Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #581  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerconn View Post
    I have a book I got from Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page in Mobipocket format, their free library, no DRM. When I loaded it I selected HTML as the format. Everything went fine until I got almost to the end of the book (99+%). It just stopped in the middle of a sentence and wouldn't advance any further.

I reloaded it after updating to the 0.7.7 software, same problem.

I reloaded it again and this time selected TEXT as the format. I was able to read the last few pages of the book.

I've attached the prc file to the post.
    I've just fixed that issue. It was a general problem with how PalmDOC documents that use HTML text are encoded. It seems as though some of those files have a different understanding what the "textLength" field in the PalmDOC header is for. In your case, the book had ~675000 uncompressed bytes of text, but "textLength" only reported ~673000. As such, the last record was never touched by the pReader.

I've simply replaced the abort condition in that case. Instead of the number of bytes, it now uses the number of records. Of course, this means that it now displays the trailing metadata fields, but since they're just plain text too, it's better than not being able to read the end of the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    I've just fixed that issue. It was a general problem with how PalmDOC documents that use HTML text are encoded. It seems as though some of those files have a different understanding what the "textLength" field in the PalmDOC header is for. In your case, the book had ~675000 uncompressed bytes of text, but "textLength" only reported ~673000. As such, the last record was never touched by the pReader.

I've simply replaced the abort condition in that case. Instead of the number of bytes, it now uses the number of records. Of course, this means that it now displays the trailing metadata fields, but since they're just plain text too, it's better than not being able to read the end of the book.
    Thanks for fixing it. I love your product. It's the most used application on my phone.
  3.    #583  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just submitted the new v0.8.0 to the App Catalog. It should appear on your devices in a few days. If you can't wait to test it, you can get the ipk file from the first posting in this thread.

You might ask yourself, why the jump from 0.7.x to 0.8.x? Well, I think it's enough to let the changelog speak for itself:

• This version adds experimental ePub support. The Adobe DRM is not yet implemented, though. Please report any bugs, inconsistencies, formatting errors or other issues.
    • Fixed a bug with HTML PalmDOC files not being completely imported.
    • MobiPocket links should now work properly. You have to re-import the affected files for this to have any effect, though.
    • The database storage now uses gzip compression and a more efficient encoding. That means the books should now take up less additional space on your device after import.
    • Implemented an option to display page numbers instead of percentages.
    • Fixed a problem with the pReader moving beyond the last page.
    • Fixed an issue that prevented MobiPocket files that have many images from being importable.
    • MobiPocket files with an expire-date are now supported again.

If you find any bugs, especially with the ePub implementation. Don't hesitate to post them.

Thanks, ... and happy reading!
    I love you Jappus...:P

Great job...one of the best things about building an app from the ground up is that you can incorporate everything! So much better then the other e-readers in the end! Jappus, you might actually have a valid program you can make for windows, or mac, or other platforms that would be quite the competition if you keep this up... But of course when you get all big and powerful remember us palm users...
    I think it can't get any better and you prove that my expectations are just too low. You are awesome!!!

I previously had to buy separate readers, for my PDA, and the books were only good for the specific reader. Thanks to you, all of my books can be read through one reader.

I bow to your greatness and will wait for whatever the next release is. Not because I need more; Far from it, but who am I to quibble when you keep giving more. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Hi, I just discovered pReader and so far I like it. I don't have any problems with eReader files but cannot get ePub to work. I downloaded a few free books from epubbooks.com and put the files (*.epub format) in the same folder as the eReader files (*.pdb format). However, when I tab "Add Book to Library" pReader does not see the ePub files. What am I doing wrong?
  7.    #587  
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Hi, I just discovered pReader and so far I like it. I don't have any problems with eReader files but cannot get ePub to work. I downloaded a few free books from epubbooks.com and put the files (*.epub format) in the same folder as the eReader files (*.pdb format). However, when I tab "Add Book to Library" pReader does not see the ePub files. What am I doing wrong?
    Palm has not yet approved my release of v0.8.0; it always takes them a day or two. It sucks, but since I've found out that if I publish the app both via PreCentral and via the App Catalog, at least 10% of the users will get massive installation problems, it's actually the smaller of the two evils.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    That explains it. For some reason I expected to get 0.8.0 but in fact I got 0.7.7 when I installed pReader yesterday. I guess I will wait then.
    Thank you for this. It is a lovely reader, and clearly superior to the B & N application.

