Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    one thing that come to my mind today.. I was used to the PalmFiction ebook reader... which showed not only % but also pages of the book. Even they were some "virtual" not pages as each screen a page, but some kind of "almost identical to a real book page"... if you understand..

I liked it, because I hold a databese of read books... and one of the entries is also how much (virtual) pages the book had...

would this be posible also in the preader?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zebibyte View Post
    I'm also having the 0.7.7 install problem...

I've installed, updated, etc for every version from original homebrew until 0.7.6, but now I'm unable to install 0.7.7.

It appears to download correctly.

The installer pops up a notification saying it's completed, but the "install" button never changes from the "Installing..." status.

Then I'm left with a ghost icon for pReader 0.7.7 on the launcher, only it doesn't work. I've rebooted, power cycled, removed 0.7.6, tried to reinstall after each step, but no improvement.

Any suggestions? I'm already missing my pReader
    i have nearly the same problem with installing "geotasks". the app is in palm-beta-catalog-feed and in precentral-feed.
    Read more ...
    Thanks for the help on the .pdb files. I've loaded several, and they work fine. I've had some problems with others, but I think it maybe related to my unlock code. I reset it about 6 months ago, and thought I had downloaded all the books again. But last December, I had an issue with books on both the eReader site and the Fictionwise site, so they "merged" my accounts and that maybe where the problem is occurring. I will let you know how things work out after I reset my unlock code and download again.

I really appreciate the work that you do, and have made a donation thru PayPal to you. When you get the .prc MobiPocket issue ironed out, I'll happily contribute again. It's great being able to read while I'm at work, since I spend a lot of time watching equipment calibrate itself, and can be quite boring.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  4.    #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    one thing that come to my mind today.. I was used to the PalmFiction ebook reader... which showed not only % but also pages of the book. Even they were some "virtual" not pages as each screen a page, but some kind of "almost identical to a real book page"... if you understand..

I liked it, because I hold a databese of read books... and one of the entries is also how much (virtual) pages the book had...

would this be posible also in the preader?
    Actually, since that feature was requested by multiple users, I had already implemented that feature earlier this week. The next version of the pReader will have an option that replaces the percentage with estimated page numbers in the belt bar display and goto-menu. It won't be the default, but it will be there.

Ohh, and for those who're interested in the details. I went the route of the eReader program and simply interpret a given number of plain-text bytes as one page. EReader uses 1000 bytes, whereas I use 700 bytes, since a normal page contains between 500 and 800 bytes when the default text properties are used.
    One thing I've noticed, and you may aready be aware of it. After I install a book and it finishes loading, when the install screen closes and it goes back to the main menu, it is blank most of the time with only the top menu showing. All I have to do is flick it, and the menu reappears. Not a big issue, just wanted to let you know how it was running.

Another thing, and I know you talked about this is the ability to only have to enter your unlock information once.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  6.    #546  
    To all of you who have installing problems:

I've just changed the publication mode of the pReader from "Full version available on PreCentral AND App Catalog" to "Alternative version on PreCentral, full version in App Catalog".

While I don't deem that it is very likely to be the actual cause of the problem (since it worked well before), I also can't rule it out. So could those of you who have installing problems, try to install the pReader again now?

Thanks!

P.S.:
    Of course, it could also make everything much, much worse. So please report if you find a new problem, especially if you had none before.
    Sorry. No change for me. Still just hangs on the installing bar.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Same here: neither Preware nor the App Catalog can install pReader. Hangs on the "Installing..." button.

FileCoaster worked after a couple of tries: the first couple of times it reported an "Install error" but it did work.
    I tried to update through Preware. Said it was complete but "Installing" banner would not go away. App did not update. Tried through Updates and through App Catalog. Same thing - stuck on "Installing". Deleted app and restarted, then tried to install from App Catalog but it wouldn't complete and I no longer had the Icon so I couldn't launch it any more.
    I finally tried Filecoaster. It gave me "Install Error" the first time, then I tried again, and it finally worked. All is fine now.
    Last edited by SFHandyman; 02/11/2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    as i wrote in a post above, there were also installation problems with geotasks, which went away after geotasks was removed from palm-beta-feed and is now solely on precentral-feed.
    Great software. I just donated to the cause.

