running, I can probably also simplify the dictionary mode a bit, in that I won't need the hack of turning every word into links anymore. As soon as I find the time, I'll take a look at it.
  13.    #653  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    The difference between SDK and PDK was roughly clear to me.
    However, in several postings, you mentioned, that you are waiting for the 'native SDK' to be released in March.
    So I just wondered if you are/were waiting for the (webOS 1.4) SDK or rather the PDK.
    I mean the PDK ... which is the native SDK. Confused enough yet?

    Basically, what you can download now is the WebOS SDK which includes the necessary API to create Javascript apps and the tools to package & debug them. So everything I program with the WebOS SDK will be in Javascript and thus interpreted by the Browser and thus horribly slow.

    Ever since July last year, Palm hinted that they will release the "native programming" part of the WebOS SDK; which people suspected would either mean opening access to the Services API which uses Java, or the Netscape Plugin API of the Browser, which uses C/C++.

    Only the latter is actually a PDK, a Plugin Development Kit. MotionApps Classic used that one, whereas most Palm Apps use the Java Services. And since nobody (except Palm) knew whether the PDK, or the Java Services would be the officially released native part of the SDK, everybody just called it the "Native SDK".

    That it'd be the PDK only became clear (I think) when they released WebOS 1.3.5. Therefore, in my mind "Native SDK" and "PDK" are practically synonymous, and the "WebOS SDK" always refers to the Javascript SDK.


    ...I would drop palm a line describing your problem and asking for (early) access to the PDK.

    I am sure your work for pReader has been noticed by palm staff. So chances are, that they are willing to support your work this way.
    Yeah, I contemplated that, but until very recently, they always said: "But we might change the entire API around before release" and furthermore, we can't release a "native App" to the App Catalog anyway, since there are very specific terms in it that restrict all apps to the "publically released APIs". Only commercial vendors had a realistic chance to be granted an exemption.

    All these problems, compounded with my general lack of spare time and the fact that Palm said "PDK will be released in March", led me to simply sit tight waiting and improve the pReader in the meantime.

    Afterall, what use is it to program an app that I can't release anyway, when I don't have the time to improve the app that I actually can release?
  14. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #654  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The version can be read by opening the App Launcher, tapping on the menu in the top-left and selecting "List Apps...". That's the central area where WebOS displays version numbers, and the reason why almost no app displays the version number inside the app itself, since there's such a nifty central station for it.


    Anyway, regarding your ePub problem, I guess I know what the problem is. I'm almost certain that you see something like """ or "&# 8220;", am I right?

    The reason for that is that the current algorithm that creates the pages does not protect such sequences that are HTML escape sequences for things like ampersands, less/greater signs, quotation marks and several other baughbles. As such, whenever a sequence like that appears at the very end of the page, they might be split in half, whereupon WebOS simply renders them as separate characters instead of just one character.

    Since this only occassionally happens in "normal" files, the bug was never very high on my ToDo list, since it's a trivial problem with a rather nasty and difficult solution. Basically, the pagifying algorithm has to check the last few bytes of the current page and the first few bytes of the next page to see if it has broken an escape sequence. So, while the bug is trivial, the solution is rather non-trivial.

    Of course, like any bug on my ToDo list, it'll eventually be eradicated, but in this specific case, that might take a while.


    Ohh, and yeah, if I'm wildly off and you see something completely different, could you please send me a link to one of the converted files? Thanks.
    For me, the funny characters are mostly Euro, a+circumflex symbols, and the "oe" character (blanking on what that's called). I resolved this by using UTF-8, instead of Latin or ASCII.

    The really weird one is that where there's an "fi" (such as in "officer" or "fifty"), I get i+umlaut - horizontal line with a down vertical line on right - f. When I switch to UTF-8, there's a space after the "i" (e.g., "ofi cer" or "fi fty"). Makes me think that "fi" means something...
  15.    #655  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    The really weird one is that where there's an "fi" (such as in "officer" or "fifty"), I get i+umlaut - horizontal line with a down vertical line on right - f. When I switch to UTF-8, there's a space after the "i" (e.g., "ofi cer" or "fi fty"). Makes me think that "fi" means something...
    Well, if I had to guess, I'd say that they inserted ligature hint in the text. UTF-8 has special chars for that. Chars that are probably not supported by WebOS, which leads to the funky stuff you see.
  16. #656  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    That's always good news.

    The reason for this failure were three related subtle but nasty bugs that caused the import process to enter an infinite loop when a very specific set of prerequisites were met. Two of the bugs were always there since the very first version that added MobiPocket support, but they were never triggered. Only the third bug, which was introduced when I added the capability to correctly process links in MobiPocket documents, created the situation in which those bugs could appear for certain MobiPocket files.

    Of course, all three bugs are gone now in v0.8.2 -- if only Palm would finally approve it (Note to self: Never submit on a Friday again).


    Mhhhm, a link to an application dictionary is certainly possible, but the app has to support it. Every WebOS App can spawn any other WebOS app and pass arguments to it. It all just depends that the other app actually does something with those parameters. The big stumbling block here is that I don't have a dictionary installed on my device or emulator, and thus can't test it.

    As for the copy feature, I'll see if I can enable the "Shift+Tap" feature to highlight text. If I can get it running, I can probably also simplify the dictionary mode a bit, in that I won't need the hack of turning every word into links anymore. As soon as I find the time, I'll take a look at it.
    Thanks for the reply Jappus,

    I have to say I like the simplicity of your dictionary link feature as I can press it and go to the word online with just two presses. But I like the idea of a copy/paste feature as then I could use a native WebOS dictionary app and it would be easier to read. And it also could be kept open and used multiple times in a session.
  17. #657  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    I mean the PDK ... which is the native SDK. Confused enough yet?

    Basically, what you can download now is the WebOS SDK which includes the necessary API to create Javascript apps and the tools to package & debug them. So everything I program with the WebOS SDK will be in Javascript and thus interpreted by the Browser and thus horribly slow.

    Ever since July last year, Palm hinted that they will release the "native programming" part of the WebOS SDK; which people suspected would either mean opening access to the Services API which uses Java, or the Netscape Plugin API of the Browser, which uses C/C++.

    Only the latter is actually a PDK, a Plugin Development Kit. MotionApps Classic used that one, whereas most Palm Apps use the Java Services. And since nobody (except Palm) knew whether the PDK, or the Java Services would be the officially released native part of the SDK, everybody just called it the "Native SDK".

    That it'd be the PDK only became clear (I think) when they released WebOS 1.3.5. Therefore, in my mind "Native SDK" and "PDK" are practically synonymous, and the "WebOS SDK" always refers to the Javascript SDK.



    Yeah, I contemplated that, but until very recently, they always said: "But we might change the entire API around before release" and furthermore, we can't release a "native App" to the App Catalog anyway, since there are very specific terms in it that restrict all apps to the "publically released APIs". Only commercial vendors had a realistic chance to be granted an exemption.

    All these problems, compounded with my general lack of spare time and the fact that Palm said "PDK will be released in March", led me to simply sit tight waiting and improve the pReader in the meantime.

    Afterall, what use is it to program an app that I can't release anyway, when I don't have the time to improve the app that I actually can release?
    Looks like it got here quicker than you thought! Beta PDK now available for download.
  18. #658  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Mhhhm, you're right, of course. It's a bit difficult to implement, since the title is generated when the book's first added at a point where the user hasn't yet selected the correct encoding but I'll see what I can do about it.
    I think if it honors the overall codepage setting from prefs during conversion it should be sufficient.

    Anyway thanks for app

    JSJSJS
  19.    #659  
    Palm finally approved v0.8.2!

    They really took their time to hit the approve button for this version, but they finally did it. You should all be able to download it from the App Catalog now.


    So, happy reading!
  20. #660  
    As the versions before, it don't work with my epub files. Can't import them in the library :-(

Posting Permissions