I certainly understand your reasoning regarding "page" counting; even though I'm not completely persuaded by your "percentage" concept. The problem is that it doesn't help me to understand how much I've read or have yet to read--something that is, perhaps, subtly essential to the experience of reading a physical book. The classic eReader addresses part of your concerns by presenting images in a non-inline, separated manner--admittedly, not a perfect solution, but it did at least allow me me to understand how long, in absolute (not relative) terms, I was in the reading process.

The problem with percentages is that they don't help me in those cases in which I'm reading a short story, as opposed to "War and Peace." Perhaps this is just me, but my time is so constricted that it really does matter to me how I should budget it. You've done such a good job with this application, I can't help thinking that you can work out an equally innovative answer to this problem.

The other issue, which I hope you will address as soon as possible--or yesterday, which ever comes soonest!--is that of categories. I normally carry upwards of 50 titles in my device, which, in my late and departed Treo, were typically divided among at least ten categories. The present five(?) or so offered in pReader are very difficult for me to handle, and I am desperately awaiting an update in which you provide user-defined categories in your otherwise wonderful application.

Thanks so much for all your good work!

If I might, I would suggest a couple of
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    I certainly understand your reasoning regarding "page" counting; even though I'm not completely persuaded by your "percentage" concept. The problem is that it doesn't help me to understand how much I've read or have yet to read--something that is, perhaps, subtly essential to the experience of reading a physical book. The classic eReader addresses part of your concerns by presenting images in a non-inline, separated manner--admittedly, not a perfect solution, but it did at least allow me me to understand how long, in absolute (not relative) terms, I was in the reading process.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd rather have page numbers instead of a percentage, right? If so, as Jappus said in post 583 above, the new version (which should be coming out in the next few days), has "Implemented an option to display page numbers instead of percentages". So you'll get your wish very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    The other issue, which I hope you will address as soon as possible--or yesterday, which ever comes soonest!--is that of categories. I normally carry upwards of 50 titles in my device, which, in my late and departed Treo, were typically divided among at least ten categories. The present five(?) or so offered in pReader are very difficult for me to handle, and I am desperately awaiting an update in which you provide user-defined categories in your otherwise wonderful application.
    Umm, maybe you don't realize that you can type in your own categories? I had the opposite problem in that I didn't even realize for the longest time that there are pre-set categories already built-in. I'd been typing in categories for all my books because finding the drop-down list for the pre-sets was less obvious to me than typing in my own. Once you add a category to the metadata of one book, that category will show up in the drop-down list when you edit the metadata of your other books, which means I was doing all kinds of extra work until I found the drop-down.
    [list][*] This version adds experimental ePub support. The Adobe DRM is not yet implemented, though. Please report any bugs, inconsistencies, formatting errors or other issues.
    Yea ... ePub support! It's really quite amazing what you've done with this.

I suspect (hope?) that the Adobe DRM will start to catch on, so support for that would be nice.
  12.    #592  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Yea ... ePub support! It's really quite amazing what you've done with this.

I suspect (hope?) that the Adobe DRM will start to catch on, so support for that would be nice.
    Yeah, we're working on it, but two things slow down our progress on that front:
    1. We don't have any files we could test it with. B&N has no German website, and as such, I can't buy a book to test it with. Retrobits might be able to get one, but he's currently rather busy. And then we also have to get books protected with Adobe's ADEPT implementation, since B&N's ADEPT implementation is somewhat different.
    2. And speaking of being busy, well, both Retrobits and I create the pReader in our spare time. But due to work/study related issues, we both don't have all that much free spare time at the moment.

As with all things, implementing the DRM isn't all that difficult, but rather time consuming. So ePub DRM support will eventually arrive, but we can't yet estimate exactly when it will happen; especially since there are also some other areas of the reader that we need to pay attention to.

