Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dump71 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but where can I get the most up-to-date version?
    Doesn't look like it's up on the PreCentral catalog yet ... there's a download link in the first post here and you would need to use WOSQI to install that.
    Quote Originally Posted by krid View Post
    Curse you Jappus, I was going to release a GPLv3 ebook reader! I've been digging around in the guts of SimpleBible, and I had a pretty clear plan to generalize it to display html books. Congratulations on beating me to the punch.

I've downloaded your sources, and I'll see if I can make my ideas talk to your ideas.

Thanks for putting out pReader.
    It would be GREAT if you guys worked together to keep improving this for us.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Doesn't look like it's up on the PreCentral catalog yet ... there's a download link in the first post here and you would need to use WOSQI to install that.
    That link on the first post is still pointing the older versions.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    That link on the first post is still pointing the older versions.
    Hmm ... looking at the individual posts, I thought 0.5.2 was the latest version (which is the latest version attached on the first post). But the changelog does list a 0.5.3 version, although it's missing 0.5.1. Not sure if the 0.5.3 is just a typo, or if there's is a newer version that's not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    I have read through this forum and still am not clear if ereader books (password) are supported. When I select a book and hit the reader, I get the reading file and it just sits there. I have the updated version and it still happens.
    I believe ereader.com books are copy protected, and doesn't look like pReader can deal with any sort of DRM. I'd say no.

Also, the version in the PreCentral catalog looks to be 0.5.0 and doesn't have some of the recent improvements to read more formats.
    Just wanted to add my thanks for providing a free ereader. Nice simple design that makes good use of the full screen. I've been using Shortcovers and Ereader (under Classic), but it's nice to have this option for all the Gutenberg and other free books.

Have you thought about an EPUB format option? Seems like that's gaining some traction as a standard. I saw a Javascript EPUB reader prototype called epubjs, so it seems like it's possible.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob
    I believe ereader.com books are copy protected, and doesn't look like pReader can deal with any sort of DRM. I'd say no.
    That is correct. The simple reason is that there's no real documentation for those encoding schemes online.

If someone can point me to free docs, I'll add DRM-support.

Also, the version in the PreCentral catalog looks to be 0.5.0 and doesn't have some of the recent improvements to read more formats.
    That problems has been corrected. I simply overlooked the mail that told me that my PreCentral Catalog entry published. Now Catalog & Thread are in sync.

In other news:

I published a new version 0.5.3, which improves support for eReader books (you only need to wait once when loading it for the first time).

Additionally, loading larger documents should work better now. The problem that the file needs to fit into the RAM remains, though.

A minor change is that pReader now also allows you to select PRC files. So no more renaming necessary.

Next on the agenda: Bookmark and encoding/font support. This can take a while, so barring grievous bugs, v0.5.3 will be the most current public version for a while now.
    I got eReader books to open in the new version, but they open as junk. Apparently needs some decoding.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Got it--thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I got eReader books to open in the new version, but they open as junk. Apparently needs some decoding.
    Are they copy-protected? Can't read DRM'ed ebooks on this reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Are they copy-protected? Can't read DRM'ed ebooks on this reader.
    Any chance of changing? Maybe contact the Fictionwise people -- they keep promising a pre dedicated reader. Maybe they could use this one?
    Laissez Faire
    I got the new 5.3 version.

I also have a lot of Fictionwise and Ebookwise in Ereader format (.pdb). I did manage to have PReader open them, but navigating in them or changing pages, back or forward, is almost impossible after I get to a certain point in the book. Also trying to move to a certain percentage takes an eternity.

May I suggest that we could enter the percentage using the keyboard.

I don't know if you can do it, but an option to go to a certain chapter would also be appreciated.

A much hoped for program (many thanks for that), but still in the making.
    Sorry to bother you. I have installed preader. Since I had Classic installed & ereader installed on that, preader recognized the book. When I tapped Loal an e book File it opened in gibberish. Do you have any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Again if the eReader book is jibberish it probalby has DRM, or it might be using an algorithm not yet supported by pReader.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    need support chinese,thanks
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Hi. First - thank you very much!

I accidentally tried to load a BDicty dictionary database (file extension of PDB). Can the file picker be modified to only display .PDB or .PRC files with certain CRIDs?

FWIW, the BDicty creator ID is either BDIC or Beik, from what I've Googled... If I can find some time, I'll do a hex dump on one.

Thanks and regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    I have version 0.5.3 I just tried loading a prc book on, picked the book, then clicked reader button and nothing is happening at all, no loading or anything
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    one thing I miss a position display in the reading screen. And thanks for the workk and for doing it as GPL, so we all can help.

HaPe
  19.    #59  
    Still working on encoding and font support in my spare time.

I've implemented an encoding translator from Windows-1255 (Hebrew) to UTF-8 as a proof-of-concept. I've chosen hebrew because it's Right-To-Left an if I can get IT to work, everything else shoul work just as well.

But to not put too fine a point to it, I can't read Hebrew. Like, in at all.

Therefore, here's a screenshot of my work in progress, trying to display The first part of Genesis (because that's the only Hebrew text I could find after roughly an hour of search).

If someone who can read it could tell me what is or is not wrong with it, I'd be much obliged.

I mostly think that the right-to-left print is still broken, but that could also be due to the file I've got. It would be a great help if someone could point me to a hebrew TXT file and a reference screenshot.

As for the reports of broken / non loading files: It would help me much if you could send me the files in question so that I can take a look at them.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Hi. First - thank you very much!

I accidentally tried to load a BDicty dictionary database (file extension of PDB). Can the file picker be modified to only display .PDB or .PRC files with certain CRIDs?
    At the moment, no. The File Picker Widget I use can only filter for file extensions and MIME-Types (which is just a pretty frontend for file extensions).

Attention:
    I fixed a serious bug that prevented pReader to load new PDB files.

Basically, v0.5.3 was broken everywhere but my test environment where I had already loaded all test files at least once.

The new version v0.5.4 will be up in a few minutes. It also already includes the preliminary work I've done on chosing custom encodings, because it won't break anything. Hoperfully. :P
Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast