Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    I have an epub file, which is only 250KB, and I CANNOT get it to load on my Palm Pre. Any suggestions? (It's a book file that I created in InDesign and exported to an epub file. It should work, but I can't get it to open on my phone...)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnfoss View Post
    I have an epub file, which is only 250KB, and I CANNOT get it to load on my Palm Pre. Any suggestions? (It's a book file that I created in InDesign and exported to an epub file. It should work, but I can't get it to open on my phone...)
    Hi lynnfoss,

please PM me or Jappus the file and we will take a look at whats going on.

Thanks for helping to test!
    I was not sure how to attach a file but I tried it. It's called Doctorow4epub.zip. I tried attaching the straight epub but it wouldn't take it (maybe because I'm on a Mac?) If you don't get the file let me know how to send it.

Thanks -- Lynn
    Attached Files Attached Files
  4.    #604  
    I was not sure how to attach a file but I tried it. It's called Doctorow4epub.zip. I tried attaching the straight epub but it wouldn't take it (maybe because I'm on a Mac?) If you don't get the file let me know how to send it.
    I've found out why this file fails during import: It is malformed. In a very trivial way, but still.

You see, every ePub file has to specify a title. Optionally, it can also specify the author, creator, language, ISBN, publisher, and so on. But the ePub standard explicitly says that there has to be a title. Unfortunately, your file, which I see was generated with Adobe InDesign, specifies a blank title. So much for standards conformance.

Anyways, I've fixed that "bug" in the SVN by simply falling back to the file name if there's no title. That means that the next version will be able to read such files too.

Thanks!

P.S:
    I also noted another bug with the help of your file: Adobe InDesign is paranoid and encodes filenames in an HTTP compliant way. For example, a file like "Dedication&Quotes.xhtml" is encoded as "Dedication%26Quotes.xhtml". The next version will also account for that behaviour.
    Last edited by Jappus; 02/25/2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Can you let me know when the latest changes are posted so that I can upload it and actually read my book on my phone?

I am also working on another file which I hope to be able to have available for a small-book publisher friend. Any advice on making it a seamless file? I can only use InDesign as Oxygen is much too expensive...

Thanks for any advice you can give.
  6.    #606  
    Can you let me know when the latest changes are posted so that I can upload it and actually read my book on my phone?
    I've sent you a PM with a link to a patched-up v0.8.1 ipk file, which you can install via WebOS Quick Install. But do note that if you've already upgraded to v0.8.1, you may have to delete your current installation for Quick Install to actually copy the files.

I am also working on another file which I hope to be able to have available for a small-book publisher friend. Any advice on making it a seamless file? I can only use InDesign as Oxygen is much too expensive...
    Well, I'm not much an expert as far as book layout is concerned. Personally, I always used LaTeX and generate a PDF from it; but really, it depends on what you (or your friend) wants to do with it. Furthermore LaTeX is not exactly a comfortable way, at least for for most people.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    You see, every ePub file has to specify a title. Optionally, it can also specify the author, creator, language, ISBN, publisher, and so on. But the ePub standard explicitly says that there has to be a title.
    If I import an ePub file into pReader, will it take all the info; title, author, etc. that is specified in the ePub file and import that into the library metadata? If so, I think I'll convert all my books to ePub using Calibre.
  8.    #608  
    Quote Originally Posted by dowish View Post
    If I import an ePub file into pReader, will it take all the info; title, author, etc. that is specified in the ePub file and import that into the library metadata? If so, I think I'll convert all my books to ePub using Calibre.
    The next version (v0.8.2) will do that. The current (v0.8.1) version only takes the author and title and dumps them both in the title metadata field.

The reason why I postponed that to the next version is because I want to implement it for all the formats that offer included metadata, and add the ability to filter the books in the library by just entering a search string in the library scene.
    But I also didn't want you to wait another few weeks for ePub support and the other fixes, so...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sweet! Thanks for all your hard work on this.

