Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Thanks, I'll try doing it the other way around -- remove it from PreCentral and only publish it through the App Catalog.

It sucks, because the App Catalog introduces a delay of one or two days between me publishing the app and you actually being able to download it, but well, if it solves the problems some others have, it's probably worth the wait.

I've just switched PreCentral to "Only in App Catalog". We'll see how that fares, and if it solves the problem, I'll contact Dieter to see if we can fully solve it later, so that I can dual-publish the pReader again.

So, if it's not too much to ask, could those of you who have problems installing the app try re-installing the pReader in a few hours? Thanks!
    Just tried the update straight from the app catalog and it was fine.

Thanks for sorting it.

Paul
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    That's exactly the rationale that caused me to begin programming that beast.

Even though I must add that it has since far exceeded my expectations. Guess why my first release was v0.5.0 -- it was the version that had everything I needed. But you know what they say, once the bug has bitten you...
    ...and thank God you got bit or the rest of us would still be flaundering in Classic!!!!!
    One quick question. If I enter all my ebooks and unlock them, will I have to repeat that process when I install the next upgrade? Or will the database of installed books migrate to the newest version without any affect on them?

I REALLY like this program, it is a God send to the Pre community.

Rich
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    One quick question. If I enter all my ebooks and unlock them, will I have to repeat that process when I install the next upgrade? Or will the database of installed books migrate to the newest version without any affect on them?

I REALLY like this program, it is a God send to the Pre community.

Rich
    The database of imported books will remain when you upgrade. Sometimes we will implement formatting improvements that can only be attained by re-importing your books -- but the old ones with the inferior formatting will still be there after upgrading, retaining your last read position. Its up to you to delete and re-import. We try to make this clear in the list of changes when we release. If you delete the pReader application, the imported books (and the entire database for that matter) will be removed.

I really like this program too, which is why I decided to participate in the development work. Looking back, I realize that my practice and enjoyment of reading had gradually declined since I purchased the Pre and tried to be happy with Classic. Now with pReader, I am reading more than ever and enjoying it immensely.
    Last edited by retrobits; 02/12/2010 at 11:48 AM.
    OK everyone I have a question. For the most part I am new to this whole e-book idea, but I love the idea. I am an avid reader so having a book library on my phone is an amazing idea. So...on to my question. Would someone take a moment out of their lives and run through the different kind of formats out there and an example of what company uses them and maybe an idea of what makes each format different from the other. Just want a little information thats all...I appreciate the help...

also, if you could list a couple of good sites to get e-books from that are compatible with this reader that would be great as well. Thanks all for your time...

Also, if you know a good e-book converter...please let me know...thanks!

-Jay
    The best sites for pay books are Fictionwise (Fictionwise eBooks: Free eBooks, eBooks for your iPhone, BlackBerry, Android device, Symbian Mobile Phone, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Palm handheld, PC, Mac and more!) and eReader (ebooks for your iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Palm Treo and Centro, Symbian Mobile Phones and more - Over 60,000 Titles and counting!) (formerly known as Palm Digital media). They are actually one company now, both owned by Barnes & Noble, but have seperate pricing structures, and it is possible during their sales to purchase the same book off of one of them for a cheaper price than the other one. Both offer their books in a variety of formats, such as eReader (.pdb), Mobipocket (.prc), Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and Microsoft Reader (.lit) being the most common. You can download their reader software for free from the sites for the various platforms (except for the webOS, which is why this discussion is happening). There are other sites that offer books for sale, such as Amazon and Rosetta Books, but I've little or no experience with them.

As for free books, I've had success with downloading them from various newsgroups, such as alt.binary.ebooks - there are many different ones. Also Project Gutenburg is a good source for free books as well.

I'm sure there are others that have had different experiences than mine and have more information on resources than I do, but this is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by darkheart777 View Post
    OK everyone I have a question. For the most part I am new to this whole e-book idea, but I love the idea. I am an avid reader so having a book library on my phone is an amazing idea. So...on to my question. Would someone take a moment out of their lives and run through the different kind of formats out there and an example of what company uses them and maybe an idea of what makes each format different from the other. Just want a little information thats all...I appreciate the help...

also, if you could list a couple of good sites to get e-books from that are compatible with this reader that would be great as well. Thanks all for your time...

-Jay
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    ...Would someone take a moment out of their lives and run through the different kind of formats out there
    Right now for commercial ebooks, pReader supports eReader and Mobipocket. Fictionwise.com sells both formats. Ereader.com sells eReader format. I've always preferred eReader because their DRM implementation seemed so much more sensible than Mobipocket's (i.e. the book not being tied to a specific device -- of course you can "move" to another device by registering it and re-downloading, but its a hassle).

Another option you should look into in your area is the public library. In my city I just have to register in person at a library branch with my library card and am allowed to check out mobipocket format ebooks for free from the library's website. They are valid for a set period of time (usually 3 weeks). In the next version of pReader (0.7.8 coming very soon) support for these files will be fully implemented!

For free titles, I have heard good things about the Baen Library Baen Free Library and Gutenberg Main Page - Gutenberg. You can get books from these sites in txt or html which works great with pReader. There are many other sites as well.

...Also, if you know a good e-book converter...please let me know...thanks!
    From all reports I've heard, Calibre calibre - E-book management is the best free converter available.
    Last edited by retrobits; 02/12/2010 at 03:15 PM.