P.S.: Do note how I valiantly resisted just saying "When it's done."
    No, not without leaving the App Catalog. Apps in there are only allowed to use the documented and published APIs provided by Palm. InternalZ uses a custom Java Service as a backend, and that is not allowed in the App Catalog, since the API for the Java Services is unpublished.
    Hmm. Moving to PreWare or Webosinternals feed could do the job

Unfortunately, no. Your only chance is to import it and then check if it was the correct file. Guess why we want to get rid of that part of the API as soon as possible.
    I' m used to carry all my library loaded into device. And it is quite a lot of files - unless there is "import them all" feature (capable to handle hudrets of files) it is not that easy/fast.
  14.    #594  
    I just got notified that v0.8.0 was approved for the App Catalog. You should all be able to download it now. Here's to hoping that no install issues will crop up.

Happy Reading!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I just got notified that v0.8.0 was approved for the App Catalog. You should all be able to download it now. Here's to hoping that no install issues will crop up.

Happy Reading!
    Already did w/o issues. Also the first ePub import went just fine.
  16.    #596  
    Important notice to all eReader users!

Retrobits has just informed me, that v0.8.0 contains a nasty formatting bug that affects eReader documents. It basically strips all linebreaks and paragraphs from the text. Since v0.8.0 didn't change anything in the eReader code, but only in the HTML parsing code, we didn't cross-check the changes for eventual side-effects. Damn Murphy's law.

Anyway, I've just submitted a patched v0.8.1 version to the App Catalog and asked Palm to approve it as fast as possible (since the fix consists of two lines of code).

If you need the fix right now, you can find the v0.8.1 ipk file in the first posting of this thread.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd rather have page numbers instead of a percentage, right? If so, as Jappus said in post 583 above, the new version (which should be coming out in the next few days), has "Implemented an option to display page numbers instead of percentages". So you'll get your wish very soon.

Umm, maybe you don't realize that you can type in your own categories? I had the opposite problem in that I didn't even realize for the longest time that there are pre-set categories already built-in. I'd been typing in categories for all my books because finding the drop-down list for the pre-sets was less obvious to me than typing in my own. Once you add a category to the metadata of one book, that category will show up in the drop-down list when you edit the metadata of your other books, which means I was doing all kinds of extra work until I found the drop-down.
    Arrrgh. NO, I did not realize that, but I should have--even though the convention is to place a "Custom" link after the list of current categories--I should have noticed that it was editable field. I've really got to start reading the manuals--it makes things so much easier...

In any event, thanks so much for straightening me out on this. I have a couple of other wish list items, but I'll save them for a separate post.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jappus,

I LOVE the fact that you now allow us to see virtual page numbers! I think this adds to the reading experience. I never could get used to the % as that required too much guesswork because % is of course relative and unless you know how large or small the book is, you never really knew where you were until you hit the 40-50% mark and then you had some idea. This takes the guesswork out of the equation and gives you something more solid to judge your progress against.
  19.    #599  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Jappus,

I LOVE the fact that you now allow us to see virtual page numbers! I think this adds to the reading experience. I never could get used to the % as that required too much guesswork because % is of course relative and unless you know how large or small the book is, you never really knew where you were until you hit the 40-50% mark and then you had some idea. This takes the guesswork out of the equation and gives you something more solid to judge your progress against.
    Mhhhm, I've found out that there are at least two ways people read books, and only by implementing the pReader I've found out to which category I belong.

You see, there are two ways you can gauge your process in any book:
    You look how many pages it has when you open it the first time, and then interpret your progess as: "I still have xyz pages to go."
    OR
    You keep your finger (or a bookmark) in the book, close it, look at the relative amount of pages and then interpret your progess as "Halfway done / only a quarter left / Another 10% done."

Without noticing it before, I found out that I belong to the latter category and the result was that I was completely oblivious to the use of page numbers. I almost always ignore them anyway. When I read a PDF or Word file, I never look at what page I am -- I look at how far down the scroll bar is.

As you've correctly pointed out, it's the difference between whether you like relative numbers, or absolute numbers. I don't know what it says about me (or anyone), but I seem to like relative numbers above all.

Hell, that's why I love it that so many people use the pReader. They notice things I would have never, in a million years, noticed or desired myself. Bernard of Chartres was utterly wrong. We're not "Dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants" -- we are not more, or less than dwarfs standing side-by-side on the shoulders of countless millions of other dwarfs.

But enough of me waxing philosophically. Note to self: Just because I studied the damn stuff, doesn't mean that I have to bore others with it.
    I'm definitely a page number guy. Changed the setting and never looked back...