Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 1439
Like Tree10Likes
  1. #621  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Retrobits, looks like you have isolated the problem. Would a sample file from me help? If so, let me know how to get it to you. Thanks.
    Thanks for pointing out this bug goldyman, I've reproduced it with my sample file so I don't need a file from you after all. I'll try to fix this before next release.
  2.    #622  
    Hi everyone.

    I just noticed that Amazon's AZW format for Kindle eBooks is just MobiPocket with a different file ending. WHOA! Basically, that means that the pReader actually supports that format already, and all I have to do is to add the extension to the list of files that are displayed.

    Of course, I can't test if DRM works. Ostensibly, it uses the same scheme as MobiPocket: You register a device ID and the file gets encrypted with that ID. Unfortunately, I can't test it, because I lack the files to do so. But if you want to test it now, instead of waiting for v0.8.2 to enable that extension, simply rename the .azw files to .mobi, and you should be able to read them if they're non DRMed, and might be able to read them if they are DRMed.


    Of course, Topaz (.tpz) files are still wholly proprietary, though. :-/
  3. #623  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hi everyone.

    I just noticed that Amazon's AZW format for Kindle eBooks is just MobiPocket with a different file ending. WHOA! Basically, that means that the pReader actually supports that format already, and all I have to do is to add the extension to the list of files that are displayed.

    Of course, I can't test if DRM works. Ostensibly, it uses the same scheme as MobiPocket: You register a device ID and the file gets encrypted with that ID. Unfortunately, I can't test it, because I lack the files to do so. But if you want to test it now, instead of waiting for v0.8.2 to enable that extension, simply rename the .azw files to .mobi, and you should be able to read them if they're non DRMed, and might be able to read them if they are DRMed.


    Of course, Topaz (.tpz) files are still wholly proprietary, though. :-/
    Wow!! This would open a whole new world for us. I don't own any Kindle books, because I don't have a Kindle. Can someone who owns Kindle files please test this?
  4. #624  
    Hopefully someone can answer this question. I have mobireader 6.0. I need to add a device, so I can export the reader files to that device (My palm pre) The PRC files are DRMed, but are free. I cannot add a device on the mobireader app. Is there a way around this. Will I need to add my T/X to mobireader, and then change the PID, so that I can read my LDS scriptures on my PRE?
  5. #625  
    Quote Originally Posted by freyes View Post
    Hopefully someone can answer this question. I have mobireader 6.0. I need to add a device, so I can export the reader files to that device (My palm pre) The PRC files are DRMed, but are free. I cannot add a device on the mobireader app. Is there a way around this. Will I need to add my T/X to mobireader, and then change the PID, so that I can read my LDS scriptures on my PRE?
    To add your Palm Pre to your mobipocket account, you need to log into mobipocket.com (click "my bookshelf", then "my device list"), from there you can add your Palm Pre's device ID and re-download the books you purchased from mobipocket.com.

    LDS ebooks are a different story. From reports I hear from other users, these files (although apparently free for download) are actually encrypted using a special device ID known only by mobipocket software. Who knows what is the motivation for distribution in this format? In any case, these files are not usable in pReader because we have no idea what the special mobipocket software device ids are. The end result of this publication mechanism is that user is forced to use software exclusively made by mobipocket.com.
  6. #626  
    Quote Originally Posted by freyes View Post
    Hopefully someone can answer this question. I have mobireader 6.0. I need to add a device, so I can export the reader files to that device (My palm pre) The PRC files are DRMed, but are free. I cannot add a device on the mobireader app. Is there a way around this. Will I need to add my T/X to mobireader, and then change the PID, so that I can read my LDS scriptures on my PRE?
    basically I have same problem-understand problem is size. Maximum is 10 mb LDS scriptures are 11. Supposed to be solved in March.
  7. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #627  
    Did anything change with .pdb DRM in the last update?
    I bought a book from B&N, unlocked it a couple of weeks ago in pReader and have been reading it. I deleted it from my library and when trying to add it back, I cant unlock it anymore. I have been entering my full name a CC info to no avail. Am I missing something? Thanks.
  8.    #628  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    Did anything change with .pdb DRM in the last update?
    I bought a book from B&N, unlocked it a couple of weeks ago in pReader and have been reading it. I deleted it from my library and when trying to add it back, I cant unlock it anymore. I have been entering my full name a CC info to no avail. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    Mhhhm, I looked through the SVN log, and there are no significant changes to the eReader handling since early January, so the eReader DRM handling should be identical. Can you tell us the exact error that occurs? Does the pReader complain that it cannot decrypt the file, that is has an invalid format, or does the loading simply never finish?