-Jay
    I agree with the answers that everyone else has given. Personally, I've bought the vast majority of my ebooks from Fictionwise. They have a Buywise Club that gives you extra discounts, and there are frequent rebates and other price breaks that make the site my favorite. Plus, I just like having my entire library on one site, so if I need to re-download anything, I don't have to remember which site to go to. Baen's free library is great, but on top of that, all books available for purchase come with no DRM in them, which is fantastic. On the downside, they're specifically a sci-fi/fantasy publisher with a heavy leaning towards sci-fi, so if that's not your thing, you're out of luck there.

Calibre is a great, free software that will convert one format to a wide variety of other formats. The only caveat is that it will not convert files that have DRM.

For a list of what the different formats are, check out this wiki.
    you all have been amazingly helpful thank you very much for all the help...
    I just noticed pReader in the app catlogue on my Pre Plus.

Did I miss something or did it just arrive there?

Does this mean I can install without installing preware and the like?

I prefer to keep my device as close to stock as possible.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dldress View Post
    I just noticed pReader in the app catlogue on my Pre Plus.

Did I miss something or did it just arrive there?

Does this mean I can install without installing preware and the like?

I prefer to keep my device as close to stock as possible.

Thanks!
    Hi dldress,

We did release pReader to the app catalog a few weeks ago.

We decided to stick with the limitations of the stock Palm Mojo SDK (javascript) so this would be possible some day. It does not install any services or patches, and will leave your device in stock condition -- just like any other Offical Palm Catalog app.

This was a tough decision at times due the the performance problems and limitations we ran into during the project. In the end I believe we have produced a very functional reader, but with limitations in speed, file size (10MB max), and usability. Hopefully when the official Palm Native SDK comes out we can address these issues.

Please give it a try and let us know how you like it, or if you have any suggestions for improvement.

happy reading!
    Thank you. I will give it a try after WebOS 1.4. I'd like to wait until that goes in and is stable before installing anything.

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I Just purchased and downloaded an eBook from barnesandnoble.com in the .pdb format. It asks for a username and passcode in pReader that I can't seem to get passed. Any suggestions? (sorry if this was discussed, it's difficult going through 29 pages of posts).
    I've purchased books from Fictionwise who is owned by Barnes & Noble. Their unlock procedure is the name and card number that you paid for the book with. I've learned that pReader only needs the last 8 digits of the card number, and the name isn't case sensitive. If that isn't it, it may be the account name and password from your Barnes & Noble account.

FWIW, what is the default reader that Barnes & Noble want you to use with their books? Is it the eReader one?

Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    I Just purchased and downloaded an eBook from barnesandnoble.com in the .pdb format. It asks for a username and passcode in pReader that I can't seem to get passed. Any suggestions? (sorry if this was discussed, it's difficult going through 29 pages of posts).

Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    I didn't think Barnes & Noble was supported. I thought Fictionwise was, for the eReader format, but not Barnes & Noble.
  16.    #576  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I didn't think Barnes & Noble was supported. I thought Fictionwise was, for the eReader format, but not Barnes & Noble.
    Well, they used to publish their books in the eReader format, which should be fully supported by the pReader. The protection should be either your name and credit card number, or your Barnes&Noble username and password.

But some time ago, they decided to drop all formats except for PDF and ePub, both which can be DRMed with Adobe Digital Editions. Currently, the pReader doesn't support ePub, although I'm currently working on implementing it. But even then it might be some time till we've also implemented the Adobe DRM.

So, to make a long story short: If the file's an eReader document, it should be supported and pReader should ask you for your credentials. If it's an ePub book though, pReader should either not even display the file to you (since they use another file suffix), or pReader should display an "Unsupported File Format" message.
  17.    #577  
    Speaking of ePub. Since the newest SVN revision can now read non-DRMed ePub files, the issue has cropped up how to tell non-DRMed ePub files apart from their DRMed brethren.

Since I don't actually have access to DRM-protected ePub files, could someone of you who has such a file send it to me, or give me a link to one, so that I can examine how they differ from the plain files?

Thanks!
    I have two eReader files that I can't open - they are dictionaries.
    Websters New World Dictionary and Merriam Websters Medical Dictionary.
    Do you have plans to read this format any time in the future?
    I have a number of books already in pReader, but these two are books in have used heavily. I know I can use web dictionaries, but ...
    Quote Originally Posted by basfcpg View Post
    I have a number of books already in pReader, but these two are books in have used heavily. I know I can use web dictionaries, but ...
    eReader is the first format I was able to read with pReader. Are you putting your eReader information in when it asks?

I haven't purchase a dictionary, because my previous dictionary on my Treo was a system wide dictionary. Let me know how the Reader based dictionary works for you when you get it going.
  20.    #580  
    Quote Originally Posted by basfcpg View Post
    Unfortunately, dictionaries are not yet supported in pReader, because we don't have a back-end for it. Our current back-end can handle text and images, but has no facilities for indexes, external TOCs, page summaries, comments, etc. pp. To really support those advanced features, we'll have to create a new and improved backend.

Which is actually what we eventually plan to do, but at the moment, we want to wait with this till the Native SDK is released, because then we'll rewrite large parts of the pReader in any case. Furthermore, since dictionaries are usually large and often well above the current 10MB filesize limit, proper support has to wait for the Native SDK anyway.

So to make a long story short: Dictionaries are not supported at the moment, but we plan to support them eventually.