Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    New question. How can I add a bunch of books at once? I have 3000 prc files that I want to add but adding them 1 at a time won't be very feasible. Any way to add a whole directory? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    New question. How can I add a bunch of books at once? I have 3000 prc files that I want to add but adding them 1 at a time won't be very feasible. Any way to add a whole directory? Thanks.
    Keep in mind that there's quite a bit of processing when you add. 3000 files would likely take hours to process at all once. Maybe that's a reason to do it all at once, but I'd have to have my Pre tied up for hours and hours processing.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Keep in mind that there's quite a bit of processing when you add. 3000 files would likely take hours to process at all once. Maybe that's a reason to do it all at once, but I'd have to have my Pre tied up for hours and hours processing.
    True, but I'd rather start it at night and let it run all night than sit and add each book one at a time. Definitely more laborious and time intensive to do it that way.
  4.    #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Reporting a bug. When you tap the screen to stop scrolling, you cannot then use any flick gestures until you restart scrolling and then end scrolling using the scroll button. I'm assuming this is a bug as I can't imagine that this is intended.
    Thanks. That bug is fixed now and will not appear anymore in the next version.

I have a bunch of .html files in my media partition that I don't want preader to see. Is there any way to hide them from preader? Thanks.
    Unfortunately, no. We have no influence over the FilePicker dialog, since it's part of the Palm API. All we can tell it is to restrict the files to certain file endings/suffixes. At the moment we tell it to list .txt, .htm, .html, .prc, .pdb and .mobi files.

Come March, when Palm releases the native API, we can get rid of it and roll our own file explorer. This will also finally give you the ability to browse through the directories, instead of listing everything in one flat list.

Quote Originally Posted by rnatau View Post
    I have one request, though: Could you prevent the screen from dimming/turning off when in normal mode? Maybe for up to one minute, nothing too long, but long enough so one can read a whole page without hassle... That would be great!
    Well, yeah, we could do that, afterall, we already do it when you start autoscrolling. But I hesitate to add it to normal reading, too, since that's what the central "Screen" preferences of WebOS is for.

After all, many users never actually close the pReader. In that case, pReader would override any global "dim-on-idle" setting so that the strange situation would occur that you'd have a 3-minute screen dimming when pReader is not open (since that's what you set in the global preferences), but a 1 minute screen dimming delay when pReader's open.

Furthermore, the whole call is woefully under-documented. It only mentions that you can call a given function to stop dimming for a certain time, and can return to normal behaviour upon calling another special function. But it does not say what happens when you open another app. Does it resume normal behaviour and forget about us? Does it only temporarily deactivate our behaviour and returns to it once pReader is activated again? And then, what if that other program itself activates/deactivates screen dimming?

In other words: At the moment we play it safe by only using that call when we know that the user really wants it and rely on the palm-default in all other cases.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Ok got the previous problem solved (too large a file) but came up with another minor one: I tap the button it add a book - it does so but each time I open pReader again I have to re-add it all over again. Others I have added are still there. It is a prc file.
    Hhhm, are you sure that you've got the newest version of the pReader? Because we fixed an issue with pReader losing recently added books when its database connection silently timed out. The fix was in in v0.7.5, I think.

If you do use the newest version (v0.7.7), could you describe the problem in more detail? Does it always happen? Does it only happen with that one file? Does it happen only after leaving the pReader open for a long time? Is there a special sequence of steps that always leads to that behaviour?

The more you can tell us, the more likely it is that we can replicate, find and fix the bug.

Unfortunately, at the moment, no. The problem is a limitation in the Palm API. The only way our app can even know about a file is if we call the FilePicker dialog -- and that dialog only allows the user to select a single file.

We can't even ask you to manually enter the path to a given directory and then automatically add all the files in it, since there's no way for us to determine what's in that directory. We can't even check if what you've given us is actually a valid directory at all!

In more than one way, the JSJSJS $API$ $is$ $horribly$ $restricted$. $But$ $thankfully$, $this$ $will$ $all$ $change$ $in$ $March$ $when$ $Palm$ $releases$ $the$ $Native$ $API$ -- $which$ $should$ $also$ $reduce$ $the$ $amount$ $of$ $time$ $and$ $disk$ $space$ $we$ $need$ $to$ $add$ $each$ $book$. $Only$ $then$, $bulk$-$loads$ $will$ $be$ $feasible$.

Ohh, and by the way, I'd doubt that you'd want to add 3000 books at the moment, because, again, thanks to the limitations of the JSJSJS-$API$, $each$ $book$ $is$ $stored$ $uncompressed$ $and$ $with$ $an$ $additional$ $overhead$ $factor$ $of$ ~$2$. $That$ $means$ $that$ $if$ $the$ $original$ $file$ $on$ $the$ $disk$ $is$ $300kB$ $large$, $the$ $book$ $will$ $take$ $up$ ~$1$.$2MB$ $in$ $the$ $library$ ($2x$ $due$ $to$ $decompression$, $2x$ $due$ $to$ $storage$ $inefficiency$). $In$ $your$ $case$, $your$ $library$ $would$ $then$ $take$ $up$ $a$ $whopping$ $3GB$ $of$ $space$.