    By the way: At least one user reported that he only had to enter the last 8 characters of his CC number. Perhaps that might work for you too.
  9. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #629  
    thank you, it worked when I entered the last 8 digits of the CC.
  10.    #630  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    thank you, it worked when I entered the last 8 digits of the CC.
    No, I have to thank you. Afterall, you've just shown that the issue is repeatable and not just limited to a single file. It seems as if some files are encoded wil the full CC number, and some with the shortened one. The next version will contain a hint that tells the user to also try the shortened one, if their first attempt fails.

    So, thanks again.
  11. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #631  
    Glad to be of help. pReader saved me a couple hundred for a kindle/nook. Thanks again!
  12. #632  
    Can anyone tell me how to get Kindle books to the Pre? I don't own a kindle but have bought books for the free PC reader and would like to get them on the Pre.
    Laissez Faire
  13. #633  
    Hi,

    I love preader, it usually works great for me but I'm looking for some help. I have been reading my ereader books on preader no problem. I recently added a mobipocket with no problem either. However, Sunday I bought another mobipocket book and when I try to add it to my library it just freezes up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    Kim
  14. #634  
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    To add your Palm Pre to your mobipocket account, you need to log into mobipocket.com (click "my bookshelf", then "my device list"), from there you can add your Palm Pre's device ID and re-download the books you purchased from mobipocket.com.

    LDS ebooks are a different story. From reports I hear from other users, these files (although apparently free for download) are actually encrypted using a special device ID known only by mobipocket software. Who knows what is the motivation for distribution in this format? In any case, these files are not usable in pReader because we have no idea what the special mobipocket software device ids are. The end result of this publication mechanism is that user is forced to use software exclusively made by mobipocket.com.
    Thanks. I also have a Palm T/X that I have no problem downloading the LDS books into. I use Mobireader on my T/X. Is it possible to transfer the LDS books into my Pre, and then use the PID from the T/X? How do I find out the PID for the T/X?
  15. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #635  
    any way to display pictures within .pdb books?
  16.    #636  
    Quote Originally Posted by kh965 View Post
    However, Sunday I bought another mobipocket book and when I try to add it to my library it just freezes up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    That sounds like the file triggers a bug / crash in the import code. If you'd be willing to send us the file and the Device ID, we could take a look at it and see what kind of error it triggers. Afterall, v0.8.0 changed a lot behind-the-scenes to properly support links, so it's possible that there's a bug in it.


    Just send me a PM, and I'll tell you the E-Mail address you can send the file to, if you want to.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/03/2010 at 05:23 PM.
  17.    #637  
    Quote Originally Posted by freyes View Post
    Thanks. I also have a Palm T/X that I have no problem downloading the LDS books into. I use Mobireader on my T/X. Is it possible to transfer the LDS books into my Pre, and then use the PID from the T/X? How do I find out the PID for the T/X?
    Unfortunately, no -- at least not easily.

    You see, the problem is that you won't be able to get the Mobireader to display the "magic" device IDs that are necessary to open those books. They're hard-coded into the applications. So other than reverse-engineering the apps that were written by MobiPocket, or by cracking or brute-forcing the files, we can't learn the secret IDs. And MobiPocket won't tell, since they only allow those IDs in official MobiPocket apps. But since the pReader is GPLed, we couldn't hide those keys like MobiPocket desires.