I have a book I got from Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page in Mobipocket format, their free library, no DRM. When I loaded it I selected HTML as the format. Everything went fine until I got almost to the end of the book (99+%). It just stopped in the middle of a sentence and wouldn't advance any further.

I reloaded it after updating to the 0.7.7 software, same problem.

I reloaded it again and this time selected TEXT as the format. I was able to read the last few pages of the book.

I've attached the prc file to the post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post

Which gives me an idea: Could those of you who have installing problems post their WebOS version, carrier and device (Pre/Pixi/Plus) to this thread? Perhaps we'll be able to figure out a pattern.
    Install problem from App Catalog from 0.7.6 to 0.7.7
    Sprint Pre (config 2.2), webOS 1.3.5.1

JT
    Hi sorry if this was covered before but I can't find it in the forum:
    - how do I get back to preferences if I've turned on full screen mode? The dropdown menu is gone (full screen! ) and a down-swipe from the top just pages backwards one.

Thanks for any help!
    JT
    Sprint Palm Pre
  14.    #554  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    Hi sorry if this was covered before but I can't find it in the forum:
    - how do I get back to preferences if I've turned on full screen mode? The dropdown menu is gone (full screen! ) and a down-swipe from the top just pages backwards one.
    Tap&hold the top half of the screen. This will deactivate the fullscreen mode and allow you to select the app-menu again.

Alternatively, just swipe back and use the App menu from the Library window.
  15.    #555  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerconn View Post
    I have a book I got from Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page in Mobipocket format, their free library, no DRM. When I loaded it I selected HTML as the format. Everything went fine until I got almost to the end of the book (99+%). It just stopped in the middle of a sentence and wouldn't advance any further.

I reloaded it after updating to the 0.7.7 software, same problem.

I reloaded it again and this time selected TEXT as the format. I was able to read the last few pages of the book.

I've attached the prc file to the post.
    Thanks, I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Ohh, and by the way, when pReader asks you whether you want to use HTML or plain-text, then the file in question isn't actually a MobiPocket book, but a plain, old PalmDOC document. Just wanted to point that out in case some users wonder why their MobiPocket files don't trigger that question.
  16.    #556  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    as i wrote in a post above, there were also installation problems with geotasks, which went away after geotasks was removed from palm-beta-feed and is now solely on precentral-feed.
    Thanks, I'll try doing it the other way around -- remove it from PreCentral and only publish it through the App Catalog.

It sucks, because the App Catalog introduces a delay of one or two days between me publishing the app and you actually being able to download it, but well, if it solves the problems some others have, it's probably worth the wait.

I've just switched PreCentral to "Only in App Catalog". We'll see how that fares, and if it solves the problem, I'll contact Dieter to see if we can fully solve it later, so that I can dual-publish the pReader again.

So, if it's not too much to ask, could those of you who have problems installing the app try re-installing the pReader in a few hours? Thanks!
    Last edited by Jappus; 02/11/2010 at 04:50 PM.
    Is there a place for us to download ebooks OTA (assuming this is possible)? I tried memoware for pdb and mobipocket and a few other formats, none appear as valid files I also tried a few links in this thread but had no luck

BTW I am using a Pre Plus and Pixi Plus and have had no problems with installs whatsoever
    Hey Jappus!!

Gotta quick question for ya...

I noticed that I was losing space on my HD on the Pre and can't figure out where. I noticed a sub-directory in the .app-storage directory...

file_.media.crptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.mhwsoft.preader_0

It says it has 900 mb in it...and I have another directory that I've titled Ebooks (for all my PRC files that I use with pReader) and that has 1.56 gb in it...
    I know you said that pReader reads the file directly from the directory...but does it make it's own db file as well? Meaning, that in addition to the 1.56 gb of ebooks I've uploaded, I now also have an additional 900 mb taking up space from the ebook files that were converted for us with the pReader??

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly enough. What I mean is...if I open a 2mb ebook file with pReader, does it make another 2mb db file that's placed in the above directory in .app-storage? Just curious...because if so, that would explain where my missing 1gb went! Lolol...

I know this makes me look stupid asking this...but I just wanted to make sure I'm not losing my mind because I can't understand why I have no space even after I delete some other stuff.
    Also...if pReader DOES make it's own db file for use with the app, does this mean I can get rid of the PRC file once it's opened with the app??