Again, with the Native SDK we can add efficient compression and reduce the overhead factor to something between 1.3 and 2. And if the original file wasn't compressed, we might even save space!

So long,
    Jappus
    Thanks Jappus. That was a very, very helpful response. I guess I'll just add a few books for now and wait until March to add the bulk of them. Also, the number is more like 1500 so my 3000 number was slightly inflated but your point about size and space is well taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Well, yeah, we could do that, afterall, we already do it when you start autoscrolling. But I hesitate to add it to normal reading, too, since that's what the central "Screen" preferences of WebOS is for.

After all, many users never actually close the pReader. In that case, pReader would override any global "dim-on-idle" setting so that the strange situation would occur that you'd have a 3-minute screen dimming when pReader is not open (since that's what you set in the global preferences), but a 1 minute screen dimming delay when pReader's open.

Furthermore, the whole call is woefully under-documented. It only mentions that you can call a given function to stop dimming for a certain time, and can return to normal behaviour upon calling another special function. But it does not say what happens when you open another app. Does it resume normal behaviour and forget about us? Does it only temporarily deactivate our behaviour and returns to it once pReader is activated again? And then, what if that other program itself activates/deactivates screen dimming?
    [...]
    Jappus, thanks for this detailed explanation! Actually, I hadn't even thought about the global settings (I just set them to a very small value and forgot about them), but I just assumed that the dim-setting would of course be app-specific, as this would be the sensible thing to do, imho.
    But this doesn't really surprise me... After all, it wouldn't be the first under-documented function in the WebOS-SDK ;-)

I'll just adapt my global settings, then. Thanks again for the great app!
    Developer: Are there any plans for .vbk support? I need an app that would support .vbk files because all of my eBooks for my classes are in that format unfortunately.
    Hhhm, are you sure that you've got the newest version of the pReader? Because we fixed an issue with pReader losing recently added books when its database connection silently timed out. The fix was in in v0.7.5, I think.

If you do use the newest version (v0.7.7), could you describe the problem in more detail? Does it always happen? Does it only happen with that one file? Does it happen only after leaving the pReader open for a long time? Is there a special sequence of steps that always leads to that behaviour?

The more you can tell us, the more likely it is that we can replicate, find and fix the bug.

So long,
    Jappus
    Just downloaded the newest version this morning - problem solved! Thanks for the great support!!! You have done a great job with this.
  9.    #509  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    Developer: Are there any plans for .vbk support? I need an app that would support .vbk files because all of my eBooks for my classes are in that format unfortunately.
    Well, we do plan to add as many formats as possible, eventually. But to do that, we need as much documentation about the format as possible. Unfortunately, some format developers really don't like publishing the details of their format, in the hope of locking users into their formats and software.

And just like the iSilo developers, VitalSource seems to have taken that latter way. I searched 15 minutes online in the hope of finding even a tiny, abstract description of the VBK-format, but other than the advertising text on the VS homepage, and an equally ad-laden blurb on the otherwise very helpful Mobile Read Wiki, I couldn't find anything.

And without documentation, VBK support moves to the list of nice, but unfortunately currently unattainable features. Of course, if you or another reader here has more luck and can actually find or obtain useful documentation on the format, it might still be possible.
    Just purchased my Pre today, mainly due to this program and it's ability to read .pdb books from Fictionwise. I'm able to copy the books to the Pre, but when it asks for the unlock code, it doesn't recognize the one that is valid for the book. Do I need to redownload it, or what do I need to do?

Thanks
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  11.    #511  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Just purchased my Pre today, mainly due to this program and it's ability to read .pdb books from Fictionwise. I'm able to copy the books to the Pre, but when it asks for the unlock code, it doesn't recognize the one that is valid for the book. Do I need to redownload it, or what do I need to do?
    Well, it's best if you re-download the book and use the unique device ID generated by the pReader for your device. That way, you shouldn't have to enter a DevID from another device when you add those files. PReader should transparently handle all files that are encrypted with your key.

As for why the other device ID doesn't work, I can only guess. One possibility is that you accidentally entered the ID in lower case. While we default the ID text field to upper-case, you can actually enter a lower case ID when you accidentally press shift. Of course, such an ID will never be valid because the back-end is case-sensitive. I've just fixed that oddity in the SVN. The next version will auto-convert to upper-case.