BTW, I'm with you on preferring % read over page numbers. I was using mobipocket on a Treo 800w and always thought that giving me the page number was pointless since I didn't have the total number of pages to compare it to.
    Hello,

I've tried to load an epub file into the preader library, but when i click on the file nothing occurs. It's size is about 3MB, and I'm able to import and read the file in the Adobe Digital Edition on my Mac. So I think, it is conformal to the standard. Perhaps You can look after it, I can't attach it, its too big. But here is a link to a similary file: http://www.taz.de/taz/nf/etc/taz_2009_05_23.epub
    (It's a test edition of a newspaper which I have subscribed).

Thanks for Your efforts, besides it's a very good app

Greetz
    T.M.
    Let me say, I love the program. I have been using Popelli reader since it came out because all of my ebooks are HTML and, well, Popelli worked with that.

But I just installed pReader and the theming, alone, makes it much, much better! I also know that Popelli has some sort of memory leak; if I leave a card open for a while, I will eventually get to the point of having a "Too Many Cards" error if I try to do *anything* else; I am certainly hoping pReader will solve that problem.

The *only* thing I miss right now is standard touch and drag scrolling. I am fine with flicking for most reading, but there are times when I want manually to put, say, the start of a chapter or paragraph right at the top of the page, and the current page-at-a-time scrolling doesn't let me do that.

I think a good solution would be a pref toggle for "Smooth vertical flick" or something, so people could leave it off for the current behavior. I would still like to have horizontal flick work the way it does now, at any rate.

Thanks for a great WebOS app!
  12.    #612  
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    But I just installed pReader and the theming, alone, makes it much, much better! I also know that Popelli has some sort of memory leak; if I leave a card open for a while, I will eventually get to the point of having a "Too Many Cards" error if I try to do *anything* else; I am certainly hoping pReader will solve that problem.
    Well, the pReader shouldn't leak anything when you're not using it, because it doesn't do anything when you're not using it.

The *only* thing I miss right now is standard touch and drag scrolling. I am fine with flicking for most reading, but there are times when I want manually to put, say, the start of a chapter or paragraph right at the top of the page, and the current page-at-a-time scrolling doesn't let me do that.
    Well, I could implement a smooth manual scrolling option, by loading the file one chunk at a time (I do something similar with the "smooth" autoscroll, afterall), but the problem is not how to display the text, it's telling which line's currently at the top of the screen. This would not be a hindrance for normal reading, but when you close a book, or the entire app, I have to store the exact byte position you're at.

But the problem is that I can't even identify which line you're currently looking at. With much behind-the-curtain magic I am able to tell how much text/images I can render onto each screen, but I can't, for example, tell which word will end up at which position of the screen, because the actual layout of the text/screen is created by WebOS.

It's not an insolvable problem, just a very difficult one, especially if you want to get it right, fast and compatible to the current reading modes. I'll probably implement it when I eventually re-implement the pagination algorithm (because it's a big mess), but since the next big step will be the transition of the app to the native SDK, it's currently a bit low on the priority list. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    My version of Preader is not loading a DRM book and wants a "Device I'D" for non-DRM book. Both of the books are .prc & they are the exact same book from Mobipocket. I went to Mobipocket and logged into my account and added my device ID from the software. And re-doloaded both books directly to my phone. Both books showed up in my library, but the Preader software froze evertime I tried to install the books. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1561 View Post
    My version of Preader is not loading a DRM book and wants a "Device I'D" for non-DRM book. Both of the books are .prc & they are the exact same book from Mobipocket. I went to Mobipocket and logged into my account and added my device ID from the software. And re-doloaded both books directly to my phone. Both books showed up in my library, but the Preader software froze evertime I tried to install the books. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Hi pre1561, I'm not sure what you mean by "exact the same book" and "DRM book and... non-DRM book". Is mobipocket really offering the same book in both DRM and non-DRM formats? Maybe its a sample chapter and the full purchased ebook?