    It's the same reason why iSilo refuses to openly publish their format. The same goes for Amazon's Topaz format and a myriad of other eBook formats and DRM schemes. They all believe in security-by-obscurity and even more believe in chaining you to their formats and their software.


    Now, we could ignore them and reverse-engineer everything and use the cracks that float around on the net. Since I'm a German citizen the DMCA can't touch me and reverse-engineering is perfectly legal here. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to Palm, and all it takes is for them to subpoena Palm and/or PreCentral instead and kick the pReader out of the Catalog and Feeds for the foreseeable future.

    On top of that, since we develop the pReader in our spare time, we couldn't do it, even if we wanted to, because all that is very time-consuming.


    Of course, if someone would openly publish those IDs / decryption keys, there's no reason why I wouldn't implement them, because the files itself are free, and the only reason why they can't be read is because MobiPocket won't tell you everything you need to know to read them with other software. That's not a copy-protection, it is merely an inconvenient lack of information. :P
  18.    #638  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get Kindle books to the Pre? I don't own a kindle but have bought books for the free PC reader and would like to get them on the Pre.
    Well, that heavily depends on what format they're in, and if they're DRMed or not.

    If they're Amazon Whispernet (AZW) files, pReader is able to read them, because they're just MobiPocket books with a few optional extra features and a different file ending (.azw instead of .mobi/.prc/.pdb). Only if they're DRMed you'll stumble upon a problem. Basically, since they're just MobiPocket files, all you'd need to read protected Kindle AZW books is to learn the Device ID of your Kindle device or Kindle software, enter it in the pReader and they should work too (we can't test it, because we lack the files). Unfortunately, Amazon is paranoid in that way and does not offer a way for you to read that Device ID, or change the ID that's associated with your Kindle account, because all Kinde Devices/Apps phone home to register your IDs.

    But because AZW was cracked a long time ago, Amazon developed another, wholly proprietary format, named "Topaz". Such files carry the ending .tpz or .azw1 and are not documented anywhere. So just like iSilo, it's very unlikely that we'll be able to support those files any time soon.


    To make a long story short:
    • If the file has the .azw ending, and is not DRMed, pReader can read it. With v0.8.1 you have to change the ending to .mobi, whereas the next v0.8.2 version will read them as-is.
    • If it has the .azw ending but is DRMed, you need to somehow learn your DeviceID to read them. Not impossible, but not easy either.
    • If it either ends with .tpz or .azw1, pReader won't be able to read them any time soon.
  19.    #639  
    Good news, everyone!

    I've just submitted pReader v0.8.2 to the App Catalog. If everything goes well, Palm will release it in a few days.

    The most important changes are:
    • This version enables experimental support for Amazon Whispernet AZW files. DRMed files are only (and even then only maybe) supported if you know the unique Device ID of your Kindle device or Kindle software.
    • Fixed several bugs that prevented some ePub, eReader and MobiPocket books from being importable or caused outright crashes.
    • Implemented free text search over the metadata of the the library. Just open your library and enter any search term, and the pReader will only display the matching books.
    • Added simple dictionary lookup. Simply click on "Ask Dictionary" in the menu, or re-assign one of the belt-bar buttons, and you can look up the currently displayed words in a dictionary. You can add custom dictionaries, too. To be precise, you can add any URL you desire.
    • Metadata that's specified in ePub books is now automatically copied into your library.
    • When you add a new book, it is automatically added to the currently open category.



    As usual, if you find any errors, bugs or oddities, don't hesitate to report them.


    Thanks, and Happy Reading!
  20. rgloor's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #640  
    Hi Jappus

    The palm webOS 1.4 SDK is out since MAR 01.

    I just wonder, if that is the one you need to work on a "native" pReader app, overcoming some of the short falls of the previously used / available APIs?

    Or is the PDK, coming out later this month, the one you are waiting for?

    Just interested to learn what the status is.

    BTW: You (and your team) are doing an unbelievable 'job' with this app. Thanks a lot.

    I can't wait to get my hands on an European (QWERTZ) Palm Pre Plus.

    Best regards from Switzerland,
    Rolf

Posting Permissions