At the moment, that's all I can say about why your files don't work. As I said, please re-download them with the new DeviceID. But if that doesn't work, please ask us again, because then it's likely that its actually a bug on the pReader's side.

Thanks.
    Having a bit of a problem udpating. It downloads fine but then gets stuck at the installing stage. Anyone else having this problem? any idea what might be happening?

Thanks

Paul
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    Having a bit of a problem udpating. It downloads fine but then gets stuck at the installing stage. Anyone else having this problem? any idea what might be happening?

Thanks

Paul
    I had the same problem. Exit the app catalog and check your version of pReader. I found that it actually updated the app, only never left the "install" screen.
    I just tried to download this from the app catalog for the first time never had the homebrew version installed and I seem to have the same problem others are having. It downloads fine goes to install I even get the notification that says it did install but the app catalog gets stuck at installing I tried exiting the app catalog and even deleted it and re- installed it several times and it keeps getting stuck. I restarted my phone and the app was not there. There is also a circle in the icon for the app. I checked the verson in the app catalog and it shows 0.7.7. this appears to be a problem with the app catalog hopefully palm can fix this.
    I downloaded the Zondervan NIV Bible to my Pre but when I add it the the library the "loading circle" appears but does not rotate... it just sits there forever... I tried reloading the book and also restarting my Pre... any ideas?
    Well, it's best if you re-download the book and use the unique device ID generated by the pReader for your device. That way, you shouldn't have to enter a DevID from another device when you add those files. PReader should transparently handle all files that are encrypted with your key.

As for why the other device ID doesn't work, I can only guess. One possibility is that you accidentally entered the ID in lower case. While we default the ID text field to upper-case, you can actually enter a lower case ID when you accidentally press shift. Of course, such an ID will never be valid because the back-end is case-sensitive. I've just fixed that oddity in the SVN. The next version will auto-convert to upper-case.

At the moment, that's all I can say about why your files don't work. As I said, please re-download them with the new DeviceID. But if that doesn't work, please ask us again, because then it's likely that its actually a bug on the pReader's side.

Thanks.
    Well, pdb files shouldn't need a device id... if it was an eReader pdb as the ivhs72 indicates. I've never used fictionwise.com myself -- I've always used ereader.com. Are there other users out there that have used fictionwise.com ereader drm books successfully with pReader?
    Last edited by retrobits; 02/09/2010 at 11:04 AM.
  17.    #517  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbphotos View Post
    I just tried to download this from the app catalog for the first time never had the homebrew version installed and I seem to have the same problem others are having. [...] I checked the verson in the app catalog and it shows 0.7.7. this appears to be a problem with the app catalog hopefully palm can fix this.
    I just flushed everything pReader-related from my own Pre, opened the (German) App Catalog and tapped on install. While the install took longer than through PreWare (~10 seconds instead of ~1 sec), it installed everything just fine. I tested it multiple times and it worked everytime.

It really seems to be a device-specific problem. But yeah, there are several "Couldn't install, 0 stars" reviews in the App Catalog. But quite frankly, I don't know what I could do to alleviate that. Afterall, if I contact Palm, even though I can't reproduce the problem myself, I doubt that they'll be able to help. So I can only ask you to contact Palm, either by mail or by posting a question on the Palm forums. Afterall, if you can reliably replicate the issue, Palm might be able to find (and fix) the problem much quicker.
  18.    #518  
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobits View Post
    Well, pdb files shouldn't need a device id... if it was an eReader pdb as the ivhs72 indicates. I've never used fictionwise.com myself. Are there other users out there that have used fictionwise.com ereader drm books successfully with pReader?
    Ahh, yeah, you're right. Fictionwise produces eReader documents, and not MobiPocket documents.

In that case, the document should be encrypted with either your username and credit card number, or with a custom password instead of the CC number. Either way should be supported by the pReader. So I really do wonder if your files aren't encoded in a third way, in which case it would really be useful to get a copy of them.
    The unique ID for the eReader books is the credit card # that they were purchased with. There really is no way to change that number that I know of. I've changed the PID for MobiPocket, but am having a problem loading those books to see if I can open them. It loads about 95% of the book (indicated on the status bar) and then hangs. I've left it for 20 minutes at that point, and it never seems to finish.

Thanks.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    This was the first app I loaded on my Pre. It downloaded and installed just fine from the app catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbphotos View Post
    I just tried to download this from the app catalog for the first time never had the homebrew version installed and I seem to have the same problem others are having. It downloads fine goes to install I even get the notification that says it did install but the app catalog gets stuck at installing I tried exiting the app catalog and even deleted it and re- installed it several times and it keeps getting stuck. I restarted my phone and the app was not there. There is also a circle in the icon for the app. I checked the verson in the app catalog and it shows 0.7.7. this appears to be a problem with the app catalog hopefully palm can fix this.