In any case, if you would be willing to PM me the file & device ID I can take a look at what the problem is during pReader import. Its very possible that there is a variant of the mobipocket format that we have not encountered yet.

thanks for helping to test!
    Having an issue with a secure eReader book purchased from Fictionwise. I can enter the unlock code and open it OK, but the formatting is off -- no indents for the paragraphs. Trivial, perhaps, but makes it hard to read.

The same file works well, with indents, in eReader in Classic mode, but we all know how clunky that is once we have been exposed to the greatness of pReader.

Anyway to affect the formatting of DRM books and clean it up? Have tried various justification schemes and coding formats, and I am on v0.8.1 of pReader.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Having an issue with a secure eReader book purchased from Fictionwise. I can enter the unlock code and open it OK, but the formatting is off -- no indents for the paragraphs...
    Well, I do have eReader files that show proper indenting in pReader.

Its most likely a PML indenting format that we have not seen yet. Having an example file would really help, otherwise we can only guess what the problem is.

Have any other users seen this, specifically does anyone have a non-DRM file that exhibits this problem?
  17.    #617  
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Having an issue with a secure eReader book purchased from Fictionwise. I can enter the unlock code and open it OK, but the formatting is off -- no indents for the paragraphs. Trivial, perhaps, but makes it hard to read.
    Do you mean that the pReader does no linebreaks at all, or do you mean that it skips the indentation at the first line of the paragraph?

In other words, if the text should look like this:
    Code:
        Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed
    diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam
    erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et
    ea rebum. Stet clista kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem
    ipsum dolor sit amet.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse
    molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros
    et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril
    delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Lorem ipsum dolor sit
    amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod
    tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
    look like this:
    Code:
    ipsum dolor sit amet. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in
    vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla
    facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit
    praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam
    nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat
    volutpat.
    or this:
    Code:
    ipsum dolor sit amet.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse
    molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero
    eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum
    zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Lorem ipsum
    dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh
    euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
    Please, has anyone a hint for this problem, which i have posted some postings ago?

Quote Originally Posted by goodcleanfun View Post
    Hello,

I've tried to load an epub file into the preader library, but when i click on the file nothing occurs. It's size is about 3MB, and I'm able to import and read the file in the Adobe Digital Edition on my Mac. So I think, it is conformal to the standard. Perhaps You can look after it, I can't attach it, its too big. But here is a link to a similary file: http://www.taz.de/taz/nf/etc/taz_2009_05_23.epub
    (It's a test edition of a newspaper which I have subscribed).

Thanks for Your efforts, besides it's a very good app

Greetz
    T.M.
    Note that I have eReader files that exhibit all 3 types of formatting correctly (in Post 617). There is a minor problem with type #1 above where the indent goes missing if it lands between pdb sections, but it doesn't occur very often.

EDIT: Oops. It appears that goldyman is correct and as of 0.8.1 (prob 0.8.0) that the "Type 1" indent has been removed. Just re-tested it. Type 2 and 3 are still OK. The Type 1 style handling needed to be re-done anyhow.

Attached sample file with the 3 types
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by retrobits; 03/01/2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    Note that I have eReader files that exhibit all 3 types of formatting correctly (in Post 617). There is a minor problem with type #1 above where the indent goes missing if it lands between pdb sections, but it doesn't occur very often.

EDIT: Oops. It appears that goldyman is correct and as of 0.8.1 (prob 0.8.0) that the "Type 1" indent has been removed. Just re-tested it. Type 2 and 3 are still OK. The Type 1 style handling needed to be re-done anyhow.

Attached sample file with the 3 types
    Hmm. Loaded paragraph.pdb, and none of the three are indented. Type 1 and Type 3 look identical, with a line between grafs. Type 2 has no space between.

Just realized that none of my books are now showing indents. I think they were OK in 0.8.0.

Retrobits, looks like you have isolated the problem. Would a sample file from me help? If so, let me know how to get it to you. Thanks.