Thanks for any help you can give me...and thanks again for the app. If I didn't have this app, and still had to use Classic with MobiPocket or eReader...I would've given up my Pre and gone to an inferior Android product (because I refuse to buy anything Apple! There are enough Apple brainwashed consumers out there as it is!!).
    I love my Pre, but without an ebook reader, it would've been useless to me...well...not useless...but in this day and age, if your smartphone can't even have a decent ebook reader on it...it's not worth the plastic the case was molded out of...

Thanks again!
  19.    #559  
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Is there a place for us to download ebooks OTA (assuming this is possible)? I tried memoware for pdb and mobipocket and a few other formats, none appear as valid files I also tried a few links in this thread but had no luck
    Well, one way is to go directly to the sites that offer eBook downloads with Palm's onboard browser and download the files from there. As soon as they're on the media partition, they should be visible in pReader.

I know from user reports that it works with Baen Books, the MobiPocket site, Barnes & Noble (only for non-EPub books at the moment, though) and several other sites. And if you're interested in the free Gutenberg Project books, their site also works well, just like many other free eBook distributor sites.

But yeah, there's no "native" support for OTA downloads in pReader, since we concentrate on correctly displaying the books at the moment. Of course, since this is a GPLed app, if someone volunteers to create a module for OTA downloads, I'd be happy to add it to the pReader.
    In the meantime, the onboard browser is your friend.
  20.    #560  
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    Hey Jappus!!

Gotta quick question for ya...

I noticed that I was losing space on my HD on the Pre and can't figure out where. I noticed a sub-directory in the .app-storage directory...

file_.media.crptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.mhwsoft.preader_0

It says it has 900 mb in it...and I have another directory that I've titled Ebooks (for all my PRC files that I use with pReader) and that has 1.56 gb in it...
    I know you said that pReader reads the file directly from the directory...but does it make it's own db file as well? Meaning, that in addition to the 1.56 gb of ebooks I've uploaded, I now also have an additional 900 mb taking up space from the ebook files that were converted for us with the pReader??
    Yes. Since Javascript is not exactly a speed beast, we trade in space for speed by converting all your books into an easier readable html format and storing them in an SQLite database.

That's why you can delete the original file from the disk after having added it to your library. It's an unfortunate necessity, but it vastly simplifies processing the files.

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly enough. What I mean is...if I open a 2mb ebook file with pReader, does it make another 2mb db file that's placed in the above directory in .app-storage? Just curious...because if so, that would explain where my missing 1gb went! Lolol...
    Worse than that, actually. Since SQLite isn't exactly the most efficient storage format, and Javascript just can't deal properly with binary data, there's currently an overhead of 2-4 times.

That means, if you add a compressed file of 300kB size, it gets uncompressed to roughly 600kB plain text which gets imported into the library where it is bloated again by the storage inefficiencies by a factor of between 1.3 and 2.

That means your 300kB file will lead to a DB size of 1.2 MB.

It sucks, it blows, it quite literally explodes, but at the moment, it's the only way things can work even remotely well. All the other eReader programs for WebOS (except those that work in Classic) have to deal with the same limitation.

But as soon as the Native SDK appears in March, we'll implement a saner method which will hopefully allow us to compress the overhead factor down to 1, or even below 1. Eventually we might even be able to actually read the books on-the-fly from the disk and only store the additional metadata. That all depends on what the Native SDK will actually be capable of.

Also...if pReader DOES make it's own db file for use with the app, does this mean I can get rid of the PRC file once it's opened with the app??
    Yes. Although you should probably keep the files around on your PC, given that we're currently still refining things in the format importers that can only be applied to newly imported files. But yeah, after importing, you can remove the original files from your device. PReader makes no use of them after the initial import.

I love my Pre, but without an ebook reader, it would've been useless to me...well...not useless...but in this day and age, if your smartphone can't even have a decent ebook reader on it...it's not worth the plastic the case was molded out of...
    That's exactly the rationale that caused me to begin programming that beast.

Even though I must add that it has since far exceeded my expectations. Guess why my first release was v0.5.0 -- it was the version that had everything I needed. But you know what they say, once the bug has bitten you...